“‘A hummingbird don’t sing does it mama” I used to ask my mother.

“They do sing, but you have to ask it first.” was how she’d always reply.

It was then though that I didn’t have too much vocabulary or very much to speak of at all. I was gullible, I believed everything I was told. When my mother told me I had to ask a hummingbird to sing I’d ask it and goddess did I look like a fool. Of course a hummingbird doesn’t sing, not from the heart anyway, just from the throat like it is with most of us. Only a robin sings and only properly at Christmas, like Mother Nature intended.

The Jean bird doesn’t sing, it used to, but not now. There is no such thing as a Jean bird now is there? But by god I heard one once and it was beautiful, and like all things good in life it died, trying to rid the phoenix, a bird of pure flame and a voice of hatred. I miss her, the merry Jean bird as I do her companion, the one person who kept her song going until he went too. Scotty bird, the name suits him just fine, a fine duet on both their parts. Scott hardly sung though, he just flew, like an angel or a dove. Fine wings and fine eyes did that majestic bird have.

Then we have the Rogue bird, one of a kind, no lesser and no equals, I can still hear her singing now, it’s very quiet, and only the patient can hear her. She’d sing when she’s happy or sad, either way she’d keep us happy, always willing to please others, unlike her counterpart, that poor old Remy bird, couldn’t sing to save his life or anyone else’s, no matter how hard he tried, he’s still singing or trying to sing, I should say.

The soul birds keep me going, the chicks of the family, even though their similar ages to Rogue. They will always be my babies, the Bobby bird, Kitty, Artie and Jubilee. You can shout at them but their light never goes at and it never will, how many times I have to tell Logan that…I wish he’d hurry back I need him more now than I ever did, we all do.

That Logan bird, my Logan bird; let my song be forever with, you wherever you are. His song is high, always joyful, always has been, especially for you little one, there is never a sore note that would be given to you, no matter his mood or his day, it will always bring you comfort, to all of us.

So you see little Kendal, a hummingbird may not sing splendid tunes, but we can” Ororo said placing a hand on her daughters head.

“What about you mommy, what’s your song like?” Kendal asked with soft features.

“I don’t know, I’ve never heard.”

“Not even once?” the six-year-old pressed on.

“Not even once, now go to sleep” Ororo planted a kiss on Kendal’s forehead as she lay down in bed, the little girl smiled and whispered goodnight as she watched her mother slide out of the room, her eyes closed as she heard the two melodies that made her feel more at home.


“I bet I cold describe it to you, your song that is?” A voice said behind Ororo as she closed Kendal’s door shut, she spun around and tears fell from her eyes.

“Logan!” She smiled.

“Hey darlin’” he said letting his duffel dag fall to the floor he opened his arms and waited as Ororo moulded into to him as he held her tight, and their songs danced as they hummed each others tune.


A hummingbird don’t sing unless you ask it too first…



End





You must login () to review.