Hawk was staring dumbstruck at the victim. Storm noticed the horrified look in her eyes- even though her face was impassive- and how she stood rigidly. The victim's name was Jennifer Carlosa. Sixteen, reported missing when she come home from the library last night, and found in this alley, not far from the original crime scene, by some joggers. Her throat had been slashed open and she had been gutted in the stomach.

Storm got up from where she was kneeling and gently turned Hawk away form the scene. "Maybe you should wait in the car," she suggested. Hawk nodded slowly, as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. Then she walked shakily back to the car. Storm sighed, this was going to be a long day.

XMD

Logan returned from the morgue into the office where Hawk and Storm were. Hawk was on her laptop, listening to her iPod. "Storm," Logan called quietly. Storm looked up, and he nodded slightly for her to come his direction. Storm looked Hawk's direction, making sure she didn't notice her getting up; then turned his walked his way.

"Farther in," she said, walking a little farther down the corridor, where the wall met the open area of the desks.

"Why?" Logan asked following her lead.

"She can read lips. I don't want her to know the gruesome details of the attack. Is it the same guy?"

"Yes. He's upped his MO though, he wanted his victim to experience what he offered, then killed her. She probably rejected him, though, there were defensive wounds on her wrists."

"If this continues Logan," Storm said, the fear clear in her quiet voice. "No female teenager will be safe on the street by them self." She looked past him toward the desk area, particularly at Hawk. "Not even her."

XMD

Storm went out with Sabretooth the next night, leaving Hawk alone. Hawk got bored and called Logan over. "Hey," Hawk said, as he walked in. "Thanks for coming over." She closed the door. "I ordered Pizza. Should be here within the next few-" There was a knock on the door. "Or now." She opened the door and gave the guy the money while receiving two boxes of large pizzas. "Hope you like pepperoni. If not, pick it off and give it to me so you can have plain cheese."

She grabbed some Pepsi, a , and some plates and placed them in the living room. "Wanna play cards?"

"I didn't think you'd gamble at your age. Plus, I don't think Gambit is a good influence on you if you do."

"I don't," Hawk replied, laughing. "I was wondering if you knew how to play Auction Rumy. My grandmother taught me how to play. And it doesn't involve money."

"Deal it."

XMD

Storm came in to see Logan and Hawk on the X-box 360, playing Rock band. Hawk was obviously singing 'Everybody's Fool' by Evanescence.

"Never was and never will be

You don't know how you betrayed me

Somehow now you're everybody's fool"

Logan was on either the guitar or base, a little frustrated with the game controller. "Oh yeah!" Hawk cheered as she got a hundred percent flawless. Logan got an eighty-six percent got skills.

"Well, I see you had some fun while I was gone, Hawk."

"You said, no friends over. Logan's not a friend, he's a colleague."

"I really hate it when you find the loop-holes."

Hawk was giggling. Storm turned to Logan. "How bad did she kick you Logan?"

"Beat me twice in Auction Rumy, and Thirteen times at this game."

"Hey! You had a pretty good score on drums. I can't even keep the beat," Hawk said.

"You should know by now, Logan that she'll more than likely beat you on the mic. That's her main strength."

"Yeah, I learned that after the third time."

Hawk giggled.

"I should go now," Logan said after an awkward silence between him and Storm.

"Sure," Storm said walking him out. Sabretooth just walked in through the door. "I'm goin' to bed," Hawk said, walking out of the room.

Storm sighed, and looked back at Sabretooth. "Goodnight, Victor."

XMD

The next day, everyone was working hard. There tried to find connections with Valdez and Carlosa. There was nothing that seemed to connect them. They went on like this until Friday. Hawk had stayed home that day, trying to take a small break. There had been four others, all of them the same age range as her. Storm came home exhausted. "Hey," Hawk said, looking up from the floor where she was playing solitaire. "So, I was thinking that maybe we could stay home, order some pizza, get some ice cream-"

"Hawk, what are you talking about?" Storm asked.

"It's girls night. Don't you remember?"

Realization came in to Storm's eyes. "Oh, no."

"You forgot, didn't you?" Hawk demanded.

"Hawk, I'm really sorry," Storm said. "I told Victor that we-"

"Oh, so it's Victor now?"

"Hawk, please. This case is getting to all of us. I forgot all about our Girl's Night, and I thought that maybe going out tonight would be good us."

"But it's Girl's Night, Storm. The night where it's just us. No work, no friends, just me and you." She got up and started for her room. Then paused and turned back to her, tears in her eyes. "Hope you have fun with Victor."

With that she spun on her heel and stormed to her room. "Hawk-" Storm tried.

"Go away!" Hawk's door slammed and Storm could hear the sobs coming from the room. She sighed as a knock came onto the door. It was Victor. Storm took out her cell phone and called Logan. "Just a minute," Storm said to the door as the phone rang. Logan answered on the second. "Hello?"

"Logan," Storm said. "Hey, it's Storm. Could you do me a favor?"

"Sure. What is it?" he asked, clearly curious about why she wasn't on a girl's night.

"Hawk and I got into a fight, and I'm going out with Victor. Do you think you could possibly check in on her... thanks."

There was another knock. "I'm coming." Storm said, looking back at Hawk's room before going out.





You must login () to review.