05. The Fire Within

Summary:
This one’s got a lotta Jean n’ Scooter in it…and I do mean A LOT!! And no, it is not Schizoid-Phoenix…not here.

“What do you mean you wanted to kill him?”

He didn’t believe his ears. He couldn’t believe them, believe what they had just heard…not only heard but also seen, the psychic projection as clear as if it were a real occurrence.

How could she? No. It just wasn’t true.

“Jean?” Still more shocked than horrified at the possibility, he tried again. “Jean! Answer me dammit.”

“Yes Scott,” as off tilt he was feeling at the moment, the sheer evenness of her tone sent Scott for a toss. “I wanted to kill that man.”
“Bu-Buh…” there now it was even more clearer. Any doubts that remained from her previous admission of, ‘we’d be better off with that man dead,’ all of them were swept away by this burst of clarity.

“You don’t mean that.” Still he wasn’t ready to give in. How could he? Not only was it unexpected, it was also entirely unwanted…if not needed. Although the thought had flashed through his mind too, there was no way Scott would take or participate in taking a human life. “Please tell me you don’t mean that.”

This time around, instead a verbal answer or even a telepathic one, all she did was lock eyes with him. Eyes that always shimmered with love and care, eyes that he used to lose himself into, those heavenly emerald orbs…they were cold and hard, almost as if they were truly made of stone.

“Oh god,” his hand smacking and holding his forehead, Scott fell back onto the bed of the suite that he shared with the redhead standing a few feet from him. “You do mean it.”

“Yes Scott.” Jean acceded softly. “I do…and you would too if you were in my place, if you had seen what I saw.”

“What you saw?” It was true, for all they had witnessed, neither Scott nor any of their other teammates had had the mentally harrowing experience that Jean had…alone. Even that first (and only) unexpected emotional assault, it had been ‘second hand’ for them. But Jean? She had not only experienced all that first hand but through the psychic web that she had spread out, she got hit with projection from the others in the base. The others being the soldiers and civilian workers…every single one of them.

Still, it did not preclude her from respecting the sanctity of life.

Even more so her than anyone else…for she had a taken an oath to do so.

She was a doctor.



“What did you see Jean?” Even though, thanks to the Professor, Scott himself (as the other X-Men) had been cleansed of any remainders of Jean’s intrusion, Scott was feeling the same unease that had been with him from that very moment. And with Jean currently suppressing their psychic link, both for her recovery and his, the lost feeling was compounded many time over. “What did you see? Please…tell me.”

---

//Flashback//

Maintaining a lookout, both visual and telepathic, Jean was finding it increasingly hard to maintain her control, not because of any problem from any of her teammates but because of the ever rising panic being projected by the other people in and around the lab.

They were afraid, every single man on base was afraid, and surprisingly (for her) almost none of it was attributed to any one or all of the X-Men. Instead, there was a looming darkness within all of them, a darkness with a roughly humanoid shape and soul-chilling blazing red eyes…and something else, something that eerily looked like rather long but oddly still roughly straight fingernails to her. And what was even more odd was instead of the usual five on each hand, there were only three here.

Already strained, the telekinetic-telepath all but buckled over as a literal burst of painful energy came up through one of her channels.

“ORORO!!” Her heart sank.

**Ororo,** Trying again, telepathically this time, Jean reeled at the aftershocks of being shot. Only it wasn’t her who had been shot. It was her best-friend.

‘No. No god, please no.’

--

**Sco….** Rushing to her teammate’s assistance while calling for backup, the already unsteady X-Woman got assaulted yet again causing her feet to finally give up from under her, as (almost) did her senses.

If things had been bad before, now they had just taken a turn for the worse. Within seconds of Ororo’s cry, the fear and panic among the soldiers had jumped multiple-fold. And even more than that, the dark shadowy presence that had been in all of their minds, the same that had been essentially silent until now…it got a ‘voice’ of its own.

And to say that it radiated anger was like saying that a nuclear bomb was just a glorified firecracker.

‘N-Nnn….’ The redhead ate dirt…literally, closing up in a fetal position with her hands grabbing her head in an effort to block out any and all thoughts…even her own.

//End Flashback//


---

“Oh God,” His eyes wide behind his ruby-colored glasses, Scott ran his hand through his hair, trying to make something out of what Jean had told just him.

“Why-why didn’t you…” he halted, his analytical mind kicking at the most inopportune time. “But that still doesn’t explain what you did to that man Wraith or why you are saying you were ready to kill him.”

What she had done to that man?

---

//Flashback//

“You things are not human,” Wraith yelled after the retreating Jean. “NOT human. You are nothing but…AarRGGHhhh….” His word got cut off by the cry that tore from his chest…perfectly in time with invisible force that knocked his shoulder off its joint.

