Note: It's my first fanfic and English is not my native language. So be tolerant.
Note2: The story takes place after the first movie. There were too many complications in the second one so I've decided to ignore it.


Going to Alkali Lake was useless. I knew I would be. But I went there all the same. Not directly, though. After spending some time at the Canadian border I realized I couldn’t ignore the tiny possibility that I might actually find something there. Found nothing, of course. Just as expected. Fucking nothing.
Now I’m going back to Westchester. Don’t really know why.
Sure, there are a few reasons. Rouge, for one thing. No, not Rouge. Marie.
Surprising, really. I admit, I care for that kid. I nearly died for her, after all. However melodramatically it sounds. I don’t know why I did it either. There seems to be a lot of things I do without apparent reason lately. But hell, it has always been this way. As long as I remember. That means fifteen fucking years.
And there’s Jean, of course. Doctor Jean Grey. You don’t see such legs every day. And the hair. What’s the thing with me and red-heads? With black hole instead of your past, you just get used to your own unexplainable reactions. Without question Jean Grey is hot. But, for some strange reason, she clings to this dickhead, Summers. Cyclops, yeah. The name’s so stupid that it fits him perfectly.
Marie and Jean. For sure not enough to go back to the house full of shrieking little freaks.
So why am I going back, actually?

* * *
“Class dismissed.”
At last. It’s not that I don’t like teaching, but children can be really irritating sometimes. Actually, to be honest, the more appealingly beautiful it is outside, the more irritating they seem. Just like today. Time to take advantage of the weather. Come to think of it, Jean was right. It does sound funny in my mouth. What…
“Ah’m sorry, Miss Munroe, Ah’ve forgotten my pencil”
Ah, Rouge. As usual with dog-tags dangling on her neck. The only remainder of Logan, her knight in shiny armor. The tags and the memory of him. It must be really hard to have the bastard in her head but she seems ok with it. At least since Professor helped her with the nightmares.
The girl has a crush on him, that’s obvious. She’ll get hurt, that’s sure.
She couldn’t have possibly chosen poorer. He has every characteristic of a scoundrel. All you can get from him is trouble, that’s almost stamped on his forehead.
On the other hand, I can’t forget what he did for her. I don’t really know what to think about it.
One thing is certain; he’s the most arrogant person I’ve had misfortune to meet. And I tried to be nice to him. I won’t be any more.
Probably, I won’t even have chance for it. It’s been almost two months since the Liberty Island. Only Rouge still believes that he will come back. He promised her. But he doesn’t look like a man who keeps his promises.

* * *
The main hall was empty. He took a look around. Nothing’s changed. Even the scents were the same. He easily discerned two particular elements of this aromatic pandemonium: jasmine and roses. Rouge and Jean. They were somewhere in the mansion. However it was another scent that was getting stronger with every moment. Sandalwood.
“Storm,” he said before turning to her.
“Wolverine. The surprise of the month.” Her voice was dry and her eyes cold. Just like they’d been the day he derided her proposition of his joining the team. She took that hard apparently.
He hadn’t expected warm welcome and he was right because it was clear he wasn’t going to get one. At least not from her.
“Did you find what you were looking for?”
“No”
“So you’re back for new instructions?” Was it a trace of sarcasm?
“Sort of” he answered curtly. He wasn’t going to make it easy for her.
A sudden rush of jasmine.
“Logan!” The next moment two thoroughly covered arms were nearly strangling him. He freed himself from the embrace and gave Rouge a crooked smile.
“Hey, kid” She looked really happy at his sight; he could sense it. Perhaps coming back wasn’t such a bad idea after all.
“Ah’ve got your tags.” She fumbled at her neck and handed him his dog-tags. He glanced at them. His name and number. His fucking number.
“Keep them if you want”
Storm was looking at him with the mixture of reprimand and curiosity, not easy thing to achieve in one stare.
“I’m sure you want to see Professor. He’s in his office.” Without waiting for an answer she marched towards Professor’s office.
“Ah’ll talk with you later. Ah’m glad you’re back.” Rouge smiled at him sheepishly and walked off.
He entered the office. Roses. Jean. And her lapdog, standing beside her straight like a poker, staring at him as if he wanted to kill him with the sheer gaze. By an irony of fate, he was the only person in the world that was capable of actually doing that. Jean smiled at him slightly. A little apprehensively but warmly. That should be interesting.
“Welcome back, Logan. Was your trip successful?” Professor was as polite as always.
“There’s nothing in Alkali except for snow.”
“I’m truly sorry to hear it, Logan.” He face frowned with concern. “If you agree, I’ll try to read your mind again later. Maybe I’ll find something better this time”
Logan nodded.
“Your room is waiting for you. We’ll be delighted if you stayed”
He nodded again. Feeling that the audience has come to the end, he shot a glance to Jean, who blushed almost imperceptibly and headed for the door. Before going out he turned to Cyclops.
“Thanks for the machine” he threw him the keys. Scott stiffened even more. It was obvious that he wanted to snap something in return, but wasn’t going to do that in front of Professor. Logan laughed inwardly. The prospects of the next couple of days were getting really good.
Storm’s piercing gaze didn’t leave the back of his head until he was out of sight.

to be continued...





You must login () to review.