Power and the Powerful


But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose- which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me.
~Richard Feynman

XX
X
XX

Ororo was relaxed, a look at Remy conformed his calm exterior as well. She stepped through the rubble looking for the army of solders that had created this mess her cerulean blue eyes searched through the area making sure to watch the progression of her long silver cape lest it snag on one of the protruding pieces of metal.

“Mutant!” called the voice of a solder, Remy disappeared into the shadows and a few short blows later he returned, his glowing red eyes less then remorseful.

“Next one’s mine,” she smiled broadly, upon her companion’s nod she took the lead her leather boots crunching on pieces of glass and other random materials.

“Perhaps if Gambit could see better non?” her best friend questioned sarcastically.

“If we can’t see them Gambit they cant see us, we don't know how many there are,” she whispered softly, Remy rolled his eyes but nodded anyway knowing his friend was right. The crunch of glass from her left propelled her forward, she stepped into a clearing with Remy right behind her and her eyes widened. Before her where no less then two hundred solders all pointing loaded guns at her and Remy.

“Now you make it light?” Remy asked pulling a deck of cards from one of the many pockets in his uniform. Ororo lifted her head pulling the energy toward her, her white hair was buffeted in it’s ponytail by the strong winds that came up dispersing of the fog. She lifted her hands and felt the euphoria of flight as she lifted herself into the air. Her first order of business was to create an electric current all around her that would hopefully stop any bullets; her pure white eyes searched quickly finding Remy taking out about ten solders by charging his hands and fighting them. A smile curled at her lips as she looked up seeing the sky darken, she reached a hand and felt the lightning enter it dancing around her fingertips, with a well practiced flick of the wrist it descended upon the solders. She spotted a nearby pond and her smile grew if possible wider, she directed her power toward the water raising it as a whirlpool.

“Gambit retreat!” she shouted he looked up seeing the water suspended above her and disappeared back the way they had come rather swiftly, she allowed the water to rain down on them but not before charging it with more electricity then anyone other then her could handle and stay alive. Right before the water would have landed on the solders the entire scene dissolved into a large round chamber. With a small pout Ororo landed softly on her feet meeting Remy in the center of the room, “Hey, nicely done,” she slapped his hand and he grinned.

“Ya, you too,” he smirked walking toward the door with her, the hydraulic system announcing their arrival into the room with the whirring of the engines.

“Right” Scott stared at Ororo who simply raised an eyebrow at him with a light smirk, “We can definitely make that work.”

“Good, now someone said somethin about lunch,” Logan stepped forward so he and Remy where flanking Ororo.

“Time for a shower?” Ororo questioned raising her gloved hand.

“That an offer darlin?” Logan questioned leering at her, despite the high collar of the uniform it hid very little from his wandering view. Skintight leather really did wonders for a person’s body and he was learning quickly in his time with the X-Men to appreciate that fact.

XX
X
XX

“So where are we going?” Ororo questioned from her seat in the back squished between the small but muscular form of Remy and the unmovable wall that was the Wolverine.

“Small place just a couple miles from the institute, it’s called Jakes, Wolverine suggested it,” Scott spoke tensely but the undercurrent of tension in his voice at the mention of Logan caused Ororo to look up attempting to meet his eyes, he stared back down at her expressionless. The car quickly came to a stop and Ororo found she had been staring at Logan for the duration of the drive, with a light blush coloring her cheeks she leapt from the car following Remy his strong arms the only thing that stopped her from face planting on the pavement.

“Watch dat step Stormy,” he said holding onto her arm until she was steady.

“Don't call me Stormy,” she commented absently following Jean’s vivid red hair into the small roadside diner. The group took a booth by the window Scott and Jean sharing one side while Ororo got squished in with Logan and Remy took a chair before leaving for the restroom, after a few moments of uncomfortable shifting Logan finally lifted his arm to rest above her shoulder on the booth top.

“What can I get for you?” a spunky young woman with her hair cut short walked up too the booth with a pad and pen at the ready.

“Coffee, extra cream,” Jean spoke harshly and Scott mirrored her actions.

“Can I have a beer,” Logan grunted staring down at the menu.

“What kind?” the waitress inquired retiring from glaring daggers at Scott and Jean.

“Whatever ya got,” he grunted again not meeting the woman’s eyes.

“Could I have a coke with no ice and Remy will have a beer, thank you very much,” she smiled at the woman who nodded back once before retreating to the small bar that ran across half of the diner.

“So basically,” Scott began once Remy came back, Jean watched him closely waiting for him to ask what was ordered for him “Your jobs will be easy. Stick with the team and do as you’re told. Curfew is at ten you’ll be expected to check on the kids one night a week make sure there all in bed.”

“Hang on ya lost me at curfew,” Ororo leaned forward nodding to the waitress who deposited their glasses, “Thanks,” with an eyebrow cocked a position Logan realized would become his favorite quickly she returned her gaze to Scott.