“Wha-…” It didn’t take a genius to understand what had just happened. After all, among the gathering there was only one who had the powers to accomplish this. “Marvel Girl don’t…”

Scott might as well have spoken to empty space as disregarding, both his verbal and projected plea, the redhead turned and started back towards Wraith.

KRRACCKK!!

“AAARRGH…” This time around, it wasn’t just a simple dislocation that elicited the cry, this time around, Wraith found his whole lower arms turned frontside-back. The cracking sound that had caused even the X-Men to wince, it had come from the breaking of the major’s elbows, both of them.

“We are WHAT!!” Jean’s voice boomed in the wide empty countryside. At getting no reply except for painful whimpers, she carried on. “Let me tell you what we…what I am. I am a woman. I am a daughter, a friend and even a sister. I am also a doctor. And the fact that I am a mutant is just a part of who I am…of WHAT I am. I never asked for this or stole it from anyone. It was just something I, something all of us were born with.”

**Jean....please.** The plea knocked at her, only to be neglected.

“What we are, are just people…people who want nothing else than to live their lives in peace, and without fear, fear of prejudice, fear for our wellbeing…not only ours but also those around us. We don’t use our abilities to harm another…to do…”

**…THIS…** Wraith went stock still at the voice that boomed inside his head.

**If I want I can kill you with a single thought…IF. I. WANT. But…** The presence withdrew.

“…We are not like you, like the rabid animal that you are.”

If anyone expected a response from the Major, they got it from the growing wet-spot in the front of his tattered pants.

“And if you ever come even near any of us or even try to harm another mutant…” the verbal threat trailed off, with the remainder once again sounding telepathically.

**You WILL die.**

//End Flashback//


---

“Scott, he…” tears flowing down her rosy cheeks, Jean shook her head almost as if trying to clear away the memory of the projections that Wraith had sent out along with his threats to hunt and kill the X-Men. She did not even want to think about them, let alone open them up for Scott to see.

“Ssshh…sshhh…” Scott did not allow her to continue, drawing her to her chest in a tight embrace. He was an A-1 grade tool for putting her through this. What had the Professor told him? Oh, yes. ‘Please see to that she does not stress herself.’

‘Great job you did Summers,’ he cursed himself. ‘Maybe the Professor should have said that please see that YOU do not stress her, dumbass.’

--

A few seconds of silence and Jean drew away, got up and walked to the bathroom, reaching for her box of Kleenex to wipe her tears away.

“I’ve got to go.” She started towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Scott exclaimed, standing to obstruct her.

“Down to the infirmary to check with Henry.” Given her condition, the Professor had forbid Jean from helping the other doctor in operating on Ororo. And even though that she knew that it had been the right decision, Jean couldn’t help but feel as if she had failed her best-friend. Not only was she not there to stop the shooting in the first place, but now... ‘I should have been there.’

“Oh.” Sensing her unease, Scott relented…but just about. “Okay. But then, you are to come right back here and rest for at…”

“Then I am going to see Wolverine.” And just like that, he was back up.

“NO! No Jean…” Scott shook his head. “You stay away from him.”

Had it just been that one instance at the base…heck, after what he saw what had been done to the soldiers inside, even then Scott would think twice before himself going near that man, let alone letting Jean do it. But now, after he almost woke up on the way back home, not only woke up but also moved to attack Jean and the others (before he lost consciousness again), there was no way in hell…

“What!!”
“I mean it Jean, you stay away from that Wolverine. He is danger…”
“You cannot stop me.” Within a blink of an eye, Jean was gone with Dr. Grey standing in her stead.
“Jean…”
“No Scott.”
“Jean please…”
“No.”
“Its an order.” Okay, time to bring on the leader.

“What!! Its….an…order?”
“Yes.”
“You cannot do this.”
“I can and I just did.”
“No you cannot.” Uh-oh. “Even barring that I am an adult, my medical privileges supersede your team authority. So Cyclops...back off.”

And just like that a second later she was gone, leaving Scott to bang his head against the door, ruing the day he agreed with Xavier to allow this clause.

---

About an hour later,

Massaging the bridge of her nose, a rather tired Jean walked through the doors of the X-Men’s holding cell-turned-emergency medical room. Even though her thoughts had settled down, the fatigue of the mission was finally starting to set it, even more so given that they (the senior X-Men) had been up the entire night. As for the juniors, they had retired soon after arriving at the mansion, except for Piotr who had been stationed on guard duty for Wolverine and Bobby who had been assisting. But they too had gone to bed now, as clear by the person sitting at the controls now.

She should have known…no, she knew that he would here. Especially at this time. He would be loathe if he let her do this alone.

He was anal…ahem, fastidious that way.

Maybe that’s why she loved him so much…loved her Slim ‘Fastidious’ Summers.


Sauntering up to stand beside him, a hand resting on his shoulder, she let herself relax for a few seconds at the warmth that radiated at the sheepish smile that he flashed at her.

