You Just Might Make Me Believe
Chapter 4: With My eyes Closed

Logan woke up early to get in his morning run before breakfast. He hurried and dressed in his lose shorts, tank, and running shoes. He ran down the stairs and headed toward the kitchen. He heard the sound of glasses clicking together and the smell of fruit mixed together. He walked in and was surprised to find Ororo standing in the kitchen wearing some short black shorts, a grey tank top with a large “X” on it and a pair of running shoes. He went to the fridge and pulled out his next to last beer. He made a mental note to get some today when Storm and he went to get some groceries. “So, what you got there bosslady?”

“A fruit power smoothie. It’s really good. You should try it sometime.”

“I think I’ll stick with what I got. So, you going for a run?”

“Yes, why do you ask?”

“Just not used to seeing you up this early.”

“”Usually I’m up earlier. I like to get my run in, shower, and dress before all the students get up. I was so tired though from having to get everything ready last night that I overslept.” She paused for a second. “I just want to say thank you for all your help last night. I really don’t think I would have gotten everything done if it wasn’t for you.”

“You don’t have to thank me again. Like I said last night, I’m glad to help and if you ever need me for anything again, just ask. I mean come on; I’m willingly going shopping today so that must show you I would do anything.”

Ororo cracked a smile at Logan. “I suppose you are right.” She finished her drink. “I’m going to head on out.”

Logan finished up his beer and followed after her. “You want some company in your run today?”

“I don’t know Logan. I don’t really like to do just a leisurely run first thing in the morning.”

“I don’t leisurely run any time darlin’. How about this, if you don’t want to run together how about we make it into a contest to see who is the better runner.”

“I don’t know Logan. I can run pretty fast when I put my mind to it. I would hate to hurt your male pride by beating you.”

“Do you honestly think that you can out run me?”

“It’s possible.”

“Only if you fly.”

“You are being quiet cocky.”

“You’re not being much better bosslady.” Logan got a mischievous gleam in his eyes. “How about this, I bet you that I can out run you. And if I win you have to do what ever I ask but if you win, I have to do what ever you ask.”

Storm got a concerned look on her face. “I’m not sure about that Logan.”

“What’s wrong bosslady; scared I’ll prove you wrong?”

“No that’s not it. Just worried about how you will handle being beat by me and then everyone finding out since you will be my beck and call boy.” She began to think. “How about this. The loser buys the winner lunch today when we go out.”

“Not to bad an idea bosslady. I’ll just have to think about where I want to go eat after. I think I’m in the mood for steak.” He extended his hand for her to shake.

She extended hers and shook his hand. “It doesn’t matter to me where we go eat. I just hope you bring a really big wallet because I can be a big eater.”

“So am I darlin’” They both got in the position to start. “Alright Bosslady. Ready, Set, Go.”

With that both Logan and Ororo took off. Logan got a pretty good advance on her. He looked back and saw that it looked like Storm was only running a steady jog. He knew there was no way that she could win if she kept this up. “Hey I can taste that free steak already. If I had known this would be this easy I would have kept the original bet.”

“Don’t worry about me Logan. You haven’t won just yet.” She continued to run. She was not going to let Logan try to psyche her out. She knew what she was doing. She knew she had a chance to win. All she had to do was be patient.

Logan felt himself being to relax. He closed his eyes and started concentrating on his breathing. For anyone else running with their eyes closed would have been an impossible task but not for Logan. He actually felt that he ran better with his eyes closed. It allowed him relax and concentrate on other things. He knew the area so well that he wasn’t concerned about anything coming up in his way. Plus he knew it would be such a better feeling if he was able to win against Ororo with his eyes closed. He opened his eyes and saw that he was right back where they stared. “Yes I knew I could do it.” He turned around and did not see Ororo any where. “No Storm in sight.”

He heard a voice that snapped his attention to the chair on the deck. “If you would have kept your eyes open while you were running you would have noticed that I passed you after we passed the big tree.”

“You had to have cheated.” He noticed that Ororo had a smirk on her face. “That’s it isn’t it. You used your powers and flew ahead of me. That’s the only way you could have bet me.”

“Logan I did not use my powers. I used my brain.” She noticed the look of disbelief of Logan’s face. “Let me put it this way. When we started off I noticed that you started off at full speed. It’s natural body chemistry. When you start off fast, you burn up a large amount of energy. There is no way that your body can keep up that beginning speed. However, if you start off slow and build up your speed as you run, then you actually are able to cover a larger distance at a faster time. Maybe you should sit in on a few of my physics classes.”

“I’m still not convinced that you didn’t use your powers.”

“I can only give you my word Logan that I did not use any of my powers to win this race. Whether or not you believe me however does not change the fact that I won and you lost. It also does not change the fact that you owe me lunch. I’ll see you at 11:30 and don’t forget to bring your wallet.”

She turned and went back in the mansion. He sat down in the chair that she had just vacated and buried his face in his hands, still in disbelief that he had gotten beaten by a girl.





You must login () to review.