Bonnie Tyler’s ‘I need a hero’ blasted out from the small stereo in the kitchen. Sauce pans were spread along the cooker, spaghetti in one, and the bolognese in the other. A twenty-one year old Ororo entered the kitchen, swaying and signing along to the music. Her mother followed pursuit. They were both smiling, this was how it was supposed to be, wasn’t it?

“Africa, mom, I’m going to Africa!” She beamed. Her friend Amara had moved there a few years back and invited Ororo over there for her wedding. The tickets had been booked by Amara’s fiancée, months before.

“Uh-huh. And by plane no doubt?” Her mothers voice sounded young, but her age ridden face said otherwise.

“What’s wrong with flying?”

“Remember how I told you that your father and I were going to go to Cairo when you were six months old?” N’Dare’s back was turned as she stirred the pasta.

“Yeah, it came up some.”

“Our flight was cancelled, reasons unknown. We didn’t try to re-booked, as I said it was a sign from the goddess. David didn’t argue. It was five years after that, that the house we had brought was taken down, a plane went straight through it, luckily no one was hurt. But just think of what would have happened if we had re-booked.”

“You and daddy are just too superstitious.” Wait didn’t that happen. She shook the thought away. No they were here that’s all that mattered.

((Ororo!)) She turned, her eyes wondered, “Who’s there?” She Asked, pulling her arms around her.

“Ororo, are you okay baby?” N’Dare’s voice rang out, but to the unconscious ears of Ororo it was a distant memory.

“This is wrong, your not real! Nothing here is real!” She screamed, and sank to the floor, hugging her knees close to her chest, as she watched the image fade into darkness, only to be lured into another dream.


The darkness slowly changed into white walls. Her mind had created a bedroom, wooden draws, a wardrobe, a four-poster bed, where she now stood. A Stetson placed on her head, shadowing her eyes. The bed sheets rapped around her frame.

She had a visitor.

A sly smile was plastered on her face, “You better get back, your wife will be wondering were the hell you are.”

“I doubt that darlin’, she’ll be grading papers back at the school.” The older man opposite replied, as he buttoned up his shirt.

“Still we don’t want her to be suspicious now, do we? Just think of what could happen if she finds out your shagging your own student.” She pushed herself up, and walked over to him. Draping her arms around his neck.

“She’s all knocked up with the principle, so don’t worry.”

“That loser. He’s more gay than anything. He had more fun when I dressed up in his clothes and let him cut my hair,” Her teacher looked at her with surprise, knowing that she’d probably been through half the male teachers by now. “His orgasm came in five minutes of the main event.”

“Poor Scooter,” He kissed her harshly. “I better get going.” He said as they pulled apart. He took his Stetson from her head and placed it on his. He winked at her, “See ya ‘Ro”

“My parents are out tomorrow, you’ll drop by wont you Logan?” Ororo asked, drawing him in for another kiss.

“I’ll try and get away.” He said against her lips, as he parted them with his tongue. He pulled apart soon after, and headed towards the door.

“Don’t forget to take a shower after, okay? Don’t want any slip-ups!” He winked at her again. As they made their way down stairs, and to the front door. When his car was out of sight, she tried to remember how she got here with him in the first place. All she seemed to remember was that Alannah Myles ‘Black Velvet’ had played that night-their song- as the rain fell.


It was their fault that she got trapped here. Outsiders.

~**~

“Charles?” Hank asked, as he rubbed his temples. For das they had been trying to wake her, but so far she had slipped faster and further away. Charles was finding it hard to reach her, and Jean wasn’t any better. Together it was just useless, or so it had proven. “You look tired my friend, maybe you should rest?”

“You are probably right Henry.” He frowned. He placed a hand on Ororo’s forehead, for comfort. His or hers? She was his prize student, but she was also the daughter he never had. In those two years they seemed to share a bond, one that allowed them to speak freely with one another, no hold backs, or regrets.

“Any progress?” Both men seemed to have aged greatly, during the week. They had both been up late at night ‘til early hours of the morning, tying to find a solution. The lack of sleep had definitely had it’s toll.

“I’m afraid not. She seems to be either ignoring my presence or blocking me out. I can not seem to reach her. I’m afraid that we will soon reach the impossible. So much so that she will not wake.”

“Maybe we’re trying to hard. Everything is possible Charles, the impossible just takes a little longer.”

“Perhaps in some cases that can be true, Hank, but so far I have been lead to believe otherwise. Somehow she is living out everyone of her deepest desires, if it is to be older or much younger, maybe even the same age but under different circumstances.”

“Such as…”

“Such as her parents are still alive, or mutants do not exist. What I think her mind is trying to do is find one in which she prefers to the others as to stay there. We may already be too late.”

“Could mutants possibly exist in her dream world, but her not being one,” Charles nodded, “It would be so if her parents fate is changed.” He added for his own understanding.

“She is at war with herself. Figuring out what is real or not…”

“Is that how she pushed you out earlier?”

“Yes, I was given just a moment to project her name, but that was all. It distracted her, though some how she remembered that particular setting was not real,” Hank nodded, “I don’t know Hank! For once I do not have an answer.”

“You have an answer Charles, it is just the wrong one. I must say on Ororo’s part that her strength is amazing.” Charles quirked up an eyebrow, he focused. The frown on his face showed his deep concentration, “Charles?”

“Perhaps it is someone else’s doing. A stronger telepath.” The pair stopped at the lift’s doors, and waited as the doors opened, and they slipped inside.

“It could be that her powers are growing, and it’s taking a huge impact on her body and mind. But yes there is a chance it could be another mutant. I will run some tests tomorrow. Unlike some of the students I need to sleep.”

“Yes, I do agree with you on that one. Good night Hank.” Charles said as he came to a halt at his bedroom door. Hank kept on walking.

“Night Charles.” He replied as he continued his journey down the hall and to his darkened room, were slumber took control.

~**~

In the depth of Ororo’s mind it was raining as it had been on the first night, their first night. Once again she found herself venturing outside, and her feet finding their way to his house, to Logan’s house. She was hopeful that his wife, Jean, was out with friends, so she could see him, have him. She had to have him. She couldn’t wait until tomorrow, which was now only hours away.

She knocked on the door once, twice, three times, until she heard his voice, “I’m comin’.” She smiled, soon he would be. He opened the door with enough force to break the hinges, unlike most people, she didn’t jump or flinch, she just stood there.

He smiled at her, as her blue eyes met his, “Hey ‘Ro.” Her gaze left his as she looked around his large frame, scouting for any signs of his wife. “She ain’t here,” She nodded, “Come on in, if ya think ya can handle it.” He moved aside as she squeezed passed. He closed the door, and crushed his lips on hers, causing her to moan.

Pulling apart she said, “I can handle anything!” He pulled her into another heart aching kiss, and she knew that it was going to be a long night.

It was all about presence.





You must login () to review.