Power and the Powerful

I went to the mountains for strength and they crushed me
I confided in the rock as my friend and it denied me.
I stood on top of the world and it humbled me
The greatest virtue that man learns from mountains is that he has not gone to the mountains to conquer them
Rather he has gone to the mountains to conquer himself
~Eric Trinka

X X
X X

X X
X X


“The Professor’s got reinforcements on the way,” red haired Jean Grey jumped from the large disabled plane that had landed in the middle of a wide open field in a small town in Texas.

“There gonna have ta get here soon if they wanna be here fer the show,” Logan or Wolverine felt the small sting of pan as his long admantium claws pulled from the confines of his skin.

“Any luck in there?” Jean called back to her boyfriend and the young technically minded Kitty Pryde who where both buried inside the plane trying to find out of the large hole in the roof would be a large or small hindrance. Logan’s stormy grey eyes surveyed the tree line spotting bits of metallic shine that told him the sentinels where on the way.

“I can fix it but I need someone to buy me time,” Kitty stuck her grease covered face out from the stairs, to her left Scott ‘Cyclops’ Summers pulled himself out. Logan’s ears perked up at the distant sound of two motorcycle engines.

“We got company,” Logan sniffed the air; he felt something was coming but couldn't put a meaty finger on what exactly it is. Just as Scott brought his hand to his visor the twin sleek black machines roared into the clearing. Both riders wore black leather, the one on the left was obviously a woman with leather pants hugging her soft mocha skin and pushing up all the right things in all the right places. Her shaded helmet and visor hid her face from the view of the occupants while her companion, a leather clad man pulled off his own helmet.

“De Professor say you be needin Gambit’s help non?” he questioned a thick New Orleans accent making his words a bit hard to understand.

“What ya got fer us?” Logan asked smiling, the man pulled up one of the saddle bags to reveal a long metal chain that he grabbed the end of in his gloved hand.

“What’s that gonna do?” Logan laughed lightly, the man smirked and revved his engine tossing the end of the chain to the other rider her gloved hand caught it easily and attached it to her bike. In perfect unison the pair roared off across the field pulling away from each other until the chain was tight between them, they managed to dodge the laser blasts on their ride toward the machines. The man lifted the chain and created something of a wave effect when they where less then ten feet away, the chain following the wave began glowing red, once the wave hit her bike the woman back flipped off it just in time to stop it’s explosion upon impact with the right leg of one of the sentinels. She landed crouched on her feet while the man circled the machines once more then let go as the chain exploded destroying the sentinels from the waist down, a few sizzling electric wires later and the machines moved nevermore. Remy stopped picking up the woman who leapt onto the back of his bike to join them back at the jet.

“Holy shit,” Bobby Drake jumped up pumping his gloved fist into the air the first to break the silence. Impressed with the riding Logan brought his fingers to his lips and his long whistle was the accompanying sound to the riders pulling up.

“Impressive,” Scott choked out, Remy stepped forward to speak to Scott while the woman remained by the bike looking it over closely with her helmet still on.

“Yer friend got a name?” Logan asked interrupting Remy mid sentence.

“Oui,” he turned back to Scott ignoring Logan’s growl, “De Professor has offered us a spot at your school. Remy will teach French and she will teach History.”

“You’ll have to excuse him,” the soft voice of the woman came from his elbow, when nobody was looking she had removed her helmet letting a long rush of white hair pulled into a French braid loose while a pair of sunglasses shielded her eyes from the sun.

“Some jump ya did,” he gestured to the destroyed robots.

“Thank you” she smiled lightly revealing perfect white teeth, “My name is Windrider.”

“Logan,” he reached out a hand, she paused for a moment but shook it gently, “Windrider yer given name?” she was saved from answering by Kitty’s whop as the engines on the jet started up.

“Huston where on our way,” she cheered, she tossed a welders mask to Scott while Jean used her power to levitate the patch she had set aside earlier but not put on incase any wiring had been disrupted. The pair set to work and when Logan turned back to Windrider she had come up next to Remy who was discussing the trick riding they had performed with Scott.

X X
X X
X
X X
X X

“Beautifully done, now I believe introductions are in order,” Charles smiled from his position after watching the video footage of the take down by Windrider and Remy.

“Jean Grey, telepath,” Jean began from Xavier’s left, Logan had been surprised when Xavier had gestured that the spot on his right be taken by the mysterious Windrider instead of its usual occupant Scott.

“Kitty Pryde, I can walk through walls,” the young girl nodded shifting uncomfortably under the surprisingly blue eyed stare directed at her by Windrider.

“Marie D’Amato but ah go by Rouge, ah can suck tha life outa other mutants, kinda borrowin’ their powers,” Logan’s close friend nodded pulling up her gloves.

