Chap 18: Sacrifice


Ororo and Logan were the last to arrive. The others were seated around the conference table in their usual seats. Taking theirs, Ororo and Logan, like the others, waited patiently for the Professor to speak.

“Thank you for assembling so quickly. A few minutes ago, something that I hoped was just a rumor was confirmed,” the Professor began, looking around the table at his team, a weary look on his face.

“What is it Professor?” Scott asked, sitting on the edge of his seat.

Looking over at Scott, the Professor could feel the Team’s anxiousness and concern. Sighing, the Professor knew that he had kept his secret long enough.

“There is a device that can change the genetic makeup of mutants, making them human,” he told them, hearing the gasps from around the table.

Though most of the team looked shocked at the announcement, Forge noticed that there were at least who seemed intrigued - Nightcrawler and surprisingly Rogue, Gambit’s fiancé.

The Professor looked around the room, watching his students for their reactions. Some shocked, some shaking their heads in disbelief, some defiant, but yet there were some who seemed relieved. Xavier sat silently and knew that once the information sunk in, the questions would come.

“How can that be, Professor?”

“Is it reversible?”

“Is it painful?

“Who has it?”

“Everyone please,” the Professor said, raising his hand to silence them, “One at a time.”

“How long have you known about this, Professor?” Ororo asked, her voice rising breaking the silence.

“I’ve known for some time now. It was because of that knowledge that I requested an additional hand to hand combat training regime so that we will be prepared for whatever is thrown at us,” Xavier told her, a weary look on his face.

“You knew about it but didn’t tell us? Why, Chuck?” Logan asked angrily.

“I decided that I would spare the team the stress of worrying about something if it wasn’t true. I wanted to make you aware of it only when it was a real danger and that’s why I called you together today. I’m not sure if it is reversible, but what I do know is it is in the possession of an anti-mutant group who has every intention of using it on mutants around the world,” he told his attentive audience, feeling that now was not a good time to share Forge’s role in the situation.

“In the right hands, this weapon can help thousands of mutants like the Morlocks in allowing them to live normal lives if they choose too. But in the wrongs hands,” the Professor said, pausing and looking at the faces of his students, “we all are in danger. So it is our job, my X-Men, to give mutants the opportunity to decide. We need to relieve this group of that weapon.”

“So, if this weapon takes away our powers, how are we supposed to fight them when they can shoot us once and we will be down for the count?” Bobby asked, voicing the concern of many of his teammates.

“I’m not sure how much good it will do but there is a device that can detect the weapon’s unique signature,” Forge told them getting up and going to stand next to the Professor, waiting for the question he was sure would follow.

“And you know this because?” Cyclops asked.

Taking a deep breath, Forge replied, “I created it.”

The room erupted in angry mumblings and shocked gasps. Forge watched as Xavier and Cyclops tried to calm the Team down. I wonder what she thinks of me now, Forge thought, his eyes landing on the only person in the room whose opinion he cared about.

Storm, surprised by Forge’s admission, shook her head as she gazed back at him, thinking the same thing that the others thought “ what were you thinking?

“So what happened? You sold the weapon to the highest bidder and when things got out of hand, you came running to us for help?” Logan asked angrily.

“It wasn’t like that Logan,” Forge said, “But I can’t expect someone with your limited intelligence to understand what happened.”

Logan growled as he stood, ready to strike. Storm, knowing that the situation would only get worse, touched his arm. “Wolverine, please. This is not the time. We need to find out how the weapon got into the wrong hands and figure out a way to relieve them of it. Let’s save the fighting for the field, okay?” she asked, gazing at the side of his face waiting for him to look at her. When he did, he read the pleading in her eyes and decided she was right. Growling, Wolverine took his seat, reluctantly.

The power of love, Cyclops thought, impressed. His thoughts were shared by the others as they looked on amazed.

Never knew anyone could make him calm down that fast. Now I have seen everything, Dazzler thought, nudging Jubilee with her elbow, and getting a nod in response.

“Thanks, Storm,” Forge replied smiling genuinely.

“Don’t thank me yet, Forge,” Storm replied, gazing at him intently, “Before we begin the briefing, I think I speak from everyone in the room when I ask, why did you create the weapon?”

Wow, so this is what its like when you get on her bad side, Forge thought, as he returned her gaze. “I assure you that the invention was created with best intentions. I was thinking of all the mutants in the world who were tried of hiding, fighting, and living in fear because they were different. I wanted to create something that would give them the opportunity to choose between being a mutant or being a human.”

