Chap 5: A Night Off


Up in her room, Ororo sits out on the balcony, her journal in her lap. Since that fateful day, she has turned to journal writing as an outlet for her pent up thoughts and emotions that threaten her usually calm persona.

Journal Entry #15

Two weeks has passed since Gambit and Wolverine tried to take the other out, one fighting to avenge the broken heart of a friend, the other, fighting for his life. Things have gotten back to normal for everyone except me. I still hurt from the pain of the choice Logan made. I have loved Logan from a far for a very long time. I hurt not only for myself but for him because I know that his feelings will continue to be hurt if he doesn’t come to terms with Jean and Scott’s relationship. But who am I to judge. I’m in love with a man who loves someone else. I know if I express these feelings to any of my female teammates, I’m sure they would probably suggest that I let it go and try to find someone else to love. I understand that thought but how do you let go of something that has been a part of you for so many years. It is easy to say but so much harder to do. Oh, dear Goddess, please come to my aid, I need you now.

Ororo

Sighing as she closed the book, Ororo stood and looked out over the land as she had many times before, her thoughts on her love for Logan. Deep in thought, she didn’t hear Jean knocking on her door.

Jean knocked again. Not getting a response, she tried the knob. The knob turned and she pushed open the door. She slipped into the room, her eyes scanning for Ororo. Seeing her silhouette through the thin curtains, she called to her.

“Ororo,” she called, startling the goddess.

Ororo, stepping back into the room, looked at Jean.

“Sorry for barging in,” Jean told her, smiling apologetically, “I knocked but got no response.”

“It’s okay, Jean. My mind was somewhere else,” Ororo said, pulling the chair back inside the room, offering it to her. Jean smiled her thanks and sat down.

Ororo, taking a seat on her bed, asked, “What can I do for you?”

“I wanted to see if you would go out with us tonight,” Jean said, watching her closely.

Seeing that she was about to decline the invitation, Jean cut her off.

“Ororo, you can’t stay stuck in this room on your off days,” Jean said hurriedly, waving her hands, indicting the room, to emphasis her point, “We all need a break from being saviors of the world. So since we have a rare opportunity to enjoy ourselves as a group, I thought it would be a good idea to go somewhere and just chill. We’re going out to have a good time and I’m not taking no for an answer.”

Smiling at her friend’s persistence, Ororo leaned back on her bed, looking at Jean thoughtfully, considering her offer. Something deep within her yelled ‘yes’ and the echoes of the word became a nagging thought in her head. After a few minutes of an internal struggle, Ororo decided that she would go. Besides, she thought, what could it hurt.

“Alright, Jean. I will go along with you and the others,” she responded, getting a big hug from a very happy Jean.

“I promise you won’t regret it,” Jean said, heading to the door, “We’re leaving at 9 sharp. Meet us in the garage and wear something sexy.” Laughing gleefully, Jean disappeared through the door, leaving Ororo to figure out if she had something ‘sexy’ in her closet. I guess I could put something together by then, she thought, going to her closet.

“Wow, you look beautiful,” Scott told Jean as she met him the in the foyer of the mansion.

“You don’t look half bad yourself,” she said, taking his arm and allowing him to lead her to the garage, where many of the others were waiting. They walked in to see most of the members of the team dressed to the nines. Marie, dressed in a cream colored pants suit, complimented the dark attire worn by Remy. They were in deep conversation with Hank and Forge, who were just as snazzy in their polo shirts and dark slacks. Near them, Kurt stood next to Kitty, admiring her teal blue silky dress as she and Alison, in her tight black pants and very colorful top, were engaged in an animated conversation.

Where is she, Jean thought, looking around for Ororo. I’ll give her a few minutes before I try her telepathically, she decided, smiling up into Scott’s handsome face. How did I get to be so lucky, she thought as Scott leaned down and kissed her. I second that, Scott replied telepathically. Smiling sheepishly, Jean didn’t realize that she was projecting her thoughts. Oh well, she projected, now you know how I really feel. Nodding, Scott took her into his arms and kissed her deeply, oblivious to Logan’s arrival.

“Hey Cyke, let ‘er breath,” Logan told him walking into the room with Jubilee in tow. Smiling as Jean and Scott separated, he could see the look of surprise on their face as they took in his appearance.

“I clean up nice, huh,” he said, turning so everyone could admire his outfit. Dressed in navy pants and beige shirt, which was open a little to show off his chest hair, Logan did not resemble the rude, rough, and mean teammate they knew. Having enough of his walk on the “runway”, Logan turned to Jubilee and whispered close to her ear, “Thanks, kid. I really ‘preciate the help.”

Smiling, Jubilee reached up and kissed him on the cheek. “No problem, just remember your promise to take me out on the motorcycle,” she said as she made her way over to Kitty and Alison as they chatted excitedly over her Chinese outfit, a red cheonsam dress, covered in gold dragons.

“We’re just waiting for Ororo,” Jean told them, her back to the door.

