Symbols:
*…*= thoughts, usually of the last speaker
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

The next evening:

Ororo wandered into the party, mostly out of curiosity and pressure from Bobby. As she mingled with the family, reassuring everyone that she was fine on rest leave and grabbed a punch, she looked for somewhere to perch herself.
Remy was sitting on the couch, which was crowded with everyone trying to sit on the single most comfortable seating, his face absently turned out the window. Below, the wind roughly whistled through branches and jackets as students made their way briskly to their destinations. Ororo watched him for several minutes before he became aware of her close presence. As he did, he stood and drew her close into an embrace. He lost his seat in seconds.
“Is a good party non?” he asked her. “’Cept de no alcohol rule.”
“Mmhmm,” she murmured. “Remy I noticed you look a million miles away. What’s on your mind?”
“Hmm, you kno’ me, always got a scheme goin’ on,” he told her, they walked away from the center of the party. She laughed gently and decided to not push it, instead she squeezed his hand, trapped in her entwined arm, and changed the subject.
“Any idea why Jubilee and Bobby needed to have a party tonight? I shouldn’t even be here, I’m supposed to be resting,” Ororo paused, watching her dearest friend. “Remy I fucked a pig last week and smeared the shit in your drink.”
“Hm,” Remy answered, again miles away.
“Remy,” Ororo said, her voice mildly stern. “That’s it-”
At that second, Jubilee gave a shout as a few gatecrashers attempted to, well, gatecrash.

Pietro poked at the shrimp casserole leftover, dubious at his choice of food providing for the potluck. He couldn’t remember if he had put the pot in the fridge the night before and the fish had an off smell. Putting his hand through his hair, he sucked in his breathe as he looked up to where Kitty had just entered with a friend. She was blinking, the light change drastic, and he watched her unobserved for a few seconds before slipping away.
A simple black dress hugged her curves and her curly hair spilled over her shoulders in a sexy way he couldn’t place. Seconds after these fleeting glances he knew she would be looking for him. Gulping, he went to see if he could help in the kitchen.

Skulking through the hallways Pietro discovered Henry, his head bent over a sheet of paper in one of the foyer benches.
“Henry!” he called, pleased with the opportunity for distraction.
Henry did not look up.
“Henry?” Pietro called again, wondering if maybe something was wrong.
“Have you ever made such a complete and total fool of yourself?” Henry asked, his voice a whisper.
Pietro sat down beside him, his hands slowly rubbing his knees. “Ah, yes. Just now actually. Why?”
Pietro knew instinctively that it was not him being talked about.
“I, I-I had an affair with a married man.” There was delayed shock and awe in Henry’s voice as he spoke.
Pietro had known that Henry had come out to the group a long time ago but he’d never met anyone he’d been involved with. On principle, Pietro disapproved of cheating but perhaps even McCoy could be fooled. Perhaps he hadn’t known his partner was married?
“Is this why you’ve been home? We’ve wondered. We, I thought you were happy with the Avengers. The last time we spoke-”
“The last time we spoke my friend,” Henry interrupted him. “I was in the throes of a passionate affair. He’s so so married. It’s sick really but I don’t think I would have gone through the trouble of seducing him if he hadn’t been.”
Pietro stared at the wall in front of him in shock. He didn’t quite know what to say to that.
“I thought it must have been a mistake,” he started.
Henry passed him the letter after a few minutes of silence. Pietro was unsure of whether Henry needed comfort and whether Pietro should even be the one giving it. He had his own girlfriend back in Russia waiting for him and a dear friend, who obviously wanted more, right beside him. Perhaps some strong advice was in order but Pietro knew he shouldn’t be the one giving that either. Instead he needed it. He read the letter, it wasn’t long.

McCoy-

Fuck off, this crazy homo thing with my husband is over. Now. He regrets every second. I seriously suggest you wait until after New Years- when my resolution will be strong not to kill you- to come and get your stuff. No one has to know. Tell them you got homesick, tell them you missed the city, tell them anything but the truth if you ever respected me. I know that’s a stretch for people like you.

