Chap 9: A Party to Remember

At the appointed time, Ororo sat on the couch, aimlessly flipping through the channels as she waited for Forge to arrive. Tonight had been a peaceful night. The kids did what they were told without the usual grumblings and arguments or on rare occasions, sneaking out, taking a vehicle and taking a trip to the local night club.

Relaxing back against the fluffy pillows, Ororo felt the air shift and without looking knew that someone had entered the room. Ororo looked up to see Kurt Wagner walking around the couch to sit next to her.

“Hey Kurt. Why aren’t you and Kitty studying?” she asked, looking back at the TV.

“We’re taking a break,” he replied, his eyes on the TV.

“Is everything okay?” she asked.

“Yeah. Ah need to show you something,” he finally said, his German accent very pronounce.

“Okay. What is it?” she asked, turning her body to face him.

“This!” he said, grabbing her hand and transporting her to the Recreation Room where everyone yelled surprise as they appeared.

“Oh my Goddess,” Ororo said, her hand going to her mouth as she looked around at the decorations and the smiling faces, her eyes resting on Forge, asking for an explanation.

Understanding her silent question, he stepped forward, and started explaining, “Well, since I couldn’t take you to the dance floor, I decided to bring the dance floor and the party here to you. I hope you like it.”

Amazed that he would go to such lengths to do something for her, she thanked the Goddess for bringing this man into her life, as he held out his hand. She took it, eager to show her gratitude by joining him on the crowded dance floor.

For the next two hours or so, everyone danced, ate, and had a good time. To the students’ amazement, Ororo didn’t send anyone to bed. Instead, she, when not on the dance floor herself, encouraged them to dance and have fun, knowing that an opportunity like this doesn’t happen very often.

When Forge turned her, Ororo looked at the mounted clock and saw that it was after eleven, way past the kids’ curfew.

“It’s late. Its time to end the party,” she whispered in Forge’s ear and he nodded. Stepping away from him, she looked around and saw that Scott and Jean had entered the room. Even from where she stood, Ororo could see the look of disapproval on Scott’s face. Just as she was headed over to the stereo to turn it off, Scott beat her to it and literally pulled the plug, silencing the loud music, getting some nasty looks from some of the students.

“Everyone in bed, now,” he shouted angrily. Startled by his outburst, the kids did as they were told, filing out of the room, chattering about the party and its abrupt ending.

Ororo reached him just as he yelled at the kids again. She waited until all the students were gone before she spoke.

“Scott, was that really necessary?” she asked calmly, as Forge, Jean, and Hank joined them.

“Obviously, it was. Someone had to be the authority figure and make sure the kids got to bed at a decent hour rather than letting them party all damn night,” he replied nastily.

“Excuse me, but they are only an hour late for curfew and it wasn’t like they were here by themselves. Hank, Forge and I have been here the entire time.”

“And besides, Scott, it wasn’t her fault. It was my idea and I take full responsibility for it,” Forge interjected.

“Was I talking to you?” Scott replied, still glaring at Ororo, ignoring the shocked looks of the others.

“I don’t care whose idea it was or wasn’t. It was her responsibility and she didn’t do what she was supposed to do. The Professor will hear about this,” he said before he bumped into her as he made his way to the door.

Wondering who was still up at this time, Logan walked into the room just in time to hear Scott’s last sentence and see him bump into Ororo. Growling, Logan started to head over to join them. A few feet away from them, Logan noticed that Ororo’s eye’s had changed colors and knew that Scott had gone too far.

“Wait one damn minute,” she said, angrily, stopping him with a strong wind, “You had your chance to speak, now its mine.”

Turning him around to face her, she walked closer to him, her arm outstretched, eyes flashing. “I have had it with your tantrums. Every time something doesn’t go your way, you pitch a fit, when there are other ways to deal with the issue. And you call yourself a leader,” she said, sensing his anger and seeing the red glow of his eyes, “The next time you disrespect me, I promise that you will feel pain as you never have.”

Dropping her arm, the wind released Scott from its hold, and he landed on his knees, his hand on his visor.

“Why wait? No time like the present,” he called out to her, his eyes glowing bright red.

Tired of suppressing her anger, she turned to face him, electricity crackled at her finger tips as that air in the room thicken. “That’s fine with me,” she said taking a step closer to him.

Knowing they were about to do something they would regret later, the other team members stepped in to stop their co-captains from attacking each other.

“No. Ororo, please don’t do this. It’s not worth it,” Forge said, taking a step closer to her, trying to draw her attention away from Scott.

Jean, following his lead, spoke up, “Scott, stop this. It is a misunderstanding, nothing to fight about,” Jean said, looking from one to the other. When he didn’t respond, she spoke to him mentally.

Scott, please don’t take your anger out on Ororo. I’m the one you’re mad at, not her. Stop this, please, she pleaded mentally watching as he registered what she said. Realizing what he was about to do, he looked at Jean, his eyes dimming as he stood.

I messed up, didn’t I, he projected back to her.

