Chap 2: Enter Forge

Logan rolled over onto his back, covering his eyes to block out the bright sunlight. Preferring the boathouse to main house because of his acute senses, Logan sat up slowly and held his head in his hands, trying to massage away the pounding headache. Cursing under his breath, Logan got up and headed to the kitchen to brew some coffee and get his day started. As he filled the coffee maker, his thoughts drifted back to last night at the bar.

Trying to drown out the image of Ororo’s sad eyes, Logan had spent much of the night downing beers and looking for an excuse to release his pent up anger on some unsuspecting trucker. Nothing biting, he thought, as he downed the last of his last beer and grabbed his coat. As he slipped his other arm in the sleeve, he hit something solid and turned to apologize. Before he could speak, a fist connected with his jaw, sending him backwards. Finally, he thought, getting to his feet and facing the monster of man who sent him sailing.

“Next time watch what you doing, muthafucka,” the trucker yelled out, drawing the attention of the bar’s other patrons. Sensing a fight, the others surrounded the men, ready to watch someone get bloody.

“Ya just made my night, bub. Ya wanna fight?” Logan said as he walked toward the man who towered over him, “Ya picked the right one.”

The bigger they are, the harder they hit the floor, Logan thought as he dodged the giant’s swinging fist and landed two solid punches and a swift kick to the guy’s gut. Knocking the wind out him, Logan followed through with a series of jabs and a sweet right upper cut that knocked the giant out cold.

“Anyone else lookin’ for ah fight,” he asked the spectators, none of which took the bait. Satisfied, Logan straightened his jacket, spat on the floor, and headed out the door. Climbing onto his bike, Logan cursed under his breath, thinking that he had lost his buzz. Oh well, he thought, at least I got some exercise.

Smiling at his thoughts, he poured himself a cup of joe and went out on the deck. Taking in the beautiful scenery, the sight reminded him of Ororo. “Damn,” he said to the lake, “I really fucked up this time.”

Allowing the sun to warm her skin, the woman once revered as a goddess, leaned on the railing of the balcony, looking out over the vast grounds of the estate. Calling forth the warm winds from the south, Ororo took flight, her silky robe trailing fluttering in the wind behind her. She had gotten to the edge of the lake when Professor Xavier contacted her telepathically.

Storm.

Yes, Professor.

Please report to the War Room. There is someone I would like the team to meet.

Sure, Professor. I will be there shortly.

Turning back, Ororo rode the winds back to her balcony, her thoughts still gliding on the winds.

The members of the elite team of mutants took their seats around the circular table in the room affectionately called the War Room. Professor Charles Xavier, the founder of the team, took his place at the center of the table and waited silently, flaked by his guest. A few minutes later, all of the team members had assembled except for two.

“We will give the others a few more minutes before we start. Team, I want you to meet Forge. He is a mutant with a very interesting ability but we will hear more about it later. In the meantime, let’s start with introductions,” Xavier said, nodding to Cyclops to start.

Making her way downstairs, Ororo hoped she wasn’t too late since she had to fly back to the mansion and quickly change clothes. As the elevator doors opened in the subbasement, Ororo could see Logan coming from the Danger Room, a towel draped around his shoulders.

Pulling to her full height, Ororo stepped out and headed to the War Room, Logan falling in step with her. They acknowledged each other with a nod and silently walked together to the briefing. At the door, Logan, being a gentleman, allowed Ororo to walk inside ahead of him. Fighting the impulse to watch her luscious rear, Logan turned his attention to the Professor who smiled at their entrance.

“Aw, here they are. Forge, I would like for you to meet Storm, the team’s other captain,” Xavier said, nodding to Storm as she took her seat, “and Wolverine.” Each nodded their greeting.