“But who would want to change? Being a mutant is coooolll,” Iceman said, blowing out cold burst of air.

“Speak for yourself,” Rogue replied irritably, drawing looks, including one from Gambit.

“I think what Rogue is trying to say is that for some of us, our mutation is a gift. But for others, their mutation is a curse, that prevents them for doing even the simplest of things,” Storm told the group, her gaze falling on Rogue who gave her a small smile.

“Ororo is right. And those were the people I had in mind when I created the weapon. I wish I had the forethought to keep it under a higher level of security which would have prevented Gyrich from stealing it from my lab in New Mexico. That measure would have saved the lives of some good people,” Forge said sadly, thinking of the staff members who lost their lives.

“How you know he de one got it?” Gambit asked, trying to keep his thoughts on the mission and not Rogue’s comment.

“He called me,” Forge began, as some of the Team members groaned, “Now, I know it sounds like a setup but there’s really no way around it. If Gyrich has the neutralizer and I know he does, then there is no doubt that he will use it. That’s why this mission is so important. The X-Men are the only Team I have encountered who have the ability and the wherewithal to either retrieve the weapon or destroy it completely.”

After a few thoughtful moments, Cyclops spoke. “Okay, so what’s the plan? Do we have intel on the base?”

“Yes,” Forge began as he pulled up the information he had gathered on Gyrich’s base on the monitors around the room. For the next fifteen minutes, Forge went over what he had gathered. The team discussed their assignments and Forge gave everyone a detector to let them know when a weapon was near.

“Alright, Team. Everyone knows what to do. Let’s get ready,” Cyclops told them and everyone started filling out, heading to the lockers.

“Oro…Storm, can I speak with you for a moment?” Forge called out to her as she and Wolverine followed the others. Looking back, Storm nodded and turned to Wolverine and whispered something in his ear. Forge watched as his angry scowl melted to the gentle smile as Storm kissed his cheek. As she walked back toward him, he tried very hard to read her expression but was unable to.

“I just wanted to say thanks helping with Logan during the meeting.”

“It wasn’t for you. I didn’t want a tiff between you and Wolverine to delay the mission,” Storm told him.

“Right,” Forge said, feeling her detachment.

Seeing his facial expression, Storm sighed. “I did not mean it that way.”

“I know. I’m just a little sensitive right now. I think the team hates me.”

“I don’t think they hate you. They just realize that this is a very dangerous mission, one where there is a lot at stake. That’s a lot to swallow in the matter of minutes, don’t you think?” Storm asked rhetorically as she smiled a sad smile before heading to the locker rooms to change.

Yeah, I know. But I hope that our worst fears don’t come to pass, Forge thought as he headed to the locker rooms.

I can’t fucking believe this, Logan thought as he finished dressing and headed to the hangar, passing Hank, Gambit, and Scott. Me and ‘Ro should be celebrating our engagement but instead, we’re going out on a fucking mission all because that damn Forge couldn’t keep his damn invention safe. Great fucking timing, Wolverine thought as he walked into the hangar and stood waiting for Ororo, his anger written on his face. The other males, hearing Wolverine’s mumblings and sensing his mood, knew to stay out of his way. Though he was mad about the timing, Wolverine had a bad feeling about the mission.

“Beast,” Storm called, stepping out to the locker room.

“Yes, Goddess,” he replied, teasing her.

“Would you take the controls with Cyclops?” Storm asked, smiling.

“It will be my pleasure, your highness,” he replied before bowing and making his way to the Blackbird.

“You’re not funny, Hank,” Storm called after him and getting a wave in response before he board the plane.

Her banter with Beast did little to ease the nagging feeling she had about the mission.

“Hey,” she said as she walked over to Wolverine, “You sure you’re up for this?”

“I’m good,” Wolverine replied, touched by ‘Ro’s concern, “You know can’t nothing keep me down for long.”

“Yes, but you still need rest,” Storm said, allowing her concern for Logan’s well being to overshadow her feeling of dread.

“Besides,” he continued, lowering his voice, as they made their way to the Blackbird, “I’m not about to let me fiancé go on a mission without me. I need to be there to protect ya.”

Storm looked at Wolverine with an amused smile on her face and shook her head. Men always have this need to protect, she thought. “I see we have so much to talk about,” Storm whispered back as she pressed the button to close and lock the loading platform.

Taking her seat, Storm couldn’t help but notice how quiet everyone was. Usually, the Team would talk as they traveled to their destination. But today, it seemed that the seriousness of the mission had left everyone in contemplative silence, each deep in their own thoughts. Leaning back in her chair, she longed for the closeness of Logan but knew that in order for her to get her head in the game as the kids say, she had to stay focused.

