Chap 16: The Proposal

Forty five minutes later, Ororo pulled into the garage, happy to finally be home.

“Thanks again Stormie,” Gambit said as they got out the car.

“It was my pleasure, Gambit. Now if you will excuse me, I’m going to check on a patient,” Ororo told him, getting a sly smile in response. Entering the house, Ororo walked down a short flight of stairs to reach the back elevator that would take her to the subbasement. Exiting the elevator, Ororo smiled her greetings to Scott and Jean as they came toward her on their way to the main elevator.

“Ororo, when you get a minute, we need to talk about the combat training sessions,” Scott said as they reached her.

“Sure Scott. How about tomorrow morning?”

“Okay. About 9?”

“War Room?”

“No, the patio where the sessions are held are good. See you then,” Scott said, leading Jean away, heading toward the elevator.

“See ya later, Ororo,” Jean yelled over her shoulder as she and Scott walked away.

Since his outburst, their big disagreement and subsequent showdown, Scott and Ororo’s relationship has been strained at best. Maybe one day we can renew our friendship, Ororo thought, as she stepped through the infirmary doors. She smiled when she saw Logan sitting on the side of his bed deep in conversation with an animated Jubilee.

“I can come back later if you two need more time,” Ororo said, announcing her presence.

“Storm, we missed you. Where did you go and what took so long?” Jubilee asked as she made her way over to Ororo to give her a hug.

“I haven’t been gone that long have I?” Ororo asked, returning the hug and looking up at Logan.

“It sure felt like it,” he said as he came over to the pair and hugged them both, slyly kissing Ororo on the cheek. After a few minutes, Jubilee wriggled, signaling the end of the hug.

“I’m going to get something to eat and do some homework,” she said before reaching up and kissing Logan on the cheek, “Bye Wolvie, its good to have you back. See ya tomorrow.” And with a wave from the door, Jubilee was gone, leaving them alone.

“Finally,” Logan said, taking Ororo in his arms. Spinning her around, as if dancing, Logan dipped her and his lips met hers, kissing her deeply.

Yes, Ororo thought, wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. Time stood still for the couple as they embraced. Though it was just a kiss, for them it meant so much more. It was the asking for and the giving of forgiveness for the events of the past, the acceptance of the events of the present, and a commitment to making the best of the future, each new day better than the one before. Regardless of the trials they are sure to come.

Experiencing a life filled with mystery and denial, Logan had become accustomed to keeping his feelings to himself. But with Ororo, he felt a comfort that he had never encountered and the ability of expressing his feelings openly had become like an aphrodisiac to him. And that feeling was something he didn’t want to lose anytime soon. So he made a vow to himself to do whatever it took to make sure to keep the relationship as fresh and happy as it was at that very moment.

“Ahem,” Gambit said as he and Rogue entered the infirmary, trying to get the pair’s attention.

They parted slowly, not wanting the moment to end. Helping to right her, Logan didn’t look away from Ororo until he was sure she was steady on her feet.

Wow, Rogue thought as a tear fell from her eye she watched them, their raw emotion thick and electric, embracing all in the room.

“Ah see why you were in such a hurry to get home, chere,” Gambit said smiling, holding Rogue’s gloved hand as they neared the pair.

“Home is where the heart is,” Ororo replied simply smiling at Logan, gently squeezing his hand in hers.

“I agree,” Rogue said, looking up into Gambit’s face, a smile on her face, love in her eyes. I love you, her eyes told him and he responded with a quick kiss on her hair.

“Before we succumb to all the love in the room, we wanted to ask ya’ll if ya’ll would join us for dinner tonight?” Rogue asked.

“Will you be up to it?” Ororo asked Logan.

“Yeah, wouldn’t miss it for the world. But I need to check with the Furball to make sure he’s okay with it,” he replied, straightening the hospital scrubs he wore, “So what time are we leaving?”

“Well, the reservations are for 9 and it will take about 45 minutes to get to the restaurant, so let’s meet in the garage at 8,” Gambit said looking at his watch, “So that means you ladies have little more than an hour to get ready.”

“So is this a dressy or casual occasion?” Ororo asked.

“Dress to kill dressy,” Gambit replied remembering Ororo’s dress from the last time they all went out.

“Okay, I think I pull something together,” Ororo replied turning to face Logan, “See you in a little while?”

“Absolutely,” he replied kissing her again, getting lost in the feel of her lips against his.

“Stormie, you only have an hour to get ready,” Gambit reminded her, forcing her to smile, breaking the kiss.

“Do you have to call me by that awful name?” she asked as she left Logan’s side, headed toward the door.

“Oui,” Gambit said smirking, as she walked past, shaking her head. Smiling, Rogue fell in step with her and they headed to their rooms, talking about what to wear.

“So you got her back huh?” Gambit asked Logan after the doors had slid close behind the ladies.

