Closed off from love, I didn't need the pain
Once or twice was enough and it was all in vain
Time starts to pass before you know it you're frozen

But something happened for the very first time with you
My heart melted to the ground, found something true
And everyone's looking 'round thinking I'm going crazy...


Rain poured down on the mansion's estate, cleansing everything in its wake. However, cleansing was not the weather's intentions; sadness was. Curled up on her bed, Ororo's shoulder's shook while tears streamed down her face. It had been only a few weeks since Alkali Lake, and just roughly a couple days after Jean's funeral. The loss of the closest person she had to a sister was devastating to Ororo, the rain outside a pure outward sign of her grief.

It was late at night, the only time Ororo would have the nerve to let her emotions run a little wild in certain predicaments. This was definitely one of those times.

Hugging her pillow closer to her chest, Ororo let out another wrack of sobs. Nothing could ever compare to the grief that was taking over her. Slowly, it had been eating away at her soul, taking a little bit away from her in the short weeks of Jean's death. It wasn't fair, she felt guilty for not responding quicker to her "sister's" actions...

You should've done something...You should've saved her...

Those words wouldn't stop haunting her, the cruel truth ripped through her every time she thought about it...

A harsh knock on the door made Ororo's head snap up from her pillow. She threw the pillow to the side and hastened to wipe away the tears that were still streaming down her face. She would never let anyone see her so broken down. A tear or two of hers were shed on the day of the funeral, but she never went on a full-fledged sob. Not her. She was too strong for that.

"'Ro?" the husky voice belonged to Logan, which confused Ororo. Shouldn't he have been in his own room, followed by nightmares of his past and caring about himself? Ororo came to the conclusion that it was probably some late night mission the Professor had assigned them on and Logan was just sent to get her out of bed.

He knocked again, "Hey, 'Ro, you in there?"

"Come--," she cleared her throat, "Come in, Logan."

She tried to appear calm as Logan walked in, attempting to hide everything under an emotional mask.

Making his way up to the foot of her bed, he noted her tear stained cheeks, but didn't say anything. He wasn't good in any situations like this...

Ororo wiped her eyes, "What did you want?"

He stood there in silence for a few moments, now completely at a loss for words. What was he thinking? Getting up from his room because he heard sobbing coming from her room, although the torrential rain was an obvious factor that the weather witch was not in her happiest mood. And now he expected himself to give her soothing words? Well, he couldn't exactly walk out on her, that would just complicate things further. What to do, what to do...

Logan scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "Heard ya cryin' in here...thought ya were hurt or somethin'..."

She looked down, hiding a sad sort of smile from Logan's sight, "Well, I am hurting...just not in a physical sense..."

Ororo sighed thoughtfully, her voice breaking again as she told him the source of her sorrow, "I--I just...Jean's death...losing her is like losing a sister..." A choked sound escaped her throat, a sign that she was on the brink of another breakdown. Logan did the only thing he thought was appropriate for the moment and enveloped her in a strong embrace. More tears flowed from Ororo's eyes as she openly welcomed the kind gesture, sobbing into his chest.

Surprisingly, Logan found no awkward feelings or reactions from the woman, or himself, when he wrapped his arms around her tightly, murmuring low words of reassurance and comfort. It almost felt right to be holding her this way, the beginning of a friendship with Ororo forming before his very eyes.

About ten minutes passed before all of her tears were cried, grief replaced by comfort from the man who was holding her. She felt safe, warm, and almost...cherished.

In an acquaintance way, of course... she thought seriously.

Logan kissed the top of her head and rubbed her arms soothingly.

Never mind...

She rested her case with the term: friendship...

...at the same time, she felt a tingling of sorts in the pit of her stomach...something she could never explain...





You must login () to review.