When Ororo Munroe met Charles Xavier in Egypt so many years ago, with his promises of helping her be able to control her mutant powers. She was scared; and admittedly so. After all, she had no idea what to expect.

On the same level she was also very happy, she didn’t have to worry about: if she had to prostitute herself on her street -- just so she could get barely enough money to survive the week, she no longer had to feel guilty about stealing from a tourists wallet for a few more pieces of bread and maybe a bed that she wouldn’t have to share with anyone.

She knew when her next meal was coming from when she was living with Xavier and the Xmen, and anything she needed all she would quite literally do would have to ask, and she wouldn’t have to worry about having to give anything in return.

When she became second-in-command of the Xmen; it was one of the more happier moments in her life, she had schedules to follow, responsibility and battle plans for every literal and figurative battle she will ever come across on.

These “battle” plans, for a lack of a better term; came an important tool in how Ororo not only handled mutant haters and people who wanted the Xmen dead, but, they also helped her to ‘plan’ for her life as well.

Being an Xmen taught her how to come up with contingency plans -- four or five plans if necessary, and she secretly thanked both the Goddess and Professor Xavier for drilling it in her head; that the best laid plans can always go horribly wrong.

Ororo going into labour 3 weeks before her due date, again. Definitely a best laid plan that didn’t go right in this situation, all of her contingency plans were shot to shit as well.

She was not expecting, everyone in the mansion to be away on a mission involving the brotherhood -- except for Xavier and Scott; including her doctor and her birthing coach.

Neither one of her contingency plans were: what if three weeks before my due January due date, I go in labour, during a snow storm so powerful that it will block off all roads and I would end up having to deliver at home with my doctor on the com-link as he in the middle of battle magneto-telling Scott how to tell if I am dilated and Xavier telling me how to push.

This moment was definitely not in her plan ‘b’ ‘c’ or hell even ‘F.’ But, here she was with her legs spread apart on her mattress laying on towels; Xavier was behind her as best as he could, holding her up and counting to ten; as she fought the urge to scream. It felt like her insides were being ripped out with a burning Rake.

“...And...ten..okay..Ororo you can relax.” Charles reassured her and he chuckled as she released a string of telepathic curse words, that would make a sailor blush.

Scott kept reassuring her that: ‘as far as I can tell you are doing fabulously,’ as far as Ororo could tell, the only thing Scott could tell about babies were how to make them.

Ororo suddenly wished, that she could pull back the storm and let the ambulance come quicker; they reassured Charles twenty minutes ago; ‘they were on their way, but because of the storm couldn’t guarantee a prompt arrival.’

Neither Charles or Ororo knew if she was able to keep the concentration needed for her to stop the storm and deliver at the same time. Baby is more important.

She leaned back against Charles; her forehead and neck covered in sweat “I..I..I..can’t...do this...” As she breathed through another contraction and fought against the urge to push.

“Come on baby, three more pushes like the most!” Scott urged her on.

Ororo groaned as she pushed, and Charles counted to ten again “how..do...you...” she stopped half way through the pain was too much for her to handle and she could feel her vision blackening slightly; “can’t..do it...stop...please?”

Charles wiped her forehead with a cool face cloth as Scott tried to figure out how to get the big head of the infant, out of the little bitty hole, especially if she was refusing to push.

Scott dialed the familiar phone number and put the receiver up to his ear and his hands under the blankets that was giving Ororo privacy. “Hank? Its Scott...yeah she’s still in labour...she’s refusing to push anymore though...honestly like three pushes..I’m trying to figure...yeah the head the through hole thing...tricky sucker...breathe Ororo...breathe...he he hooo...remember?..thats a good girl..sorry, what?..uh..sure.”

Ororo hated listening into one side conversations, especially about her.

Scott hit the ‘speaker phone’ button and there were a sea of random ‘hellos’ and ‘hey girl!’ running through her ears and she chuckled, despite the pain.

“I know you’re tired, Ororo, but you can do it, okay?” Jean called out.

“Yeah Darlin’ just pretend we’re in room wit you, since we’re..well not. Stupid weather.”

“Stormy just be brave and push really hard, please? Pour Remy?”

Ororo felt another contraction and she bared down like she did with the other ones, she could hear the prayers being sent her way through the speaker phone.

Scott cried, “I can see the head. Give me your hand; Rory!”

“Wh-at?” She screamed between pushes and Xavier and the rest of the group counting to ten.

“Give me your hand,” she did what she was told and he placed her hand between her legs and let her feel the top of her baby’s head “feel that Ororo? That’s the head of our..Er..your baby...okay? A few more pushes like honestly; not even one and a half and you can see your little miracle, and hold it and all this will be over. Okay?”

She nodded and took her hand away from the baby’s head and wrapped it behind her knee and prepared to push harder.

Two more minutes passed, and many tears and prayers from the team still on speaker phone, “Wait, Ororo? Rory? I need you to stop pushing, I need to get the...shoulder..out..God you make gorgeous kids.”

He looked up at her from between the privacy sheet and they shared a small smile; as Doctor McCoy explained how to suction out the nasal cavity and mouth, and, get the shoulders out without ripping open Ororo completely.

“Ah’m gettin’ ma tubes tied. Ah always knew ‘Ro was braver than Ah was. C’mon girly! Ya can do it baby!” Rogue cringed from the passenger seat of the X-Jet as a scream ripped through Ororo.

Ororo rested her back up against Charles test and waited for the last contraction to come and for the order to push.
~ ~ ~
The rest of the Xmen sat on a plane flying into New York, cussing the weather; as it was making the long trek back home even more of a mission the actual battle between the brotherhood, (which just took them to South Dakota).

They were all reassured that the baby will be here when they come and that the team getting home safely was more important then them being present and accounted at the birth.

Although the team agreed, still the birth of the very first X-baby was imminent and they all wanted to be their supporting their sister-friend.

As opposed to being stuck on a plane and supporting her through the noisy speaker phone.

There was silence on the their end of the speaker phone; listening to Hank give directions to Scott, and Scott reiterating the directions verbatim to Ororo and Charles.

Ororo got irritated and ended Scott’s verbatim practice with a blunt “I’m in labour! Not deaf! I can hear him, Scott!”

Logan and Remy couldn’t help but chuckle; a few more minutes passed. A few more minutes of silence as Hank got ready to land the plane “I see the ambulance, coming up, Scott. Looks like its going to be a race of who gets their first; us or them.”

Remy chuckled “Stormy, Remy loves you like a sister, petite, but only you, could deliver your baby in the worse snow storm this side of the artic, neh?” he chuckled.

There was more silence and suddenly a loud shrill cry that didn’t come from Ororo.

~~~
Between active labour and Ororo pushing the baby totally out; she was in labour for about two hours; the activity (for a lack of a better term), ended with Scott telling her to stop pushing, a loud shrill cry and Scott whispering “its a girl!” as he tied the umbilical cord and laid the screaming crying infant onto Ororo’s chest to let mother and daughter bond.

For a brief second the brown eyes of the daughter had met the blue eyes of the mother; and it was instant love and devotion.

Ororo wiped tears from her eyes, she didn’t remember the last time she cried; she tried shushing her daughter as she counted her fingers and toes and played with her nose; “Hi Baby-girl! Goddess, we waited so long for you...” she smiled at professor Xavier who propped her up against the head board and slid back into his wheel chair.

“Congratulations Ororo. Do you have a name for her?”

Before Ororo could answer there were footsteps on the stairs and a man calling out: Scott opened the door “oh, its the paramedics! Yeah come in they’re in here.”





You must login () to review.