Chap 7: Getting Close


Headed to the kitchen, Ororo smiled greetings to the students she passed in the hallway. Her thoughts were still on the training session with Logan and the kiss they shared. Part of her enjoyed it, seeing it as sign that there was still hope for her and him to be together. Her rational mind dismissed it as Logan taking advantage of the situation and trying to throw a wrench in what ever was going on between her and Forge. Not wanting to deal with either thought right then, Ororo turned her thoughts to more pressing things, getting a cup of much needed coffee.

Pushing open the kitchen door, Ororo was greeted by a chorus of good mornings and a grunt from Cyclops who was still fuming about Logan and the training program. Not wanting to deal with any more mess, Ororo got her cup of coffee and went out on the balcony. Taking a seat, she let the gentle breeze and the bitter liquid take over. Leaning back against the patio chair, Ororo sighed blissfully and closed her eyes, letting her thoughts drift away to a peaceful place as she began meditating.

“Good morning everyone,” Forge said as he and Beast entered the kitchen. Hoping to see Ororo, Forge glanced around to see if he had overlooked her.

“Looking for a Goddess?” Beast whispered to him.

“Was it that obvious?” Forge whispered back.

“Only to me I think. Allow me,” Beast said turning to his seated teammates, “Has anyone seen Ororo this morning?”

“Yes. She came in to get her coffee and headed out to the balcony,” Jean replied, smiling into her coffee cup, sensing the meaning of Beast’s question.

“Thank you, Jean,” he said, bowing slightly in her direction.

Taking the hint, Forge made his way out onto the balcony. As Forge got closer to Ororo, he was amazed to see just how beautiful the Goddess truly was. The morning sun seemed to kiss her skin, making it shine under its assault. The wind’s fingers seemed to comb her hair to frame her face perfectly. Awed by her unconscious beauty, Forge didn’t realize he was staring until Ororo cleared her throat. Embarrassed that he was caught, Forge quickly took a drink of his still hot coffee, burning his tongue.

“Are you okay?” Ororo asked as he struggled with the hot liquid.

“Yes. I thought the coffee had cooled a little but I guess not,” he said sitting in the chair next to her, coughing, trying to get air to cool his tingling insides.

“You sure? Because I could get you some ice or something,” she said standing.

“No, I’m fine,” he said, waving her back in her seat, “Thanks for offering.”

“Sure, no problem,” she said returning to her reclined position, “So…how are things coming along with the modifications?”

“Very well. Hank is joy to work with. Most people get defensive and protective of their work when a new person comes in, but not Hank. He’s very open to suggestions and is a willing participant. I couldn’t ask for more in a partner,” he replied, leaning back in the chair.

“That’s Hank. Always ready to learn anything new. He loves a challenge,” she replied, a smile creasing her face as she thought about her blue friend, “I’m glad to hear that things are going well. The Professor tries to stay on top of the advances in technology so that we are always prepared.”

“So tell me…” they said at the same time. Laughing, Forge nodded to her to begin.

“Well, it appears that great minds do indeed think alike,” she said smiling at him, “Since we are interested in learning more about each other, why don’t we play a game?”

“You don’t seem the type to play games,” he said, remembering the conversations with Hank about her.

Chuckling, Ororo replied, “Most people don’t. Only those close to me get to see that side of me.”

“How did I become so special?” he asked.

“When you showed me that you are a worthy dance partner,” she replied, sipping her now warm coffee.

“Now,” she said returning her cup to its place on the table and turning to face him, “The game is basically twenty questions with a twist. The way it goes is that I ask a question and answer it first then you answer my question. Then you ask a question and answer it first then I answer, etc. etc. Have I lost you?”

“Not yet. From my understanding, if I asked you say, how old you were, I would have to tell you my age and then you…” he began.

“Would not answer your question,” she said, finishing his statement, making him laugh, “I know you know better than to ask a woman that.”

“Well, I want to amend the rules to the game,” he said, smiling mischievously.

“And your amendment is?”

“That you have to answer whatever question is asked.”

“I’m not so sure about that one,” Ororo said, only half “ joking.

“I promise not to get too personal.”

