With a flick of a switch, the kettle slowly boils. The water bubbling with enthusiastic heat, shaking vigorously, almost as if it’s unable to take the strain. The light goes off, the process is only half complete, the water poured into a plain white cup. The tea bag mixing it’s taste. Milk is soon added, the journey complete. Though sugar is sometimes needed to satisfy.

Life is not so easy as making a cup of tea. Making life can seem simple, but living out that life, is another story. It’s harder when your different.

~**~

I can see things that most people can’t, and they can see me. Its been this way since as long as I can remember, well the day I met Jean, and her two adorable children, then it was Moira. Everyone and I thought I was schizophrenic, but that idea went out the window the day I re-met my parents. When they came back everything changed, I did some research on each ‘make believe’ person that I could see, only to have it spelt out in front of me as clear as day…they were all dead.

They told me that the reason they were still walking was because they had not been let go. But how can people let go something so close. People are selfish, including myself. Letting my parents go meant being alone, forever.

I can walk down the street, and I can see them, sometimes it’s hard to determine them from us. But I can tell, I’ve had practice. With them, unlike the living, they had an eerie glow about them, they don’t talk, just listen. They follow, and aren’t followed, they go unnoticed by the human eye, me being an exception.

Their hollow, because their ghosts.

~**~

!993- 13years ago, one minute to midnight.

“Happy 15th birthday, Ororo”

They celebrated, they cheered, the adults drank. Damn them! It was her fifteenth birthday and the main surprise was yet to come.

They came in, by the window, without making a sound. The kitchen light shone dimly as the bulb ran thin. The male participant of the two, scouted round the room, his eyes resting on a hard back book-Kiss the Girls, by James Patterson. It belonged to the young girl who lived in this house hold, so he took it for a romance novel. Though it was rather the opposite, a psychological thriller.

They continued up the countless stairs, until they reached the lone room in the attic. The door creaked as they stepped inside. Discarded clothes lay about on the bedroom floor. There on the bed, their target lay.


She felt them enter before she heard them, her body shivered from the feeling of the new sensations. Her hand firmly placed under her pillows, her eyes open wide with fear. She felt them close in, the hairs on her neck standing tall, as a chill flew through the air. She closed her eyes tightly, as she prayed for her safety.

“ARGHHHH” The knifes blade, sliced through the air, almost effortlessly. The point halting at the invaders chin. All she could make out was the outlines. Two. Not one. Two. Shit.

“Leave me be!” She whispered, they did not comply. Who were they? No one moved, they were all like statues, still lifeless.

Keeping her weapon in the air, her free hand travelled to the night stand, her night light. All those hours that she should have been sleeping, had been used for reading all thanks to this little accessory. At the moment she switched the it on, she regretted it. Her life had been fine, but now her imagination had gone too far.

The knife fell on to the mattress, as she lost all control of her movements, as fear kicked in. she silently screamed into her pillow, the sounds muffled as the escaped the pillows cover. Her body finally gave up, as she fell into a deep slumber, her ‘nightmare’ had only begun. And all through the night they waited.


The sun shone through the window as she woke the following morning. Believing what she had saw last night to be nothing but a dream, she opened her eyes, to be met by two pairs of dark brown. Shocked she fell backwards and tumbled onto the floor, the bed sheets going with her.

“W…who…What…I saw you…” The pair smiled. The smile that had always been welcome in her heart, but had soon faded along with lost memories. “I saw you die!”

The woman spoke, “We have been searching for you, a whole ten years.”

“I saw you DIE!” Tears fell down her cheeks as she repeated hollow words. All they could do was nod along and agree. She had watched them die, crushed among the debris of an old fallen building. “It’s impossible, your dead…your dead.” The tears did not stop. Warmth spread though her, the impossible touch of her mothers hand, was brought to her cheek. “I’ve missed you.”

“And we have missed you.”

“This is impossible,” she muttered. “my mind is projecting holographic images due to lack of sleep. that’s more believable, so that’s what it is, yeah, a hologram.” The man, her father, rolled his eyes.

“It’s a gifted Ororo, Have you not seen strange occurrences lately. There is only one word for us, daughter, we are-”

“No don’t say it.” She said placing her hands over her ears, shaking her head.

“Ghosts.”





You must login () to review.