Chap 19: Friend or Foe

Damn Forge, done fucked everything up, Logan thought as he walked across the hall and stepped through the doors of the infirmary. Hank, Jean, and Forge put Storm in one of the semi-private rooms. A private person, Storm had requested long ago that if anything should happen to her, that they would put her in one of the semi-private rooms. Hank nodded in response to her request and kept his promise.

Walking up to her prone form, Logan couldn’t help thinking that she looked asleep. So peaceful, he thought, taking her hand and looking down.

“‘Ro, I don’t know if you can hear me, but I just wanted to let you know that I love you and no matter what happens, we’ll face it together, darlin” Logan said kissing her hand as he knelt beside the bed. Taking in her profile, Logan remembered the last time he was on his knees around Ororo. Closing his eyes, he replayed the whole seen from when he carried her from the balcony to her response and his shout of joy. Opening his eyes, Logan was prepared to see ‘Ro smiling down at him. But instead, he saw her lying on a bed, surrounded by beeping machines. When reality hit him, the rage he felt in the War Room returned.

“I won’t be far, darlin’,” he whispered to her before kissing her gently, replacing her hand by her side.

Logan left the infirmary headed to the one place where he knew he could release this pent up rage and not harm anyone. Entering the Danger Room, Logan watched from the Tower as Gambit went through a high level session.

Great minds do think alike, he thought, commanding the computer to pause the mission. Gambit looked up at the Control Tower, an angry expression on his face, ready to cuss out the person who’d stopped his session.

“Want company?” Wolverine asked, using the PA system.

“Oui,” Gambit told him, taking the opportunity to wipe the sweat from his brow. He had been ready to release more of his own rage when Logan and Forge returned to the mansion with an unconscious Storm. He knew he would never forgive himself for letting Ororo go off by herself, regardless of the conversation they had before she took off. It was even harder after he saw Rogue when she landed, worn out from fighting. The more he replayed the scene in his head, the angrier Gambit got, wishing that he had stopped her. Dammit Stormie, he thought as the doors opened and Logan walked in.

Nodding to his friend, Gambit struck a ready posture as the session began again. Gambit yelled as he charged in, taking out the first five androids with a barrage of highly charged cards.

I feel ya, Cajun, Logan thought as he went to the right, taking out five more.

For the next hour, Wolverine and Gambit fought computer generated androids, Sentinels, Magneto and the Brotherhood of Mutants, and even some personal foes. The rage they felt was evident as they, usually graceful and strategic fighters, attacked their foes wildly and without mercy, annihilating everything in their path. They fought until the bell sounded, signaling the end of the session. As the gray walls replaced the carnage, Gambit and Logan slid to the floor, exhausted.

They laid there for a while before either spoke.

“What a workout,” Gambit said breathlessly, watching Wolverine as he slowly got to his feet.

“Yeah,” Wolverine said huskily, bending over with his hands on his knees, his mind still racing with angry thoughts, “You feel any better?”

“Nah. You?”

“Nah. Probably won’t ‘til she wakes up,” Logan said, standing to his full height, “I’m going to check on her. You coming?”

“Yeah, in a minute. Need to catch my breath.”

“Alright. If Rogue asks…,” Logan started as the doors of the Danger Room slid open.

“Rogue ain’t got ta ask. Ah knew where ya was Swamp Rat,” Rogue said stepping over the threshold headed over to her man, “Ah figured you and Logan needed some time to blow off some steam. So have ya cooled down a bit?”

“Not really. How is she ‘chere?” Gambit asked as he got to his feet.

Rogue lowered her eyes and shook her head sadly.

Seeing her response caused something in Logan to snap. He thought about the promise he made to her. How can I be the head of her fucking household if I can’t fucking protect her, he thought, feeling his rage building up again. With a yell, Logan slammed his fist into the wall nearest him, leaving a deep impression. Breathing hard, Logan ignored the blood that trickled down his hand and fell like large raindrops to the floor.

