Logan came in a little later. He used the spare key to get in, and saw that the living room was empty, minus a deck of Star Wars cards that were scattered in front of the coffee table. His keen ears picked up music coming from one of the bedrooms. He walked down a small hallway to his left and stopped in front of a door. There was a bedroom to his left and a spare room to his right.

'Cause nobody wants to be the last one there

'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares...

However, despite the volume of the music, he could hear sobs. He knocked.

"Go away!"

"Hawk?" Logan asked, opening the door. Big mistake. He had to close it quickly to keep from being hit by a stuffed animal. The music was turned off and there was a shuffle of feet. Hawk opened door.

"Oh, it's you," she said dully. "Sorry, I thought you were Storm."

"Wouldn't Storm have a higher pitch," Logan asked.

Hawk scowled. "Don't start, okay? I had my music on and it was a group called Nickelback that was singing- a group with nothing but guys. Or were you not payin' attention?"

Logan finally realized why he never wanted to cross Hawk during her bad days. Then something struck him. "Why didn't you throw a fireball at me?"

"You're kiddin' me. Storm'll kill me if I so much as scorch the place." She sighed. "Want some pizza?"

"Sure."

"Pepperoni?" Hawk asked when she reached the phone on the counter.

"Whatever you want."

After ordering the pizza, Hawk joined Logan in the living room and picked up her cards. "Pizza'll be here in twenty," she said. "Wanna play Rock Band?"

"Uh..." Logan said, remembering what happened last time.

Hawk laughed. "Don't worry, I'll play the electric guitar this time."

XMD

After the pizza arrived, they both paused the game and sat down to eat. "I'm tellin' ya, Logan," Hawk said, grabbing a slice. "As soon as Storm stops dating, I'm gonna go on Pizza strike for awhile."

"Got a question for ya," Logan said. "Why don't you ever call Storm 'mom' or somethin' like that?"

He suddenly realized he hit a mark as a dark look came over Hawk's face. "Because she's not," she said, with just a hint of bitterness. After a moment, it went away. "Why do you call her 'Ro instead or Ororo?"

"It's easier to say. You didn't answer my question."

"Yes I did."

"Doesn't qualify."

She shot him a look. "Oh, you're good. Fine," she said after a moment. "It's because she's not my real mother. She's more like a big sister to me. I don't want another mother, nor do I need another mother." She got up and unpaused the game. "And since you asked me such a personal question, I'm goin' on the mic."

Logan groaned and got on the drums. Hawk chose 'Awake and Alive' by Skillet.

I'm at war with the world and
they try to pull me into the dark...

XMD

Hawk went into the kitchen early the next morning, and grabbed some yogurt for breakfast. That's when she saw Storm's note.

Meet you at the show. I'll make up last night to you.
Promise.

-Storm.

Hawk crumpled the note and tossed it into the trash. "Right," she muttered. "If she's not with Victor."

XMD

Storm was looking through the files, trying to find any connection between their victims, when Logan got her attention. "Doesn't Hawk have that competition today?"

Storm looked at the clock. 2:30. Hawk's competition started at two. She was late.

XMD

Hawk looked up at the stands. Storm wasn't there. Midnight looked up at her, with a hopeful look in her eyes. "She's not comin'," Hawk said bitterly, "so, better not get our hopes up." Then, she cantered out of the gate and began her round.

XMD

Storm was stuck in traffic when she looked at the clock. It was almost three o'clock. She had missed the show.

XMD

Hawk had just finished putting Midnight back into her stall when Sabretooth came up behind her. "Nice job kid."

"Will you stop calling me that?" she asked, not really in the mood to deal with him. "What do you want?"

"Storm asked me to pick you up." Hawk knew automatically that was a lie. Storm knew how much she disliked the guy, and how he made her feel uncomfortable. There was a glint in his eyes that made Hawk's danger sense and mental alarms go off. She looked down to see a gun, concealed in his jacket, pointed at her.

"Wanna put that away?" she asked. Isis, get ready behind the door.

"Listen, girlie," he growled. "Either you come with me quietly, or I'll kill one of your riding friends."

"You're gonna regret that."

"We'll see."

Isis!

A white wolf suddenly shot over the door and clamped her jaw over the wrist that held the pistol. Sabretooth growled in pain while Hawk smirked. "Hurts, doesn't it?"

"What's goin' on here?" Logan asked, coming in as Isis let go of Sabretooth's wrist.

"Nothing," Hawk said, walking out of the stables.

XMD

Storm walked through the show grounds, looking for Hawk. Suddenly, she saw a tall redhead with freckles on her face and blue eyes. It was one of Hawk's riding buddies, Emily Johnson. "Emily," she called.

