Chap 17: A Loss, A Gain


“Hey Logan, wait up,” Gambit called to his friend as he jogged to catch up. Logan was headed to his boat house after having an early morning breakfast with Ororo.

“I see someone didn’t go home last night,” Gambit remarked, noticing the jacket draped on Logan’s arm.

“It wasn’t like that Cajun. Something you want?” Logan asked, squashing Gambit’s naughty thoughts and trying to get to the point quickly so that he could get home and change in time to watch the kids’ training sessions.

“Yeah, sure Logan. Remember who ya talkin’ too, mon ami,” Gambit said, not giving in so easily.

“Cajun,” Logan growled warningly, “What do you want?”

“Okay, Okay. Can ya blame Gambit for wanting his friends to experience de same ting Gambit enjoyin’?” Gambit asked, only getting a scowl in response.

Looking around to make sure they were alone, Gambit reached in his pocket and pulled out another black box and handed it Logan.

“Ah meant to give ya this earlier but Gambit think now be de time,” Gambit said, as Logan opened the box to find the intricate engraved ring with brilliant blue stone.

“What? Why?” Logan stammered, his mind racing, trying to figure out why Gambit would give him a ring.

“The shopkeep at the store where me and Stormie got Rogue’s ring gave me this to give her,” Gambit started and went on to tell Logan the story as they made their way to the boat house, “So before Ah got Rogue’s ring, he tole me that he really wanted Stormie to have it and he felt it really belonged to her. So he gave it to me but ah had to promise him somethin’.”

“And that was?” Logan asked as he unlocked the door and stepped inside, not sure if he believed the story.

“That de person who gives de ring to Stormie gives it with a deep love and affection for her, since it was created with the sole purpose as being a token of deep admiration from de people she helped over in Africa.”

“So you are telling that this ring was created by a shaman for ‘Ro when she lived in Africa and the guy at the store somehow got his hands on it and ‘Ro just happened to go into his store one day and he has been trying to get it into her hands ever since?” Logan asked, trying to make sure he got the full story.

“Hard to believe, huh?”

“Yeah, but with Ororo, anything is possible,” Logan replied, taking a seat and examining the ring, tracing the engraving with his finger.

“True. So me thought de best person to give de ring back to Stormie would de Wolverine,” he said, taking a seat in a chair opposite the one Logan occupied.

“I’m not sure about this Remy,” Logan said, remembering his broken promise, “What if I mess it up again?”

“Logan, you love Stormie?” Gambit asked seriously.

“Yeah, more than I ever thought I could love someone,” Logan replied honestly, closing the ring case.

“And Stormie, she feels de same way. Gambit done know if she told you, but she took what happened at the dam real hard. So much that she broke it off with Forge so that she could follow her heart,” Gambit told him, “These events not coincidences. They signs letting you know that dis yo second chance and ya have to make de best of it because there taint no more chances. De day at the dam showed all of us that. Life be short, even shorter for mutants like us, so we got to make de best of it.”

Gambit paused, feeling light-headed, as if someone else had stepped into his body and was speaking through him. “So heed the signs, mon ami, because there be no more chances,” Gambit said, standing and with a nod to Logan, left the boat house, headed back to the mansion.

Wow, Logan thought, as he opened the black box again and looked at the ring, seeing the engravings. The more he thought about it, the more things made sense. Somehow he knew that things were happening as they were suppose to but below that was another feeling. Though things are going as they should, there was something else. What, Logan thought as he set the ring down and headed to the shower, he didn’t know. What he did know was that he would fulfill Gambit’s promise to the shopkeep and give ‘Ro the ring, as a symbol of love and commitment.

Now I just have to figure out how, Logan thought, closing the door and letting the stream engulf him.

On his way back to the mansion, Logan ran his hand through his wet hair, racking his brain on how to present the ring to ‘Ro. Be yourself. Speak from your heart, a small voice in his head said, immediately calming his frazzled nerves.

Deep in thought, Logan heard Ororo’s voice. Thinking that he had heard her voice in his head, Logan ignored it and continued the mental debate that raged on. When he heard it again, he knew that it wasn’t in his mind and he stopped and waited, waiting for it to come again. When it did, it was angry and accompanied by Forge’s angry voice. Growling, Logan followed the sound. The sound grew louder as he approached the clearing. Noiselessly, he made his way over to a tree at the edge of the clearing where they stood. Hidden, Logan could see Ororo, her arms crossed in front of her watching Forge as he paced, motioning angrily with his arms.

