Chap 8: Logan’s Luck with Females

Logan watched as the woman stood on the edge of the lake. Her laughter, carried by the wind, drifted back to him as he made his way to her. Just as he was about to touch her, the woman waded out into the water, diving under the shimmering surface. Emerging a few feet away, the woman beckoned him to follow her. Logan, unable to see her face, heeded her signal. Taking off his shirt and shoes, he swam out to where she lay floating on her back, her fiery red hair framing her head. Thinking that the woman was Jean, Logan dived under the water. Coming up under her, he pulled her down with him under the water. As she descended, her hair blocked her face. Wiggling free of his hold, the woman swam to the surface. Logan, needing to see her face, was right behind her.

Reaching the surface, Logan was surprised when he didn’t see her. Looking around, Logan spotted her on the shore, wrapped in a towel. Tired of the game, he swam to the shore, ready to confront Jean and ask why she was playing games. Turning her to face him, Logan was shocked that instead of Jean, it was Ororo standing in front of him, her silver hair shimmering in the sunlight. He watched as she started floating backward, her lips moving but no sound came from her mouth. Worried that something was wrong, Logan reached out to her and grabbed her arm. Just ask he was about to ask her what was going on, a jet flew overhead, drowning out her voice. Looking up, Logan saw more jets and bomber planes. Getting a bad feeling about all of this, he turned back to Ororo to find her gone. Afraid something had happened to her, Logan started searching for her, his claws extended. As he rounded the corner of one of the barracks, he could see Ororo and the other X-Men in the distance, running in his direction. He took off toward them, itching for a fight. Just as he and the others met, he saw Ororo take flight and try to buy them time by giving them some cover. Before she could, Logan saw a bright light from the ground and realized that someone had shot at Ororo. Just as he took off running, he could see her falling from the sky. Yelling her name, he watched helplessly as she landed hard on the ground. Running as hard as he could, Logan saw red as he saw someone standing over her about to fire a second time. Just a few more steps, he thought as he leaped at the person, sinking his claws into….

“Wolverine!” Jubilee yelled from his patio deck.

Jumping at the sound of her voice, Logan looked down and realized that he had shredded another pillow. What the hell, he thought, angrily wiping the sweat off his face, as he threw a shirt on. Can’t a man dream his own damn house.

“Wolverine!” Jubilee yelled again, this time knocking loudly on the door.

Yanking the door open, Logan startled Jubilee, causing her to lose her balance. Catching her, he held her out at arms length, an angry scowl on his face. “What the hell you want?” he growled, mad that she woke him.

“You-you-you were la-la-late for our train-train-training session,” she stuttered, scared of the angry look on her friend’s face.

Smelling her fear, Logan released her and turned away. “Sorry, kid,” he mumbled, holding the door open for her to enter, “Come in and have a seat while I get ready.”

“No, I-I-I’m fine out here,” she said turning to go sit on the porch.

Feeling like shit for what he did, Logan knew he would have to do something to make it up to her. Seems like I can’t do nuthin right when it comes to females, he thought, closing the door and going to the bathroom.

Coming out and feeling a little better, Logan didn’t feel like putting the kid through a workout now after what he did. Going out the door, he spied her by the lake, skipping rocks.

“Hey,” he yelled out, walking toward her. Hearing his voice, she jumped and dropped the rock she was about to throw. Damn, I must have scared her bad, he thought, mentally kicking himself for his outburst. Getting closer to her, he could tell that she was nervous and a little afraid.

“Kid, I’m sorry for the way I acted earlier,” he said, facing her, wishing that she would look at him.

“It’s okay,” she said to her feet, not wanting to look up into his face, afraid of what she will see.

“No its not. I really didn’t mean what I said or how I acted,” he said softly, gently lifting her chin with his finger, seeing the beginning of tears in her eyes as she looked at him, still afraid to look in his eyes, “I was dreaming and it was a bad dream and when you woke me up, I felt like I was still in the dream.”

She nodded that she understood but was still unsure about how to act with him. Hating to see that in her eyes, he knew just the thing that would bring a smile to her face and eyes.

“I’m not really feeling like training today. What do you say about us going for a ride on the bike? How does that sound?”

Her face lit up at the mention of the motorcycle. Watching her face brighten and then darken, Logan wondered what could be wrong now.

“Storm said if we didn’t train with you that we would have to do a Level 10 Danger Room session,” she said, sounding a little like herself again.

“Oh really?” he said, hearing that piece of information for the first time, “Don’t worry. I’ll handle that. Come on, let’s go for that ride,” he said, turning in the direction of the mansion. Dropping her rocks, Jubilee caught up with Logan, walking in step with him. Glancing over at her, he remembered the talks they use when she came to live in the mansion many years ago. He realized that it had been a while since they last talked and thought today would be as good as any to start those talks again.

“So how’s school? I heard you were taking Cyke’s Auto Shop class. Learning anything about useful?”

“Not really. He only wants to show us the cars and the trucks. He hasn’t talked about motorcycles yet,” she replied, forgetting her fear, and falling easily into conversation with Logan. She had missed the conversations she use to have with him but with school and her discovery of boys, she hadn’t had time but she hoped that it would change because she missed her friend, even if he scared the beejees out of her today.