“Ready.” It was both a question and a statement, one that said, ‘I am deferring to your authority and I am also sorry for being a jackass earlier.’

Softly running a hand through his hair, Jean bent down for a soft kiss. “Ready.”

--

A few minutes later,

“Is he going to be alright” Scott asked, more than a little tense at being so close to Wolverine, and moreover with Jean also being there. It had been a real haul but with John and Bobby pitching in they had managed to transport Wolverine back to the X-Jet. Once at the mansion, Piotr had Clangked-up and easily hefted the unconscious mutant and carried him here.

‘Doesn’t look all that heavy.’ Scott mused with yet another analyzing gaze, his eyes stilling at Wolverine’s hands.

“Yes,” Jean’s answer cut into his musing as she reached to his side for a couple of roll of bandages. She had been cleaning and taking care of Wolverine’s wounds, removing the old bloodied dressing to out on a new one.

At least that had been the plan.

“What the…” She gasped, the bandage rolling free from her palm.

“What? What.” Scott instantly reached for his visor which he donned in place of his glasses. Though he did not want a fight with the stranger, he was ready to for one. “What happened. And what are doing getting so close to him? I told you…”

“Scott,” this was just getting too much. If she followed Scott’s way, she would have to work with two foot long tongs…hmm, better make that twenty. “In case you have forgotten, I am a doctor and as a doctor I have to get close to a patient to treat him. Now, stop throwing a hissy fit and let me do my work.”

Hissy fit!! P-shaw. What was she saying? He was Scott Summers, leader of the X-Men and a teacher at The Xavier Institute for the Gifted…not to mention a grown man. He did NOT throw hissy fits. He got worried.

And rightly so, after all they knew next to nothing about this Wolverine fellow. Who knows what other powers he might have. Maybe he had super-speed or maybe he was from an island of Wolverines and was their representative to man’s…world.

‘Oh god. Please don’t let have her heard that.’ Scott pleaded internally. ‘I really need to stop supervising the younger kids’ TV hours…especially their cartoon shows. What’s next? Getting a green and yellow spandex costume for Jean. Hmm, now that is a thought worth thinking. Maybe one with a part cut-off in the front like that…what’s her name…P-P-P…yes. Power Gi…’


“Impressive.” Thankfully, Jean had better things to do than to catch her boyfriend going all kinky-geek on her and comparing her bust size to a fictional comic character. Leaning in closer to Wolverine, she lifted one latex covered finger to a previously bandaged part of his skin. “Wow.”
“Wow? What is wow?” Coming around to the other side, Scott leaned in for a better view.
“This,” the redhead pointed to one of Wolverine’s wounds…well, to what used to be a wound.
“Huh?! What.” All Scott could see was plain clean skin. It looked a bit on the pink side but other than that…nothing out of the ordinary.

“Wait, I’ll show you,’ reaching down to the bandage on his midsection, Jean gently peeled off, showing Scott (and seeing herself) what she already suspected.


Both of them watched attentively as a previously rather nasty looking gaping bullet wound healed right before their eyes. Fresh muscle fibers knitted up with layers of skin following soon after.

“Whoa.” Scott jerked back.

“Accelerated healing?” Jean mused still marveling at what she had just seen. “No, its not only that…,” she halted as she checked the other exposed parts.
“What?” Scott questioned, his mind working in overdrive trying to review the events from a few hours ago in light of this new discovery. ‘No wonder he survived being hit by a truck.”

“Its not just accelerated,” Jean corrected herself. “He is actually regenerating muscle and skin tissue. But for him to do that….he would…”

The far away look in her eyes lasted all but a few seconds before the doctor jumped into action, or rather her exclamation made Scott jump.

“Quick. Get me glucose.”

“Wha-What?” Why’d she need glucose Scott frowned. Hair-boy here was all but done healing most of his wounds. So why would…

“Scott!! NOW.” Not waiting for a response the redhead started for the door herself, on the other side of which a trolley (with various medical equipments) stood. Had they not been sure that left near him Wolverine would make use to the trolley and other equipment to stage an escape…well, suffice to say that it was Scott who had had the final word in that argument.

“What…oh,” he rushed after her.


A couple of more minutes and a drip of glucose got connected to Wolverine’s right arm, the sugar feed giving him the energy his body needed to put his healing into high (if not highest) gear.

---

The next morning,

“So this is the great Wolverine, huh?” Huddled at the observation window, the gathered group looked more like little snot-nosed…ahem, bundles of joy than X-Men in training.

“Uh-huh,” though asked to no one in particular Kitty nodded in response, her eyes not able to move away from his solitary exposed hand, the other one shrouded by white x-issue covers.

Those hands and the blades they had in them were the only thing that held her attention…until, “Hey!!” Jubilee high pitch screeched caused her to wince. “Who did that to him?”