“Bobby Drake, Iceman… I think that’s rather self explanatory,” Bobby smirked at Rouge who simply rolled her eyes.

“Remy LeBeau or Ace dis Cajun blows tings up,” Remy explained, with his heavy accent.

“Logan,” he flipped out his claws seeing this as explanation in itself.

“Warren Worthington the Third,” warren began but was quickly interrupted.

“As in Worthington Labs?” the woman questioned, Logan watched as Xavier put a restraining hand on her shoulder.

“Obviously my father and my views clash,” the blonde man’s jaw clenched slightly, the woman lifted a hand in surrender, with her gloves removed he saw that her hands where strong yet feminine. He looked down at his own, hairy knuckles, rough texture. Hers however where well manicured with soft curves that he always associated with women, he looked up and found that unnerving blank stare directed at him.

“Scott Summers, Cyclops and I conduct lasers through my eyes,” Scott’s words ended their contest as she turned to him.

“Ororo Munroe,” she said once Xavier had stared impatiently at her long enough, “Called Windrider I can control the weather.”

“I do believe however that new codenames should be given to the pair of you, therefore Remy you will be known as Gambit and Ororo will take the name Storm,” Xavier nodded after seemingly contemplating his own thought for a moment. “Now, as you all seem quite familiar with Remy’s power I believe a danger room session with Ororo is to be next on the agenda, let’s say tomorrow.”

X X
X X
X
X X
X X

Logan watched covertly as the white haired Ororo Munroe walked past him into the game room, the pair’s teaching positions and other information had been announced at dinner that night and Charles had suggested they visit with the students that afternoon. Ororo had exchanged her leather for a pair of blue sweatpants, bare feet, and a white tank top with her hair falling down around her waist.

“Ah Stormy,” Logan smirked at the wince Ororo gave at Remy’s greeting.

“I don't know why but it does surprise me that I have had that name for less then five hours and you have already managed to pervert it beyond recondition,” the cool voice of the new team member was laced slightly with amusement, Logan moved further into the room to allow him a view of everyone. Remy had one hip propped up against the pool table with a stick clutched in his hand while Peter stood across from him seemingly contemplating how the Cajun man was beating him.

“No hustling,” Ororo padded closer to her friend with one perfectly formed snowy eyebrow raised.

“No money was exchanged,” Peter informed her with a shrug, “Though that’s not really helping my chances.”

“Never does with Remy,” Ororo commented falling into a chair over the arm allowing her feet to kick over the side.

“Comfy,” Logan finally decided to make his presence known.

“Very,” she said her cool eyes watching him as her friend went back to his game, “Logan right?”

“Yep, and yer Ororo.”

“Someone has to be,” she answered spinning the chair to face him as he plopped onto the couch causing Kitty who was deeply absorbed in her book to bounce from the weight of the other man.

“Intirestin’ way ta put it, how do ya like tha mansion so far?” his nose was at full alert waiting for a lie.

“Too soon to tell,” was the reply that wasn’t quite a reply at all, at least in his book.

“Ya don't like givin up information do ya,” he sat back propping his booted feet on the coffee table.

“Force of habit, information only gets you in trouble,” she looked as though daring him to argue.

“No arguments here darlin,” Logan smirked; he liked this new girl she looked him directly in the eye and didn't shy away from his glare.

“Ororo, I was hoping I would find you here,” Jean shouted causing the white haired woman to wince lightly.

“Grey right, Jean Grey?” she asked standing, Logan wanted to ring the other woman’s neck, just as he was getting to know the new girl.

“That’s right, good to know I can make an impression,” Jean smiled pulling Ororo down with her onto the love seat.

“Yah,” Ororo agreed Logan worked as hard as he could to hold back a laugh, if it was any more obvious she was lying it would be written in neon green letters on her forehead.

“Well, Scott’s team leader as you already know and he was thinking after the danger room session we could all go out to a lunch, leave the junior members in charge around here. We can have a great chat how you and Remy met, how long you’ve been going out,” Jean looked at Ororo startled as did Logan when a very unladylike snort issued from her mouth.

“Remy and I have never and will never date,” she held a hand over her mouth to stop the giggles.

“Not dat funny padnat,” Remy had wandered over upon Ororo’s laugh just in time to hear her confession.

“Yes it is Remy, think about it for just a minute.” Logan expected a scowl to break over the Cajun’s face but found instead a small smile.

“Oui, dat would be funny,” he patted Ororo on the shoulder and moved off toward Peter who was desperate to sink three balls in that many shots.

“So lunch then” Jean said finally recovered.

“Logan, will you come?” Ororo looked to him missing Jean’s face falling at the question.

“Sure darlin,” he stood and stretched cracking his neck before leaning down beside Ororo’s ear, “Lookin forward too it.”





You must login () to review.