“I’m here,” Ororo said, drawing everyone’s attention. Ororo heard her teammates collective gasp as they took in her flouncy, knee length halter dress that matched her eyes perfectly. She complimented the dress with a white and blue shawl. Her long, shimmering white hair was pinned up with a few spiral curls framing her face. With her radiant smile, the team could see why this woman was once revered as a goddess.

Ororo looked around at her friends and giggled, enjoying the approving and shocked looks. “I can dress up when I have a reason too,” she told them, smiling brightly.

“Wow. I see you really did have something ‘sexy’ in your closet,” Jean said, smiling giving her a hug, whispering “You’re beautiful” as they embraced.

“Thanks, you too,” Ororo whispered back, as the embrace ended. The rest of the team surrounded her and expressed their thoughts as well.

“Ororo, you are a sight,” Beast exclaimed going over to his friend, and kissing her on the cheek, “Words can not express it.”

“I agree. You are breathtakingly beautiful,” Forge added, openly admiring her.

“He-lloo!! She’s not the only female here,” Jubilee said jokingly, a playful pout on her pretty face.

Laughing, everyone began dividing among the cars waiting to take them on their night out on the town.

Settling in beside Gambit, Ororo hoped the night would be one to remember.

Arriving at the club, the drivers held the doors open and the team got out. The excitement of the club was contagious as the music spilled out in the parking lot, compelling some to dance a little.

“Ready to cut a rug, ‘chere?” Gambit asked Ororo as they walked into the club.

“Yes, I most certainly am,” Ororo said, swaying to the music, as they made their way to the VIP section. From her seat, she took in everything around her. Below them, she could see many of the clubbers out on the dance floor doing their ‘thang’ as Jubilee would say.

“Come on, guys. We came to party. We can’t do that sitting up here,” Alison better known as Dazzler said, moving the beat.

“I’m waiting for something slower,” Jean said, getting a nod from Scott.

Seeing that most of the team preferred to watch than dance, Ororo decided to enjoy herself. “I’m game,” she said, standing and handing Jean her shawl. Ororo could feel the eyes of her teammates on her again as she walked away from them, wondering what they thought about the back of her dress or lack thereof.

Wow, Logan thought, unconsciously licking his lips, watching Ororo’s every move. From his perch, Logan could see the group as they made their way to the dance floor. As the women walked by, men turned and stared, some even reaching out to touch them, trying to get their attention. Logan growled low in his throat as a man took hold of Ororo’s arm and turned her around. Ready for action, Logan stood just as the guy released her, a look of pain on his face. Smiling, Logan sat back in his chair, oblivious of the glances he was getting from his teammates seated next to him. That’s my girl, he thought, drinking his brew, never taking his eyes off Ororo.

On the dance floor the women chose to dance with each other in a circle. Kurt, wanting to stay close to Kitty, held up the wall near by, keeping a close eye on his girl. Laughing and enjoying the music, the young women were surprise to see their team leader in a festive mood. Ororo, a private person, usually spent her time along in her room, gardening, or taking long walks on the property. It was as if she was another person and they were enjoying the ‘new’ Ororo.

The ‘new’ Ororo moved gracefully to the music, as if she was a part of it. Closing her eyes, Ororo let the soul of the music move through her, changing as it changed, flowing as it flowed, never missing a beat. The music allowed her to release and just be, free from the emotions that have plagued her for the past weeks. Thank you, Goddess, she thought, as she danced, thank your for releasing me.

Up in the VIP section, Forge sat transfixed by the beauty on the dance floor. Deciding that he too was in the mood to dance, Forge excused himself and made his way down to the circle of his teammates. Hank watched his friend as he descended the stairs. Smiling to himself, Hank wished him good luck in his quest to make the beautiful Ororo his.

As Forge moved to get closer to Ororo, she turned and bumped into him. Instinctively, he caught her and held her as she regained her balance.

“Oh Forge. Thank you. I think I got a little carried away,” she said breathlessly in his ear, trying to be heard over the loud music.

“Glad to be of service. I was just about to ask if you would dance with me,” he said and she nodded.

Still holding her, they guided to the rhythm of the music. They moved fluidly together like partners who had been dancing longer than a few minutes. As the songs changed, so did their movements. No word passed between them. Their bodies communicated with the other, his leading hers following without hesitation. Jean, watching with the others from above, smiled happily for her friend, realizing that a night out with a few friends, and the discovery of a new friendship, was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Jean looked at Scott and he nodded, knowing exactly what she wanted. Logan watched as the love birds headed to the dance floor, leaving him and Hank to watch. Watching his friends enjoy themselves, Hank hoped that the night would remain a fun and non-eventful one.

Downing the rest of his beer, Logan slammed down the empty bottle, startling a few people at the nearby tables.

“What’s troubling you, my friend?” Hank asked calmly, used to Logan’s outburst.

“Nuthin’. What somethin’ else to drink?” he grumbled, standing and stretching, his eyes on Forge and Ororo.

“No, thank you,” Hank said, more to himself since Logan had walked away, not waiting for his answer.

