You Just Might Make Me Believe
Chapter 6: Lunch Date

Logan pulled into the entrance of the mall parking lot much to the squeals of the girls in the back seat. He let out an involuntary growl that signaled to the girls that they had better calm down. He found a parking place and was about to pull into it when this little punk in a BMW whopped into it. “That little Son of a Bitch.”

“Logan…”

“Well he knew that I was going to get that place and he thinks that just because his little punk ass has a fancy BMW that he has the right to cut people off. He should be lucky that I don’t jump and kick his damn ass right here in the parking lot.”

Storm answered his ranting with a stern voice. “Ranting, raving, and cussing like a mad man is not going to solve anything.”

“Well it pissed me off.”

“I know and I understand but it’s over and done with. Now just go find another parking place.” After riding around the mall for two times, he finally found a spot that was not in BFE. They walked into the mall entrance and the girls stopped and waited for Storm’s directions. “Alright, you have two hours to walk around and shop. Do not cause any trouble and if for any reason you run into any problem, you know how to get in touch with me. We will meet back here in the food court at 1:30.”

Jubilee grabbed Kitty’s and Marie’s hand. “If all we have is two hours, we had better get going. C-ya.”

Logan shook his head. “I don’t understand how one person can enjoy shopping so much.”

“She’s a teenage girl Logan. At least there can be some normalcy in her life.”

“Guess your right. So ya ready to go eat.”

“Yes I am. Thank you for asking.”

Logan and Ororo walked off together to the food court. They located TGYFridays and waited in the front on someone to seat them. Finally, someone came up and offered them a seat. “Would you like smoking or non-smoking?”

Logan spoke up first. “Non and could we get a booth?”

“Yes Sir. Right this way.” He ushered them back to a booth in the corner. “Here are the menus. Just look over it and your waiter will be right with you.”

He walked away and Ororo looked at Logan quite surprised. “What is darlin’?”

“I’m just surprised. I was sure you would have asked for smoking so you could enjoy one of your nice cigars.”

“Well, I know you don’t like smoking around you so I figured to be nice I would sit in non-smoking. I can wait until we get back to the mansion to smoke.”

“Thank you Logan for everything.”

“All I did was not sit in smoking.”

“No you have done so much more. I still have never forgotten you being there for me that night. I also have not forgotten that you wanted to leave on that night but didn’t because I asked you to stay.”

“Storm I’ve told you that you don’t have to keep on thanking me for stuff. I did it for you cause you’re my fried. I don’t have many of them, so I like to do nice things for the ones I got so I keep ‘em.”

She was about to comment back when the waiter came up. “My name is Mike and I’ll be your waiter. Are you ready to order or do you both need a minute?”

Logan spoke up. “I’m ready. Ro are you?”

“I’m ready. I’ll have the Grilled South Western Chicken Breast, Steamed Vegetables, a salad with the Fat Free Ranch dressing, and decaf sweet tea to drink.”

“And you sir?”
“I want a T-bone steak, rare, with fries; a loaded baked potatoes instead of a salad, and bring me a Canadian Beer.” The waiter walked away. “I thought you were going to order a huge steak. Instead, you get the chicken.”

“I was just kidding you Logan. I’m really not that much of a meat eater unless it is a hamburger. I hope I haven’t disappointed you with my order.”

“No darlin’ just expected you to get somem’ else.” He tried to think of anything to talk about with her. It hit him that he really didn’t know anything about her. “You know Ro, you are one of the only friends I got and I just realize I know nothing about you cept what little Hank has told me. So what’s the deal about you?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean where are you from?”

“New York.”

“I know where you are from now. I mean where were you born?”

“Still New York.”

“So you have lived your entire life in New York? That is impossible since there is a hint of an accent.”

“I have not lived in New York my entire life. I also lived in Cairo Egypt.”

“So is that were your parents were from?”

“No, my father lived in New York. My mother was from a small village in Africa.”

“If your parents lived two different continents away from each other, how did they meet?”

“My father was a reporter. He was assigned to do a report on different tribes in Africa for a magazine he was working for. While at one of the tribes, he was blessed to meet the tribal royalty. My mother was the princess of the tribe. My father had never seen anyone so beautiful so he wanted to date her. However, it was against tribal rules for a member of royalty to become involved with anyone outside of the tribe. Not only that but my mother was promised to another man. My mother though fell in love with my father and they would go sinking off together at night. My father though was called back to America to work on his report. He went and asked my mother to move to America with him and she agreed. When they moved here, they married, began a happy life, and had me.”

“So if your parents lived here, how did you live in Egypt?”

“My father was sent out there to do a report on a war that was going on. My mother did not want to stay in America alone, so she and I went with him.”

“Where are your parents now?”

“They died in Egypt. A plane hit the hotel that we were staying in. My parents and I were buried beneath the rubble. I was the only survivor. To this day I live with the scar of laying there and listening to my parents die slowly and painfully. That is the reason for my fear of enclosed places now. It takes me back to that day and those feelings”

Logan noticed that she got a sad look on her face. He also noticed that her eyes started turning bluish grey and the sky outside also took on the look of her eyes. He knew this is a topic that she just didn’t want to talk about. “I’m sorry. Listen if you don’t want to talk about it, I’ll understand. I just wanted to get to know you. Hank has tried to tell me a little about you but he doesn’t know it all. He says you were a little guarded as a child.”

“I was very guarded but that is because I only remember bits and pieces of my life. I remember clearly the day my parents died but everything after that until Charles brought me to America is a blur. Charles helped me with some things. He worked with me on the day my parents died and has made it bearable.”

“How old were you when Charles brought you here?”

“I was seven years old but he found me in Africa when I was six. I was attempting to pick his pocket…”

Logan was shocked at what he heard. “Wait one second, did you say pick his pocket? As in steal his money?”

“Yes. When you are an orphan in Africa you do anything you think of to get money for food or you starve to death. Anyway, Charles said he felt a connection between him and me but didn’t know what it was. He tried to follow me but lost me and it took him a year to find me again. When he found me he realized that the thing that we had in common was a special gift. While they were not the same we both were different from the others in the world. He brought me back to America and the rest is history.”

"Wait, if Charles realized that you and he shared a special gift then that means you developed your powers at six."

"That's right. Charles however thougth that I developed them much earlier. As a matter of fact he thinks that the stress of my parents death caused my powers to develop much sooner."

"Why did he think that?"

"Because he said that on the day that my parents died a level 5 hurrican hit Florida, one of the largest earthquakes hit Calafornia, several volcanos errupted in Hawii, and a huge tidal wave hit China. Never in the history of the world has that many natural disatures happened at the same time. Charles felt it was me losing control."

"Wow. That's the reason you have to be in so much control." She nodded her head yes and he continued asking her questions. “Hank said you distrusted normal people. Why?”

“I would prefer not to talk about it. I’ll just say I had my reasons. I wish there was anything you could tell me about your life.”

“Me too darlin’ but someone felt it would be ok to steal my very identity. I just wish I knew why and who. But I can tell you this, if I ever find out I’ll gut them like” That thought was ended by the waiter bringing out the food.

They both ate in silence. After they finished their meal, Logan paid the check and they meet with the kids and left the mall to do their grocery shopping so they could head back home.





You must login () to review.