You Just Might Make Me Believe
Chapter 8:

Logan leaned against the wall while he watched his self-defense class work. This was his last group of the day and was ready to get his long weekend ready. He noticed that several of the students were getting the moves he had taught them all wrong. “Hey, everyone stop what you are doing.” He moved to the middle of the gym. “There is no way that y’all will pass this class if you can’t even do a normal leg sweep and get your opponent off their feet.” He took a deep breath. “I’m going to end class here.” He heard the sounds of joy come from the students. “Before any of you get too happy, while class is ending, you have work to do during your break. I’m going to pair y’all with some of my advanced students. Okay, let’s see. Jubilee and Allie y’all work with Kitty. Sarah and Betsy y’all are with Marie. Alex and Warren y’all are with Bobbie. Lance and Allen y’all are with Petey. You are to work with them every day until you have the four moves I showed you down pat by Monday. I’ll go ahead and tell you that every one of you needs work and a lot of it. I don’t care how many times you meet with your person as long as you get the moves by Monday. It’s also your responsibility to get with your person; they will not hunt you down. If y’all want to be X-Men, it’s time you start acting like one. Class is over. Get out.”

Logan slumped down the wall in pure exhaustion. It was time like this when he didn’t understand why he had even agreed to take on the classes. It was times like this he had no idea why he had stayed on. Right now all he wanted to do was be on the back of his bike, riding through the woods in Canada, just enjoying being free. Instead, he was sitting on his ass telling kids what to do and trying to teach them to fight. He knew why he stayed, Ro. That night when she broke down in front of him, he knew he couldn’t leave her. She was one lady that he couldn’t figure out. He thought he had her all figured out up until that night at Harry’s. He was sure that she was going to hate everything about that night. She seemed more like the Opera and champagne kind of girl, not a country bar and beer kind. She was full of surprises, especially when she kissed him. He could still taste the sweetness of her lips. She tasted like honey. He was stroking his bottom lip when he heard a voice come from the door. “Where’s all your students Logan?”

He looked up and found Ororo standing in the door. “Weren’t getting anywhere with them. They were too excited about getting a few days off. So I let them go. Notice you’re not with your class.”

“Kitty’s watching them. They had to finish up a pop quiz. Told them after they finished, they could leave.”

He got up off the floor and gave her a half smile. “Guess we had the same idea.” As he moved toward her he caught the scent of someone else, someone he didn’t know. “You gonna introduce me.”

“Yes Logan, this is Sean Cassidy. Sean this is Logan. He is the head of our physical ed. Department.”

Logan extends his hand. “I teach ‘em to fight. What you do?”

Sean takes his hand and shakes. “I scream loud. I’m going to take over the European Studies for Ororo.”

“Well welcome to the nut house. Boss lady, when you get done leading the new kid around, can I talk with you?”

“Yes, meet me in my office in an hour.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

Logan walked away from the two of them. “Is he always like that?”

“Logan is very direct and says what he thinks but he is very good at what he does.”

“His mutation?”

“He has an advanced healing factor. He seems to have animalistic senses. He can see, hear, taste, and smell anything. Also, despite his bulky frame he is amazingly agile when fighting and is very good at it. He knows every type of fighting style that there is. He is truly a great addition to the mansion.”

“If you say so Storm. So what is this room?”

“Well to the untrained eye it’s just a gym but as you remember nothing is what it seems.” She walked inside as he followed. “It is also a training room. A student or member of the team can come in here and practice fighting any known threat or member of the team that they wish. It allows us to practice ways to approach situations. We can activate it by calling out a command or by using the control panel up there.” She pointed toward the ceiling where he saw a room behind a window. “Next time we have a simulation, I’ll invite you to watch.” She hit the button which opened the door. “I’ll finish showing you around the school now.”




Ororo and Sean walked up to her office door. “And we’re back where we started.” She opened the door and found Logan asleep on the couch. “Darn man.”

“I’ll wake him up.”