“Yeah, you did but luckily for you, she’s a person who forgives. I’m not sure how long it will take, but she will eventually,” she said out loud, looking over at Hank and Forge as they talked to Ororo, trying to calm her down, “Why did you act like that? You have never been one to disrespect someone or question someone’s judgment especially not Ororo’s.”

“I’m not sure. I just haven’t been myself lately,” he said, running his hands through his hair, looking over at Ororo, who had calmed down a little and was talking to the others. Feeling as if he was being watched, Scott looked toward the door and saw Logan staring at him, a scowl on his face.

“Great, even he saw it,” Scott told Jean, and she looked over at the door and saw Logan leaving the room, “I just want this night to be over.”

Something told him to talk to Ororo and apologize tonight but Scott, knowing that now was not the time, Scott decided it was best to just leave and sleep on it. He would speak with her tomorrow when they both have had time to calm down and become their rational selves again.

“Come on, let’s go to bed,” he said, taking Jean’s hand and leading her to the door. Holding it open for her, Scott looked back over at Ororo and their eyes met for a second before Ororo looked away. Sighing, Scott knew that tomorrow would be a long day. Better get some rest, he thought, following Jean as they made their way to their respective rooms.

That Jackass, Ororo thought, though she was not one to call people out their name unless they deserved it. She looked away from him and tried to turn her attention to her friends as they continued their attempts to calm her down.

“Thank you, my friends. I’m fine now,” she said, forcing a smile.

Glancing at Hank, who nodded, Forge asked her, “Are you sure?”

“Yes. And besides,” she said, her smile still in place, “It’s late and we all have an early start tomorrow. So we all need our rest.”

“Okay but at least let me walk you to your room,” Forge said.

“No, no. You go on. I’ll be okay,” she said, hoping he would take the hint.

He did but Forge really wanted to be there for her. Just as he was about to insist, Hank touched his arm, shaking his head, signaling that he should let it go and just leave.

Giving up, Forge nodded to his friend. Hank told them good night and headed to his room.

Alone now, Forge turned back to Ororo. “I’m sorry for the trouble I caused tonight,” he said, kissing her on the cheek. Whispering good night, he turned and left, leaving before Ororo could respond.

Ororo gave Forge a five minute head start before leaving the room, taking the elevator down to the subbasement. Entering the Danger Room’s Control Tower, she was glad to see that she was alone. She knew that Logan used the Danger Room when he needed to relax and release some stream. Tonight, she would be the one releasing steam.

Customizing a program, Ororo changed into her workout clothes and entered the Danger Room. Starting the program, the room changed into her battle field. She waited until saw the red eyes of her opponents before taking flight and releasing a barrage of hail stones. The Cyclops clones retaliated by blasting through the cloud of hail, destroying some but the ones they missed took out their targets, causing the clones to disappear. Some of the clones took aim at her as she moved through the air, easily dodging their beams, counterattacking with lightning bolts. A few of the clones finally got smart and started firing on the area above her, causing the bricks of the virtual building fall on her, trapping her in a make shift prison.

Storm tried very hard to make herself realize that it was just a mirage but her rising panic overshadowed all rational thought and her emotions got the best of her. Knowing that there was nothing she could do to stop it, Storm did what she came into the Danger Room to do, she released the pent up frustration that she has carried around with her for the last few weeks.

She felt as if someone else had taken over her body as the rocks that entrapped her flew in many directions are she broke free of her prison and she unleashed a series of powerful storms upon her opponents. She could see some of the clones floating through the wind as if they were light as a feather before slamming into a wall. Some of the other clones, still intent of fighting back, were vaporized by the lightning bolts flowing from Storm’s fingers. The remaining clones were no match for the hail stones the size of bowling balls as they rained down upon them. Once all of the clones had been destroyed and the program ended, Storm floated down to the ground, spent and exhausted.

Without looking up, she sensed that she was not alone. She knew that Logan had witnessed her Danger Room session. Still in her mode, Storm walked back to the Control Tower. As the doors slid open, she was shocked to see that instead of Logan, Forge sat in the control chair. Hearing the doors slide open, he turned to face her, an unreadable expression on his face. Storm stood in the doorway, feeling that she should explain but not in the mood too. She just wanted to get the tape from the session so that she could review it. In order to do so, though, she would have to get past Forge.

Forge sat looking at Storm, feeling like he really didn’t know her, even after all the conversations they have had. The sheer power of the storms that she produced troubled him, although he knew she was a powerful mutant.

Not knowing what to say, he sat there, hoping that she would explain what happened, but knowing what he did about her, she wouldn’t until she was ready. And he didn’t think she was, at least not tonight.

“I’m sorry you had to witness that,” she said, stepping into the room and going to the recording console, “I just want to get the tape from the session.”

Getting it, Storm headed back out. Before she could get through the door, Forge called her name. Turning back to him, she waited for him to speak again.

“What happened in there?” he asked nothing else coming to mind.

Storm, smiling a simple smile, replied, “That is what happens when Mother Nature is in an I-don’t-give-a-fuck mood.” With that, she stepped out of the room, leaving Forge wondering who Ororo truly was.





You must login () to review.