“I learned of Forge through Moira on Muir Island. He has been a big help to her in her research. With his assistance, Moira now has the equipment to further her research on genetic mutations as well as a security system to protect it. Because of this, Forge has been asked to join us as a consultant to help enhance our technology so that we are better equipped to deal with the troubles we face on a day to day basis,” Xavier said, his eyes going from face to face, coming to rest on Beast, the resident genius, “Beast, I would like for you and Forge to work together on making the improvements around the mansion.”

Nodding his consent, Beast stood and shook hands with Forge, “It will be a pleasure working with you, sir. You reputation precedes you.”

“As does yours, Dr. McCoy.”

“Team, in order for this to be a success, we will need participation from everyone. Please help these two gentlemen with whatever they need because in the end, we all will benefit from their work,” Xavier said, looking around, getting nods from most of the team. “Storm and Cyclops, I need to speak with you. Everyone else, you are dismissed.”

Storm watched as the other team members filed out of the room, some of them headed for the Danger Room for practice, while the others were off to do their own things. Feeling like she was being watched, she looked over into the questioning eyes of Gambit, who stood near the door, watching her. Storm, reading his eyes, nodded, letting him know that she was okay. He responded with a nod of his own and headed out the door.

Storm sat expectantly as she and Cyclops waited for the Professor to speak.

“I would like to make some changes in the way we train,” the Professor began, his hands coming together under his chin in a prayerful poise.

“What do you mean, Professor?” Scott asked, sitting straighter in his seat. His body language told them he had taken offense to the Professor’s statement.

“I’m not trying to imply that the Team’s training regiment not sufficient. Nor am I questioning to your decisions regarding the Team,” Xavier responded, holding Cyclops gaze, to show him that he was sincere. Seeing that Cyclops understood, Xavier continued.

“What I would like for us to start doing is to do more hand to hand combat training. It seems that there is some technology out there that can neutralize our mutant powers, rendering them useless. So in order to better prepare ourselves for battle, we need to be able to not only control our mutant powers but also to fight as if they didn’t exist.” Xavier paused looking from one captain to the other, seeing if what he was saying was sinking in.

“That’s a very good idea, Professor. Who would be our trainer?” Storm asked.

“I haven’t talked to him yet, but I think that Wolverine would be the best choice since he is a master in many forms of martial arts.”

“You can’t be serious, Professor?” Cyclops said angrily, standing, “He has a problem with authority and he’s not dependable. What happens when he has one of his episodes and runs off again?”

“Scott, please calm down. I know you have had your problems with him in the past, but I think that Wolverine will understand the seriousness of his appointment.”

“I agree, Professor. He may be hot headed sometimes but he knows when to keep cool,” Storm replied, adding more fuel to Cyclops’ anger.

“Of course you would say that,” Cyclops spat at her, looking down at her, his eyes glowing through his visor.

“And what is that suppose to mean?” Storm asked, standing, the challenge in his voice loud and clear.

“It means that you would agree to anything regarding Wolverine since you’re in a relationship with him.”

“Scott, you are out of order,” Xavier told him angrily, trying to diffuse the situation, “I will not have you take your frustrations out on Storm. You will apologize to her right now.”

“No, Professor,” Storm replied turning to her mentor, “He only said what he felt.” Turning back to a fuming Cyclops, she told him, “If you must know, I am no longer in a relationship with Wolverine. Even if I was, I would still agree with the Professor because Wolverine is the Team’s best choice if we are to be victorious in the field. Now if you will excuse me, gentlemen,” she replied before she walked past Cyclops and exited out the door.

“Scott, what has come over you?” Xavier asked, still angry at his outburst.

“I don’t feel that he is the right choice, Professor,” Cyclops said, sitting down.

“Its not your choice to make. As the founder of this team, my decision is final. You still have a lot to learn, Scott. You may want to think about your actions today. You are letting your personal biases affect your decisions for the Team. Like I have told Wolverine many times, there is no room on this team for personal grudges. I would suggest that you either let yours go or learn how to keep it from affecting your decisions for the team. If not, I will have to relieve you of your responsibilities,” Xavier told him before he headed out the door.





You must login () to review.