Title: Homecoming

Author: Kravitzkid

Rating: PG; some naughty language

Disclaimer: I still don’t own any of these characters, so don’t call your lawyers yet, folks.

A/N: This is the first in a series of stories about Kendall. I have blended elements from the comics, cartoons, and the movie to make this work.

:::::talking in the mind:::::


Kendall Logan sat in her mother’s history class. Her mother and father, Ororo and Logan, went to pick up a new recruit in the city today, so she had to cover her mother’s classes. Ever though Kendall was only nineteen and didn’t have any formal teachers’ training, her mother trusted her with the responsibility. She’d only taken the class one year earlier, herself.

She had just finished her first year at NYU and was coming home for the summer. Her mother had somehow talked her into covering her classes today, and now here she was. Stuck in her mom’s classroom, instead of roaming the grounds, as she should be.

Class hadn’t started yet and Kendall was sitting in sill of one of the huge windows trying to focus on the notes her mother had left for her, but was failing miserably. Her attentions were constantly being drawn back to the beautiful spring afternoon just beyond the glass. It was a few days before the end of the spring semester, and the days were getting longer and warmer. The air was alive with the smells of trees and flowers in bloom.

Kendall was a mutant, just like her mother and father. She had the ability to control the weather and an enhanced healing factor that rivaled her father’s. Days like these tend to make creatures of nature antsy.

Kendall pulled her ponytail down and let her silver, shoulder length hair hang. She stood up and opened a window, letting in a warm summer-like breeze that felt like a warm caress against her face. She took off her blazer, exposing a black spaghetti strap t-shirt. Her honey-colored shoulders shone in the bright sunlight. She adjusted her flared jeans and leaned out of the window.

A bell rang from inside the building and Kendall hung her head and sighed. She hated being indoors on days like these, plus being stuck inside this room all day wasn’t helping either. She liked seeing her old friends again, but making them pay attention to the lectures was an entirely different story. The excitement of the students, awaiting the beginning of summer vacation was beginning to grate on her nerves, and she had a notoriously short temper.

:::::Goddess, I need to get the hell out of here. Maybe I could get a quick flight in before the kids arrive. Yeah, I’ll buzz over the mansion and get back here, real quick like. No-one will even miss me.:::::

Kendall slipped off her shoes and perched herself on the windowsill. She was just about to summon a wind to carry herself away when a voice called out from behind her.

“I know that teaching is frustrating at times, but I hardly think it’s bad enough to hurl myself out of a two-story high window.”

“Damn it.” Kendall muttered as she climbed down from the windowsill. “Hey, Uncle Scooter.” She flashed him the best smile she could muster.

Scott Summers strode into the room. He had always been her second favorite uncle, right behind her uncle Remy. Kendall gave him a bear hug and he kissed her forehead. “I heard you were back, but I’ve been really busy today.”

“That’s alright. I just got back last night. I haven’t even unpacked yet.” Kendall sat behind her mother’s desk and Scott sat on top of it.

“I hope the kids aren’t giving you too much hell today.” He picked up one of the textbooks and flipped through it idly.

“No, not really. But I had to threaten to electrocute that Drake kid last period.” Kendall grumbled.

Scott laughed. “Yeah, someone should have warned you about him. I wouldn’t worry about that. The next class is less rowdy.”

“I hope so.” Kendall replied. She leaned back, folding her arms over her chest and crossing her legs at the ankle.

Scott looked at her and smiled. “You look just like your father when you pout.”

A few students came in and wandered to their seats. Scott stood up. “Well, I’ll leave you alone now, but do me a favor.”

Kendall eyed him, awaiting a statement.

“Just don’t fry anybody. Charred remains don’t have a very pleasant aroma.”

Kendall smiled and waved behind him. “Later, Scooter.”

Her gaze fell on the kids that had gotten to class so early. “History nerds, I presume.” She thought to herself.

A few minutes later, the rest of the room filled up and the final bell rang. Kendall quickly took roll and was about to begin her lecture when she took a good look at the class in front of her. They were squirming around, half-heartedly paying attention to her. It looked as if she wasn’t the only one suffering from cabin fever today.

:::::If I even attempted teaching them anything, it wouldn’t stick. I know that for a fact. Hell, a few of them might even fall asleep.::::: Kendall thought to herself. She would have just canceled class altogether, but the class had a final exam coming up and everything had to be covered.

“Hey guys.” She began. “Does your regular teacher ever teach outdoors on nice days.”

A few students shook their heads.

“Well then, it’s time for a change. I want all of you to meet me outside the greenhouse in five minutes.”

A hand went up. “Umm. Ms. Logan, how are we supposed to get way out to the greenhouse in five minutes.”

Kendall put both hands on her hips. “Ya’ll are mutants aren’t you. I know at least six of you can fly. Right” A few more heads shook. “Well, I think the rest of you kids can figure something out.” She waited for the class to slowly clear out, collected her notes, and took off out of the classroom window.