“I still can not believe you, Ororo. Not a day after you break up with me, you’re fawning over him. How dare you treat what we had with such disrespect?” Logan heard Forge saying, “How could you love that savage beast?”

Growling unconsciously, Logan wished he could have lashed out at Forge for his comment but he knew that wouldn’t help his chances with ‘Ro. One day, Logan vowed, his growl dying in the back of his throat as he fought to control his anger.

Sighing, Ororo was really tired of having this conversation with Forge. She knew that it has ceased being about her breaking up with him a long time ago. Now the issue was that he couldn’t deal with her dumping him for Logan because of his bruised ego. Forge, though seemingly down to earth and very easy going, didn’t take rejection very well.

“Okay,” Ororo said, interrupting Forge’s continuous tirade, “This is the last and final time that I am going to say this.”

Stepping into his path, Ororo forced him to stop pacing and made him look her in the eyes. “I loved you, Forge. The love you shared with me healed my heart enough to try to love again. I am very thankful that you were there to help me through a very trying time in my life. But I need you to understand something. What happened at the dam reminded many of us, especially me, that life is short and I need to make the best of the time I have. I know that sometimes we mutants fool ourselves into believing that we are immortals but we’re not…we’re still human. So when I thought about my life and how I was living it, I knew I had to make a change because I was living a lie. As much as I was enjoying it,” Ororo said, touching the side of Forge’s face, “it was still a lie. I still love you Forge, and you will forever hold a special place in my heart but I gave my heart to Logan a long time ago. Regardless of what happened in the past or what the future holds, I have to be true to my heart and true to myself. And in order to do that, I had to let you go and give you an opportunity to find the love that you sought and deserve - a love that I was not and am not able to give you. So Forge, I know that this is very painful and I am sorry for putting you through this but please try to understand why I needed take the actions I did.”

Ororo, looking deep into his eyes, could see that she had finally reached him as his eyes shined with tears. The Forge she grew to love had replaced the angry and hateful person she had been arguing with for the past few days. Thank the Goddess, she thought, knowing that if she had to have this same conversation with him that she wouldn’t be civil.

He turned away from her, his head tilted to the sky. After a few minutes, he rubbed his eyes and turned to face her again. “You know the most interesting thing about this whole situation is that I knew it was coming. I knew deep down in my heart that you still loved Logan but I tried my best to do all that I could to make you love me the same way. More even. But what I was really doing was fooling myself into believing that I could make you feel the same. I was being selfish because I wanted to be with you, even if you didn’t want to be with me,” Forge told her taking her hands in his, “And it is I who owe you an apology. I have been a real jackass these past few days so much so that I am mad with myself but you know what they say…”

“You do strange things when you’re in love,” they said in unison, sharing their favorite phrase and laughing together. I’m going to miss this, Forge thought, enjoying the moment, sensing that this would be the last time he would get to see Ororo like this, so peaceful and open.

The pair, still holding hands, sat on the cement bench and enjoyed the peaceful, tranquility of the garden and their renewed friendship. Logan, sensing that everything was right between them, started back to mansion. Previously a scene like that would have sent him into a jealous rage but knowing ‘Ro like he did, he didn’t have to worry because he knew she was his. Wow, he thought, taking the stairs leading to the door two at a time, ‘Ro have really calmed me down. Smiling, Logan decided that the kids could go another day without him and headed to the kitchen for a cup of joe. Now how am I going to do this, he thought, as he took a seat on the balcony, looking out over the grounds, his mind preoccupied with preparing for one of the most important assignments of his life “ presenting a ring to the woman he planned to spend the rest of his life with.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After a few minutes, Ororo leaned over and kissed Forge on the cheek. “Thank you for all you have done for me. You will always be special to me, my friend.” Standing, Ororo pulled Forge up with her and gave him a hug. Feeling she had said all she needed to say, with a wave, Ororo turned and headed back to the mansion, on her way to meet with Cyclops.

Though things between him and Ororo were on good terms, Forge wasn’t ready to face the questioning eyes of Hank nor did he feel like rehashing the details of their latest conversation. So he decided to take some time for himself so that he can wallow in his grief and to come to terms with his lost love.

The lake, being one of his favorite places on the property, was his destination as he exited the gardens and took the path that lead to the woods. Sighing dejectedly, Forge sat on the log where he and Ororo had spent a great deal of time talking and sharing. I pray that he will treat her right this time around, Forge thought and sent up a prayer to the Gods for his friend. Just as he finished, his personal communicator sounded.

