It was three hours, before Hank McCoy and Remy LeBeau came back to room nine of the emergency room, both of them had an exhausted defeated look on their faces.

Logan reached over and woke up the sleeping girls, who laid side by side and wrapped in each others arms on the gurney “girls, girls! Wake up!” slowly the girls came around, untangling each other from each others limbs and rubbing their eyes trying to gain remembrance of where they were.

Jean was the first one to recognize Hank; grabbing his large blue furry hand she continued “how is he, Hank? How’s Scott?”

Moments like this, Hank McCoy hated being a doctor, he hated delivering the bad news; he rubbed the back of his furry neck and looked at Remy for support “Non, Mon Ami dere be too many big words for Remy to repeat. You better do the ‘onurs wit’ dis one.”

Hank realized he was still holding Jean’s hand he stared at her and spoke softly, “you want the good news or the bad news first?”

“Bad news?” Jean felt her best friend’s arms wrap around her waist in support.

“Bad news is that his chest hit the steering wheel column of the car “ he has six broken ribs, some bruising on the spinal column, a first grade concussion, and a broken sternum. They weren’t going to worry about, it at first “ until he started showing signs of atelectasis and what appeared to be a blunt myocardial injury.”

Logan spoke for the rest of the group “I’m wit’ the Cajun “ there was too many big words in that sentence. Say it slower, blue.”

“The steering column hit his chest: aside from the broken ribs, concussion and bruising. He has a broken breast bone, which they weren’t going to worry about until he started showing signs of a collapsing lung and a bruised heart.”

Jean was thankful that Ororo was holding on to her and she was sitting down, because she was sure she would’ve collapsed, she felt hot tears stream down her face again “what is the good news?”

“Well, he came out of surgery and everything went smoothly, they do have him sedated and he is in ICU, we can not go in and see him because we are not his family, you can though because you are still technically married; IF you want.
They have him hooked up to an ECG to make sure that no arrhythmias happen since the injury to his chest was severe. They are going to give him Chest pressure therapy similar to that of patients with cystic fibrosis, and see how he responds to it. Now, Jean “ there maybe a chance that if infection sets in he will need to be intubated. I know how badly that sounds. But, at least you are both a live; and his injuries could have been a lot worse.”

Ororo was trying to listen to details, but, she couldn’t seem to concentrate. Her heart was pounding in her ears, her palms were sweaty, and she felt tightness in her chest “ her breathing was becoming short and erratic, and…were the walls closing in?

“I-I-I am sorry,” she tried to concentrate on other things but nothing seemed to work

“’Ro? You okay?”

“Jean, I am sorry” breath, just breath and you’ll get through this, “I “ I need to go “ I” she ran out of emergency room, before anyone can stop her.

Jean bowed her head, she knew what was going on “I’ll be okay one of you guys go check on her, she can’t be having panic attacks while pregnant. We don’t need a third one to end up in the hospital. Do we?” she almost chuckled at the thought, almost.


~ ~ ~

She found herself staring at the large window where the new born babies laid in the nursery. Dozens of them, looking like little pink and blue burritos all cuddled in their very own cribs.

Some moving about but staying quiet, one or two have already discovered their hands, some were crying and trying to reach out to grab someone’s attention.

Her breathing calmed down long ago, and the walls stopped closing in on her; but, she couldn’t bear to go back and face the rest of the team, especially not Jean.

Knowing that it was partially her fault on why Scott was in the ICU drove her to have a near panic attack.

She walked down the hallway a bit and found the N.I.C.U, and touched the glass. Inside were babies fighting for their lives, for the right to breathe on their own; Some where so tiny they couldn’t even keep themselves warm.

Her head rested against the glass, her mind was wrapped around making everything try to go right, and she didn’t worry about the things that could go wrong in the situation.

“Ya shouldn’t worry yourself over things ya can’t control.”