Sean went and pushed on Logan’s shoulder. He heard Storm yell out. “Look out.” He jumped back just about the time Logan’s clawed fist was going to meet his face.

“What the hell?”

“Sorry Sean, Logan hates to be awaken suddenly.”

“He has claws coming out of his hands.”

“I forgot to tell you he also has adamatium running through his body and that he has metal claws coming out of his hands.”

“There is no way he could have been born like that.”

“Your right bub. I wasn’t bon like this. Some group of scientist thought it would be a good idea to use me as a gianne pig. They pumped my body full of adamantium to see what it would do. They knew that it wouldn’t kill me because of my healing factor and these…”He held up his hands with the claws fully seen. “were the results. Now you can understand why I don’t like to be woke up suddenly.”

“Yes I understand.” He turned back to Ororo. “Thank you for bringing me back on board Ororo. I promise I’ll do my best.” He turned back to Logan. “It was nice to meet you.”

“Yeah you too.” Logan watched as Sean walked out the door. When he was sure he was far enough away he smiled at Ororo. “Where did you find him at?”

“Sean was a former student here. He came back as a favor to me. Now I only have to find someone who will take over my English classes and I’ll be down to four classes a day. With all my duties, I feel that will be manageable.” She walked to her desk and sat down. “Now what can I do for you Logan?”

“Well I was hoping I could talk into going out with me tonight.”

“Where to?”

“You know where. I think it’s time we make another visit to Harry’s.”

“Logan, I’m not sure…”

“Come on Ro. Loosen up and come with me. You said that you had a good time last time.”

“I did but…”

“No buts. We don’t have school again until Monday. That gives you five days to get everything ready that you need for then. Let’s go out and have a good time tonight. I’ll buy you a beer and may even let you beat me at a game of pool.”

“Let me beat you. You don’t have to let me do anything. I’ll beat you far and square.”

“So that means…”

“I’ll meet you at 8:30 downstairs.”

“I’ll be waitin’” Logan walked out the door and left Ororo to finish up her work.




Ororo and Logan got to Harry’s by 9:30. They noticed that there were less people then there was Friday night but there were more people than they thought would be there for a Wednesday. They went up to the bar and Harry came up to help them. “Surprised to see you tonight Logan. You usually don’t come unless it’s Friday or Saturday. What brings you here tonight with this lovely lady again?”

“School’s out till Monday. Ro and I figured that we would come out and relax after dealin’ with a bunch of kids all day. You a lot busier than I thought you’d be on a Wednesday.”

“We’re always busy on Wednesdays. It’s Karaoke night. I’ll get y’all two beers.”

Harry walked away and got a few more orders before getting their beers. “Great, just what I wanted to do, come to a bar and listen to a bunch of untalented, drunk people sing.”

“Come on Logan, it could be fun to listen. At least you will have laugh.”

“Guess your right darlin’.” He got the beer Harry was handing him. “Thanks.” He looked and noticed that all the pool tables were taken. “We’ll just have to wait here until a table opens.”

“Fine with me.”

They sat back and watched the people on the dance floor. H noticed that Lisa was there dancing with another man. He caught her making eyes with him so he leaned over and gave Ro a kiss on the check. She turned and looked at him surprised. He nodded his eyes over in Lisa’s direction and Ororo’s eyes followed. She reached out, grabbed his free hand, and laid her head on his shoulder. He noticed that their public display affection had also made a man stop dead in his tracks that was on his way in their direction. Logan could only guess that he way on his way to ask Ro something. He didn’t know why but he was glad the man walked away. He noticed that one of the tables was opened. He grabbed her hand and led her over to the table. He handed her a pool stick. “Why don’t we make a deal. Loser of the best of three has kitchen duty next week.”

“Sounds good to me. Hope you enjoy washing dishes.”

“It will be you who is washing all the dishes.”

He broke the balls and they played. Two games later they were tied. Ororo had a cocky smile on her face. “What’s wrong? The mighty Wolverine thought that he would bet me right quick.”