“Yeah, it looks that way,” Logan said, knowing what Gambit was going to say, “And no, Cajun, you won’t need to have another one of your “talks” with me because I don’t plan to do anything to hurt her.”

“If I’m not mistaken, mon ami, you said the same thing last time,” Gambit said, taking a seat and motioning for Logan to do the same, “What’s so different this time?”

“Because this time around, I know what I want and I’m not going to make same mistake I made before,” Logan said, taking a seat on the bed, knowing he didn’t have to explain himself to Gambit. But since Ro and him so close, I need to make amends so that his relationship with da Cajun don’t stand in the way of me and Ro being happy together, Logan thought, returning Gambit’s gaze.

“Just checking,” Gambit said before pulling out the black case that contained Rogue’s ring, handing it over to Logan, “Now that that’s settled, I have a favor to ask you.”

Taking the box, Logan opens it and gazes in at Rogue’s ring. He looks up at Gambit, a smile spreading across his face. “So you decided to go ahead and do it huh?” he asked, closing the box and trying to hand it back to Gambit.

Shaking his head no, Gambit responded smiling, “Oui, but that’s the favor, mon ami. I need you to hold onto it until we get to the restaurant. Gambit don trust himself with it. I almost give it to Rogue three times already. So you hold it for Gambit?”

“Yeah, I got you,” Logan said standing and holding out his hand for Gambit to take.

“I was hoping ya would,” Gambit said, taking his friend’s hand and shaking it before Gambit left, headed to the elevators, as Logan went in search of Hank.

“Logan, what are you doing out of bed?” Hank asked, lifting his glasses from his tired eyes, looking up from the manual he was studying.

“I came to see if I was free to go. I have some plans to go out on the town with a beautiful goddess and a few friends but I wanted to check to make sure it was okay with you first.”

“Ororo would not let you go until you got my okay?” Hank asked, a smile creasing his face.

“Yeah, something like that. So what do you say, doc?”

“As much as I would rather you stay another night in the infirmary and get more rest, all your tests showed that everything is working as it should, sooooo,” Hank said, drawing out the suspense, “I guess it would be okay for you to go out tonight. What’s the occasion?”

“The beginning of some beautiful relationships,” Logan said cryptically before heading out and making his way to the boat house to get ready.

* ~ * ~* ~ * ~* ~ * ~* ~ * ~* ~ * ~*

“Do you have it?” Gambit asked Logan as he walked toward him after they had excused themselves from the table. Gambit tugged at the collar of his tuxedo jacket, trying to get some air.

“Yes,” Logan replied handing Gambit the small black box, from his pocket. “Nervous?” he asked as he noticed his friend’s movements and the look on his face.

“More than any other time in my life,” Gambit replied looking down at the ring. After a minute, Gambit nodded to Logan who signaled the waiter. As the waiter approached, Gambit took a deep breath, realizing that there was no turning back now.

“Mine if I take a look, sir?” the waiter asked as Gambit passed the box to him.

“No, not at all,” Logan spoke up when Gambit didn’t. The waiter’s eyes lit up at the sight of the ring. “I’m sure she is going to love it. It matches her eyes,” he said before nodding and heading to the kitchen.

“Okay, Cajun, its time,” Logan said, glancing at his watch, “The ladies probably think we fell in.”

“Yeah, I guess so,” Gambit said taking a step toward the table but stopping again.

“I wanted to apologize for our “talk”. Stormie means a lot to me and when she hurts, I hurt, and I don’t deal with being hurt,” Gambit started, happy to have something to distract him.

“Cajun, I know why ya did what ya did. I would have done the same. But,” Logan interrupted him, “that’s a conversation for later. Right now, we have to get back to the table so you can ask a beautiful woman to marry you, okay?”

“Okay. Thanks, mon ami.”

Logan nodded his response and guided Gambit toward the table. Ororo and Rogue, both dressed in elegant gowns looked up as the men made their way back to the table.

“Ah was fixin to send a search party to find ya’ll. What took so long?” Rogue said, smiling as Gambit and Logan took their seats.

“It was a line,” Gambit lied easily motioning for the waiter.

“You still hungry, sugah?” Rogue asked, watching their waiter approach the table, carrying a covered tray.

“No, chere, just in love,” Gambit said, sliding from his chair to one knee.

Not understanding, Rogue turned back to Gambit and was surprised to see him on the floor.

“Remy?” she asked, looking from him to the waiter who stood next to them.

“Chere, since you come in Gambit’s life, you made my world complete. You showed Gambit what life is and what it could be. Even though we had our bad times, Ah can say that the good times out weigh the bad. I have loved you since I first laid eyes on you and can’t imagine life without you. I know what you most desire is a simple normal life filled with love and maybe even children. If ya will let me, mon amour, I want to make all your desires, big and small, come true. All you have to do is say the word,” he said just as the waiter lifted the silver cover revealing the awe inspiring, shimmering green ring.