Feeling like she was being watched, Ororo looked up and her eyes met Logan’s, easily reading the concern on his face with a trace of anger. Understanding the question in them “ was she okay? “ she nodded and gave a small smile in response. But honestly, she wasn’t okay. She felt something terrible was going to happen during the mission. Though plagued by this bad feeling, she knows she has to suppress it because the Team needs everyone to be level-headed if they are to accomplish their goal, regardless of her feeling. So Ororo did what she always did before mission, she prayed for the safety of her team.

Logan sat opposite Ororo. Though he craved to be near her, he knew that she wouldn’t want their closeness to be a distraction for them or the Team so he kept his distance. And that, in addition to not being able to celebrate their engagement, left Logan in a very foul mood.

“Get ready, Team,” Cyclops announced switching the Blackbird into stealth mode, making it invisible. Engaging auto pilot, Cyclops and Beast joined the rest of the team as they surveyed the area on the monitors and went over the plan again to make sure everyone knew what to do.

“Storm, you and your team gain access to the plant and destroy any and all traces of the weapon. The rest of us will provide a diversion and keep the troops occupied so that you guys can get inside and complete the mission. Any questions?” Cyclops asked looking around table at the solemn faces, “Okay. Good luck everyone. Let’s make everything count so we can all go home just like we came.” Getting nods around, Cyclops nodded to Jean to lower the gate. “Good luck Team,” Cyclops said, as Storm’s team prepared to exit the Blackbird.

Right before she stepped out, Storm looked over at Wolverine and smiled, her eyes turning white. He returned her smile, saying, “See ya soon, darlin’.” She nodded and took to the skies.

Storm, hovering a few feet away, created a thick cloud of fog, providing cover for her teammates as they descended, using mini-copters similar to the one Forge used when he rescued Logan. On the ground, Storm waited for the others to collapse their copters. Storm and her team, Gambit, Forge, Beast, Shadowcat, Dazzler, and Jubilee, made their way to the back of the compound. Scanning the area, Forge pointed out the cameras which Gambit quickly took care of as the rest of the team waited for the signal from Cyclops’ team.

“Storm, go,” Cyclops yelled in his com-link, giving the team the signal. Forge pulled out his tool kit and made quick work of the fence. The team entered the building with little resistance.

Something’s not right, Storm thought, feeling that things were going too smoothly. Suppressing the thought, Storm signaled for the team to synchronize their watches. Once done, Forge and Beast nodded and made their way to the computer room just as Storm and the others headed to the assembly room. Storm nodded to Shadowcat, signaling for her to take a peak before they entered the room. Getting an okay sign, Storm looked over at Gambit who quickly picked locking mechanism, giving them access to the room.

Twenty minutes later, the assembly room lay in ruin as Storm and the others met up with Forge and Beast. Forge gave Storm the thumbs up sign, letting her know that their part had been completed. Storm nodded as they made their way to the front of the building. Leading the way, Beast stopped, sniffing the air.

“Troops,” Beast whispered.

“Armed troops,” Forge confirmed, showing the others his illuminated detector.

“Okay, here’s what we will do,” Storm whispered, motioning for the others to surround her. Knowing what to do, everyone took their places. “Now,” Storm whispered, spurring Shadowcat and Jubilee into action.

Blinded by Jubilee’s energy bursts, the troops started yelling as Storm released a series of lightning bolts, electrically charging the metal weapons. Dropping the weapons, the troops fled as Gambit released a barrage of charged cards, creating mini explosions near the troops’ feet.

“Now’s not the time,” Storm said, as some of the team erupted in giggles as the troop’s fled, “We need to go help the others.” Storm led the way, running toward the Cyclops and the others.

Rounding a corner, Storm and her team stopped in their tracks as they took in the scene. Jets flew over head and tanks and troops were advancing on the makeshift ice wall that stood between the rest of the X-Men and the army.

Logan, Storm thought, as she and others watched. Racking her brain for a quick solution, Storm looked around for anything that could be used as a weapon to help the others. Her gaze landed on two damaged trucks to the left of them.

“Gambit, are you up for some baseball?” Storm asked, nodding toward the trucks. Looking over, Gambit eyes lit up and he nodded, taking off toward the trucks. During one of their recent Danger Room sessions, Storm and Gambit came up with a strategy they called playing ball, where Gambit would charge objects for Storm who would send the charge objects crashing into the chosen targets.

I hope this works, Storm thought, instruction the others on what to do.

