Chance Encounters….

The tunnels under New York City vary in length and depth, dug over the last two hundred years. These endless tunnels stretch over hundreds of miles and are called home by rats, other animals, and the forgotten of society. It is also a place where a friend recently died and three people have come here to investigate. They are WOLVERINE, STORM, and the BLACK PANTHER. It was here in this room deep under New York where Jack Michaels also known as Refle-X was killed.

“I’m gett’n conflict’n scents here ‘Ro.” Logan replies dressed in his black and silver X-Force uniform. It’s eyes glowing red, leaving an onlooker uneasy.

“What do you mean old friend?” Asks Ororo as she walks the room. Her husband scanning the area with his technology.

“The scents change. What I do know is an extremely high energy field was here.”

“I’m getting an energy signature that belongs in the range of a cosmic powered being.”
T’Challa says as he reads his scanner.

“How many of those do we know though just between we three?” Responds Ororo as she looks at the dried husk of none other than what appears to be MR. SINISTER.

“Chances are who else knew Jack was here.” Logan answers creating a pun with his supposed son’s name.

“That was creative Wolverine.” T’Challa has a slight smirk under his mask, as he responds to the joke.

“How do you know it was him Wolverine?” Ororo’s voice has a slight emotional twang to it. Both Logan and T’Challa catch it.


The man’s name is Remy Lebeau better known to the world as Gambit. Once he was a thief, an X-Man, a horseman of Apocalypse, and a Marauder. He has faced many foes in his life but none like this. This man seems to know more about him than many others, and worse he can easily track the elusive cajun.

“Who are ya Mon Ami?’ Gambit asks his foe as he narrowly dodges a cosmically enhanced energy blast.

“Rembrandt make it easier on yourself. Death comes for you.” Chance replies as he smirks…”Sorry about the bad pun old man.”

“Sorry bout dis boy.” Remy throws a kinetically charged blast at his opponent only to see it dissipates as it nears the man named Chance, the cosmically enhanced mutant son of Logan and Storm.

“Great another energy absorber. As if Bishop was not enough.” Gambit then begins to throw more bolts of kinetic fire, though not at his foe but toward the ceiling above.

As the debris falls down, its target seems to vanish and Gambit appears in his place. The wieght of the ceiling collapses upon a shocked Gambit. “NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!”

Chance turns around toward the scream to see Rogue charging him. She comments to this flying charge only to see her target seemingly disappear. In reality, though Chance moves at such a high velocity that it only appears he teleports. She feels a hand grab hold of her ankle as her momentum is changed in mid air. She is flung effortlessly through a wall and before she can recover, she feels an incredible impact as she changes direction again. She is dazed, hardly able to understand where she is or can place a coherent thought before she feels another impact much like what the Hulk could do. After this second one, she only knows the blackness of the unconscious mind.

Chance looks back to see Gambit barely alive under the rubble. He walks over to his fallen opponent and opens his hand, than an energy blast is released. Gambit is vaporized instantly, leaving a blast mark and melted stone.

“Who are you?” Asks the burning plasma furnance called Sunfire.

“I was wondering why you didn’t join the battle Sunfire.”

“Who are you?”

“Chance Howlett.”

“Why did you kill Gambit but not Rogue?”

“He was not who he appeared to be.”

"What?"

"As are you." Chance releases an energy blast that completely disintagrates the man called Sunfire.

************





You must login () to review.