It was Logan’s voice; she would recognize his voice anywhere “easier said than done.” Her hand touched the class one more time; she waved another hand at the nurse who waved first; “what am I going to do Logan?”

The man shrugged even though she couldn’t see, he walked up behind her and put his hands around her swelling belly, it could have easily been covered up with a jacket or a baggy sweater “ but she liked her new curves, she leaned her back against his chest and listened his heart beat “how did you know where I would be?”

“I didn’t. I had a few ideas,though,Scott being in the ICU isn’t your fault, ‘Ro its that guys fault who hit ‘em.”

“But, if they were not arguing about…”

“About what? About him cheating on her? What if it wasn’t you he was cheating with? What if were someone else? What if he didn’t cheat on Jean? What if they were arguing about something else entirely? They were ALWAYS arguing. It wasn’t your fault, darlin.’”

He felt her nod against his chest.

“Ya can’t stress yourself over stuff like this, especially now.”

She nodded her head again.

“If you know all of this than why am I telling ya’?” he smiled in her white hair as they watched an infant in an incubator clench and unclenched her tiny hands.

“Because I need to hear it.”

“There is something else bothering you isn’t there?” She was quiet, “Darlin’?”

She nodded her chin towards the window “there is so much stuff that can go wrong; especially with both of us being mutants. I “ I just don’t want to mess this up.”

He led her away from the neonatal window and towards the hospital elevator “but think about everything that can go right. If all you dwell on his the negative, that’s all you’ll find.”

She looked at him in the eyes “that is very profound, Logan.”

He shrugged “I speak from experience.”

“May I ask how did you stop yourself from dwelling on the negative?”
He kissed her softly, and pulled away when the chime of the elevator told them that it had arrived “easy.” He smiled and walked into the elevator “I found you.” He stopped the elevator door from closing before she got slammed between the door and the wall “ya’ comin’?”



~ ~ ~

Back downstairs the rest of the team: Hank and Jean, was waiting for them in the lobby.

“Absolutely not, there is no way, just because she smiled at me does not mean that she is interested in a social gathering.”

“Just do it, Hank.”

It was obvious to the approaching mutants that Jean was trying to pressure Hank into something; The blue-furred scientist was blushing, it was Logan who spoke up “hey what’s goin’ on?”

“It seems that Miss. Grey-Summers here, wants to me ask the nurse in the emergency room, Sandrine, on a date.”

Ororo smiled, why was Jean always playing match maker? “Sandrine? She was cute.” She blushed for some unknown reason “why not do it, Hank?”

He shook his head, “I will go wait in the car.” He turned to leave shyly.

“Wait; what is going on? How come Jean is coming with us? Where is Remy?”

“Everything is okay, except for Scott “ obviously. But, I will come visit him tomorrow; I was just discharged from emergency with orders to rest for at least 24 hours, and, we don’t want you here any longer than you have to be. We don’t know where Remy went, he told us he’ll be back though, that he had to go do something.” Jean shrugged, “You ready to go home? How are you feeling?”

Ororo smiled her feel real smile all week “better now that I know at least one of you are okay, I am sorry about taking off before.” She stopped talking when Jean shook her head as a sign ‘not to worry about it,’ the women hugged “I guess we should wait for Remy?”

As soon as the beautiful wind rider gotten the words out of her mouth, Logan pointed to him running down the hall a short distance with something in his hand “Sorry, ‘bout dat.” He passed Ororo a small dish of green Jell-O from the hospital cafeteria “Remy ‘eard that Stormy ‘ad a cravin’ for some lime Jell-O” his Cajun accent masked played with ends of words like a cats tail “so Remy went to go get Stormy some.” Remy gave a kiss on Ororo’s cheek, and she smiled, as they all left the hospital.

Somehow, the Jell-o made a point to Ororo, that no matter what went wrong from this point out, she truly had to believe in the promises that her family have given her.

They are there to help, even if was over just the small things.





You must login () to review.