“Cyclops, backup has arrived. When I give you the signal, you guys take cover. We’re going to play a little baseball,” Storm said into her com-link, sharing a smile with Gambit, realizing that the others had no idea what she was talking about.

“Come again,” Cyclops yelled in the com-link as he took cover.

“No time to explain. Everyone, when I say ‘fire in the hole’, take cover. The cavalry is on its way!”

“Ready,” Gambit yelled, still touching the highly charged trucks.

“Okay,” Storm said, secured a rope tightly around her friend. “You guys ready?” she asked the others as they held the rope she tied around Gambit. Getting nods in response, she pressed the button on her com-link and yelled “Fire in the hole.” Calling up the winds, Storm directed the flying trucks to the center of the army. The trucks exploded on impact, creating a chaotic distraction. As the army attempted to reorganize, Storm’s team raced toward the others and took cover behind the ice wall with the others.

“Great plan, Team,” Cyclops greeted the rest of the team.

“Where’s Wolverine?” Storm asked, looking around for him.

“He got hurt in the first wave of troops. He said for us to keep going,” Cyclops told her. When Storm looked at him incredulously, as if to say you left him again, Jean spoke up. “He wouldn’t take no for an answer, Storm,” she told her friend, just as rocket hit the ice wall.

“Yo, we got to do something cause I can’t hold it much longer,” Iceman yelled, as he caught the falling pieces.

“You guys go. I will distract them,” Storm said about to take to the skies, when Gambit grabbed her arm.

“‘Chere, that a suicide mission,” Gambit said, holding tight to her arm, his eyes pleading, “Tain’t no way Gambit letting you go out deah to get yoself killed.”

“Can they kill a Goddess, my friend?” Storm asked jokingly, her hand covering his that held her arm, “Gambit, I have to do this. Did I ever stop you when you were about to do something I thought was dangerous?”

Gambit, as he listened to Ororo, thought about the many times where she had, against her will, let him go and do what he felt he had to do. And once it was done, she would always be there, no questions asked.

“Gambit, like you, I have to do this,” Storm told him, her eyes changing colors.

With a slight nod, Gambit released her arm and took her hand. “See ya later, ‘chere.”

Storm smiled her thanks and took to the skies.

“Remy, I can’t believe ya didn’t stop her. What, you got swamp grass for brains?” Rogue said in disbelief, taking off after Storm.

“Storm this is crazy!! There’s too many, sugah. We need to get out of here,” Rogue told her through her com-link as she took out two helicopters.

“I said I would distract them, Rogue. Get out of here and catch up with the rest of the team,” Storm told her, taking out one with a lightning bolt.

Storm finally understood what her dream was trying to tell her the moment she saw the ice wall and the chaos surrounding it. She knew that in order to save the mutants of the world, she would have to sacrifice herself so that they may have a choice. A tough choice to make but it had to happen this way, she thought as she took out another helicopter. She thanked the Goddess for the warning and was at peace with it. She knew what she had to do. In order to do that, she had to get Rogue to leave so that no one else would be in danger.

“I can’t leave ya out heah by yoself, Storm,” Rogue replied, dodging a rocket from one of the jets coming toward them.

“That wasn’t a request. It was an order. Now go,” Storm yelled as the sky darkened around her, emphasizing her statement. Rogue, sensing what Storm was about to do, heeded her command and flew back to the others.

Good as new, Wolverine thought, as he raced through the woods, following the scent of the Team. Going around a tree, Wolverine could see the others a few feet away, running toward him. When he got closer and saw that ‘Ro was not with them, he ran toward Gambit and reached him just as Rogue landed beside him.

“Rogue, where’s ‘Ro?” Wolverine asked as Rogue landed, catching her breath.

“She’s up there,” Rogue said, pointing toward the floating Goddess against a dark sky, lightning flying from her outstretched hands.

“You left her up there alone?” Wolverine asked incredulously looking back at them.

“She told me ta catch up with de team,” Rogue told them, leaning on Gambit for support, “As she tole me, it wasn’t ah request. She just as stubborn as you are.”

“Cajun, you let her go?”

“She said she it was sometin’ she had to do it, so ah let her go,” he said sadly, knowing that Wolverine wouldn’t understand. Looking over his shoulder at his friend, Gambit said a silent prayer for her as he turned and led Rogue away, leaving Wolverine looking toward the compound.

Hearing the jets overhead, he looked up and felt transported back into his dream. So it was prophetic, he thought as the rest of it played out in his mind. The image of Storm falling hit him like a ton of bricks and he took off running.