“You were just lucky the last game.”

“Lucky? I kicked your butt fair and square and after I bet you in this game, you will be in the kitchen all next week. I bet you’ll look so cute in little pink apron.”

“Shut up and let’s play.” They started the game and kept on playing until Logan was left to get the eight ball in. “Get ready darlin’ as soon as I sink this ball, you’ll be in front of the sink for a week.”

Ororo watched with held breath as she watched the ball head straight to the corner pocket. A smile stretched across as she watched it hit the side and bounce in front of the pocket and come to a complete stop. She watched as Logan mouthed the word damn. She leaned across the table and tapped the ball and watched as it went in the pocket. She looked at Logan’s down cast eyes and felt bad. “Sorry, Logan. Guess I was just lucky.”

“Yeah you were. Don’t worry about it, Ro. You won fair and square. At least I can use the dish washer.”

She and Logan busted out laughing. “Come on; let’s watch some drunk people make a fool of themselves.”

She linked her arm in with Logan’s. They walked up to the front of the stage and watched as a group of girls sang “Before He Cheats” extremely off key. They watched as three more groups got up there and sang. Ororo had done drank her fourth beer by that point and feeling every bit of the alcohol. Logan decided that that it might be a good idea to pay her back for beating him at pool. “I think that you could do so much better than these other girls.”

“Me go up there and sing. I’m not that drunk yet.”

“Come on Ro. I’ve heard you sing around the mansion, you’re good.”

“I’m not saying I’m not good but I’m not going up there to sing. Besides, I don’t know many country songs.”

“I’m sure they have one that you know. Go on up there and sing.” Each time she would say no, he would tell her to go up there. Finally he said. “If you go up there, I’ll go.”

“What?”

“You heard me. If you go up there now, then I’ll go up there later.”

“Ok, I’ll do it.” She went up on the stage and looked through the list of songs and picked out one she knew. She listened as the announcer told the audience who she was. She walked out on the stage. “Ok people, this is one of my favorites. Hope you like it.”
The music started up and Ororo brought the mike up to her mouth.

“I need to go shopping
These shoes are all wrong
Just look in my closet
Not a thing to put on
I wonder how these jeans make me look from behind
Things that never cross a man's mind

Lets turn off the tv
Now can't we just talk
Lets lay here and cuddle
Til we both drift off
If we don't make love
That'll be just fine
Things that never cross a man's mind

That joke is too dirty
This steak is too thick
Ain't no way in the world I'll ever finish it
That car is too fast
This beer is too cold
And watchin’ all this football is sure getting old
Wish I was workin this weekend
Not on the lake reelin’ my line
Things that never cross a man's mind.”


Logan watched as she got all into the song. He noticed that she started putting movements to the song and he also noticed she was really good.


“Her lips are too red
Her skirt is too tight
Her legs are too long
And her heels are too high
Boy, she looks like the marryin kind
Things that never cross a man's mind

That joke is too dirty
This steak is too thick
Ain't no way in the world I'll ever finish it
That car is too fast
This beer is too cold
And watchin all this football is sure getting old
Wish I was workin this weekend
Not on the lake reelin my line
Things that never cross a man's mind

I feel a little bloated
I think I'm fixin to start
That movie was good except for the violent parts
Brad Pitt is sexy
Why did he change his hair
I knew him and Jenny never had a prayer
These curtains clash with the carpet
The color scheme is a crime
Things that never cross a man's mind
Things that never cross a man's mind”


She got done with the song and the crowded went wild. Logan clapped and whistled his response. She got off the stage and went right into Logan’s arms. She heard the announcer asking for more singers. “Ok I held up my end. Now you go on up.”

“I ain’t going up there. I said I would sing but I didn’t say when. You were really good darlin’ but you should have made me go first.”

“That was a dirty trick Logan.”

“I know but it worked.” He finished up his beer. “Come on darlin’, let’s go home.” He put his arm around her waist and led her out the door. He helped her into the car and headed back home.





You must login () to review.