Eight days ago…

It was dark, it was quiet. But for Logan it was not too quiet. His sensitive hearing picked up the beating of all the students, even through the walls. He refused to sleep. What had happened between the Munroe kid and him was no coincidence nor was she in her right mind, but neither was he. So instead of sleeping he listened. His ears twitched, a ruffle of footsteps swept through the hall, a scent followed. Amara. He groaned.

He slid out of bed, and just as calmly pulled up a pair of sweats. ‘It would be cold out’ he thought, as he threw on a jumper. He opened his door and followed her scent downstairs, until her figure became visible. He crouched, letting his ears detect any hint of noise. The door opened, he heard it click. He looked round the corner steadily, not to give away his position. Almost as if knowing she was being followed she turned her head, her eyes looking straight at him but not seeing him. Move.

He stayed low down as he moved. When he reached the out doors, the air hit him like an ice pack to the face. He scowled. He sniffed the air, he shuddered as he caught her scent, almost sneezing. He kept the pace steady. The wind drifted, as did her voice. He caught some of the conversation, not all of it.

“I’m paying you good money for this Jason, so you do it right.” Her words sounded harsh, rehearsed. Jason, Jason who?

“Yes Miss, you have my full services, what you ask, I shall comply.” It sounded as if he was under mind control, or was it just the money. He was scared more than anything.

“You better. Otherwise my dad will be on you like a cat, you‘ll say bye-bye to the hellfire club, and Wyngarde industries. I just hope the brilliant Mastermind can fool the great Xavier.” Her voice became harsher, like sand paper on stone. Unbearable torture for sensitive hearing, daredevil would be in his grave by now.

“What is it you wish of me.”

“The girl in this picture, find something that’ll amuse her…in here!” She said, pointing at her head, gesturing to the mind. “She’s troubled, so I’m sure you’ll find something she deeply wants in there.” From her coat pocket she retrieved a thick envelope, money. Jason took it and put it in his own pocket, keeping a firm hand placed over it for safe keeping.

“her natural defence shields are strong, but I can break her, easy.”

“Good now go, your starting to creep me out.” He looked at her blankly, and left into the shadows.

Logan stood from his crouching position, and leaned against the wall, pulling out a cigarette from his jumper pocket, lighting it with his Zippo. He could smell her as she got close.

“What was that all ‘bout darlin’?” He asked making he jump as she faced him.

“What was what about Wolverine?”

“That ass Jason?” She quirked up an eyebrow, she opened her mouth to speak, but instead found her knee connecting with his groin. He growled, “Big mistake!”

“I doubt it.” And with that she left. Only to be faced with him again the next day, to have things get out of hand. It was his fault that they went to see the principle, he used his mutant abilities first. The last time he saw her was when hank barged in like a maniac, because of Munroe, the grin she had on her face.

~**~

Eight days after…

The girl known as Rogue stalked the hall ways. In the students quarters all the lights wee off, as were they in the teachers quarters. She hated the dark. The light in the lab still blinked. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be fixed.

She stopped outside Ororo’s room before going in, she had to admit, she was rather nervous, even if Ororo was in a coma. It still made her feel guilty for all those times that she had stuck by Amara. Bitch, she really was, she could see it know.

She stepped forward, and pressed her knees against the bed, she started to suck on her teeth, unsure of what to do or say. She opened her mouth but no words came. She stood there in silence for a while, until she found comfort in holding the warm yet lifeless fingers of the goddess. Tears slid down her cheeks in an uncontrollable river.

“Ah’m sorry, Ah really am. Ah never meant to hurt anybody,” The words came out in an uncontrollable pace, much like the tears she shed. “Ah know what it feels like not to have a family, and Ah have doubts and insecurities, maybe it’s ‘cause Ah’m so insecure that I take it out on other people, y’know for attention. Ah just wanted to give yah my attention, Ah thought yah might be lonely, bein’ on yah own down here in…this… creepy…place.”

Of course she was given no reply, the tears came faster, “Ah’m so sorry.” She said again.

Ororo’s eyes flickered open, but the blue that was usually held there was lighter, like a blind mans eyes, no pupil could be found, the colour faded, Rogue swore she could see lightening dance. She tried to remove her hand but Ororo’s grip was strong. It frightened her. In one quick movement Ororo’s other hand took hold of her wrist clamping it down. She twisted Rogues arm slightly as she sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed.

She smiled. Rogue shook her head from side to side trying to release her arm, but Ororo’s grip tightened. The weather witch pulled Rogue down slightly, so their eyes met. Ororo’s lips brushed hers, as she frantically pulled away. It hurt, unbearable pain cursed through her body. Ororo’s tongue parted her lips, as the kiss deepened, Rogue’s tears for her had dried, as tears from her own pain, made their mark. It wasn’t long before the mutant wilted to the floor. Unconsciousness took over.

Ororo blinked. Her feet touching the cold tiled flooring. It looked different to her, her eyes did not see a medi-lab, instead a well furnished library. To her it had not been Rogue who she had kissed, but a young man. Her mind projected it. No Jason projected it. Unknown to Rogue and to her, he had been in the room, to others he was a wall, his mutant ability made him create illusions, hence his name, Mastermind. He could make her believe what she wanted to believe and more.

Tears framed her eyes, as the young figure fell, but she blinked them back. Her feet cushioned by the red carpet and she took what felt like her first step. She didn’t need to look around, had not time for it. She reached the door and with a steady hand, opened it and walk up the hall, which to her was not grey with metal walls, but wooden and garnished with priceless paintings, again she had no time to admire them.

She walked up the long stairways, her hand skimming the banister as she climbed. She reached yet another hall way-the student quarters. Right at the end like a distant spec lay a door. Her objective. Her red ball gown flowed behind her as she moved, another trick of Jason’s, after all a hospital gown wouldn’t have heightened the imagination.

Unknown to them both Logan lay awake and alert. Her scent drifted into his bedroom. He sniffed the air twice to make sure he was correct, vanilla, sandalwood and rain. Her feet blocked the landing light escaping into his door for a second. He removed his bed sheets and swiftly removed himself from his bedroom, watching her movements. She was not herself, her scent and body were her own, but her mind was not.

Her hand took hold of the door handle, turning it enough to hear a click. She swing the door on it’s hinges. Another stair case, one that lead to the attic, her bedroom. The smell of sandalwood grew stronger as her feet hit the wooden floor. The balcony’s French doors swung open gently, the curtains flew on the breeze.
She moved silently to the railings. Like Rose from titanic she climbed, over pulling herself to the other side, but unlike rose, Jason screamed into her mind to jump. Her face unafraid.

Logan burst through the door, smelling more than just her scent. He saw her holding onto the balcony her hospital gown blowing gently in the wind. Using his nose, Logan followed the unknown scent, coming face to face with a wall. He slammed his fist into it, hard, causing a shriek. He lashed out again as the mans figure appeared, Jason lay crumpled on the floor. Logan smashed his foot into his stomach, before turning his attention to Ororo. His eyes widened, as she let go.

“Ororo!”

As fast as his legs could carry him, he ran, jumping over the railing, one hand held the railing so tightly it made his knuckles ach, the other held her wrist. Her body shock violently, her head snapped upwards, the blue in her eyes regained their natural colour. “Logan!”

“Could use a little help here.” She frowned, but complied all the same. Using the winds she lifted herself up taking him with her. She lost her balance as her feet hit the flooring. Logan went down with her. “Careful.” He said, as she held on to him, almost for dear life. He was her anchor. She cried. He stayed with her, but her tears did not seize.





You must login () to review.