“Logan,” Rogue said startle into motion, leaving her place next to Gambit. Careful not to touch him, Rogue stood close enough so that she was sure that he heard her. “I know you are kickin’ ya ass right now ‘cause ya figure ya didn’t protect her,” she began, hoping that she was getting through to him. “But Wolverine, ya did protect her. If it hadn’t been for ya, where would she be right now?” Rogue asked, as she placed a comforting gloved hand on his shoulder, “Instead of thinkin of what ya didn’t do, think ‘bout what cha did.” With a pat on his shoulder, Rogue turned and headed back over to Gambit. Remembering something, she turned back to Logan who hadn’t moved a muscle, “And in case ya didn’t know, there’s a chair waiting next to her wit ya name on it.”

Taking Gambit’s hand, Rogue led him out of the Danger Room toward the infirmary, leaving Logan to his thoughts. Left alone, Logan did something he hadn’t done in a long time. He cried. Still facing the wall, Logan dropped to his knees, his shoulders heaving as spasms rocked his body. As he kneeled and the tears flowed, he remembered something ‘Ro had shared with him a few years ago, while sitting on the log near the lake. As was their custom, Logan and Ororo would reminisce about the past by sharing their stories. That day, Ororo told him the story of when her mother found her crying after being teased by some of the other children.

“My mother always told me that the best way to get clarity was to have good cry,” she had said making him chuckle.

“A good cry? Why did she say that?” he asked, humoring the goddess.

“She said that when you have a good cry, you are cleansing the body of confusing emotions. Once you are done, you will be able to think clearly about whatever is bothering you and thus you will be able to figure out how to solve it. Crying is just another way to the body uses to cleanse itself,” she said smiling to herself, “So Logan, when was the last time you had a good cry?”

“Its been a while,” he said simply, looking back out over the lake as his mind took him back through the few memories he could recollect, searching for a time when he cried. Once he found it, he remembered how he felt afterward, and knew that ‘Ro’s mother was right on the money.

“Never thought of it like that,” he replied falling into a comfortable silence, each deep in thought.

As that memory played out, Logan got to his feet, feeling the clarity that Ororo’s mother said would come after a good cry. Thank you, ma’am, he said silently, thanking Ororo’s mother for her wisdom and ‘Ro for sharing it with him. Wiping away the moisture from his eyes and face, Logan left the Danger Room, headed to the infirmary.

Up in the Tower, Forge watched Logan leave. Though Forge had heard all that Rogue had said and he had seen Logan’s emotional struggle, he felt nothing. His anger from losing Ororo to him was still fresh in his mind. Watching the doors close, Forge leaned back in his chair and let his mind ponder on the events of the past year and a half.

When he arrived to the mansion, he was on a mission. That mission was completed just as he planned it. Well almost, he thought, replaying the conversation he had with his design team months before he arrived at the mansion.

“The best mutant to try the neuralizer on is the one they call the Goddess,” one of Forge’s scientists said, taking his seat at the round table, facing the others, “If it can take her down, then the others don’t stand a chance.”

“You mean the X-Man Storm?” a lab tech asked, “That’s crazy! Do you know how fortified that mansion is? Not to mention that there’s no way to get the neuralizer past all the security.”

“Maybe we don’t have to be the one actually shoot her,” Forge said, standing and going to the window, “All we need to do is to make it into a threat to national security and the X-Men will respond.”

“How would we do that?” another tech asked.

“Just leave everything to me,” Forge told them with a smile, leaving the room and working out the details of the plan in his head.

When he started, he didn’t plan on anyone in his team losing their life over it. Nor did I plan on falling in love, he thought as the images of the team faded only to be replaced by images of him and Storm in happier times. The memories played without stopping. He and Ororo’s first dance at the club; The party that he brought to her when she couldn’t leave the mansion; All of the long, engaging conversations they shared; Those moments of flirtatious, sensuality that left them both breathless. With each memory, the crushing weight of the reality of what he did crashed down on Forge’s shoulders, causing him to drop his head in his hands, and asking the question “What have I done?!?

“I know how you feel,” Beast said a few minutes later, startling Forge, “My apologies, my friend. I did not mean to startle you. You okay?”

“Yeah, Hank. I’m fine. Just worried about Ororo,” Forge told him truthfully.

“We all are. Maybe you should go check on her.”

“I think I will,” Forge said standing and stretching, trying to relieve some of the tension from his shoulders. Turning to his friend, Forge expressed his sincere gratitude to the flurry blue man who he had come to consider a close friend. “Thanks Hank for everything. You’re a good friend.” Smiling as he shook Hank’s hand, Forge turned and left the Control Tower, headed to the infirmary.

