Chapter 4

Logan decided to stay with Ororo after bringing her to see Jean, after much to his insistence. After he had laid her down on the bed, and Jean had taken the blood she needed; Ororo ended up falling asleep, seeing as she was very exhausted and felt as if a bulldozer had just ran her over. Jean spoke to Logan in a low toned voice, so that she wouldn’t wake Ro. “Logan, I’m going to have to kick you out.”

“Why?” Logan asked his voice filled with bewilderment.

“For privacy reasons, which I don’t want you to break. Plus I need to concentrate, something I wouldn’t be able to do with you here; you wouldn’t want me to give you inaccurate results, now would you Logan?”

Logan grunted “But, I can’t just leave her here !”

“She’s in good hands Logan, really! Just go, I’m more than positive she’ll tell you what is going on later.”

“Fine,” he growled and he walked out of the infirmary and headed over to danger room to blow off some steam he’d been building up, as well as anxiously await the results of the exams.

He walked out, as Jean slowly put a band-aid on Ororo's arm, and progressed along to test the blood to see what the matter was with her sleeping patient, though she already had a pretty good idea as to what it was, but Jean wanted to be sure.

After a couple more minutes, the printer to Jean's right began printing out Ororo's test results, its whirring sound causing the ivory haired woman in question to finally stir awake. The redhead smiled softly to herself, wordlessly watching the exhausted confusion that had begun to settle upon Ororo's otherwise flawless face as she curiously gazed upon the white colored ceiling. No doubt, in Jean's mind, would the bewilderment the weather goddess felt right then manifest further, the moment she heard her test results.

“Welcome back, sleepy head,” said Jean with a broader smile collection upon her fair facade, watching a tired Ororo slowly sit up for a moment before moving over to remove the printed out paper from the machine.

Ororo sat up a bit disoriented, and asked “Where am I?”

But, just as Jean was about to respond to her, she shook her head and sighed, realizing she had fainted from the fatigue “Forget it, I remember now.”

Jean nodded and began to read off the results off a paper the printer had given her. “The results are back… you are negative for any kind of heart disease, and I also went ahead and tested you for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, just to be on the safe side. That too, however, was thankfully negative. But you do have a high quantitative human chorionic gonadotropin hormone level.”

Ororo gave Jean a puzzled look, Jean knew that she wouldn't understand the medical terms, so she continued "BHCG is a hormone we women produce during pregnancy..."

Storm was shocked, the idea of her being pregnant after that night with Logan had crossed her mind, but she had quickly dismissed it so that it didn't happen, so much for that plan. The color on her face became a bit too light for Jean's liking.

Through Ororo's eyes the room began to spin quickly, she no longer saw one Jean, she saw three, and feeling very lightheaded and breathless; and she suddenly could hear the thumping of her heart as if it were right in her ear.

"Just take slow, deep breaths, and look around you, everything's ok... “Jean instructed as she saw Ororo on the verge of entering an anxiety attack.

She came out of it with the help of Jean, only to crumble into tears. Tears of desperation, fear, and anguish. Jean went over to her from the counter she'd been leaning and wrapped her arms around her "sister" tightly. Jean was the only person she would ever let see broken down like this, she'd wear a mask for everyone else.

Frantically, Ororo said to Jean, through the sobs "Jean what am I going to do? I don't know anything about being a good parent or how to care for the baby if he or she is sick, or what if I spoil the child too much or it won't obey the rules we have set here at the mansion?"

Jean shushed her and said "Look, you already are a parent, and a good one at that. The children here in the mansion see you as a mother, and they respect your authority, they also look up to you. And you are the best godmother I could ever ask for, for Sienna. Ororo, you already are a mother! Stop worrying about it, ok? And if anything, you know you've got me, and the x-men and everyone else at the mansion."

The weather witch shook her head "I don't know Jean, I just, I need time, I might even consider terminating this pregnancy..."

She stood up and walked to the door, stopping when she heard the sound of Jean's voice after she'd gotten over the shock of the words that'd come out of Ororo's mouth. Never had she thought Storm would come to that alternative, even if it weren't definite yet. "You won't have much time left to think, you're exactly 11 weeks along and your pregnancy can't be terminated after the third month."

She nodded and walked out of the infirmary, only to bump in to Logan who was now standing only 5 inches away from her face, invading her personal space accidentally. After spending 45 minutes fighting, he thought that was enough time to give them to discuss the results, but now it was his turn to find out what was wrong with his 'Ro.

Logan tried to look her in the eye but, she diverted her gaze each time to a random spot on the white floor or white walls. “Is everythin’ alright now? What happened? What did Jean say?”

“Yes Logan, everything is fine. It’s just some stress I’ve been under lately. You know, the usual,” she answered looking away going.

Logan took a step back, “Oh, I see, well ya do work a lot and probably don’t get any sleep darlin'…”

Just then Jean exited the infirmary and laid a hand on Ororo’s shoulder, “Yes, she has been working too hard, I’ve suggested she takes it easy the next few days, and prescribed some sleep aids.”

“I am actually going to head up to my room now, so I’ll see you later,” Ororo said turning around and walking towards the elevator.

She stopped when she heard Logan speak, “I’ll take ya to your room, if ya’d like,” as he walked next to her.

“No, it’s ok.”

Jean walked over to them, she entwined her arm with Ororo, asked her the same question Logan had just did and she nodded, and Jean led her into the elevator; leaving a very befuddled Logan standing in the middle of the hall on his own.

He began to think, 'if it were only stress, then why was the smell of saline tears still in the air?'





You must login () to review.