Rogue’s tearful gaze left Gambit’s smiling face to look at the ring. Unable to speak, she wiped her eyes with the back of her right hand as Gambit slipped the ring on her gloved finger and looked up at her expectedly.

“Rogue, say something,” Ororo whispered, touching the corners of her eyes with the napkin, catching her tears before they ruined her makeup.

Rogue, hearing Ororo’s voice, broke out of her trance and smiled lovingly at Gambit and whispered, “Yes.”

Gambit yelped with glee and stood, embracing his stunned fiancé, kissing her quickly on the lips, as the other dinners and wait staff, applauded. After everyone had gone back to their dinners after congratulating the happy couple, the party decided it was time to call it a night.

“Ah’m still in shock,” Rogue said, gazing down at her ring, as she and Ororo waited while their dates retrieve their items from the coat check.

“I can’t believe it either. It was quite a surprise, huh?” Ororo asked, “Didn’t know Gambit had it in him.”

“Ah mean, we had talked about it but it didn’t seem like something he wanted to do so ah decided not to bring it up anymore. He sure did pull a fast one,” she said shaking her head, smiling at the memory of his proposal.

“So you like the ring?” Ororo asked looking around, wondering what was taking the guys so long. Because I’m ready to get out of these shoes, she thought, wondering if the dress would be long enough to hide her bare feet.

“Ah love it. He did a great job picking it out,” Rogue said, her happiness shining through.

“Glad you like it, chere,” Gambit said coming up behind her, putting her wrap on her shoulders.

“You Swamp Rat, don’t sneak on people like that,” she scolded him gently, holding her hand over her heart, the ring shimmering in the light.

“Aw, the language of love,” Gambit said smirking, making the others smile.

“Okay Rogue, put that thing away before you blind someone,” Logan said, making everyone laugh, as he placed Ororo’s wrap across her shoulders.

“Sorry, Ah’m still getting use to it,” she said shyly, tucking her ring in the fold of her wrap as they made their way to the car.

“Well, I suggest you get use to it quickly, because when we get back to the mansion, everyone is going to ask you about it and will want to see it,” Ororo said, before getting in the car and sliding over to make room for Logan.

When the two couples arrived back at the mansion, everyone but Gambit was ready to turn in for the night. “Let’s go the Entertainment Room for one last toast,” Gambit suggested as he and Logan helped the ladies out of the car, “And Gambit won’t take no for an answer.”

“I guess since you put it that way,” Ororo said as she stepped out of the car, sighing when her bare foot met the cool cement. “I guess a few more minutes won’t hurt,” she said, looking at Logan and getting a nod.

Gambit, with Rogue on his arm led the way through semi-lit foyer and slid the doors of the Entertainment Room open. Stepping in, he flicked on the lights, and the kids and their other teammates jumped out of their hiding places, yelling “Surprise” in unison.

“Gambit, ya sneaky devil,” Rogue said before the girls ran over to her and pulled her away toward the Professor so that they could get a look at the ring.

“Well, what can I say? Gambit wanted Rogue to have ah night to remember,” he yelled over to her as he, Ororo, and Logan stood watching as everyone crowded around Rogue to see the ring.

“I’m sure she won’t,” Ororo said, covering her yawn with her hand, “but if you don’t mind Gambit, its past my bed time and I have an early day tomorrow.”

“Thanks Stormie. I couldn’t have done it without you,” Gambit said, before leaning over and kissing her cheek.

“And don’t you forget it,” she replied, returning the kiss, “You did good Remy. Enjoy the rest of your night.”

“Shall we?” Logan asked, holding out his arm for her to take.

“We shall,” Ororo replied, taking his arm, “Good night. Tell Rogue I’ll see her in the morning.”

“Will do,” Gambit said before making his way over to the crowd.

“What a day,” Logan said as they made their way to the elevator.

“Yes, it was one for the memory books,” Ororo said, holding her purse and shoes in one hand and Logan’s in the other, as they waited for the elevator doors to open, “I’m just glad it worked out as well as it did.”

“Yeah, me too. Didn’t think the Cajun had it in him,” Logan said.

“I think that what happened at the dam affected everyone in one way or another,” Ororo said,

“Yeah, I’m just happy for a second chance,” Logan said, as they stepped off the elevator and walked down the hall to Ororo’s room.

“A second chance?” Ororo asked, as she pulled her keys from her purse and unlocked the door.

“Yeah, a second chance at life and love,” Logan replied, pulling her toward him and kissing her deeply. I just can’t get enough of this woman, he thought as he caressed her back.

“Would you like to come in?” Ororo asked breathlessly after they came up for air.

“You sure?” Logan asked, not believing the invitation.

“Yes. Can you think of a better way to end a beautiful night than to be wrapped in each others arms?” Ororo asked slyly, holding the door open, a seductive smile on her lips as she waited for Logan to make his decision.

“Well, since you put it that way,” he said before stepping in and closing the door behind him, securing the lock.





You must login () to review.