After traveling for ten hours Adrienne glanced down at the clock, at this point the desert all looked the same to her. She rubbed her eyes and looked at the clock. It was eleven o clock, her friends were passed out in their seats. She sighed and brought the jeep to a halt.

The desert nights were customarily colder than the warmth of the days, and each of them had donned a jacket and gloves. Her breath came out in a white cloud as the moon illuminated the darkness.

Adrienne’s eyes searched the desert for any warning signs. She heard the high pitched laughter of a jackal off in the distance as a pack of them were shown by the moons touch. She closed her eyes and listened to the sound of the earth beneath her; her fingers thrumming with the power brought on by the sand around her.

The wind tossled her hair as she waited. When her eyes opened green eyes pierced the night as her night vision kicked in. She heard the thrum of the lizards under rocks, the jackals miles away, she heard their heartbeats and her teeth grew longer. She felt the rush of the spring about a hundred yards below her feet and smiled.

Adrienne walked back to the jeep and grabbed the lantern out of the back and turned it on, then began to set up their tents, after starting a crackling fire, Ororo awoke and joined her carrying sleeping bags and a cooler.

“Where are we?”

“About three hundred miles out. According to the map we have another hundred to go, it’s going to be an early morning. There’s a spring about a hundred yards down if we run out of water. I assume we brought enough food?”

Ororo nodded smiling at her sister’s powers.

“I love how you can read the earth.”

“I just manipulate the organic sister, an understanding of the earths cry and song is a result of that.”

“So basically you’re being modest love, you can
manipulate things at a subatomic level.”

Kitty and Marie broke into their conversation and piled into the tent and fell asleep. Adrienne made a small meal for her and Ororo and waited for Ororo to head to bed.

“you’re going to keep vigilance tonight aren’t you?”

“Yes. Someone has to do it.”

“You drove all day let me.”

“I’ll stay awake for two hours then you can take over.”

“agreed.”

Adrienne smiled as she watched her sister’s beautiful form walk into the tent. She walked to the jeep and grabbed the book they had been given and started reading it. It was in ancient Egyptian, and another language that Adrienne didn’t understand. After an hour she understood and had finished the book, it was Persian mythology.

A wisp of wind began to disturb the fire’s constant crackling and as she looked up she saw a shadow of a man off in the distance. Adrienne got up , setting the book aside and ran in the direction of the shadow. The shadow alerted by her presence seemed to disappear, it’s hissing wind like voice whispering for her to stay away. Adrienne pulled her gun and walked back to camp. Ororo, awake at this point noticed her sisters distress.

“What?”

“Nothing, just tired. Keep watch.”


The shadow watched from a distance, the fire was crackling and the ancient words were being spoken. He had been assigned to watch, to guard, to save his people. He crouched on the dune. He could feel her heartbeat, could feel the breath coming in and out of her lungs. She was the one, she was the chosen. He felt the other’s closeness to. There was such a difference in men and women. They had met, and that alarmed him, but he knew al things would be well. All would be well. The girl sensed him, and the knife began to protrude itself from it’s sheath on his hand. He hissed her to leave him; it wasn’t time. Not yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Early the next morning the girls arrived at the sight. Before them was the desert, the wind blowing the sand across their faces. Adrienne sighed and walked about a hundred yards from the jeep. There was nothing out here. Marie called to her.

“Look Sug, heres the map.It looks like the entrance is about 200 yards in that direction.”

“well let’s get started. Load up.”

Adrienne grabbed her six guns and put them in each of their holsters, her katana was shoved into it’s holster at her side and the other knives were stowed on her person. Each of the girls grabbed their weapons, shouldered their pack and walked into the desert. Two hundred yards later Adrienne spotted a rock.

She studied the rocks surface, seeing a hole and sucking in her
breath, she stuck her hand into the crack and pulled a lever, the sand fell away to reveal an entrance bearing the seal of the pharaoh. Adrienne drew her gun and entered the tomb carefully. Ororo’s eyes flitted to the large wide open space.

They started out on the base level, looking up. The tomb itself was completely buried underground, and was built in a square circular fashion. You could only go to the next level after you had passed through the traps on the floor below.

Adrienne looked up to find that there were about ten stories of the tomb around them. They stood in the center, off to her right was a small entrance to the second level. Adrienne groaned. Ororo called out.

“Adrienne come here.” Adrienne walked over to where she stood bending over an ancient book. “The language is a mix between ancient Egyptian and Persian writing. It tells a story.”

“The book Marie Antoinette gave us has similar writing, it isn’t Persian, it’s another language.”

Ororo raised an eyebrow.

“it is?”

“Yes, I am unsure as to what it is yet. We’ll find out in time. Let’s move.”

Ororo raised an eyebrow at her sister’s intensity. There was something bothering Adrienne and it left Ororo concerned.

Adrienne moved toward the door drawing her gun, Ororo followed.





You must login () to review.