“It be a time wen you come in at night chere,” Remy smirked, upon receiving her glare he simply raised his beer glass in toast.

“Curfew is for the safety of everyone involved,” Scott turned his red stare to Ororo who leaned back with a small smile playing at the corner of her lips.

“Well that wont be a problem I’m fully capable of taking care of myself,” she smirked lightly at Scott’s exaggerated look of anger before nodding to the waitress who had stayed to hear Ororo’s response to the curfew issue.

“Food?” she asked nodding to Ororo.

“Salad, ranch dressing on the side,” Jean barked out Ororo rolled her eyes at the waitress who held back a laugh.

“I’ll have the vegetarian burger,” Scott handed the woman his menu.

“Remy will have a steak chere, medium well merci,” Remy smiled flirtatiously at the woman.

“Same as the Cajun but make mine rare darlin,” Logan grinned at the woman as well, at that point Ororo could tell she was getting quite flustered.

“Can I have the double bacon burger medium rare with a side of sausage and fries please?” Ororo smiled at the woman who nodded taking the menu’s back.

“Be about ten minutes our cooks are quick,” Logan nodded to her and she walked off to place their order and deal with a couple of rowdy teenage boys sitting at the third booth down.

“The curfew is not negotiable,” Scott spoke again, “The students need to have positive role models,” Scott looked around surprised to be cut off when Ororo let out a full bellied laugh that stilled the entire diner. Remy laughed loudly along with her drawing a very feminine sigh from somewhere behind them.

“What the fuck is so funny darlin,” Logan questioned looking down.

“You guys are gonna love this,” she choked out before collapsing into a fit of giggles once again.

“Love what,” Jean’s voice was unemotional.

“Remy and I, are car thieves… we’ve lived in New Orleans stealing information for Xavier until he called us up,” Ororo burst out laughing again while Jean and Scott just looked shocked. Twenty minutes later Scott still had yet to come up with an intelligent response while Logan questioned both Remy and Ororo about their involvement in thievery. It turned out that most of the information for roughly eighty percent of the missions the X-Men went on was based off Intel the pair collected together.

“Order’s up,” the waitress arrived dropping Scott and Jean’s food down angrily while being much gentler with the other three plates. Logan sniffed the air once and while Remy was chatting up the waitress he dropped his arm to Ororo’s shoulder and pulled her flush against him.

“She put hot sauce in there’s,” he gestured covertly to Scott and Jean; she looked up just as Scott took a big bite into his burger. If he had jumped for Remy’s beer any faster she would have sworn he was channeling Quicksilver, the waitress had scurried off quickly Ororo kept a straight face but when she met Logan’s eyes again he could see the mirth dancing in them. Ororo assumed after the display was over Logan would have allowed her to return to her side but was surprised when he kept his arm around her eating one handed while sneaking one of her French fries every few minutes, at first she was unsure of what to do but a quick look up at him joking with Remy relaxed her and she quickly dug in.

XX
X
XX

Ororo sidled up next to Remy who had a cigarette hanging from his hand; he was sitting on the steps to the porch just looking out at the sunset. “Dis Cajun is worried,” he said finally, Ororo could tell from his silence that he had something on his mind since they left the restaurant and this point with Remy out for his late night cigarette it was her only chance to speak to him where they where guaranteed privacy.

“You’re always worried about me Remy, what's different this time?” Ororo questioned pulling her knees to her chest to ward off the cold of the New England night.

“De Wolverine worries him,” Remy admitted after a moment, his devil red eyes the reason for his abandonment as an infant remained focused on the setting sun.

“How so,” after a few moments of silence Ororo began to get irritated, “I can’t help Remy if you don't tell me what's wrong.”

“Remy thinks de Wolverine wishes to see his Stormy.”

“We see each other every day Remy, Wolverine is…” she paused looking for a word to make her brother feel more secure, “He’s a teammate.”

“Non, he is an Assassin,” Remy lifted a file from his trademark trench coat and handed it to Ororo. She threw it onto the ground at his feet standing.

“Some stupid guild rivalry is the reason behind this, Damnit Remy,” she paced back and forth in front of him her long white pants quickly getting wet from the earlier rain.

“Dese rules we live by Stormy, Papa Jean follows dem and you too,” Remy stared at her his face expressionless.

“Those rules are old and outdated, talk to Papa Jean he’ll tell you the same. Remy,” she knelt in front of him placing her hands on his knees, “We have a chance here, a chance to make a new life, there are people here who genuinely want to help us and you know as well as I do that that’s a really rare thing.”

“Remy will try,” he stood when she removed her hands and brushed off his coat moving to the door, “He will not promise noting, but he will try.”

“That is all I can ask brother,” Ororo called out to him, he paused for a moment before closing the door behind him, Ororo sighed and called upon her winds to lift her into the air landing gracefully on her balcony. Neither of the pair noticed the burning cigar and the man who sat behind it who had heard their entire conversation.





You must login () to review.