Chapter 7

Lucas Bishop found his way into the Rec. Room with Kendall following close behind. She allowed a slight grin reach her lips as she watched Lucas’s dreads swing gently behind him. Upon reaching his destination, Lucas dropped his bags and collapsed onto one of the couches. Kendall entered the room and sat in one of the adjacent chairs, folding her legs beneath her. Lucas stretched out and folded his arms behind his head. He glanced over at the paused scene on the T.V., a small white rabbit decapitating several medieval knights.

“Some things never change, eh?” Lucas asked.

“Guess not.” Kendall replied quietly.

Lucas laughed shortly and yawned. When he recovered, he turned his head enough to look at Kendall, who was curled up in her chair, giving him a strange look.

“What? Do I have something caught in my hair again?” He joked.

Kendall smiled. “No, nothing’s in your hair. I just haven’t seen you in year and I was just wondering where the rest of you came from.”

“Rest of me? Oh…you mean these?” He said, flexing his arms. “They were here before, but farm work tends to keep you in shape.”

Kendall lifted an eyebrow. “Farm work? Mr. I’m-a-thug-for-life doing farm work?” She laughed shortly. “Explain this one to me.”

“Well.” Lucas began. “After I left, I went back to my sister’s place in New York for a few weeks. You know, checking up on everything. Then, we get a call from our Aunt Jocelyn in Nebraska and she had just married this rancher guy. I thought about it for a bit and decided to give the country life a try.”

Kendall tried to stifle a giggle, but wasn’t doing a good job of it. Lucas paused.

“Why is that so damn funny? I knew how much you and your folks love being outside and in touch with nature and all that shit, so I thought it was worth a shot.”

“Yeah, but I still don’t see you as that type of guy.” Kendall responded.

Lucas grunted. “I wasn’t at first. It took some getting used to, but after I got shown up by an old man…I decided to get my ass of my shoulders, so to speak.”

Kendall erupted into fits of laughter. Lucas sat up and tried to justify himself.

“It wasn’t totally my fault. I was trying to saddle a horse and the damn thing got away from me. Spent most of the afternoon chasing it around the property.”

Kendall laughed harder, but he ignored her. “That evening, Forge comes outside, does some kind of whistle, and I’ll be damned if the horse didn’t run right up to him. He just laughs and tells me to get inside to dinner before the other guys eat it all.” He sighed. “Yeah, it’s funny now, but Forge really pissed me off sometimes.”

Kendall regained some of her composure and wiped her eyes. “Forge? Who’s that? Another farmhand?”

Lucas shook his head. “No. Forge is my aunt’s husband that owned the ranch, you know. Overall, he’s a cool guy, Old Cheyenne Indian. He had a freaky metal arm and a leg too.”

Kendall looked suspiciously at Lucas. “Metal arm and leg?” She repeated.

Lucas nodded. “Hell yeah. Said he lost them in some fight he got into a long time ago. Made the metal ones himself.”

“Oh, Yeah.” Kendall said.

“I shit you not, my friend. Forge is a mutant too, could make all kinds of things out of crap we found out in the fields. Fences, fence posts, barns, anything you could think of. It’s was amazing.” Lucas replied.

“Is Forge his actual name or a nickname?” Kendall asked.

“I don’t know.” Lucas replied. “We always just called him Forge.”

Kendall sat back and relaxed a bit then another question came into her mind. “Is your aunt a mutant too?”

Lucas shook his head. “Nope. She said that when Forge told her he was a mutant, she almost called off the wedding.”

“Really?” Kendall replied.

“Yeah, but love won out over her fear and all that, so she went through with it. Now they’re moronically happy together, so good for them.” Lucas said, waving his hand in the air.

Kendall thought of her own parents. “Trust me, I’ve seen moronically happy before.” She found the remote and switched off the movie and television. Kendall stood up placed her hands on her hips.

“Well, all this catching up is lovely but I’m severely hungry. Shall we continue our discussion in the kitchen?” She asked.

“That’s fine, I’m a little hungry myself.” Lucas retorted, standing up. Kendall left the Rec. Room and proceeded toward the kitchen. Lucas stayed behind and admired the sway of Kendall’s hips just in front of him. Suddenly feeling brave, he caught up with her and tickled her back. Kendall squealed and grabbed his hands, leading him into the kitchen.

