Chap 11: Time Away

Ororo enjoyed the soft caress of the winds as they carried her across the midnight sky. Looking down at the grounds below, she saw the one thing she knew would help relax her “ the lake. Swimming in any body of water always had a calming effect on her.

Angling the wind downward, Ororo dived deep into the middle of the lake. Allowing the water to caress and embrace her, she slowly swam to the surface. When she broke through it, she called up the winds to lift her above the water. As she allowed the wind to turn her, water from the lake was pulled into her mini cyclone, creating a watery shield. Ororo, deep in meditation, allowed Mother Nature to take the stress from her body and take it within itself. Unbeknownst to the Goddess, she was being watched.

Logan usually ended his days sitting by the lake, enjoying one of his expensive Cuban cigars. Pulling deep on the sweet smelling stick, he saw something white flying through the air and landing in the middle of the lake. Not sure what to think, Logan jumped to his feet and raced to the edge of the water, waiting to see if the thing would surface. When the thing did, he could not believe his eyes. What he saw made his mouth drop wide.

Ro, he thought, immediately recognizing the white hair and the white suit she had worn to the party. His instincts told him to swim out to her but something in his mind froze him in place. As he watched, Ororo surfaced and flew above the water, creating a mini cyclone around her.

Logan stood on the shore transfixed and awed by the sheer power and control of the Weather Goddess as the mini cyclone circled around itself, staying in one place and maintaining its size. A feeling of calmness washed over him as he watched his friend in her element. Satisfied that she was not in danger, Logan returned to his spot on the log, knowing that he would never forget the spectacle before him.

Just as he was relighting his cigar, the cyclone stopped circling, all of the water falling back to its resting place in the lake. Ororo hovered above the lake, allowing the wind to dry her wet clothes and hair. Satisfied, the Goddess glided over to the edge of the lake, unaware of her audience. Taking on last look out at the lake, Ororo turned to see her someone sitting on her favorite log. Startled, Ororo took her stance, ready for anything.

“Who’s there?” she called out, only seeing the light at the end of Logan’s cigar.

“Hey, ‘Ro,” Logan replied, getting up and stepping out of the dark shadows and walking into the moonlight.

“Logan?” she said, questioningly, trying to catch her breath. She visibly relaxed when he stepped into the light. “You startled me.”

“Same here,” he said, getting closer. Knowing that she didn’t like his cigars, he put out the fire and put the slightly smoking bud in his pocket, saving it for later. “Kinda late to be taking a walk. What cha doing out so late?” he asked, a curious look on his face.

“I was just about to ask you the same thing,” she said, knowing at once that he saw her out in the lake.

“I come out here to relax sometimes. It helps my temperament,” he replied, his gaze coming to rest on her slate blue eyes.

“Yes, this area seems to have that affect on me as well.”

“Wanna sit and talk?” he asked, nodding toward the log.

“Sit yes, Talk no,” she replied. He nodded his understanding and led the way to the log.

Sitting next to him, Ororo’s mind was flooded with the many memories, both good and bad, she had about sitting next to Logan on the log. Here was the place where they would either have some of their best and worst conversations or just sit next to each other, enjoying the company of the other. They would get up early and go to the lake to meditate, each in their own way “ him, while gazing out at the lake; her, turning inward, closing her eyes to block out the outside world.

That was so long ago, she thought sneaking a glance at Logan’s profile as he looked out at the lake. Deciding that she didn’t want to relive them right then, Ororo closed her eyes and started meditating, allowing her mind to go blank as she surrendered to the sounds of Mother Nature’s nightly lullaby.

Logan, also feeling nostalgic, remembered when they started “talking” (slang for getting to know each other on a more-than-friends level) as Jubilee would say, before they decided to be exclusive. In one of their early conversations, Ororo expressed to him how she was usually reluctant to reveal so much of herself. He had assured her that he wouldn’t cause her or her heart any due stress. What a load of crock, he thought, grunting, remembering the day he broke that promise.

They had never discussed what happened between them. His foolish pride had kept him from admitting that he was then still in love with Jean and only with Ororo because he wanted a warm body around to keep him busy until he could have Jean. Like the old saying goes, it was only after he lost Ororo that he realized that she was much more than a warm body…she was the closest thing he has had as a best friend since coming to the mansion. She knew him almost as well as he knew himself. In the days following their breakup, Logan had really missed their nightly walks where they talked about whatever came to mind, many nights sharing things they had never shared with anyone else.