“She didn’t even sign it. That’s just bad letter writing,” Henry said, laughing.
Pietro had to ask. “Who was this?”
“Hahaha, Henry Pym.”
“Ant-Man!” Pietro exclaimed. “Why are you laughing?”
“Its funny, Pietro, laugh,” Henry encouraged. Pietro’s face was sliding into revulsion. “Because I told him if he left her, I wouldn’t stay with him. Because a man who has a fling shouldn‘t be condemned by it. Because I actually did something Drake would call ‘badass‘. Berhaps if I don’t laugh I will cry. I thought I was going to earlier, who knows why. I don’t know, Pietro, but this kind of excitement just doesn‘t happen everyday.”
Pietro stood, staring at Henry, unable to find the right words to express his disgust. Only a few hallways away from him was the safe, oblivious kitchen. He could hear someone laughing with the caterers. Several students were roaming the halls, making jokes, yelling insults, trading homework. Behind lie a curiously complex family who were trying to be as normal as possible, by loving each other. In the center of this domestic maelstrom he was having this barely normal conversation with Henry who seemed oblivious to anything but his own chuckles.
“I thought you were hurt.”
“Pietro, men of my scientific nature need to observe and experience everything. Why should my only sexual psychological experiences include solitude and saving the world? I might go mad. Besides, I was referring to Mr Pym as the fool.”
“No Henry. You’re the fool. Why would you want this? You’re right. It is sick,” Pietro yelled at him before throwing the letter up in the air.

Pietro didn’t know what to think, about himself or Henry but there was no way he could go to the kitchens now. There was to much innocent flirtation going on there, too many simple joys. He didn’t want to ruin it.

Back at the party:

“REMY,” Ororo nearly shouted. She was thankful the music was loud, no one looked in her direction.
He turned to her and smiled.
“I’m here, chere, I’m listening. I tol’ yo’- a scheme goin’ on. I jus’ wish I could tell you,” he told her, his fingers resting on her cheek. She looked him over carefully, knowing she could believe the words but only because of the way he was saying them. The truth was far from being said. She wondered if already Rogue and him were having trouble. It had been a joy to see them peaceful and happy.

*Not that they couldn’t have a spat or two. They have the right to, they’re a normal couple.*

Ororo sighed, her palm tingling. Her lips felt cold and untouched. They missed Logan.

*Of course, objectify my body so I won’t have to think about-*

“Now who’s a million miles away,” Remy whispered into her ear, interrupting her thoughts. She laughed.
“You’re absolutely right. Would you care to dance?” she asked him. He accepted and they quickly made their way to the jampacked floor.

Jubilee had been unsuccessful at keeping the uninvited out and successful at getting most of the invited in. Logan was still missing but Jubilee knew he had a good excuse. He was in a meeting with Charles about Shaewn, his adoption, and his old family. Logan had promised her he’d come straight after he talked to Shaewn after the meeting. Of course, that could take forever, and Jubilee never liked leaving things to chance. She had Jean and Henry team up to reschedule an overseas phonecall from one of Charles’ chess buddies for an hour into their meeting and told Shaewn to make himself as hostile and scarce as possible, backed up with training from Kitty in evading manoeuvres. Jubilee smiled.
She knew Logan wouldn’t break his promise to her. He’d just take his time with everything he had to do until the party was hopefully over by the time he, innocently, arrived.
“Not a chance,” she whispered to herself.
“What’d I tell ya about plotting schemes at house parties?” Logan asked her as Jubilee screamed in surprise.
“You’re here!” she breathed.
“You doubted me?”
Jubilee looked away and smiled for a second. “Never! Now come get some punch. You’re going to love everything about this party.”
“Lotta kids,” he mentioned as he sipped at his drink before spitting it back into the bowl. “And the punch is spiked. And I’m not sure I wanna know what with.”
Jubilee rolled her eyes. Apparently a Drake party was a big affair. Speaking of him, he came out of nowhere with a fresh punch bowl and a cordless microphone in between his teeth. As he passed her he gave her a wink to which she rolled her eyes. An adoring assistant, some blonde Jubilee recognized from their calc class, took the old punch away.