************************************************************

About forty-five minutes later, Kendall dismissed the class and they went their separate ways. She was sitting underneath one of the huge oak trees next to her mother’s greenhouse. Feeling a bit drowsy from all that history, Kendall crafted herself a makeshift pillow from books and her blazer. She laid down, crossed her legs at the ankles and folded her arms across her chest. She had just begun to drift off when yet another familiar voice roused her.

“Evenin’ chere.” Remy LeBeau’s southern drawl drifted into Kendall’s ears and she smiled instantly. He was he favorite uncle and her first love. She’d fallen for him when she was nine years old and she still had a soft spot for him in her heart. “Mind if I join you?”

“Nope. Won’t bother me at all.” Kendall slid over a little and made room in the shade for her uncle.

“So, you found your way back to your old tree, non?”

Kendall grinned slightly. “So I did.” His statement didn’t really sink in for a few moments, then it hit her. This was her tree. She had memories of climbing to new heights before her powers developed, of lounging on a branch watching her mother working inside the greenhouse. Hell, she even remembered the time she fell out of the tree and broke her arm.

“This really is my tree, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, chere. Ever since you were a little bitty ‘ting.” Remy poked her in the side. “Do you ‘member when your folks started teaching you how to fly? You daddy was standin’ right about ‘dere while you climbed ‘dis tree and scooted out to ‘de end of a branch. Stormy was trying to explain how it worked an’ you were just hangin’ on for dear life. It was just about ‘de funniest ‘ting I ever saw.”

Kendall laughed. “I remember. Then I jumped out of the tree and Dad caught me every time.” She smiled at the memory. “Hey, how in the hell do you know, you weren’t there.”

Remy grinned at her. “Remy was always around, chere. You were too young to notice, I guess.”

Kendall felt her cheeks starting to get warmer and desperately wanted to change the subject. “So, what’s been goin’ on around here since December.”

Remy laid down and mimicked his niece. “Nothing much really. Hank proposed to Cecilia in March and everyone round here’s been helpin’ with ‘de arrangements.”

“That’s nice.” Kendall replied sleepily.

Remy tried to question her a little more. “How do you like teaching?”

Kendall yawned. “I could honestly live without it.”

Remy glanced over at his niece. “Does old Remy bore you, chere?”

Kendall was practically talking in her sleep. “I just find your voice incredibly soothing.”

Remy kissed her forehead. “I’ll wake you before dinner, chere.” He got up and walked toward the house.

************************************************************



Kendall’s images of sunset over the Canadian Rockies were shaken from her mind as someone was rocking her gently. Then she heard her father’s voice.

“Come on, wake up kid.” Logan’s rough voice brought her back to reality. “Your mother’s gonna have a fit if you miss dinner.”

Kendall sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. “When did you get back?” She asked groggily.

Logan helped his daughter up and she dusted herself off. “About an hour ago. She was looking for you and the Cajun just told us where you were.” He picked up her things and carried them as they began to walk back toward the mansion.

Logan and Kendall had a strong relationship. He was her protector and personal super-hero. She looked up to him in every way. Logan had personally taught Kendall every self-defense move and Martial Art he knew ever since she was three. Kendall was closer to him than her mother and everyone knew it. They hardly had the time to get together since she went away to college, but it didn’t seem to affect them very much.

They walked up to the mansion in relative silence. Words weren’t necessary. Logan wasn’t much of a talker and Kendall never tried to force conversation.

Upon reaching the back door, Kendall opened the door and her nose was assaulted by the smell of roasted chicken.

“Kenny, I’ll put these upstairs for ya. You go grab some grub before there ain’t any more left.” Logan started up the back staircase but Kendall stopped him.

“Thanks, daddy.” Kendall kissed her father’s cheek and watched him climb the stairs.

“Kendall, how were your classes today.” Ororo’s voice surprised her as she make her way into the dining room.

“Just fine.” Kendall hugged her mother and sat down next to her at the table. “So what’s this new guy like?”

Ororo drank some water and cleared her throat. “You’ll find out soon enough, child.”

Kendall snorted quietly. “Mother, could you please stop calling me that. I’m not a child anymore.”

Ororo looked at Kendall with at smile. “You’ll always be my child.”

To some extent, Kendall was aggravated with her mother’s response, but it made sense. She was the baby of the house, always had been. None of the other couples around the mansion ever had any children. That’s why she loved her solitude so much. A person can get used to entertaining themselves if they have to do it for almost twenty years.

Kendall got up and retrieved some food from the kitchen. As she came back to the table, she noticed that, for the first time in a long time, her whole family was there. Her mother was talking to her father, whom had just come back downstairs. Her Aunt Rogue was semi-arguing with Remy, with her Aunt Jean playing referee. Uncle Scooter was talking to Charles at the head of the table. Uncle Hank and Cecilia were at the other end of the table with Aunt Betsy and Uncle Warren.

“I would like to propose a toast.” Charles Xavier’s strong voice rose above the din. Everyone quieted down and awaited the rest of Charles’ speech.

“In honor of my Granddaughter’s return..” He turned to her. “May I be the first to officially welcome home, Ms. Kendall Logan.”

Various shouts of “welcome home” and “congratulations” went up and Kendall blushed slightly. “Thanks, Everybody.”

:::::Yeah, I’m finally home.:::::





You must login () to review.