“Forge,” he answered.

“Forge, old friend. It’s been a very long time since we last talked. We should stay in touch more often,” the other person said, looking out of the window of his office at the soldiers as they went through their drills.

“Gyrich,” Forge said coldly, quickly recognizing the voice, “How did you get this number?”

“Forge, Forge, you underestimate my power of persuasion. I got it from one of your former assistants who was more than happy to part with the information.”

“Okay so you got the number. What the hell do you want with me?” he asked angrily.

“Why, to let you know what a great product you created,” Gyrich responded, sitting in his chair and facing his desk.

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about the hell I’m about to unleashed on your kind, mutant,” Gyrich spat out, tired of the little game, “What would you say if I told you that I have in my possession one of your, in my opinion, most noteworthy inventions.”

“And which one would that be?”

“Why your neutralizer of course,” Gyrich said smiling as he held the invention in his hands, “And with it, I will become known as the man who solved the mutant problem.”

Oh no, Forge thought, instantly feeling sick. If Gyrich had the weapon, there was no doubt in his mind that he would use it. “What do you want from me?” Forge asked.

“Oh not much. I called to thank you for making my job that much easier and to make a simple request,” Gyrich told him, placing the original invention on his desk and picking up a smaller, compact version outfitted on a standard issue rifle, “Stay the hell out of my way.” Hanging up, Gyrich leaned back in his chair and smiled, knowing that his plan was under way.

“Dammit,” Forge yelled, knowing that life as he knew it would forever be changed. I just hope that I’m not too late, he thought as he raced back to the mansion, hoping that Professor X was in his office.

“Professor,” Forge said, knocking on the door and entering at the same time. Luckily for Forge, the Professor had just finished a class and was waiting for the students to arrive for the next one.
“Xavier, we have a problem.”

Professor Xavier, sitting at his desk with his hands folded, looked at Forge and mentally asked to probe his thoughts. Forge, nodding yes, read Xavier’s face as he uncovered the conversation Forge had had with Gyrich. Now, Forge thought, still connected to Xavier, we just have to figure out a solution.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Hey Scott,” Ororo greeted him with a smile as she stepped out on the patio.

“Hey yourself. You like you’re in a good mood,” Scott replied, standing as she made her way over to the bench where he sat.

“What can I say, it has been a pretty good morning,” she replied smiling, “You wanted to talk about the training sessions?”

I guess it right to business then, Scott thought sadly, remembering how he and Ororo would usually chitchat before tackling business. I guess things really have changed.

“Well, I have been thinking about the sessions and thought that it would best if we started them again officially since Logan is getting better. When I talked to Hank about it, he felt that Logan needed more time before he resumed his regular activities. Obviously, you would be next choice to lead the classes but since you are still recovering from the injury to your ankle, I thought I would lead the classes,” Scott told her, waiting for her reaction.

“Okay, I can’t argue with that logic but for how long?” Ororo asked simply, knowing that Logan and the others would be disappointed because they really enjoyed being lead by Logan.

“When Hank gives Logan the okay to resume his training regime, I will turn the reins back over to him,” he said, prepared for the question.

“Sounds fair. So when will the classes begin again?”

“In a few days. I wanted to get a chance to get caught up about the status of everyone’s training from you and Logan.”

“Sounds good. When do you want to meet?”

“How about tomorrow? We all can meet around 9am to talk.”

“Sounds good. Anything else?” Ororo asked checking her watch to see how much time she had before her Danger Room session with Gambit.

“Yes, there’s one more thing,” Scott said, standing, “Ororo, I just wanted to apologize for the way I’ve been acting these past few months. I was being a total asshole and truly deserved what I got at the party. So I hope that we can get past this and become friends again.”

What is this, apologize-to-Ororo day, Ororo thought smiling, as she stood and held out her hand to Scott which he took. “I accept your apology but I need to apologize for my own behavior. I was out of line and it was a bad example for the rest of the team so I hope that you will also accept mine.”

“Accepted,” he said, smiling for the first time since their meeting began and shaking Ororo’s hand heartily, “Friends?”

“Friends,” Ororo said, “So if there is nothing else, I have a Danger Room session to prepare for.”

“Yeah, that’s it. Who you with?”

“Gambit,” Ororo said as they fell in step as they made their way back into the mansion.

“Good luck. He’s been on cloud nine every since the announcement. I think he may be too caught in love.”