*Is he blind to the disaster all around him?*

Bobby leapt up on to a table. Cheers went up and the music lowered minutely. Bobby held up his hands and the music died.

“People, I would like to thank you all to coming to my Just Cause party. Just because we’re family, just because we’re friends, heck just cause you could get in!” Bobby grinned as he waited for the catcall answers of agreement to die down. “Yeah I know I see some folks who are definitely not on the guest list…is that you Jamie? No? Still running from Ol’ Wolvie, huh? Don‘t worry Logan I got my eyes peeled for the scumbag.”
Several boys let out whoops. The fight was on everyone’s tongues and several couldn’t wait for Logan to catch up with the kid.
“Well, I’m sorry to say our party is winding down. We have restrictions on how much fun you can have at X High. We’ve met our quota for tonight but as usual, you party people overdid it! Hey, Ororo? Is that you? Where’s McCoy? We better not let him catch you ‘overexerting’ yourself! I saw those moves, damn lady, you can groove!”
Several more cheers came as Ororo’s students formed a protective circle around her on the dance floor as if they meant to physically stop Henry from getting in the way of her fun. Everyone laughed. Yesterday he’d told her the Danger Room was out of the question and the following argument had been legendary already. Ororo laughed along and clapped louder than anyone else.

Jubilee stomped her feet as she held her hands over her mouth to stop herself from screaming, “You’re brilliant!” at the make shift stage.

*Now they both knew each other was here and if either left, everyone would know how immature they were being!*

“Go Bobby!” she allowed herself to holler. He looked directly at her, through the crowd, and grinned.
Logan only sipped at his new punch glass, looking for the nearest exit to this pep rally.
“Now I’m going to try something different, you know how I like to do! All the invited male guests have their names in this hat,” Bobby pointedly dramatically at a large top hat that Longshot was carrying. “And all the invited female guests have their names in this lovely hat that Kitty has. A couple gets picked and they’re our last dance of the night! Everyone agree?”
A couple boos were heard. Bobby turned away from the crowd, hunched over the hats as if he was digging through the names.
“Hey, if you wanted to be in a hat,” Bobby said, looking over his shoulder. “Maybe you should have gotten invited legit!”
Everyone laughed and the hecklers blushed.
“Okay, last dance in ten so dance your little hearts out till then!”

Bobby jumped down from the table as he slipped two pieces of paper into his jeans pocket and fought his way through the crowd to Jubilee, who was clutching to Logan’s arm. As he watched her he realized it was taking all of her focus to keep Logan from slipping away so he turned away, going to the now unguarded doors. He had everything planned out perfectly. Well nearly. Practically there.
No matter, everything would go according to plan. Well, should.

Ororo turned around as her bodyguards dispersed. Remy was watching her with mirth in his eyes.
“Well dat be something’, non?” he commented.
“Bobby always has been a bit of a showman. If we lived in another time, I truly believe he’d be built for the circus life.” They laughed as they pictured Bobby exchanging his trendy t-shirts and jeans for a top hat and a bearded lady. “So this scheme that has your mind?”
“It’s nothing,” he lied.
“Remy,” she scolded. Before she could continue she felt a tap on her shoulder. The pair turned to face the intruder.
Jean smiled, her punch cup swerving dangerously in her hand. When she opened her mouth to speak, the harsh wash of whiskey poured over the couple. Ororo looked around for Scott and Remy felt his heart rate increase. He always knew Jean would be their downfall, he’d felt it in his gut for so long. He couldn’t stop himself from firmly believing their was something between Logan and Jean that had never really finished. Here would be his proof.
“So enjoying yourselves,” Jean asked, slightly slurring her last words. “I mean I’m really having fun.”
“Oui, Jean,” Remy said, putting himself between the two women. Praying. “We’re all having a lot of- fun. Where’s your husband?”
“Scott is, let go of me!” Jean shouted as Remy gracefully put his hand under her elbow. Ororo put her hand on Remy’s shoulder and he let her go reluctantly.

*A car crash waiting to happen.*

Remy thought as he dreaded it but could not stop himself from watching either.

