Ororo and Scott had made an unconscious decision when they first started sleeping together to avoid each other in moments where they will be alone and be made to look suspicious say if another X-man walked in on the couple.

So, Ororo had an issue – she didn’t want to tell the whole team that she was pregnant at the very moment, but, at the same time, she wasn’t sure how appropriate it would’ve been to drag Scott away from his wife to tell him privately.

She sighed and walked into the kitchen to grab some saltines to calm her stomach, of course Scott and Jean Summers had to be in the kitchen, she cursed silently and tried to make a quick exit, but, her best friend saw her before she could escape.

“Ororo!” the redheaded telepath looked ran over to Jean with something in her hands “Look what Scott gave me for our anniversary! Isn’t it beautiful?” she held up a heart shaped white-gold locket with an inscription that read: my friend, my wife, my heart, my soul on a thin piece of tiny chain.

The pregnant Goddess faked a smile “that is gorgeous, Jean!” Ororo shoved three or four saltines in her mouth to stop herself from throwing up. Not because of the pregnancy, but, because of the site of that damned locket.

“Ugh, Scott, I need to talk to you personally. About the mission we need to go on - For a second.” She was a horrible liar; but, she was hoping that it sounded like official X-men business.

Scott glanced at Jean behind his red-quartz glasses “why not talk to Charles first?”

She sighed “because I need to talk to you first.” She clenched her teeth.

Jean was confused; glancing between two people she shared the kitchen with “why not just say it, Ororo? I mean the three of us are part of the team. Aren’t we?” her smile was sugary sweet.

Ororo fought the urge to roll her eyes “because, it is personal.”

“Its personal, but you’ll tell Scott over Charles?” she replied.

Ororo was on the verge of smacking her best friend.

“Too personal to tell your best friend?”

The weather witch’s eyes clouded white and milky for a second and she stared at the heavens “fine. Jean, I am pregnant. But, I was hoping to keep it quiet for a while.”

Jean let out an ear-piercing scream and she instantly enveloped her friend into a hug “that’s fantastic honey!”

Ororo found herself throwing daggers at Scott.

Once Jean let her go, and leaned up against the counter and holds her hand “Scott isn’t that wonderful?”

He sputtered and choked on his coffee and gave thumbs up and nodded.

“I didn’t even know you were dating anyone. Do we know the guy?"

The X-woman with the code name of: Storm, smiled tightly, despite the situation “actually, you know him quite well, Jean.” Ororo took a breath “does she not, Scott?”

“Scott? I –” she cocked her head to the side; it was all of a sudden making sense.

Perfume over the air that wasn’t her own, long nights working and training, him not being in the mood for sex, “You?” she whipped around, her green eyes sparked a color he hasn’t seen since she was phoenix.

When she didn’t get an answer right away, she looked at her ‘best friend’ “him?” when the former pickpocket nodded, she slapped her hard across the face – hard enough for the slap to ring through the room and for a perfect hand print to form on Ororo’s cheek.

At that moment; Logan and Remy heard the slap as they were entering the kitchen, saw Ororo’s head whip to the side and a very angry Jean – almost immediately Logan and Remy turned around and stepped back out, just as quickly as they walked in.

Her cheek stung, but, she refused to react.

It was Scott’s turn to feel the wrath of his wife “you slept with my best friend,” each word was punctuated by a slap to either his arm or his chest “and” slap “you” slap “got her” double slap “pregnant!” the last word was a slap to the face, harder than the slap to Ororo’s was. In-fact Scott tasted blood.

“Look Jeannie.” He tried to wrap her arms around his wife, to calm her down; “Yes, Ororo and I had sex, that doesn’t mean the baby is mine though. She jumped into bed with me without giving a fight, if she was that easy with me she would do it with anyone.” His voice was cold, calculating and precise almost like he was reporting to Professor Xavier after a mission.

Ororo wasn’t going to hit him, she’d leave that to Jean, and all she could do was keep apologizing to Jean and leave the room just as quietly as she came in.

~ ~ ~

Ororo was sitting in the library, sitting on the bench that was attached to the great big bay window that over looked the estate’s back yard. She sighed, and rubbed her jaw one more time “is it really his?”

She nodded her head, not hearing when Jean Grey walked into the library, “I’m sorry Jay.” Ororo stated sadly, using the nickname she given the telepath when they first met when they were teenagers.

The telepath sat beside the weather controlling mutant on the bench “I’m sorry too, I’m sorry I slapped you, I’m sorry. I’m happy for you, I’m just hurt. Scott and I were trying since our ‘honey moon’ to get pregnant.”

Ororo chewed on her full bottom lip, and bit back a very un-goddess like cuss word. “Some best friend, huh? Goddess Jean. I am so sorry.” More tears streamed down her cheeks “Stupid Hormones.” She grinned. “Are you and Scott okay?”

Jean shook her head “I can’t be with someone who cheated on me and didn’t tell me – I mean I know I’m a telepath, and I had my suspicions – but he cheated on me for how long? And with my best friend! And I’m supposed to trust him with other stuff? I want you to know though. If we get a divorce, Ororo; it isn’t your fault, okay? I mean this was just the straw that broke the camel’s back as it were.”

Ororo wasn’t sure if she should give information on the affair; she thought about her own life, would she want to be the know how an affair started between her husband and best friend? She wasn’t sure. She kept her mouth shut.

On the other hand, she didn’t want to be responsible for her friend’s divorce; she found herself nodding in agreement, although she wasn’t sure why anymore.

Did Jean just smile?

“Wanna know the ironic thing about this?”

“What?” she found her hands placed on her still flat stomach.

“I always thought we’d be the Godmothers of each other’s children
”

Ororo laughed at the irony “instead you are the stepmother of mine.”

“I promise I won’t be wicked.”

“I can handle that.” The two grinned at each other and hugged one more time “I wanted to tell you...I just
kept chickening out.”

Jean pressed her fingers to her friend’s lips “Sssshh, don’t be stupid, I don’t blame you. I’m just hurt. Ya know?”

Ororo nodded, “Are we okay?”

“We will be.”

Somehow that was all the convincing the newly pregnant Goddess needed.





You must login () to review.