“Not true, mon amoi,” Gambit said coming up behind them, startling them, “Gambit just have ah better appreciation for life is all. Excusez-moi.” Gambit walked around them headed to the elevator.

“See ya in de Danger Room, chere” he told Ororo as he stepped into the elevator.

“Yes, in a few,” she called to him as the doors of the elevators slid close, “Never know where he’s going to be, huh?” Ororo asked Scott, who shook his head.

“Nope. See ya later,” Scott replied with a wave, headed toward the kitchen in search of Jean.

Headed to her room to change, Ororo wondered if Logan would be there. And why would he be there, she asked herself, laughing at the thought. Maybe he missed me as much as I miss him, her other voice responded. Shaking her head at her debating voices, she smiled bright when she stepped in her room, and saw Logan leaning on the banister, a cigar in hand. When you are a favored by the Goddesses, she thought, feeling that the Goddesses were working overtime in blessing her as she closed the door behind her.

“Missed me?” Ororo asked stepping out on the balcony, her arms wrapping around Logan’s torso.

“More than you will ever know,” Logan told her, taking one of her hands and kissing it, enjoying the feel of Ororo’s body next to his. It had been a long, uncomfortable night for him since Ororo didn’t want to make love. But there will be time for that after we’re married, Logan thought, thinking of the ring in his pocket. Covering her other hand with his, Logan pulled it to his lips, kissing it before opening her arms wide enough so that he could turn and return the embrace. After the embrace ended, Logan took her in his arms, cradling her.

“Logan, I can walk you know,” Ororo teased him as he carried her over to the bed.

“I know but I wanted to relive a moment, remember?” he asked referring to the time when he carried her back to the mansion after she had sprained her ankle.

“Okay but you know, it seems that I have some of my biggest mishaps whenever you’re nearby,” she said smiling, as he sat her down on the bed, “What does that tell you?”

“That I’m your guardian angel.”

“Or my bad luck charm,” she said, laughing at the hurt look on his face, before getting serious, “But I like your response better.”

Grazing up at him, Ororo was overcomed with the need to have him closer. Responding, she pulled Logan down on top of her, their lips meeting in a deep kiss. When it ended, Logan struggled with control, his desire expressing its urgency. Think of something else, Logan thought closing his eyes, willing his need to abate enough for him to do what he had to do.

Opening his eyes, his gaze met Ororo’s questioning one. Kissing her again, Logan slid down her body until he was on the floor, on one knee. Ororo still high from the kiss didn’t realize what he was doing.

“Ororo Munroe,” Logan said, knowing that she would sit up when he said her whole name.

“Logan, what,” she started but couldn’t finished when she saw him down on one knee with the black box in his hand.

“‘Ro, you have touched my heart in ways I never thought possible for someone like me. In knowing you, I have come to know love in the purest and truest sense. When we were apart, I felt incomplete because the best part of me was away from me. Now that we are together again, I never want to be without you and it is my goal to spend the rest of my life showing you how much you mean to me. Ororo,” Logan said, opening the black box, displaying the sacred ring, “will you be my wife?”

Ororo gasped at the sight of the ring, knowing that it was only by the grace of the Goddess that it had appeared in her life again. Familiar in signs and knowing the importance of heeding them, Ororo knew at that very moment that her heart hadn’t steered her wrong and that Logan was truly the one she was to be with. Overcome with emotion and pure joy, tears started a wet trail down Ororo’s face. Logan not sure what to think, become worried when he saw the tears.

Smiling through her tears, Ororo finally spoke, “It will be an honor to be your wife,” she told him before he yelled triumphantly, taking her in his arms and kissing her. When the kiss ended, he swung her around, happier than he ever had been in his life.

“This calls for another celebration,” he said as sitting on the bed just as the alarm sounded, signaling that they were needed in the War Room.

“Damn,” Logan said angrily.

“A celebration is in order, my love,” Ororo said smiling as she stood, “but it will have to wait. Duty calls. We should go.” Taking the ring from her future husband, Ororo put it in her nightstand and locked it away with her journal, not wanting to take a chance on damaging it.

Logan, seeing her movements, was about to protest when she explained, “I don’t want to tempt fate since things have been on our side so far. And besides,” she said, ushering him out the door, “it would only be a distraction for the Team if they found out right now.” Nodding his head in agreement, Logan and Ororo made their way to the War Room, not knowing that their favor from the Goddess may have run out.





You must login () to review.