“Now what was I talking about, Rooro?” Jean asked as she draped herself over Ororo’s shoulder.
“Scott,” Ororo controlled her face to not look disgusted.
“Yeah, him. He’s, he’s-” Jean blathered on innocently for the next ten minutes about absolutely nothing and everything. She noted what the young girls were wearing, wondered how she would look in each outfit, praised Ororo’s hairstyle, questioned the freshness of the shrimp (Which was a little crusty and smelled sour, don’t you think?), and told everyone within hearing distance of the particularly long and tedious story of her shoe shopping expedition that afternoon where she could not find any nice shoes to go with her latest dress purchase.
Ororo yawned and immediately regretted the action. She inhaled all of the dry, sour sweet smell wafting from Jean’s lips. Suddenly, as if heaven had opened before her, Bobby’ s booming voice interrupted Jean‘s latest story.

“Alright we have our last dance folks. Man does anyone else feel like they’re back at junior prom- the bad polyester, the gum trapped in braces, duck shooooeeeesss, oh wait. That’s Pretty in Pink. Never mind then.
Will, ahem, whoa I can’t believe I’m doing this, I swear…will Ororo and Logan please come up here?” Bobby cleared his throat a few more times. The room became deadly silent as everyone waited to see what would happen next.

Ororo grabbed Remy’s arm as he grabbed hers. She felt the thumping of her own heart over the blood rushing through her mind. To anyone watching her, except to Remy and Logan, she appeared mildly amused. Inside she was a torrent of emotions, deeper than she cared to deal with.
Exhaling, she knew she had once reacted to him badly but right now, she would decide how to behave after he made his move. It was all she could think to do right then.

Remy considered his options. He never really thought about the list of ways he could die. As an X-men, he might never get out of bed if he did. A lightning bolt or an adamantium claw were suddenly higher on the list than old age, a prospect he didn’t enjoy. Of course, he could always die from the tension. Or losing his hand from a lack of blood flow.

Jubilee tried to hide her grin but was losing the battle until she glanced at Logan’s face. He was stony faced, an expression devoid of emotions and thoughts. She worried that this had been the wrong tactic after all. Licking her lips she waited.

Bobby knew that he hadn’t technically lied which was the only reason Logan hadn’t jumped on the stage to rip off/ beat him to death with his own left arm. He had never said the couple had to be picked out of the hats. A technicality that would hopefully work for him. Jubilee looked at him and he gulped. All apart of the plan…but he really wished someone would say something.

“Oh for crying out loud, its just a dance,” Jean bawled out. A few nervous twitters could be heard behind hands. “Play on DJ, play on. Oh, go on Rooby. Come on Logaaaaan. Scared of cooties? I promise to give you both shots. Honestly.”

The music started immediately. The intro song to the Bullet for my Valentine album The Poison began to play. Ororo moved forward slowly but she didn’t get far before Logan marched across the room, couples parting before him to let him pass. He held her by the hips, as if unused to the motion. Smiling politely, she placed her hands on his shoulders as they began to gently sway. Ororo couldn’t help but remember what those shoulders were like when they shook with laughter, with pain, with ecstasy.
Everyone pretended to be very busy, the slow rise of voices gossiping, and not to stare. Remy watched the pair for a second, smiling at their awkwardness before turning to Jean.
She’d already stopped hunching and gave him a snaky smile.
“Eh, I had de situation under control, you know.”
“Well you thought you had her. I delivered results,” she gazed at them. They were pointedly not looking at each other. “Face it, you do need me.”

Bobby breathed an easy sigh, a rattle, and slinked off his perch. Escaping to the hall he put his hand on his forehead to check for a fever. He felt hot, too hot. He heard the door open and his heart stopped beating until he heard Jubilee speak.
“That was fantastic,” she said.
“Yeah well I thought I was going to spontaneously combust.”
She laughed. He grinned.
“You think I’m joking? Feel my forehead. Seriously, I’m,” he grabbed her hand and forced her to touch his sweating forehead with her own cool palm. “I’m burning up.”
“Yeah, I, I can feel it.”





You must login () to review.