Early the next morning Adrienne awoke to the sun touching her face with it’s fresh rays; drawing her out of bed, into the daylight.

She crawled out of bed and changed into her running clothes, She grabbed her IPOD and turned on some Enrique. Her left leg reached for one side of the room as her right reached for the other. Enrique’s song “Push” pounded in her ears and she smiled remembering Jonathan the night before. They had been more sophisticated than grinding, but salsa was just as passionate.

She closed her eyes as her stretch deepened, and his muscular body and his hands on her hips flashed through her mind. She chastised herself;'gods she barely knew the man and she was attracted to him.' She pulled out of her stretch and softly opened the sliding glass door and started jogging.

In her mind she began rehearsing the day’s work to be done. Today they were going out to the desert, searching through an old unknown pyramid, the plans had been sent from their client three days ago. Today was the day. Adrienne wasn’t to fond of their employer but in their line of work, you took what was necessary. They first had to meet their client, another fact that Adrienne wasn’t to keen on.

The ocean surf reached her feet as she ran her body fighting the wind blowing against her, cooling her and making her sweat at the same time. It’s fingers whipped at her ponytail caressing and pulling out. Adrienne closed her eyes and listened to the rhythm of her heart. An hour later she ran into their hotel room; her roommates were awake, Kitty and Marie drinking coffee with Ororo looking over the plans for the day. Adrienne smiled and nodded to the coffee pot.

“Save some of that for me.”

She took a shower and then joined the other three women. Ororo spoke first.

“This job isn’t going to be easy, the tomb has never been cracked. Adrienne we have no idea what we are going to be up against.”

“I thought we were going to be doing a pyramid.” Kitty said.

“We are Kitty, the ancient Egyptians usually buried their dead in pyramids. Same same.”

“Ohh ok.”

Adrienne shook her head and laughed.

“I’m glad you are the business manager.”

“Hey I am a damm good business manager, and on top of that I can handle a mean gun. I hate doing jobs for other people.”

“We all do Kit-Kat, but this one’s after one thing, we get it and get to keep the rest. An unbroken tomb should yield some good profit.”

“That’s true Asheia.”

Adrienne grinned.

“You love using my African name don’t you?”

Kitty grinned saucily.

“ Yes, and wouldn’t Mr. Drop Dead love to know that name.”

Adrienne growled.

“Hey, all of you were treating the other three just as I was treating mr tall dark and handsome.”

Ororo chuckled.

“Children….”

All three rolled their eyes.

“Yes mommy.”

Ororo stuck out her tongue.

“ON a more serious note I think I have seen Logan and Jonathan somewhere. I mean I am a woman and I wouldn’t forget a body like Logan’s.”

Adrienne scrunched her nose.

“Where?”

“I don’t know, but I mean to find out.”

Adrienne nodded.

“They are handsome as hell, but ladies remember who we are, our cover, and we do need to be careful.” They all nodded in agreement. “Come on load up, we are going to be late.”

The four women sprang into action, they all wore various styles and colors of clothing. Ororo preferred all white, Adrienne all black, Kitty preferred baby blue, and Marie preferred all red. Each member of the team carried six guns, with a clip shoulder holder that carried ten extended clips of their gun of choice. They each carried a sword or knife of choice.

Adrienne shoved her Katanas into her knee high boot, Ororo shoved her staff in the bag, the ends containing Adamantium blades, Kitty carried two sets of butterfly knives and Marie put her twin hooks in her bag. They headed to the Jeep and their meeting.

The meeting took place in a deserted club on the outskirts of Cairo. The four women walked in; the bartender smiled.

“Your meeting is on the fourth floor, there is an elevator to your left.”

Adrienne nodded.

“Thank you.”

The four women had masks over their faces to protect their identity. When they got into the elevator, Adrienne began to feel uneasy.

“Kit-Kat who is this guy?”

“It’s a women actually, She runs the underground in Cairo. Sounded nice enough on the phone.”

“Well do me a favor, don’t take an assignment based on someone’s voice.”

“Adrienne.. everything’s fine.”

“For the moment.”

The elevator doors opened and the four women saw a long corridor in front of them, the darkness only tainted by the occasional light. They were met by two large armed men.

“This way please.” One of them gruffly said.

They were led down the corridor and into a large room. A women turned and greeted them with a smile.

“Welcome. It’s nice to meet my new scavengers." Her eyes met thier's briefly." My name is Marie Antoinette. Here is the item I want. Everything else is yours. This is the tomb of Artaxerxes, it has never been opened. Yes it is the Persian lord, why he is buried in an Egyptian tomb I will never know." The paperwork was handed to Adrienne who opened and began skimming it. " A short history lesson, the Persians often added toxic gases in the chambers of the dead as well as many traps. Be careful. If I find out you double crossed me I will kill you without a second thought. Your pay is three million each. I need the artifact by next Tuesday. Here is a half a mil for each of you, you’ll get the other half when you bring me the item. You will be missing your dinner appointment tonight so I set up a note to excuse you." At the small sound fo protest from Kitty Marie Antionette smiled. " Don’t be so surprised, I had to check you out before you worked for me. Now go.”

The four women were escorted out of the room, back through the long corridor and out the door. They got in the Jeep and Adrienne began driving towards their destination.

“What do we know of Artaxerxes?” Kitty asked

“Well he was the ruler of Persia, his predecessor was Xerxes, he defeated Euromydum and was at war with Athens. He was brutal he weakened Athens by funding the greeks. Biblically he was portrayed as the man who put Ezra, the jewish scribe, in charge of the Jewish nation and the rebuilding of the temple of Solomon. All of which was begun before by Cyrus the Great. Pharoah died the same year Artexerxes did. It has been suggested that they were one in the same. The treasures of the temple of Solomon were restored to the jews by Cyrus.”

Adrienne interrupted Ororo.

“What did the client ask for?”

“A box, inscribed with gold, we’ll know it when we see it. That’s all she asked for.”

“Is is the ark of the covenant Ro?”

“No, it a wooden box inscribed with gold. I would guess it holds the seals of the Persian dynasty up to Artexerxes.”





You must login () to review.