Why did I have to be so stupid, he scowled himself, looking over at his friend. She’s so beautiful, he thought as he watched her meditate. Turning back toward the lake, Logan knew deep in his heart that this woman was the one he planned to spend the rest of his life with. The only problem now was trying to convince her.

Opening her eyes, Ororo stared out at the lake, enjoying noisy tranquility of her surroundings. Ororo had felt Logan’s eyes on her while she meditated. She hoped that he wouldn’t probe her about what happened today. All she wanted was a little vacation so that she could just be without her responsibilities as an X-Man.

“Ro, ya remember how when we sat on this log, it seemed that we could tell each other anything?” Logan asked, breaking the silence between them.

“Yes, I do,” she replied, feeling like he wanted to share something with her.

“Well, there was something I wanted to tell you. Its something I should have told you a long time ago but…” he said, his voice trialing off.

Looking at him now, Ororo waited for him to continue.

Taking a deep breath, Logan summoned the courage to say what he felt he needed to say. I would rather have a sparing session with Sabertooth, he thought turning to her and taking her hand in his.

“‘Ro, I never got the chance to say I’m sorry for what I did,” he began, and she started shaking her head, saying that he didn’t have to continue.

“No, darling,” he said, touching the side of her face with his free hand, “I’ve waited long enough to say something that should have been said months ago. The words you expressed to me that night when you left the entertainment room were true. Even after spending time with you at the cabin and with my feelings for you, I still wasn’t over Jean, even after she blatantly broke my heart months before we went to the cabin.”

“Logan, please. You don’t have to do this,” she began but he placed a finger against her lips, silencing her.

“Yes, I do. I made you a promise that I would never hurt you but I did. So I do owe you an apology,” he told her, silencing her protest.

“When we started dating, I enjoyed spending time with you but my heart still longed for Jean. It took you leaving me to make me realize that, while my mind was focused on taking Jean from Scott, my heart had found another to love.”

She looked at him, questioningly, the implied meaning in his words ringing loud in her thoughts. No, she thought, not now. Not when I’m involved with Forge.

“What I’m trying to say ‘Ro is…,” he started, struggling to find the right words, “Although in my mind, I was still in love with Jean but my heart was falling in love with you. It took my mind a while to realize it and when it did, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I’m in love with you ‘Ro and in my heart, I know that you are the one for me.”

Ororo looked deep into his eyes, trying to see if he was in fact, telling the truth. Her spirit told her he was but her heart had hardened to his words since he had said similar things before they started dating exclusively. She knew that she had never stopped loving him and probably never will but she wasn’t ready to give up on what she was building with Forge either. So there’s the dilemma.

“Logan, I love you too,” she began, seeing the light in his eyes, hating what she was about to say but needing to say it at the same time, “but, Forge and I are trying to build something together now and it wouldn’t be fair to him. So I appreciate you telling me this but I have had to move on because I’m looking for something that I didn’t get when we were together. Now I feel I can and am getting that from Forge. So please understand that I truly do love you but only as a friend, not like I use too.”

“I know. I just wanted to get that off my chest. See, I told you it was something about this log,” he said, trying to lighten the mood.

Smiling, Ororo shivered, her clothes not fully dry from her dip in the lake.

“Cold?”

“A little.”

“Come on. I’ll walk you back to the mansion,” he said standing, holding out his hand for hers.

“I know this may sound silly, but I would rather not go back to the mansion,” she replied, taking his hand and standing.

“Okay,” he said, lightly holding her hand, “So where would you like to go?”

“I was going to go to one of the cabins on the other side of the lake but the funny thing is I really don’t want to be alone.”

“Why not crash at the boathouse tonight? You know I have an extra bedroom,” he replied, hoping that she would accept his offer.

Ororo, knowing that it would be hard to explain her spending the night at Logan’s but too tired to really care, decided that she would. It would allow her to get away from the mansion without actually leaving the property.

“Sounds like a plan,” she replied, surprising him, “Lead the way, dear night woodsman.”