As he approached the door, Forge thought about how he could make it right. Feeling responsible for everything that had happened, Forge played out scenarios in his mind about what he could do to make everything right again. Deep in thought, Forge was reaching for the button to open the infirmary door, when Gambit’s voice stopped him.

“I wouldn’t do that, mon ami,” Gambit told him, leaning up against the wall opposite of the infirmary door.

“And why not?” Forge asked, turning toward him, truly not in the mood to play any of Gambit’s games.

“Because you the last person they need to see right now,” Gambit replied.

“When you say they, do you mean him?” Forge asked snidely, using the quote hand gestures.

“No need to get angry. Ya know better than I that de Wolverine not feelin’ ya right now,” Gambit told him, using some slang he’d picked up from the kids, “So Gambit suggest ya go someplace else, and give ‘em de space they need.”

“You know, I’m getting really tired of you having something to say about what I should and should not do,” Forge said angrily, his patience with Gambit finally running out.

Gambit appraised him calmly, his hand rubbing his chin. Just as he was about to speak, he thought better of it, his respect for Ororo outweighing his desire to strike out at Forge. “Fortunately for ya, Ah have a lot of respect for my Stormie. So next time, Forge, ya and Gambit “talk”, no?” Gambit replied, using his own quote gesture before turning and walking toward the elevators.

“You know, Gambit, I took you to be the type of person who truly cared about Ororo and would do anything to protect her. But I guess I was wrong. Instead of stopping her, you let her go on a suicide mission. Wow, what a friend. I can only hope to have one just like you one day,” Forge said, calmly looking down at his finger nails, knowing he would get a rise out of him.

Without a sound, Gambit turned and in two steps, was on Forge, one hand on his throat, the other charging a deck of cards. “Ya know, Forge, ya really shouldn’t tempt fate, mon ami,” Gambit said, his red eyes glowing angrily, “But if ya ready to “talk” now, Gambit be more than happy to oblige.”

Hank, on his way to check on Ororo, heard Gambit’s loud, angry voice. Leaping forward, he turned to corner in time to see Gambit holding Forge against the wall, a deck of charged cards in his hand.

“Gambit, stop!” Hank said, “What is the meaning of this?”

“Gambit ‘bout to end de inventor’s life,” Gambit replied menacingly.

“And what would that accomplish?” Hank asked, trying to reason with him, while keeping his distance from the glowing cards.

“Inventor need to be taken down ah peg or two, and Gambit just de one tah do it,” he replied as the infirmary doors opened and Logan stepped out. Hearing the commotion, Logan went to tell whoever it was to take it somewhere else.

“Cajun, what the hell is going on out here?” Logan asked angrily, taking in the scene. Realizing that Gambit and Forge were about to come to blows, Logan tried to reason with them for their own safety, since he didn’t want to hurt either of them. But he knew would if it came to that. “This ain’t the way, man. Ya know ‘Ro wouldn’t want ya to go out like this.”

“Nah she wouldn’t but she don’t always like what Gambit do anyway,” he replied, his red eyes glowing with anticipation.

“Gambit, don’t do this,” Hank said, trying to reason with him, “This is not the time nor the place. Think of Ororo. If you start throwing those charged cards around, there is no telling what would happen.”

“And that I can’t let you do that so I suggest you let him go,” Logan said, his muscles tightening, ready to attack Gambit if he had to.

Seeing that it would not be in Ororo’s best interest for him to take Forge right then, Gambit backed up, releasing his hold, his cards fading back to normal.

Forge, free from the Gambit’s hold fell to one knee, gasping for breath. Holding his neck, he glared up at Gambit, his eyes fill with rage. Hank kneeled next to his friend and encouraged to him to stand. With Hank’s assistance, Forge got to his feet, his eyes never leaving Gambit. “This is not over,” he told Gambit before brushing off Hank’s hands and heading toward the hangar.

“Not by a long shot,” Gambit replied simply, before turning and heading to the elevators.

“What was that about?” Logan asked Hank who could only shake his head as he watched Forge walk with angry strides toward the hangar.

“You’re guest is as good as mine,” Logan replied before going back into the infirmary to check on Ororo.

“How she doing, Doc?” Logan asked after Hank was done checking the machines attached to Ororo.