Emily looked up from talking with a girl Storm didn't recognize. "Hi, ."

"Have you seen Hawk?"

"Last I saw she was in the stables. There also this tall scruffy guy too."

"She left with him." The other girl said.

"Thanks, girls. Could you tell me how she did? I got caught up at work."

Emily suddenly got uncomfortable. She knew how important this competition was to Hawk- and how upset she would be if Storm missed it. "She and I are going to the championships. She placed first and I placed second on Dancing Winds." Dancing winds was a chestnut Arabian mare.

"Ok, thanks."

"Anytime."

Storm headed toward the stables. This was not her day.

XMD

Hawk had gotten into Logan's car as soon as she left the stables. "What happened?" Logan asked, not starting the car.

"I don't know," Hawk said. "You tell me. He just came in and pointed a gun at me. Said he would kill one of my friends if I didn't go with him."

"Want to press charges?"

Hawk sighed and shook her head. "No, don't bother. No one could see the gun, and if I tell Storm it will be my word against his. Plus, who would believe a fifteen year old who obviously dislikes him?"

Logan sighed. "You're right."

"Logan," Hawk said, fear creeping into her voice. "When you guys said that there was no DNA on the hunting knives, did you guys check the hilts like I suggested on Lillienna's?"

"No. Why?"

"We have to go to the office. Now."

XMD

Storm reached the stables and saw that Victor was there. "Victor, what are you doing here?"

"I heard you were coming over here, and was hoping I could take you to the next crime scene."

"There's been another victim?" Storm asked.

"Yes."

"Alright, I suppose I could pick up my car later."

XMD

"I couldn't find any DNA epithelial between the hilts," Rogue said to Hawk and Logan back at the office.

"You sure?" Hawk asked.

"Positive."

"Thanks, Rogue."

Hawk turned to Logan. "Do you know where Storm is?"

"No."

Hawk sighed exasperatedly. "She's probably out with Creed. Could you tell her to call me when she gets in? I'll be at my apartment."

"Sure."

XMD

Storm stepped out of the car. They were at a forest of some kind. Probably a park. Problem was that there wasn't a single car around. She walked toward the trees a little and stopped. Maybe the others were on horseback, but she didn't see any, nor did she see any hoof prints. "Victor, this isn't a crime scene."

"I know," he whispered in her ear. Storm froze. She felt something against her back, and realized it was a gun. Then, it all came together, and hit her like a lightning bolt.

"You're the teenage killer," she whispered, fear starting to paralyze her. If she turned around quickly, he would shoot; there was no way she could disarm him.

"Yes," he replied. "Now move."

Storm did as she was told. Why didn't she listen to Hawk?

XMD

Logan looked at the clock. Five o'clock. Where the heck was she? He called her cellphone for the fourth time, and still got her voice mail. Something wasn't right.

XMD

"Alright, stop." Sabretooth smiled as he pointed the gun at the woman he'd been dating for the past couple of weeks. He could feel the fear coming off of her in waves. This aroused him, and made him wonder what it would be like to actually touch her. He was hoping to get to the younger one and get rid of her so that he would be able to get to this one, but this could work also. The kid was probably going to harder to control though. He could see in her eyes that she was one of the headstrong stubborn ones who needed to be controlled.

The goddess'- that was what he liked to think of her as- breathing became hectic as he turned her around. Her hands were in the air, and her eyes were wide. He grabbed her neck, and she started to make gurgling sounds.

XMD

Storm tried to escape his grip, but that only made the pain worse. She was also starting to have problems breathing. It was a good thing that she never told him what her power was. "Victor... let... me... go."

He wasn't listening. He just stared at her lustfully. "Scream for me," he whispered.

Storm's eyes turned white as she summoned a lightning bolt. Victor didn't know what was going on, until he looked up and saw the thunderhead in the sky. There was a warning rumble of thunder, but he just roared. Storm shot the lightning bolt dead into his chest. He was shot backwards into a row of trees. Storm got some of her breath back, and started farther into the trees. She created a thick fog around her, so thick that only she could see through it. She had to get out of here as fast as possible. Only problem was, she didn't know she was heading farther into the trees.

XMD

Sabretooth got up almost immediately. She didn't know she could easily heal himself. He saw the fog, and smiled sinisterly. You want to play, witch, let's play...


Chapter End Notes:
Did you guys honestly think that I would keep this a Sabre/Storm thing? I told you guys how much I dislike this pairing, and now I'm breaking it off. Finally.



You must login () to review.