Chapter 20: Reconnect

“Are you sure you’re up for this?” Scott asked her as he watched her put on the helmet. Outside the closed door, the others waited, hoping and praying that Jean will be successful in contacting Ororo.

“There’s really no other option, Scott. If it was me, I’m sure you would want the Professor to do the same, right?” Jean said, settling into the chair and closing her eyes, knowing his answer without looking at him.

Scott nodded before turning and walking toward the open door to join the others who stood outside. As the doors slid shut, all eyes turned to the monitor mounted next to the door which gave them a bird’s eye view of what was going on in the room. Scott, saying a silent prayer for his wife’s safety, watched as Jean placed her hands on either side of the helmet. Linked in more ways that one, Scott felt the moment when Jean’s mental energy entered the Astral Plane in search of Ororo’s.

Using her mental link with her friend as a beacon, Jean’s mental self flew through the Plane and landed on a sandy beach.

Moving her hair from her eyes, Jean stood and took in the beauty of the scenery that surrounded her. The brilliant sun hung majestically in the sky, everything it touched basking in its warmth. The crystal clear blue water pounded the shore, alternating between gentle and forceful waves. The white sand molded itself around her feet, surprising cool under the merciless assault from the sun. Enjoying the scenery and its peacefulness, Jean knew that when everything was over, she would make plans with Scott for a visit to the nearest beach.

Remembering her mission, Jean looked up and spied a figure off in the distance. Ororo stood in the surf, far enough in so that the ocean’s water lapped at her knees, her silvery white hair billowing in the gentle wind.

Gazing out at the ocean, Ororo sensed the presence of her friend but decided to allow her to get closer before she pulled her eyes away from the serene sight before her. Although she missed her friends, she still enjoyed her communion with nature.

Walking toward her, Jean knew that this scene would forever be burned in her memory. There was nothing like the beauty of nature to put things in perspective, she thought as she closed the distance between herself and Ororo.

I agree, Ororo projected, turning toward her friend, a smile on her face, It is good to see you my friend. I thought that I would be lost to you all forever. Embracing her friend, Ororo knew that her time here had come to an end. She knew if her friend was here, that something serious had happened.

Isn’t it beautiful?, Ororo asked, sighing peacefully as the waves crashed toward them.

Yes, its making me long for the real beach, but it will not be as peaceful as this one, Jean replied, standing next to Ororo and allowing herself to fall under the tranquil spell again.

How did you know to find me here?, Ororo asked after a few moments, deciding that they had had enough time to enjoy their surroundings.

We have a link. Every time I communicate with someone telepathically, a link with them is established. Once the link is established, I can visit the person on the Astral Plane and even in their dreams. But its takes a lot out of me and I don’t make it a habit invading other people’s dreams. By the way, how is it that your version of the Astral Plane is a beautifully peaceful beach when the one I remember is a tad bit different.

Didn’t you tell me that the Astral Plane is unique to the individual and reflects what’s in the person’s heart?

I guess I forgot that. Now it makes sense, Jean said as they made their way to some chairs and a table that Jean was sure wasn’t there before.

Okay, so now that we are seated, tell me why you are here, Ororo said, setting a place her friend.

Taking a seat, Jean smiled her thanks to her friend who had placed a small plate filled with fruit in front of her. Something terrible happened and this is the only way we could communicate with you.

I take it that the “something” happened to me, Ororo said calmly, pouring her friend some juice from glass pitcher that matched the sea exactly.

We think that Forge kidnapped you, Jean replied before sipping her juice, watching Ororo for her reaction.

Why would Forge do a thing like that?, Ororo asked, a surprised look on her face.

To figure out a way to restore your powers.

Restore my powers?

Jean stared at her friend, a surprised look on her face. You don’t remember what happened, do you?

I can’t say that I do, Ororo said, taking a sip of her juice to calm her nerves.

Okay. I need to tell you everything quickly because I feel myself losing strength, Jean said, before taking a deep breath. She explained everything to Ororo from the mission where she was shot with the neuralizer, to her hearing Forge’s thoughts and the scene at the infirmary.

So, we decided to take a shot in the dark with me attempting to contact you via our mental link, with the hope that I would get through to you and encourage you to wake up.

Is that even possible?, Ororo said, feeling a slight tug.

You know, had you asked me that before I had traveled through the Astral Plane to end up sharing a drink with one of my closest friends’ who is who knows where, I would have told you, not a chance. But now, I feel that any thing is possible as long as you have faith, Jean replied, smiling.

Okay, when you put it that way, Ororo replied, setting her cup down, So tell me this, what’s that slight tug I feel.

If it’s what I think it is, that’s your consciousness trying to bring you out of your coma, Jean replied, feeling the same tug, knowing that her time there was coming to an end.

So what happens now?, Ororo asked, not sure what to think about what Jean told her.

I’m hoping that you will wake up where ever you are and let us know where you are so we can come and get you.

