Ororo was in the hospital for four hours, and already she was going stir crazy, every so often a nurse would come in and take some notes and ask her some questions and then leave - The team of nurses and her two doctors were fantastic they could answer any questions she may have had, so long as they were medical based.

None of them could answer the questions that pertained to her heart.

The wind rider was confused she was pregnant with one man’s baby (who just happened to be her best friend’s soon-to-be-ex-husband).

When the father of her baby walked away, she was prepared to go on by herself, she had more than enough support with her x-family she didn’t need Scott in his child’s life if he didn’t want to be there and of course now that she made that decision he wanted to be in their lives.

Ororo, however, found herself in love with someone else, Logan, a man technically only half of himself because of the missing memories he had suffered, she knew that when he told her ‘I love both of you’ he meant that whole heartedly. Although he tells her that it does not matter on whether it is his child or not he will stand up to the plate if need be; she cannot imagine putting such a high responsibility on the Canadian-born mutant.

The former Goddess closed her eyes, she would’ve laughed if this wasn’t a situation she would’ve heard about: on one of those trashy mid-afternoon talk shows; she tried desperately too avoid now that she was on ‘maternity leave’ from the team.

She half laughed, half-sighed. She reminded herself to ask one of the girls to bring her laptop with them if she was going to be here any longer than forty-eight hours; and she laid her head back on the pillow willing for both and answer to the ‘Scott versus Logan’ predicament she was in, and for the arm where her IV was to stop itching.


~ ~ ~


Although her eyes were closed and her breathing even and shallow, she was in full alert; she heard the click of the locking mechanism on the door and the door clicking shut, she also heard the soft footprints of someone walking towards the bed. Her eyes remained shut, as she took in the familiar aroma of an aftershave “Doctor McCoy there is no need to sneak up on me; we are not in a danger room session.”

She woke and found the good doctor standing beside her, little round glasses perched on his nose somehow made him look a little older than what he really was.

“I’m sorry Ororo I was trying not to disturb you. How are you feeling?”

She shrugged, “I would be doing better if I was not in here Hank.”

He smiled a sad smile “I know, Ororo, I am sorry.”

“Do not be sorry, Hank, just tell me that everyone involved is fine and I can go home and worry about having a healthy baby in ten weeks.”

He smiled showing his fangs and all “that is exactly what I want to talk to you about, my dear.”

“Oh”? She made a half assed attempt to get up, but stopped when she realized it was fruitless, since her child’s feet were up against her ribcage on the bright side I don’t have to worry about delivering breech she mused, and slapped a laughing Hank’s hand away when he tried to help her up.

“I was thinking about your case, and it does not make any sense and I am afraid that most of the tests that I did came out negative and were just a precautionary way to rule things out.” She nodded “there are several things today that I do need to tell you.”

“I’m not going anywhere, Hank. Please, my friend, sit.” She motioned to the bed and he did what he was asked.

“Okay, your placenta abruption was at grade two; that means that you were symptomatic, but not enough to be in shock,” She nodded trying to follow. “There was some signs of the beginnings of fetal distress, hence why you are hooked up to the monitors-they are to monitor the two of you, however, everything on that end seems to be evening out and I am not really worried about that right now to be honest with you.”

She nodded where is this going?

“Now there are several very important, very serious things that can associated with placenta abruption and you fall into a category for a few I’m afraid: hypertension, which is prevalent in African American Woman around your age. Especially around pregnancy.”

She half nodded, she was aware because of her background there would be a few more complications that Jean and Rogue wouldn’t have to worry about.
She was brought out of her revere by his deep voice “unfortunately, Hypertension can lead to such complications as pre-clampsia and pre-eclampsia. However, my dear you do not have to worry about any of that.”

She released the breath she was not aware of that she was holding.

“In fact, thats the thing that worries me about this whole situation; is to be quite frank with you, your pregnancy is text book-aside from the mutant gene and this placenta abruption. There was no signaling that this was going to happen at all. So I did a little more research.”

The more he talked the more she was getting nervous “Hank...” her voice low, and warning.

He put a gorilla sized hand to stop her “how is your stress level at the mansion, Ororo?”

She thought about it and shrugged “it was a little stressful at the beginning with the whole Scott-me-baby-Jean-adultrous-whore-debacle”

He took off his glasses and looked at her in the a worried big brother tone “we’ve been over this, Ororo, you aren’t a whore-you were comforting Scott in his time of need and you two fell for each other. It does not make you a whore, it makes you slightly gullible for believing his lines, but, it doesn’t make you a whore.”

She sighed “you always have been honest with me, Hank.”

He grinned “would you expect me to be any different now that you are carrying my niece or nephew?”

She shook her head “and my stress level has been considerably lower.”

He nodded, “What about your sleep pattern?”

“Ugh.”

“Ugh? Not good then I take it?”

She shook her head “Its too hot and I am having trouble getting comfortable to be honest. Every time I close my eyes I’m up half an hour again later, by the time sun rise happens I am so irritated about not sleeping I just get up anyway because I know that there is no point. Why do you ask?”

He grinned “My George, Ororo, I think we have it.”

“Oh?” she cocked an eye brow.

“Your body needs sleep, preferably eight to ten hours a night, especially now that you are expecting. Since your stress pattern has been admittedly messed up it is putting your body under some stress that is what caused the abruption.”

She had thought for a moment, she knew that sleep was important-but, could it really have been so important it almost killed her unborn child? She put a hand on to her baby bump “so what now?”

“It is simple my dear, Ororo. First we continue in what we are doing with the medications to stop you from delivering now. When that is said and done, and I’m sure it’ll be soon. You are going to change your diet.”

“My diet? Okay.” At this point she was willing to try anything.

He nodded “about an hour before you go to sleep I want you to prepare your self a snack or a meal to eat that is high in Trytophan: so something that is high in carbs and calcium, but medium-to-low in protein; because the amino acid makes serotonin, the neurotransmitter that slows down the nerve traffic.” He registered confusion on her face and corrected himself “eat something high in carbs or proteins.”

She nodded “like what?”

“Oh there are tons of stuff, I’ll make you a list but since your a vegetarian some great examples would be: Rice, beans, peanuts, some peanut butter spread on some sesame crackers of a piece of whole grain bread. Things like that. I’ll have one of the nurses bring you in a list of sleep foods for you. But, remember it takes about an hour for the tryptophan to reach the brain so don’t do the snack or dinner right before bed, okay?”

She nodded trying to absorb the information “what if it doesn’t work?”

“Fair question, it should. If things get really bad-and only in the case of an emergency you can take a pregnancy safe antihistimiene like: Benadryl, just take the lowest possible dose. Again though that is only for extreme circumstances though.”

He watched her nod it was a normal thing for the daughter of N’Dare and David Munroe to nod and stay quiet when her mind was getting over loaded with information and he took her hand reassuringly

“This will all be written down, Ororo, don’t worry so much okay?”

She patted his hand “I’m sorry I’ve been such a worrywart.”

“Nonsense, I would be disappointed in you if you weren’t. You’ll do good with this, Ororo.”

“I know that now, thank you.” He broke professionalism for a brief second and kissed her on the forehead and watched her snuggle into the scratchy hospital blanket.

“Sleep now, cause heaven knows you won’t get it when your little bundle comes” she was asleep before he could open the door.





You must login () to review.