As he headed down the stairs, Logan realized why he was angry. He was jealous. Jealous of what, he thought angrily. When he turned the corner, he saw the smile on Ororo’s face and heard her laughter. He knew then when he saw her enjoying herself. He was jealous that someone else could make her do something that he failed to do. Damn it, he thought, slamming his hand down hard on the bar, knocking over drink belonging to the guy nearest to him. The guy looked down at his lap and then up at Logan. Logan, about to apologize, recognized the guy. He realized that the guy was the same guy who he beat up at bar.

“Ya clumsy jerk,” the female next to the guy from the bar exclaimed loudly, drawing the attention of those nearest her, “Why don’t ya watch where you’re going.”

“Sorry, man. My mistake,” Logan started, ignoring the female’s comment, “Would ya like another?”

The guy, wishing the woman would shut up, debated on what to do. He didn’t want to go out like a punk by letting the guy get away with knocking over his drink, but he didn’t want to get another ass whuppin’ either. Before he could make up his mind, the woman decided for him. She thought through her drunken haze that since he wasn’t moving fast enough, she would take matters in her own hands.

“I can’t believe ya let this lil’ fuck, punk ya out like that. Ya gonna take that shit from his stupid ass?” she said, getting unsteadily off her stool, and standing next to her ‘man’ of the moment.

Hearing the woman’s shrill, angry voice over the music, Ororo looked up at the VIP and saw Hank alone. Listening to her intuition, she looked over at the bar and saw the woman yelling at Logan.

“Excuse me, Forge,” Ororo said, abruptly ending their dance, “I have something I need to take care of.” Stepping away from him, she headed in the direction of the escalating one-sided argument. Confused, Forge looked over at Gambit and Rogue who had stopped dancing when Ororo walked away. Shrugging, Gambit went after her with Forge and Rogue in tow.

“Look Alice, let me handle this,” the guy said, getting off his stool and standing between the woman and Logan. As the woman and the man she called Frank started arguing, Logan decided that it wasn’t worth it tonight and started to walk away.

Alice saw Logan as he turned to leave. “Oh no ya don’t, ya bastard,” she yelled, going around Frank and staggering over to Logan. Alice raised her hand to hit Logan from behind but Ororo caught her arm in mid swing.

It seemed as if time stood still as most the club’s attention was now on the statuesque Ororo and the drunken Alice. Logan turned around and was surprised to see Ororo standing there. The rest of the team stood among the crowd, ready for action if needed.

Looking up at the tall black woman, Alice snatched her hand away. Losing her balance, she fell flat on her butt, drawing laughter from the onlookers.

“Look what ya made me do, ya black bitch,” she said, struggling to get up. Frank, watching the whole thing in amazement, decided it was time to get Alice and leave.

“Come on, Alice. Let’s get you home,” he said, helping her to her feet, standing between her and Ororo. Holding her up, Frank turned to Ororo and Logan to apologize. “I’m sorry for the trouble she caused ya. She can’t hold her liquor.”

“We cool?” he asked Logan, holding out his hand.

“Yeah man, we cool,” he replied, shaking it.

Smiling, the guy turned and carried a sleeping Alice toward the door.

The onlookers went back to their dancing, the conflict quickly forgotten as the DJ played a club favorite.

“I think its time to go,” Scott said, coming up to his teammates, getting nods from everyone. Meeting up with Hank who was the unofficial coat carrier, the team headed out in the chilly night, laughing and talking among themselves about the club.

Logan, following the others out, thought about incident and how Ororo had come to his aid. He Not many people would have done what Ro did, he thought, especially without questioning who started it. Maybe I was wrong for not taking the relationship seriously, he thought sadly as they rode through the dark night back to the mansion, as his mind replayed the memory of Ororo face as she and Forge danced.

“Home, sweet home,” Jubilee said as she stepped out of the car, stretching her arms high above her head. Stepping out of the car, Logan looked over as Ororo allowed Forge to help her out the car. Logan watched as Forge whispered something to her that made her laugh out loud, drawing the attention of some of their teammates as they headed into the mansion. Logan growled deep in his throat as that ugly monster called jealousy reared its ugly head again. Trying to think of a way to get Ororo away from Forge, Logan realized he had not thanked her.

Standing near his motorcycle, Logan called to her.

Hearing her name, Ororo looked over at Logan and turned to Forge. “Excuse me, Forge. I need to see what he wants,” she said, an apology in her sky blues eyes.

“Not a problem. I’ll be here when you’re done,” he said smiling.

Nodding, Ororo walked over to Logan, her feet starting to hurt.

“Yes, Logan,” she replied, slipping off her heels.

“Thanks for your help back there.”

“I figured you needed some assistance since I know you don’t hit women. So I decided to step in before you forgot that,” she said smiling, making him smile, “Good night, Logan.”

“It’s good to see ya smiling, Ro,” Logan told her.

“It’s good to have a reason too,” she replied before turning and walking the garage door, where Forge stood waiting patiently.





You must login () to review.