“She’s still in stable condition. I’m not sure if the coma is a result of the neuralizer or from the fall but I’m hoping she will awaken soon.”

“Yeah, me too,” Logan said, taking his seat and rubbing his tired eyes.

“You should go so you can get some rest,” Hank suggested as he prepared leave.

“Can’t do that Doc. Not going to leave her,” Logan replied yawning, taking her hand in his and gazing at her peaceful face.

“I didn’t think you would,” Hank said softly, knowing that Logan would still hear him, “Good night, my friend.” Not waiting for an answer, Hank left, leaving Logan alone with his fiancé and his thoughts.

Getting comfortable, Logan held onto to Ororo’s hand as he leaned back in the chair, closing his eyes and whispering a short prayer before drifting off to sleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I’ll show them all, Forge thought angrily as his fingers flew across the mansion’s mainframe computer, creating a virus that would totally disable the system’s tracking abilities in the air and land vehicles. Preparing his jet, Forge set into motion a new plan, one that would allow him to make things right but also allow him to exact his revenge on Gambit and Logan. They will feelwhat is like to lose someone they love.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jean sat on the edge on the bed, an internal debate raging in her head. Since the mission at the dam when she had pushed her powers to their limits trying to rescue Scott and Logan, Jean’s telepathy had intensified. Able to read minds at will, Jean, in consideration of her teammates, would “turn” her ability on only when necessary, like during training sessions or missions. But the incident at the dam changed everything. Since then, she hasn’t been able to “turn” it off. As hard as she has tried, she hasn’t been able to block out the thoughts of others and it was driving her crazy. Usually whenever something like this happens, she would talk to the Professor but she hadn’t been so quick to mention it this time, wanting and needing at the same time to try to figure this one out on her own.

Jean felt confident that she could handle this new problem on her own until two days ago when she walked by the Professor’s office and was able to pick up his thoughts even with the mental block he keeps in place at all times. Not ready to have the Professor and Scott worrying about her or Hank and Forge performing tests on her, Jean decided to keep the information to herself, hoping that things would go back to normal soon. But things like this were bound to get worst before they got better, she thought as she stared at the carpet. Though she tried her best not to show it, her husband knew something was up when he stepped into the room, fresh out of the shower.

Deep in thought, she didn’t hear him enter. Drying off with his towel as he walked, Scott looked over at Jean and frowned, knowing immediately that something was wrong.

“Jean, you okay?” he asked startling her. “Sorry. I thought you heard me,” he said wrapping the towel around his waist and going over sit next to her, putting his arm around her, helping her to regain her composure.

“I’m fine. Why do you ask?” she asked, forcing a smile in his direction but not meeting his eyes.

“That. Woman, we’ve been together long enough for me know when something’s bothering you. Like right now,” he said jokingly, going over to the bureau, looking for some shorts to put on, “So spit it out.”

Sighing, Jean stood and walked over to the window, knowing it was best to tell Scott what she knew. “You may want to sit down for this,” she began, looking over her shoulder at him.

Hearing their code phrase, Scott stopped what he was doing mid-movement. He knew as well as she that whenever she started a conversation with that phrase, that she was about to lay something heavy on him.

Doing as she asked, Scott tried to keep worry off his face, knowing that whatever Jean had to say would not be pretty.

“I was making my way back from the hangar. When I passed the Control Tower, I heard Forge’s thoughts.”

“I thought you turned off your telepathy when you’re not training or on a mission?” Scott asked, worry lines appearing on his forehead.

“That’s one of the problems. I haven’t been able to turn it off since the incident at the dam,” she replied, looking out at the window, not wanting to see Scott’s reaction.

“Why didn’t you say something before now?” he asked, wondering why it had taken his wife a few months to tell him something this important.

“That’s not the worst part,” she replied turning to face him.

“What could be worst than that?” he asked, cutting her off.

“If you would let me finish, then you would know,” Jean replied impatiently. Pausing to take a breath, Jean told him. “The mission was a setup. Forge planned the whole thing.”

“What do you mean “planned”?” Scott asked her standing, his mind racing.