Logan, excited about the fact that Ororo had decided to go to home with him, decided to take the fastest route back to the boathouse. Pulling out his flashlight, Logan took Ororo’s hand in his and led her into the woods. Since it was hardly ever used, the trial was overgrown with weeds and hadn’t been cleared of logs and other debris that had fallen. Despite the obstacles of the path, Logan tried to cover the ground as quickly as he could with Ororo in tow, sensing that she was having a hard time with the closeness of their surrounding.

Gripping Logan’s hand tightly, Ororo tried to focus her attention away from the rising panic, struggling to envelope her. Totally focused on maintaining control, Ororo didn’t realize she had stepped in a hole until it was too late.

“Logan!” she hissed painfully, pulling her injured ankle from the small hole.

Startled, Logan turned around, his arm instinctively going around Ororo’s waist, allowing her to shift her weight off her injured leg.

“Ro, what happened?” he asked

“I stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle,” she replied, her voice heavy.

Déjà vu, he thought. “Is it the same ankle you broke at the cabin?” he asked.

“Unfortunately, yes it is,” she said.

“Damn,” he said out loud, looking down at her, wondering why if the Gods were playing games with him, “Come on. Let’s get you off that leg.”

Reaching under her, Logan tenderly gathered the injured Goddess into his arms and started toward his boat house.

Holding the flashlight to light their way, Ororo couldn’t help thinking that of all the things that could happen, she would have to hurt the same ankle in the same way and with the same person there to ‘rescue’ her. What are you trying to tell me, Goddess, Ororo thought, glancing quickly up at the sky, looking for an answer she knew wasn’t there.

“Logan, I may have to stay away from you from now on,” Ororo told him, yawning.

“Why do you say that?” Logan asked, wondering if she was serious as he guided them through the densest part of the woods before finally emerging in the back of the boathouse.

“Because it seems that any time I’m alone with you, I injure myself in someway and then you have to come to my rescue. I have never been a damsel in distress this many times in my life,” she replied giggling, making him laugh, “But I’m happy that I have always had you there when I needed help. Thanks so much Logan.”

“It’s my pleasure, Ro,” Logan said, opening the door and entering at an angle, so that he wouldn’t jar her ankle.

“Of all the damsels in distress I have helped, you’re my favorite,” Logan told her as he laid her on the bed and kissed the top of her head.

Looking up at him, Ororo smiled and received one in return before Logan turned and headed to out to get something to dress her ankle.

Ororo leaned back against the soft pillows, trying to find a comfortable spot. She was still searching when Logan returned with some ice, some ankle wrap, and extra pillows.

She watched Logan as he silently worked, wrapping her ankle with gentle and firm movements, making sure that the wrap was just right. Once he finished, he stacked the extra pillows and gently placed her ankle on top of them. Lastly, he gently laid the ice on top of the wrap, causing Ororo to jump as the sudden coldness.

“You okay?” he asked, still holding the ice as he sat next to her on the bed.

“Yes, thank you Logan. You were trained in first aid while in the military right?” she asked, looking at him with clear blue eyes.

“Yeah, something like that. Can I get you something to eat, drink?” he asked adjusting the ice bag so that it would stay put without his help.

“No, I’m good,” she said.

“Sleepy?”

“Not really. You?”

“Nope. I’m good,” he said, leaning up against the headboard next to her, “So are you feeling better?”

“Yes, my leg is much better.”

“Not your leg,” he said, hoping that she would be ready to talk about what happened at the mansion.

“You know Logan, I didn’t expect anyone to be out at the lake tonight,” she said, pausing to take a breath, looking over at him, “I was hoping that I would be alone to do what I needed to do. I know that most people expect me to be in control at all times especially since my mutant abilities are controlled by my emotions. And I even started believing that myself.”

“I had convinced myself that I can always being in control of my emotions but then I’m forced to remember a very important fact of life that I have forgotten and neglected,” she trialed off, her mind deep in thought.

“And what’s that Ro?” he asked.

“That despite of my mutant ability, I am still human. And in being human, I can not control all of my emotions. I’m not perfect nor am I the Goddess that the people thought I was. I have days when nothing can faze me. Then there are other times when I get to a point where I can not take it anymore and the least little thing sets me off.”

“So tonight was one of those times?” he asked, his eyes focused on her face.

“Yes. I have had to bite my tongue many times in the last few months when dealing Scott. He has for whatever reason pushed my buttons and tonight was, as they say, the straw that broke the camel’s back. I tried, Logan, I really did but when he said what he said and did what he did, I couldn’t take it anymore because he not only disrespected me but also the other team members present. Part of me feels that I owe him an apology but on the other hand, he really had it coming.”

