You Just Might Make Me Believe
Chapter 14: Demons Chasing Me

Ororo’s sleep was filled with flashes of things. She saw herself as a child no more than five years old. She was sitting in an alley way in what she knew was Africa. She could hear herself crying and knew it was out of hunger. She could see a large man standing in front of her. She couldn’t make out his face but she saw him out stretch his hand and say “Come with me child and I’ll take care of you.”

******
That flash ended and then another began. She saw herself about six years old. She was still in Africa but this time she was hiding behind a wall, watching the people in the market place. She saw a middle aged white man walking slowly. She watched him stop at a produce cart and buy an apple. She knew he had to be a tourist when he pulled out a twenty to pay for it. She watched as he put his wallet back in his pocket and knew this would be an easy mark. She followed close behind him. Ororo saw little Ororo flick her wrist. When she did a whole pile of fruit fell right as the man walked by. The man bent over to help the merchant pick up the fruit. He kept on saying “I’m terribly sorry. I must have knocked it over when I walked by.”

Ororo watched as little Ororo reached into the man’s back pocket and took his wallet without him even noticing. She also picked up a piece of fruit and walked away without even being seen. She followed little Ororo down an alley. She watched as the child ate the fruit. When she finished, she got up and started walking some more. Ororo watched the child walk and then suddenly stop. Ororo closed her eyes and when she opened them she no longer was watching the child, she was little Ororo. She could see, hear, and feel everything that was happening.

She had no idea what made her stop. Not noticing anything, she started back walking. Then she heard a voice speaking to her loud and clear. “I told you to stop young lady.” She turned around and looked. Standing behind her was the man she had just stolen the wallet from. “You know it is wrong to take something that does not belong to you.” She just looked up at him with fear in her eyes. She knew if he took her to the authorities, they would cut off her hand for stealing. He just looked down at her and smiled. “Do not worry. I’m not going to harm you or take you to the police.” She could hear him talking but not a word came out. She wanted to run away but she couldn’t. It was almost like she was frozen where she stood. “Why did you take my money?”

She finally worked up the courage to speak. “I was hungry. I do not have any money to buy food.”

He held out his hand and something made her hand him his wallet back. “If you would have asked me, I would have given you anything you wanted.” He opened it up and pulled out some money. “Here child. This should be enough to get you some more food and some left over.” He handed her several bills. She felt whatever it was that was holding her let go and she ran.

********
Her dream changed again. This time she was in a small room of a building. She heard a thunderous voice call her name. She went into the room and saw a very large man sitting on what looked like a throne. “Where is what you collected?” She walked up to him and handed him some money. He counted it and looked at her displeased. “Is this all? You usually come with more.”

She could feel herself shaking with fear. “That is all I could get.”

“You are lying. I know you had more.” He stood up and yelled at her. “Where is the rest of it?” Ororo started backing away from him with fear. He reached and grabbed her arm. “Don’t you try to run away from me child. You will tell me where the rest of my money it!”

Tears streaked down Ororo’s face. “I had to give it back. I didn’t have any other choice. The white man stopped me and made me give it back.”

“How did he do that?”

“He called out to me and I just froze. I tried to run away but I couldn’t. Then he started talking to me but it was all in my head. His mouth did not move at all. He told me to give him the money back. I was scared…”

“I’ll give you something to be scared of.” Ororo watched as the large man hit the child across the face.

The impact knocked the child down to the ground. She watched the large man kneel in front of her and place his hands on her head. “This will only hurt for a minute little one.” Ororo could feel what the child was experiencing. It felt as though her brain was being pulled out of her head.




As Ororo screamed from the pain, the thunder boomed. The sound woke everyone in the house. Logan bolted up in bed. He listened closely and then heard her scream again. He rushed out his room and ran to her door. He extended his claws before opening the door, ready for a fight if needed. He looked in her room and found her sitting straight up in her bed. He examined the room closely and saw there was no intruder. He signaled to the students who had come around the corner to wait where they were standing. While he knew that Storm was not under attack, he still didn’t want anyone to see her until he knew what was going on.

He walked across the room and stood near her bed. “Ro, you alright?” When she didn’t answer he moved closer and sat down on the bed next to where she was sitting. He looked at her and saw a vacant look on her face and he could smell fear coming from her. He didn’t understand what was going on and the only way to find out was to wake her up. He grabbed her shoulders and shook her slightly. “Come on Ro, wake up.”

He watched as Ororo slowly came out of her sleep. She looked around the room like she was confused about where she was. “Logan? What…?”

“You were screaming. I came in to see what was happening.”

“I was dreaming.

“What was it about?”

“I don’t …”She placed her fingers on her head and tried to concentrate hard. She could only see flashes of what happened. “Nothing. The only thing coming is flashes.”

“What do ya see?”

“I’m not …”

Before she got a chance to finish a voice came from the door. “Everything alright Logan?”

They both looked at the door and standing there was Rogue, Kitty, Bobby, Peter, and Hank. All of them had worried looks on their faces. Logan spoke up. “Everything is fine. Ro just had a bad dream. Listen go check on the younger students and make sure they are ok.”

They watched as the group left. Ororo looked back at Logan. “I really had everyone worried.”

“I think for the older students, it was hearing you scream but I think the storm would have scared the younger ones more.” He reached over and touched her arm. “Now what happened so bad that it upset you so much?”

“I don’t know. I can’t remember all the details only bits and pieces. What’s wrong with me?”

“Nothings wrong. It’s normal for people not to be able to remember every detail of a dream. Just tell me what you do remember.”

“I’m in Cairo after my parents died. I’m lost and scared on the street and then some man comes to help. All I can see of him is his hand. Then it is the day I robbed Charles. Then I’m in some kind of hut with a man.”

“So what happened that made you scream?”

She snaps at him out of frustration. “I don’t know Logan” She places her head in her hands. “I’m sorry Logan. I didn’t mean to snap at you. It’s just that I’m frustrated and confused.” She began to cry softly. She looked back up at him. “I don’t understand what is happening. I know there has to be something wrong. I have never been so terrified of anything in my life but I don’t know what of. Logan…”

Logan watched as the normally strong Storm broke down right in front of him. Her tears started falling harder. He watched as she buried her face into her hands almost like she was ashamed that she was crying in front of him. He watched as her body started trembling but he wasn’t sure if it was out of sadness or fear. The only thing he knew to do was comfort her.

He pulled her into his arms, making her head rest on his chest. He stroked her hair as he would a scared child. He offered her calming words. “There isn’t anything wrong with you. I promise you everything will be alright. We will get to the bottom of this.” He listened as her breathing calmed and her body relaxed. He looked at her and noticed that she was sound asleep. He knew if he moved, she would wake up. He gently eased himself back until he was laying flat on his back. He felt her stir slightly until she was snuggled up closer to him. He allowed her steady breathing lure him to sleep. That night the two of them had the most peaceful sleep that they have had in a while.





You must login () to review.