When he reached the clearing, he could see her getting ready to summon a hurricane to take out the rest of the army. “‘Ro,” Wolverine yelled as he took off running with all he had through the stormy conditions, seeing the glow of the gun as the person fired it, hitting Storm as she flew overhead. Determined not to let her hit the ground, Wolverine pushed his body, leaping into the air at the last minute, catching her and landing hard in the mud, rolling to a stop near the gunman’s feet.

“Well, well, well, what do we have here,” Gyrich said, aiming the gun at Wolverine as he cradled Storm, the sky above them returning to normal, “I get two for the price of one.” Wolverine, covering Storm with his body, waited for the searing pain he knew would come.

BAM. A single shot was fired. Wolverine, still crouching over Storm, waited for the pain to invade his body. When none came, he looked up and his cautious gaze fell on Forge who stood over Gyrich. Gyrich, struck by a bullet from Forge’s gun, lay in a pool of blood, his life slowly draining from his body.

“Get her out of here,” he yelled as he ducked and laid down cover fire as Wolverine gathered Storm in his arms and ran. Pulling a modified grenade from his side pocket, Forge hope that it would buy them enough time to get to the jet and get Storm back to the mansion. Finding a mark, Forge threw it, turned and ran, not waiting to see it land. The force from the explosion sent him flying through the air.

Landing, it took a moment for Forge to get to his feet. Hearing a noise, Forge looked to his right, his eyes landing on Wolverine, who leaned against a tree, using his body to protect Storm from the explosion.

“You got a plan to get us out of here,” Wolverine asked Forge when he approached them. Not looking up, he gently gathered Storm into his arms, her head nestled against his shoulder.

Not getting a reply, Wolverine turned to face Forge.

“How did you…?” Forge began.

“Animal instincts, remember,” Wolverine replied snidely, “So like I said, you got a way to get us out of here?”

“Yeah. Its right there,” Forge said, nodding toward a small clearing in the woods.

“There ain’t nothing over there, Forge,” Wolverine said angrily, thinking that now is not the time for Forge to be fucking around.

“Yea of little faith,” Forge replied calmly, pulling out a remote from his pocket and pressing a button. Wolverine looked over at the clearing and was amazed to see a mini-jet slowly materialize in the space.

“Okay. Now let’s get the hell out of here,” Wolverine said as they ran to the jet.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back at the mansion, the team all waited in the War Room for Beast to tell them about Storm.

“How is she?” Wolverine asked anxiously, standing as a weary Beast stepped in the room.

“We got her stabilize but she’s still unconscious. She took quite a hit,” Hank replied, rubbing his tired eyes, “We won’t know how the neutralizer affected her until she awakens. Now, all we can do is wait.”

“Do you know how long it will be, Beast?” Jubilee asked.

“Its hard to say. It just like it was with Logan, we just have to wait and see what happens,” Beast replied, drawing Wolverine’s attention as the sound of his name.

“So when can we see her?” Jean asked, asking the question that was on everyone’s mind.

“In about an hour or so.”

“Its your fucking fault,” Wolverine yelled at Forge suddenly, his anger boiling over. “If you hadn’t created that damn thing, ‘Ro wouldn’t be lying in that bed in a fucking coma.” The more he spoke, the more rage Wolverine felt. Like Ororo, some of his mutant ability was driven by emotion and right now, and he was nearing a breaking point. The animal in him smelt the fear in the room and drank it in, desiring more.

“Logan, calm down,” Cyclops told him, standing.

Looking over at Scott, the animal in Logan licked its jaws, itching for a fight. “Can it, Rookie. This ain’t got nothing to do with you. But if you want some, I got enough for you after I’m done with him,” Logan growled, his glare resting on Cyclops for a moment. Cyclops resisted the urge to blast Logan, knowing that he would behave in the same way if anything had happen to Jean.

“Logan, we all are upset about Storm but she wouldn’t want us to take it out on each other,” Beast said quietly trying to calm his friend. At the sound of her name, Wolverine relaxed a little but was still too wound up to stay. Knowing that if he didn’t leave, he would hurt someone namely Forge, Wolverine growled loudly as he made his way out of the room. Before stepping through the doors, he turned back and pointed an extended claw at Forge.

“If she dies, so do you,” Logan promised him before turning and walking away.

“Wolverine,” Jubilee called after him, getting up to follow.

“Let him go, darlin’,” Rogue said, standing in the young girl’s path, and holding her in a loose embrace, “He got ta let that anger go.” Now where did that Swamp Rat get to, she thought looking around for her fiancé.





You must login () to review.