Even when Emma heard the slam of the phone, she still was left holding the receiver to her ear. The news hadn’t yet hit home for her. It was only when the loud buzzer came on to indicate the end of a call, did she finally place the phone down. Even as one of the world’s most adept psychics, she had a hard time understanding this.

What had happened?

The Academy had its field agents just as Xavier’s did. When one had a mission the other always went on call. Backup was never far behind. If Ororo went down in a field mission…Emma rubbed her temple. Why wasn’t she called? Sure she didn’t get along with anyone, and ok, yes she was an arch-rival of the X-men for quite some time, but that was then. Xavier gave her a second chance, and her own school. There wasn’t anything she wouldn’t do for his cause. They all knew that she was there for them. Emma slammed her fist down on her desk cracking the thick mahogany with her diamond shell.

There was only one excuse. Ororo hadn’t died on a mission.

Emma closed her eyes and took in a long deep breath. She used her mind to reply the conversation she just had with Kitty very slowly. Colorful psychic waves wrapped themselves around Kitty’s words and told Emma more than her abrupt manner had.

Violent sharp purple spikes, shock.

Rolling green waves, grief and sadness.

Short staccato yellow burst and red crested waves, fear and anger.

Emma noticed the anger most of all. She first assumed that it was directed at her, but then the movement of the waves changed. They doubled up and reversed themselves…inward. Why was Kitty angry at herself?

Finally the red and green waves started to dance around each other and flow to the right and swirl around. The cuddly Kitten was conflicted, confused and very close to a deep maddening depression.

This hurt. Everyone was feeling this pain. It was cancerous too. Constantly spreading and weakening vital parts.

Emma walked as slow as she could towards Aya’s room. This wasn’t how the little girl was supposed to spend this fine bright summer day. Children don’t go to summer camp, even a psychic one, to come home early to the death of their only known parent.

But this particular child was different, even by mutant standards.

As Emma raised her hand on the door to knock she heard faint scuttling and a small voice welcoming her in.

Inside was what used to be a pink lovers paradise, but the little one inside had taken down posters, books, and other paraphernalia and began to organize and pack them in boxes and child size luggage.

“Hello, Ms. Frost.”

Emma was taken back a bit as she usually was with Aya. Precocious would be a gross understatement when it came to this little girl. Her unique mutation compounded the wisdom that made this child so special and often intimidating.

Aya stopped what she was doing and came to look up at Emma head one with her head silently asking a question.

“Aya, what on earth are you doing?”

“Packing.”

Emma couldn’t help the small smile that escaped her. The response was innocent enough despite its smart-allacky tone. She sat on the immaculate bed and beckoned the girl to sit next to her. “Why are you packing, honey?”

“You know why. Mama’s dead.”

Emma tucked a white strand of hair behind her ear, “how long did you know?”

Aya just raised a brow at her. Even though she had yet to enter first grade, she knew redundancy when she heard it.

Her ability made it painful sometimes. Emma couldn’t believe her luck when Ororo had brought her to the Academy. Kendall-Aya was a psychic. Oh, but not the normal run of the mill mind reading, thought controlling, telekinetic. No not quiet.

Aya had the ability of precognition and empathy. Her precognition was spectacular. Not even Destiny could “see” like Aya could.

Aya could see time, itself, very much like psychic patterns. To her time looked like patterns of dissected white light. Red, oranges, blues, greens all the colors represented choices, decisions, what if’s, alternate realities, past, futures all clearly seen by a five year old girl. Combined with her empathy, Kendall-Aya was reading time and people like Encyclopedia Britannica for children. Eventually with enough training, Emma knew that Ororo’s daughter could, one day, control or become active in other timelines instead of being an observer. The girl’s potential was boundless

Emma was going to miss her partner in crime. She and the girl had managed to not hate each other, even eventually becoming odd friends in their short time training together.

“Ay, how long have you known your mother was going to die?”

“For a while.”

Emma gave her a stern look.

“Ms. Frost, I couldn’t tell anyone. No one could have stopped her. It was just one of those things…that was going to happen. I can’t describe it any other way. At least I don’t think I can.” She scrunched up her tiny face as if in deep thought about a situation that should be totally out of her small hands.

“Aya, please understand I’m so sorry.”

“It’s ok. I’m not. I knew she was. That’s why I called her last night and told her the funniest story I knew just to hear her laugh.” Even then the unshakable girl started to waver.

“Oh sweetie, you knew it would be the last time you’d hear that.”

“I should go.”

“Alright, I’ll take you myself. Lets get your things in the Lexus.”

As they walked, hand in hand, down to the garage, the silence became deafening.

“Go ahead, and ask,” Aya encouraged.

“Do you know where your…”

“Yes, I know where he is. Yes, I know what he’s doing. No, he doesn’t know, and no I don’t care if he come’s back or not.”

“Will he?”

Aya just looked at Emma with a blank expression.

“So I take it that no one else knew.”

“Nah, Mama didn’t even know. I don’t think she would have if she did.”

Emma picked Aya up and hugged her. She knew that the girl could sense her genuine sorrow. There once was a time when she did this with her own sister, a very long time ago.

“Ay, you would have been a great big sister.”

“I know.”





You must login () to review.