“That?” More than one head turned in question. What had she seen that none of them had. The news that it had been Jubes and Kitty who had found Wolverine had spread like wildfire among the entire student body, and even though it wasn’t even nine both girls had recounted their story around a dozen times…individually.

“That!!” The way she pointed at Wolverine, it was clear that it was something serious…something very serious, maybe serious enough to call Scott or Jean or maybe even the Professor.

It was… “Who is the idiot who put clothes on him?” ....ACK!!

“Huh?!” As with the question, this reaction too was a collective one.

“Oh man,” Jubilee lamented. “This is cruel and unusual punishment. This is torture. This is just…”

Cough cough.

“Oh…Uh, Oh hey Professor. Good Morning.” She didn’t miss even a beat. “I was just telling the others about how it was back at the base, and how we rescued Wolverine from the torture they…and we even gave him clothes and all.”

The look that Xavier gave Jubilee was one akin to a parent who realizes their folly at blurting out a ‘bad-word’ in front of their kid…only now, with the kid tossing the word at anyone and everyone, and that too at the most inopportune time, they can’t do jack, except give that look. That and apologize to whosoever gets awarded with that word.

“Good morning Jubilation, everyone.” ‘Uh-oh.’ Jubilee gulped. ‘He used my full name.’ Even though it was her real name no one ever used it for her, well almost no one. There was one person in the whole mansion who nearly, almost always, without fail used it. But then again, Ororo…uh, Ms. Monroe was cool that way. Heck, she didn’t make the students follow the screwy system that Sco…Mr. Summers used, the one that had them call him as Ms. Summers while in class and Cyclops in the Danger Room. The only time they were to call him by his ‘real’ name was during off-hours.

“We-uh,” Kitty stepped in, “We just wanted to see if…if Mr. Wolverine has…”

“Its completely understandable,” Xavier put her out of her misery at trying to take care of Jubilee’s mess. “I myself am here for the exact reason.”

“Oh.” Now what were the children supposed to say when their headmaster himself was here for bird-watching…okay, wolverine-watching.


“Is he going to be alright?” Kitty questioned Xavier, taking note of the unconscious man on the other side of the partition.
“Yes, I do believe so,” the older man nodded. The truth was that he wasn’t here just to see Wolverine but also to try to test something that Jean had informed him about. According to her even though she had been able to gain entry into his mind and subdue him earlier, once at the mansion, she couldn’t get even a simple reading, not even after repeated tries.

She hadn’t told Scott about it fearing that he would take it as something wrong with her. And although she too had that doubt, until Xavier gave her the pass signal, what troubled the redhead even more was that she had harmed Wolverine in some way.

Oddly enough, even Xavier, with his decades of experience, wasn’t even so much as get a peek at what lay inside the man who classified file had sent a chill down even his spine.

--

“So…When will he wake up?” Bobby came up with a query of his own.

“Not for at least another few hours. He has suffered extensive internal injuries as also…suffice to say that it will some time before our guest awakens.” It was a clean PG15 version of what all Jean had told him. “Disappointed Robert?” He quickly changed the subject.

“Huh?”

“He doesn’t appear to be anything like you imagined.”

Had he not experienced it many a time before, Bobby would have been shocked as to how did the Professor come to know about his comments from the previous evening. But then again, he was a telepath, and not the most…one of the most powerful telepaths in the world.

“No way,” the teenager exclaimed. “Man…I mean Professor, you should see the way he moves, I mean moved. How he handled those soldiers? He got hit by a truck and just got up and walked away like it was nothing. And I look at him now, its as if nothing happened. And those claw things…Whaooza!

“As I….” Xavier started.

“And look at those muscles…those biceps.” It was clear that Bobby wasn’t finished. “He could give Pete here run for his money,” he gestured over his shoulder.

“Those aren’t the only muscles worth checking out,” Jubilee waggled her eyebrows at Kitty, her suggestive comment and expression causing the at-best-times shy Kitty to turn a bright tomato red.

“Ahem….yes.” Xavier nodded. It would be better if he got out from there, better for his mental well-being and peace of mind.

Rolling into the elevator he turned to see the teens once again engrossed in the ‘new guy’.

Was he also ever that age and moreover that horn...ahem, that youthful.

---

A few hours later,

She had been in the infirmary when it happened. With her best-friend waking up and on way to recovery, she was ready to kick off her shoes and relax at having a load lifted off her mind.

Things were all right aga…

**JEAN…HELP!!**


Note: Well, that too long to get out. Have had to really rethink my characters with the new setting (i.e. Universe) and personalities. Also, as I completely disregarding any events/depictions of the train-wreck that was X3, Jean isn’t the crazy-zombie queen…though have tried to maintain her dynamic with Scooter.

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.