“That sound like something I would say,” he replied, chuckling at Ororo’s choice of words.

“Well, if you’re around someone for a long period of time, you tend to pick up some of their saying and mannerisms. I would say I picked up some of your better qualities,” she replied jokingly, making him laugh, “You know Logan, its good to be able to talk to you and make you laugh. I really miss that.”

Logan could hear the sadness in her voice.

“Yeah, me too.”

“You know, even though we broke up, I never stopped being your friend,” she said, holding his hand in hers.

“Yeah, but ‘Ro it was hard because I hurt you.”

“And that you did Logan, but time heals most wounds. I won’t say that my wounds have completely healed but I do miss my friend. So if I can forgive you, can you forgive yourself so that we can be friends again?”

Logan looked deep into her eyes, seeking the acceptance to the apology that was in his eyes. With a nod, Ororo gave Logan the peace that he needed to lay his guilt to rest. A smile spread across the gruff mutant’s face as he looked into the glowing face of his friend, someone who he considered his best friend.

“Now that that’s settled,” she said, feeling the pull of the Sandman’s call, yawning loudly, “I don’t know about you, Logan but I’m beat. Can you help me get comfortable?”

“Yeah…I think Hank should take a look at that ankle tomorrow just to be on the safe side,” he said helping her move her ankle to a more comfortable position.

“Mmmm-hhmmm,” she mumbled, snoring softly.

Logan stood and pulled the blanket from the foot of the bed to cover her. “Goodnight, my love,” he said, kissing her on the cheek and watching her for a few minutes before going to his bedroom.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Logan, you don’t have to carry me,” Ororo told him as they made their way to the mansion to get her ankle examined by Hank McCoy, “I can fly you know.”

“I’m just trying to be gentleman,” he replied, a mischievous gleam in his eyes, “And besides, I like sweeping beautiful women off their feet.”

“Aw, I bet you say that to all the girls.”

“Nah,” he said, stopping and looking down into her eyes, “Just the one I really care about.”

Blushing, Ororo looked away. Although she enjoyed the flirting, she felt as if she was being unfaithful to Forge. Logan, sensing the change in their conversation, fell silent as he continued up the path to the mansion’s doors. On the way, many curious students stood and watched the pair make their way to the mansion. The bolder students walked along side them and asked questions. Ororo, quick to silence the students’ rumor mill, explained that Logan was taking her to the clinic because she had twisted her ankle. Satisfied with her answer, the inquisitive students went back to the peers with the information, creating quite a stir.

Word of Ororo’s injury spread quickly, and when Logan stepped into the infirmary with Ororo in his arms, Hank and Forge were ready for them.

“So which ankle is it, my dear?” Hank asked, motioning for Logan to lay her on the examining table.

“Hank, how did you…?” she began and he smiled and nodded his head in the direction of Jubilee who sat in the glass office, doing her internship in the infirmary. Quickly understanding, the adults shared a laugh, knowing that no secrets could stay secret once the students got wind of it.

“It’s the same ankle, Hank,” Logan replied, his voice filled with concern.

“Oh, that’s not good,” Hank replied, moving around the room gathering the tools needed for Ororo’s examination.

“Hank, please don’t scare me like that,” Ororo replied nervously.

“My apologies, my dear.”

“I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about, Ororo,” Forge said patting her hand, trying to reassure her.

“Forge, would you help me prepare her for x-rays?” Beast asked his friend.

“Sure,” Forge replied, going to grab the x-ray smock.

“Logan, I’m sorry but I need you to step out until we’re done,” Hank told him, escorting him out the room.

“Yeah, I know when I’m not needed,” Logan said, his tone a cross between hurt and anger.

“Hey, Logan,” Ororo called as he turned to leave.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks again for being there,” she said, the smile on her face quickly turning to a painful grimace as Forge lifted her ankle.

“Anytime,” he said, softly as he headed out the door. Logan looked back at Ororo just in time to see Forge lean over and kiss her on the cheek before the doors slid close. Feeling the same as he did when he watched them dance, Logan knew that he would be paying for the mistake of hurting Ororo for a long time. But, he thought as he made his way to his morning training session, at least she knows how I feel and now I can work on winning my woman back.





You must login () to review.