They made their way to the garage, deep into their conversation. Reaching the bike, Logan handed her the spare helmet and she smiled up at him, finally accepting his apology. Mounting the bike, Logan held out his hand to help her get on. Revving the bike, they took off down the driveway, Jubilee laughing happily.

Getting back to the mansion a few minutes before her first class, Logan parked the bike and helped her get off. Talking a mile a minute, Jubilee thanked him and said she hoped they could do that again sometime. Handing him back the helmet, she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and ran into the mansion, hurrying to get to Cyke’s class.

Happy that he could make her day after treating her badly, Logan placed the helmets on the bike and headed into the mansion, going straight to the kitchen for some joe.

Ororo hummed as she made her way to the kitchen. Entering the sunlit room, Ororo squinted at the bright light. Once her eyes adjusted to the light, Ororo spied Logan out on the balcony, looking out at the students at they went through their morning workouts. Grabbing a cup from the cabinet, Ororo poured herself some coffee and stepped out on the balcony.

Logan looked over at her as she walked over to stand next to him. When their eyes met, they nodded their greeting and turned their attention to the kids. They stood there in silence, each deep in their own thoughts.

After a few minutes, Ororo glanced at him and asked, “How’s the training going?”

“Good. Everyone has really stepped up. I’m surprised most of them weren’t scared away by the thought of being paired against me,” he said with a smile.

“Well, it was either train with you or face a Level 10 Danger Room session. Most of the team opted to face you rather than face Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil,” she replied, a small smile spreading across her face.

“Well…since you put it like that,” Logan said, laughing making Ororo laugh too, “I would have taken me on too.”

It feel good hearing her laugh, Logan thought, happy that he was the one who made her laugh this time.

A brief silence fell between them as Logan debated on whether to share his dream with Ororo. Deciding to take the chance, Logan turned to face Ororo. Just as he was about to open his mouth, Forge walked out on the balcony, joining them. Great, Logan thought, there goes the damn neighborhood.

“Good morning all,” he greeted them, standing on the other side of Ororo.

“Morning, Forge,” Ororo said, smiling at him, lightly touching his arm.

“Morning,” Logan grumbled, angry that his time with Ororo had been interrupted.

“Hey Logan, how’s the training going?” Forge asked his eyes on Ororo.

“Fine,” Logan replied, nastily, feeling like a third wheel.

“Great. I can’t wait to try my hand at it,” he said, finally looking over at Logan who was headed into the house, hearing the nastiness in Logan’s voice.

“Me neither,” he replied, stepping into the house and slamming the door.

“I don’t think he cares for me,” Forge told Ororo, glancing at the patio door.

“He’s funny like that. It takes a while for him to warm up to people,” she told him, looking out at the grounds, her mind wondering why Logan had to be so rude. What’s with him, she thought, not hearing Forge’s question.

“I’m sorry, Forge. Did you say something?” she asked, facing him, giving him her undivided attention.

“I was asking if you were free to go dancing tonight?”

“Unfortunately, I’m on call tonight. I have to stay at the mansion and be here in case any of the students have a problem,” she said, “Maybe we could go out another night?”

“I’m not sure because this will be my last free night for about a week because Hank and I will be working overtime on the Blackbird’s upgrade and I didn’t want to wait so long to enjoy a night out with you,” he said, bringing a smile to her face.

“I’m sorry, Forge. But I can’t switch because everyone has plans and will be away from the mansion. Maybe we can watch a movie in one of the entertainment rooms?”

“Okay, why don’t you meet me in the entertainment room on the main floor around 8:30?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“See you then,” he said before kissing her on the cheek and going back into the mansion. Mmm, she thought, her fingers touching the place where he kissed her.

Making his way to the subbasement, Forge’s mind raced with thoughts of how he could make the most of the night. The idea came to him as he entered the Danger Room Control Tower. Deep in thought, he didn’t realize that Hank had spoken to him.

“Earth to Forge,” Hank said, chuckling.

“Huh,” Forge said, his eyes focusing on Hank, “Sorry, Hank. My mind was somewhere else.”

“Would it be a certain Goddess?” he said, enjoying the blossoming friendship between his friends.

“Sorta. I wanted to try to take her out since I’m free tonight but she’s on call. I wanted to find a way to bring the dance floor to her without her finding out. Can you help me?”

“Sure. That sounds like fun. However, I think we will need to enlist the services of our resident party expert,” he said, his eyes gleaming mischievously.

“Who?”

“Her,” Hank said, pointing through the glass at Dazzler and she and Jubilee went thought an obstacle course.

“So you think we can pull it off,” Forge said, getting more excited as his idea took shape.

“Without a doubt. She will love it.”

Bending their heads, together, Forge and Hank started working out the details of the “party”. Thirty minutes later, Dazzler came in and they filled her in on the surprise and she was eager to help and knew some others who would pitch in. Soon, everyone knew their roles and the plans were underway.





You must login () to review.