“Watch that, now.” She warned. “I don’t care how much bigger you’ve gotten, I can still kick your ass.”

“I hear lightening bolts can be quite painful.” Lucas teased as Kendall released his hands to open the refrigerator.

Kendall stuck her head into the fridge. “I can’t hear you, I’m hunting.”

Lucas laughed as he sat on one of the countertops and admired Kendall’s backside. There had always been a good amount of sexual tension between Himself and Kendall. Lots of flirty gestures and sexual innuendo and created many a rumor during high school. Even though, he wasn’t against the thought of getting a bit more physical with Kendall, her father was an entirely different obstacle.
The first time he smelled anything he didn’t like on his little girl, Wolverine was capable of going ballistic. Lucas let that, and the fear of ruining a perfectly good friendship, prevent him from pursuing a relationship with Kendall.

“Lucas! I’m talking to you.” Kendall shouted.

“Hmm? What?” He replied, startled out of his thoughts.

“I said do you want something?” She asked again.

“Yeah, but I’ll get it.” Lucas replied.

“Suit yourself, but don’t say I never offered.” Kendall said. She moved away from the fridge carrying a bowl full of red and green grapes. Lucas took her place and nosed around while Kendall rinsed her grapes in the sink. Finishing her task, Kendall hopped onto Lucas’ place on the counter, crossed her legs and put her bowl her lap. Lucas, finding nothing suitable, closed the refrigerator and walked over to Kendall. He stole a handful of her grapes and leaned against the counter beside her.

“So, How was college?” Lucas asked, popping two grapes into his mouth.

Kendall thought for a moment. “Just like here, but with more drinking and less supervision.”

Lucas chuckled. “So you didn’t learn anything?”

“I learned how to get rid of drunk, touchy-feely, fraternity assholes without using my powers.” Kendall remarked without smiling.

Lucas stole some more grapes. “Is that so?”

Kendall nodded. “Let’s just say that a few guys woke up with several more cuts and bruises than they started off with.” She ate a few grapes and started to concentrate on remaining relaxed and composed. Those were a few of the more unpleasant memories that she didn’t want to focus on at the moment.

Lucas looked at Kendall. She had her head down and was breathing deeper than usual. He knew she was hiding something, but if Kendall didn’t want to talk about it, then he wasn’t going to push her about it.

“So.” He began, hoping to change the subject. “Is Jubilee around?”

Kendall inhaled sharply and lifted her head. “No, I’m picking her up from JFK in a few hours. You coming with?”

“Sure. I want to get unpacked though.” Lucas stated.

“Go ahead. You’re room is empty and waiting for you. I trust you remember where it is.” Kendall replied with a smile and a mouthful of grapes.

“Right.” Lucas started towards the door but turned back to Kendall. Her head was down again and she was chewing on her bottom lip.

“Kenny, you sure your okay?” Lucas asked.

Kendall swallowed and flashed him a smile. “Yes, I’m fine, now go get some rest.” Lucas nodded, then went to retrieve his bags from the Rec. Room.

Kendall sighed and got off the counter. “Why did he have to mention school?” She thought to herself. “Hell, Why did I even get into it?” She walked over to one of the kitchen windows and noticed the large, puffy clouds that had suddenly formed in the skies. Kendall tried to reorder her nerves and keep her mind off of memories that had been haunting her for several months now. She popped some more grapes into her mouth and watched contentedly as the clouds started moving along with a light gust of wind.

“That’s a little better.” Kendall thought. She walked across the room and replaced the remaining grapes in the refrigerator.

“I think a run will clear my head a little.” Kendall said aloud to no-one in particular. She made her way back to her bedroom and dug our her running shoes. On her way back downstairs, she ran into Lucas again.

“I thought I told you to rest.” Kendall said.

Lucas shrugged. “I didn’t feel like it. You going for a run?”

Kendall nodded while tying her shoe.

“I’m coming with you.” Lucas said. “Just let me change clothes.”

“Fine. I’ll meet you downstairs.” Kendall replied as she jogged down the hall toward the staircase.





You must login () to review.