Jean told Scott everything. She told him how the memories were so vivid, that she felt as if she was there with them as they spoke. As soon as she finished, Scott went into action. Quickly throwing something on, Scott headed out the door. With Jean trailing him, he raced to the infirmary. Entering the room, Scott cursed under his breath. The room was in disarray and Logan lay in the bed where Ororo should be. Knowing that Forge had come and gone, Scott used the communicator on his watch to summon the rest of the team. He stepped out in to the hall, wanting to brief them before they saw the room.

Hank was the first to respond.

“Hank, do you know where Forge is?” Scott asked him.

“In his room, I think,” Hank said yawning, “The last time I saw him, he was heading toward the elevators. What’s the problem?”

“The problem is Forge set us up,” Scott said angrily, his eyes flashing red, “It seems that he planned this whole thing from the beginning with the intentions of testing that weapon on Storm.”

“That’s absurd,” Hank said, totally not believing what he was hearing, “How could he… Where did you get such erroneous information?” Hank asked angrily, his chest heaving, not believing what was being said about his friend.

The others, hearing Hank’s angry outburst hurried through the corridor to reach them.

“What’s going on, sugah?” Rogue asked Hank, who looked ready to lash out at someone.

“Scott thinks that Forge may have had a hand in the attack on Storm,” Hank said, shaking his head, “but I don't believe it.”

“Its true, Hank. I heard his thoughts and could even see what he saw in him mind,” Jean replied, getting shocked looks all around.

“Jean, but...” Hank began, knowing that something was definitely going on with her.

“It's not about me right now Hank,” Jean told him impatiently, “We can figure what's going on with me after we find Storm.”

“What do you mean, “find Storm”? Gambit asked Jean, who couldn't meet his eyes. Not getting a response from anyone, Gambit went past them and pressed the button to open the infirmary door.

Gambit heard the shocked gasps at the sight of the disheveled room. Rushing over to Wolverine, Gambit shook him angrily. “Wolverine, wake up.”

Wolverine groaned, his hand going to his head. Feel like I got hit by a truck, he thought as he looked around the room, his gaze landing on Gambit, who stood next to him.

“Cajun?” he asked, not sure what was going on.

“She’s gone,” Gambit told him, the anger in his voice fading.

“Who?” Wolverine asked, his voice sounding distant. Knowing that time was of the essence, Gambit slapped Logan hard across the jaw, knowing that would pull Logan out of his stupor.

“What de hell?” Logan said angrily, finally coming around, ready to pounce on whoever hit him.

“Now not de time,” Gambit told him as Logan growled, “Stormie’s gone.”

Logan, realizing where he was, jumped out of the bed and looked around the room, frantic.

“Where is she?” he bellowed, tearing through the room. After a few minutes of tossing things around, Logan felt as if his arms weighed a ton. “Where is she?” he asked again, quietly this time, as he slid to the floor exhausted.

“Logan,” Rogue called out as she went to catch him before he hit the ground.

“He drugged him,” Jubilee said tearfully, worried about her mentor.

“Get him on the bed,” Hank told Rogue as she gathered the heavy mutant in her arms.

“Put me down,” Logan said, making a feeble attempt to get free of Rogue's hold.

“You need to stay put. We don't know what drug he used on you so we have to be careful,” Hank said, taking a sample of Logan's blood after Rogue laid Logan on the bed.

“We ain't got time for that,” Gambit said angrily, his eyes flashing as he watched Hank prepare the sample for the machine, “We got to find Stormie.”

“And how do you suppose we do that, Gambit? You don’t realize the kind of situation we’re in do you?” Hank asked calmly, as he examined the results of the drug panel.

“He had to take one of the planes or sometin’ and they got a tracking device in ‘em,” Gambit replied, annoyed that they were having what he thought was a frivolous conversation.

“That’s true but who do you think redesigned them?” Hank asked preparing an antidote for Logan.

The answer to the question slowly registered on the team’s shocked faces.

“I can’t believe we were so stupid,” Iceman said putting in words the thoughts of many of the team members.

“You weren’t the only ones fooled,” Professor Xavier said as he entered the infirmary, “He had us all fooled. I don’t know why he did what he did, but I don’t believe that Forge would do anything to hurt Ororo.”

“How can you be sure about that Professor when he even had you fooled?” Scott asked, watching Hank give Logan a shot in the arm.

“I truly believe that he loves her. Its because of his love for her that he took her and is probably planning to try to reverse the affects of the neuralizer.”