Thinking for a moment, Ororo thought about what harm it could do and decided that she would give it a try, especially since he’s willing to play the game. Its only fair, she thought, smiling at him and nodding her consent.

“Okay, we can add that as a rule.”

“It’s my turn now since you already asked your question,” she told him, laughing at his facial expression, “and you can’t ask that question again.”

“That’s not fair. You didn’t answer my question,” he replied, smiling at her slyness.

“Since you amended the rules after you asked the question, that one doesn’t count.”

Reluctantly conceding to the lady, Forge prepared himself for her questions and came up with a few that he wanted to know.

“Let’s start with some easy stuff. What’s your favorite color?” Ororo asked, tucking her legs under her, getting comfortable, “Mine is sky blue.”

“The same shade as your eyes,” he said without thinking.

Smiling shyly, Ororo said, “So you noticed.”

“You can’t help but notice such a beautiful color. Its one of my favorites but I think brown is my absolute favorite,” he said, smiling, enjoying the shy look on her face, getting caught up in her beauty once again. Breaking eye contact, Forge tried to remember the question he wanted to ask her.

“Okay, my turn. The question is what do you like to do when you are not on duty? I like to go dancing, long walks, write poetry, collect stuff, and invent things.”

“You write poetry. I would love to read some one day,” she said, her interest piqued, almost forgetting to answer the question, “Oh, I almost forgot. I like to work in my garden, take long walks, meditate, read, and write in my journal.”

“So you’re a writer too? I will make sure to share some with you one day if you share some of yours.”

“Maybe,” she told him. This is getting better by the minute, she thought as Forge asked his next question and gave his answer.

After a few rounds of questions, Forge and Ororo started relaxing and enjoying themselves, sometimes laughing out loud at the other’s questions and responses.

Not far from them on grassy lawns, Rogue lay in her swimsuit, trying to get as much sun as she could before the sun grew too unbearable. Hearing laughter, Rogue looked up just in time to see Gambit trying to seek up on her.

“You little seek, were ya trying to scare me?” she asked him as he kissed her on the top of her head.

“Would Gambit do a ting like dat, ‘chere?” he asked, sitting beside her in the grass.

“Yeah,” she said, smiling as his devilish grin spread across his face.

Hearing laughter behind him, he looked up and was surprised to see his Stormie laughing and talking with Forge like they were old buddies. Feeling a twinge of jealously, Gambit turned around and frowned.

Watching him silently, Rogue knew that Gambit didn’t approve of what he saw and she was curious as to why.

“What’s da mattah sugah? Didn’t like what ya saw?” she asked, turning on her side to face him.

“Tis someting about him, ‘chere. Can’t put mah finger on it,” he replied, not looking at her, playing with the grass.

“Could it be that ya think that she’s gonna replace ole Gambit with her new friend?” she asked playfully, realizing her mistake by the look on her boyfriend’s face.

“Stormie nevah replace Gambit. She and me almost blood. That guy, he a stranger,” he said, angrily.

“Okay Remy, it was a joke,” Marie said, trying to calm him down, “Ah didn’t mean anything by it. Come on, let’s get some breakfast.”

Getting to his feet, Remy held out his gloved hand to help his love to her feet. The thoughts of Forge and Ororo were quickly replaced by not-to-nice thoughts of Rogue as she stood, her swimsuit fitting her like a second skin. Whispering his thoughts in her ear, Rogue squatted his arm, blushing red, enjoying the fact that he noticed. He helped her to wrap her towel around her, preventing others from seeing very much of what he had come to think of as his property. I should probably make it official, he thought, as they started walking up the hill to the house.

His thoughts of Rogue and marriage were interrupted as Forge and Ororo broke out into more laughter. Holding hands as they walked, Gambit took another look at the laughing pair and mumbled, “He just tryin to impress her like he did at de club.”

Hearing him, Marie looked at him, amazed at his statement. “You’re the one to talk, mister every-time-I-see-you-I’m-gonna-flirt-and-try-my-luck-by-tryin-to-get-a-kiss,” she said laughing, making him smile.

“It worked, did it not?” he asked, holding the door for her.

“Yeah it did and it may work on Ororo.”

Not if I can help it, Remy thought, following Rogue inside.





You must login () to review.