But I don't care what they say, I'm in love with you
They try to pull me away, but they don't know the truth
My heart's crippled by the vein that I keep on closing

You cut me open
And I keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding love
I keep bleeding, I keep, keep bleeding love
Keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding love
You cut me open...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...at the same time, she felt a tingling of sorts in the pit of her stomach...something she could never explain...

Chapter 2: Keep Bleeding...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few months later...

Clicking heels made their way down the long halls of the lower levels of the mansion. Ororo sighed and brushed some white hair from her face. Charles had told her to go check on Logan, for he had sensed immense restlessness with the man. Ororo had agreed to go, but it was for her own personal reasons that she was encouraged to walk slightly faster than necessary. There was no way she was going to let him do anything impulsive with Jean...or what appeared to be Jean. Ororo still had a hard time coping with that, ever since she had found the scarlet-haired woman laying unconscious on the rocky surface of Alkali Lake.

But before that incident, she and Logan seemed to have developed an ever-growing friendship. Oh, they had been well acquainted before, but it was after Jean's death when only did they seek each other out for support. Like the first night Logan came to comfort her.

Now, that seemed like a forever ago...

Since then, they had had many more nights similar to that...sometimes in the kitchen when the subject of Jean was brought up and they both felt obligated to hold one another, or the one time she remembered waking up to him in his bed...they didn't do anything, but still...

Small moments like had drawn her to him, and she would never admit that to anyone else or Logan...she had time, right?

He was over Jean anyways, wasn't he?

That thought alone made her pace quicken...

Brushing her bangs to the side a little, Ororo turned a corner, nearing the infirmary door. Coming a bit closer to her objective, her hands lightly straightened out her shirt of any wrinkles that might be present. A few more steps and she was now standing face to face with the infirmary entrance while a nervous feeling swept over her.

Deep breaths, Ororo...Deep breaths... Ororo mentally counted to herself to ten before she finally had the courage to take that final step to activate the doors.

A low swish was heard as Ororo walked in...

...but nothing could have prepared her for what she saw...and her heart was broken in two.

There they were, Logan firmly on top of Jean, kissing her senseless with his belt buckle telekinetically half undone. Ororo, staying very silent and still because she knew of Logan's enhanced senses, swallowed the small lump that had formed in her throat. Unbearable tears soon glossed over her deep brown eyes and her fists clenched. She was too late...this wasn't fair. Ororo could have sworn there was something between herself and Logan, but now that she had seen the two...she didn't know what to think...it still broke her heart anyways.

The faint thud of raindrops was soon heard, expressing the emotions that welled through the weather witch's soul. She took quiet steps backwards, wanting nothing more than to just run away and lock herself in her room undetected. Too bad Logan heard her...

His glance switched from Ororo to the woman beneath him...something was wrong here...

Logan quickly got off of Phoenix and righted his belt buckle, still unsure of who to keep eye contact with or what to say. A lazy smile crept up on "Jean's" face as she realized what was going on. She sensed Ororo's feelings.

Ororo hastened to run away right then and there, but Logan caught her by the wrists.

Each and every one of her words were punctuated with sorrow and enmity, "Leave me alone, Logan."

She wrestled to free her hands from his grasp, but Logan would not let go, "'Ro...I--"

"Save it." Ororo turned her face away, she wouldn't let him see her tears.

Neither of them noticed Phoenix watching them intently, eyes turning as black as night. Her hands gripped the edge of the infirmary table, where she was seated. Bolts unscrewed themselves from the medical tables, cabinets shook, and the monitors were going haywire. Both Ororo and Logan turned to the red haired woman, temporarily forgetting their current predicament. Ororo's eyes met Logan's in confusion as they slowly walked towards the woman. They weren't fast enough to get to her when she screamed with fury and threw them back into the wall with her telekinesis, effectively knocking them out.

Phoenix got off the table and slowly walked over to the two limp forms. Her eyes did a quick scan around the room, looking for something to delay the two, should they awake soon. She found nothing that could suppress them for long, so she simply demolecularized the wall behind them just enough so it would crumble and fall. Dust clouded the room and Phoenix proceeded her way to the infirmary exit, not bothering to open it as her telekinesis pushed it forcefully open and knocked into the opposite wall.

Her work was done here.





You must login () to review.