Will I remember any of this?, Ororo asked, sensing the pull of consciousness.

That I’m not sure but I think there is a possibility. The Team is crossing their fingers, hoping so that when you regain consciousness, you will remember this conversation and contact us so we can come get you, Jean said, her voice weakening, her spirit self slowing fading, And besides, Logan is missing you like crazy. You know that man is lost without you.

Will you give him a message for me?, Ororo asked weakly, also fading.

Sure.

Tell him I will be home soon.

Jean felt herself sailing thorough the Plane and braced for the landing. Opening her eyes, Jean looked up into the worried faces of her friends. Smiling weakly, Jean tried to sit up. Strong hands helped her to a sitting position.

“Jean, are you okay?” Scott asked his voice filled with worry.

“I think so. What happened?,” she asked, her hand touching a sore spot on her forehead, “Ouch.”

“Thank goodness,” he said, taking her into his arms and lifting her off the cold floor. “You slid out of the chair, hitting your head in the process. I pulled you away from the ledge and called the Professor. He told me not to move you any more than I had too, so that your spirit would be able to find your body.”

“Yeah, that sounds about right,” Jean said, gingerly touching the sore spot on her head. That’s gonna leave a bruise, she thought before yawning loudly, her body screaming its need to rest. Heeding her silent request, Scott started toward the elevator, headed to their room.

“Hold it, Boy Scout. Some of us would like to know what happened,” Logan called out, moving through the Team to get to Scott.

“Not now, Logan. Jean needs her rest,” Scott said over his shoulder, not stopping.

“I know and understand your need to take care of her right now but I need you to understand that my woman is out there somewhere and the only person who can tell me anything is your wife. So if it’s okay with you, I would like to ask Jean a few questions,” Logan said, shocking all those around him as his calm and respectful response to Scott’s impatient statement.

Wow, the young team members thought, totally unprepared for Logan’s calmness during a time like this. Way to go, Storm, Jubilee thought, a smile creasing her face, seeing the changes that a strong love can enact.

“Scott, its okay,” Jean said, looking up into her husband’s drawn face, understanding and responding to Logan’s plea for information, “There will be time for me to rest but everyone needs to hear this.”

Sighing, Scott stopped and turned, telling everyone to gather in Rec Room #1 so Jean could sit while she told the Team about the experience.

Settled in, the Team looked at her expectantly.

“I did make contact with Ororo and she was receptive to what I told her. She did not remember what happened to her and after I explained things, she understood and knew what she had to do. Near the end, she asked me about this tugging feeling she had, which was the same that I experienced right before I woke up on the floor. So I’m guessing that she will regain consciousness soon.”

“Great. Now what do we do?” Bobby asked.

“We be ready so when de word comes, we go quickly,” Gambit replied, relieved that his Stormie was okay.

“Did she say anything else, Jean?” Logan asked, as Jean yawned loudly again, drawing a determined look from Scott to take her upstairs.

“Yes, she did,” Jean said as Scott picked up her and she stilled his movements by touching his arm, “She said to tell you that she will see you soon.” Leaving the room, Jean sensed everyone felt better knowing that, although Ororo was not with them, she was okay wherever she was.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Opening her eyes, Ororo looked up at the ceiling, her eyes slowly adjusting to the brightness. As her eyes adjusted, the memory of her talk with Jean on the beach flooded her thoughts, reminding her of her situation and what she needed to do. First I need to figure out where he is, she thought as she tried to move her hand only to find that something prevented its movements.

“Hey sleepy head,” Forge said gently as he stood on her right, still holding her hand.

“Forge. Where am I?” Ororo asked, her voice raspy.

“Don’t worry my love. You’re safe,” he replied, pressing a button on the bed that moved so that she was in a sitting position.

“Where’s Hank?” she asked, looking around at the unfamiliar room before her gaze fell on Forge as he fussed over her, fluffing her pillows and pulling a blanket up to cover her.

“He’s back at the mansion,” Forge said simply, finally returning her gaze.

“Okay, so back to my original question...where am I?”

“We’re as one of my labs. I brought you here to make you better,” he replied, pulling over a small table filled with vials and needles.

“Why did you take me away from the mansion, Forge? Hank could have taken care of me at the mansion,” Ororo replied, needing confirmation that what Jean told her was true.

“You got hurt during the last mission. Since I knew that Hank didn’t have anything that could help you, I decided to bring you here so that I could do what needed to be done,” he replied pulling out a syringe and wiping her arm with alcohol, “So now that you are awake, I can give you the antidote that will make everything got back to normal.”

“Forge don’t,” Ororo said weakly, realizing at the last minute that her other arm was strapped to the bed. Forge, ignoring her pleas, inserted the needle in her arm and pushed the plunger, forcing the clear liquid into her arm.

“This shouldn’t hurt a bit,” he replied, gazing down at her as her eyes slid close again, “But it may make you drowsy and you may forget a few things.”





You must login () to review.