“But I heard his thoughts and saw the images in his head, Professor. He wanted to test the weapon on Storm because he felt if it worked on a Goddess, then it would work on all mutants,” Jean replied.

“I think I know what the Prof’s talking about,” Bobby said, his hand on his chin, deep in thought, “Though his intentions were to test the weapon on her in the beginning, I don’t think he thought he would have feelings for her. So because he did, he felt bad about what happened, and I would bet a week of sparring with Logan that he took her to a lab in order to try to restore her powers.”

The other Team members looked at Bobby, shocked at his rational thought.

“You have a headache now, don’tcha?” Dazzler asked him and he nodded his head, making some of the Team laugh.

“Dis ain’t no time for fucking laughter,” Logan said getting off the table and going over to where the team stood, loosely huddled around the Professor.

“I’ll kill him,” Logan growled, pacing around the room, his rage increasing with each step.

“Take a number, mon ami,” Gambit said.

“You can’t kill him ‘less ya know where he at, sugah,” Rogue told them as they passed her.

“Right. How are going to do something when we don’t know where he is?” Jubliee asked, expressing the frustrated thoughts of the younger team members who nodded their agreement.

“That’s true especially since he helped to redesign the security systems, the Danger Room, and the new jets,” Iceman replied, sitting heavily in a chair, looking defeated.

“So basically you’re saying that we can track him because he could override everything because he helped design it?” Dazzler asked, seeing where Iceman was going.

“Yeap. So basically we’re…” Iceman began, drawing scowling looks from the adults, “My bad.”

“Maybe not,” Hank said, cleaning his work area.

“What do you mean, Hank?” Scott asked, hoping he had a solution.

“So if I’m hearing things correctly, if Jean was able to hear his thoughts and even see images, maybe she can reach out to his mind again to help us locate them since she has had contact with it already. What do you think Professor?”

“It’s worth a try,” the Professor replied looking at Jean, his eyes full of questions.

“I’ll explain after we find Ororo,” she said, answering one of his unspoken questions. Walking away from the group, Jean placed her hands on either side of her face and closed her eyes, focusing her mental energy on Forge.

Jean's shriek brought Scott, moving quickly to catch her before she hit the floor.

“Jean,” he asked, his voice filled with worry.

“I...I'm okay,” she replied weakly as he took her in his arms and carried her over to a bed. Sitting on the edge, Jean held her head, still feeling the after effects of the mental shield.

“What happened Jean?” the Professor asked as he rolled closer to her.

“I don't know. I was seeing what he was seeing for a minute then there was a bright flash and pain.”

“Sounds like he used his mental block,” Hank told them, making his way through the team to get to Jean. Taking out his stethoscope, he told them, “He told me about the invention that he tailored after hearing about Magneto's helmet. He created it and wears it as a watch. That's why I was in denial about what Jean mentioned earlier. I figured that since he had that invention, no one could read his thoughts.” Leaning back, he checked her pulse and her pupils with his mini-flashlight. “So that's why it was so hard for me to believe you saw what you saw. But maybe there's another way,” Hank said, helping Jean down off the bed.

“And that is?” Logan asked, making his way over to the others as they stood near Jean and Hank.

“Maybe she can connect with Ororo. They have an established mental link so maybe, even with her being unconscious, Jean may be able to reach out to Ororo and see if she can help that way.”

“That sounds crazy,” Bobby said, totally not believing that anyone could do that.

“Said by someone who can turn into ice,” Dazzler replied, “How is that any crazier than anything that we see on a daily basis?”

“You got a point there,” Jubilee said, ready for action, “I say we try what Hank said and see where that gets us.”

“Are you up for it?” Scott asked Jean, worried about her.

“Sounds like a plan. I'll probably need to use Cerebro since I'm still a little woozy.”

“Maybe we should wait until you are feeling better, Jean,” the Professor said, trying to be the voice of reason.

“No, there's no time for that. We need to find Ororo,” Jean said impatiently, holding the Professor's gaze, hoping he would sense that she was strong enough to use Cerebro.

“Alright. If you feel you're up to it, I'm okay with it,” he said, giving his blessing.

“I am,” Jean said, turning, her gaze falling on Logan. For you, she projected, getting a nod of thanks in response.





You must login () to review.