Hawk woke up the next morning to her cell phone ringing. She reached over for her phone. "Hello?"

XMD

Storm didn't know how long she was running last night; but she had eventually fell and went to sleep almost immediately. She woke up, with the fog still around her, thankfully, and was about to start running again when she remembered her cell phone. She picked it up and dialed Hawk's number, praying she would pick up and not look at the caller I.D. and ignore her. "Hello?" Hawk said drowsily.

"Hawk?" Storm asked...

XMD

"Storm," Hawk asked shooting up, and getting out of bed. "Storm where the heck are you? You didn't come home last night. If you're with Victor, I swear I will kill you. You do realize you missed the greatest show of my life?"

"Yes, Hawk, I know."

"And why did you send Victor to pick me up?"

"Hawk, I didn't send Victor. He met me at the show, telling me there as another crime scene."

"Why would..." Hawk let her voice trail off. She was only testing Storm, but the way Storm spoke was troubling her. "Oh my gosh! Storm where are you?"

"I don't know." Hawk ran into the living room and turned on the TV, there was a newscast in front of the forest not too far from where she lived. "I'm in some kind of forest," Storm continued as she turned the TV on.

"That would explain the fog on the TV," Hawk said, flipping to another news channel.

"What?"

"Storm, it's all over the morning news. Unexplained fog in the densest part of a forest."

"Do... f.. me..a...ge... o..."

"What? Storm you're breaking up."

"I said...Lo..."

"What? Storm. Storm? Are you there?" Hawk looked at her phone. She had signal; Storm probably didn't. Hawk ran to her room to get dressed.

XMD

"Hawk?" Storm asked. She looked at her phone. Poor signal. "Stupid service," she muttered. She got up, and, feeling the air displacements and sensing someone coming towards her, started running again. Although, she didn't realize she lost a shoe until too late.

XMD

Sabretooth sniffed the air. He had ran into over a dozen trees thanks to the fog before he figured out her pattern. The fog was starting to thin out. Playing hide and seek?

XMD

"Logan!" Hawk called, rushing in to the office area. Logan looked up from the files he was reading. "What?" he asked.

"You were right," Hawk said, catching her breath. "Creed's a dirty cop."

"How do you know?"

"Did you find any connections between the victims?"

"No."

"That's... Oh my gosh, I can't believe I overlooked it." Hawk said.

"What?"

"All of them went to Bayville high. That's the same school around my area. They were all walking home, alone, at night, from either a party, cafe, etc. All of them close to the forest."

"What's the connection again?"

"They were all teenagers in high school. All around the same age. That's what our killer liked."

"I don't get it, what's this got to do with Creed?"

"He did it. That's why he was at the show with the gun. I was to be his next victim. But, now he has Storm."

"What?"

"Come on. I'll explain in the car."

XMD

Storm stumbled again, twisting her ankle and losing her other shoe. She didn't have time to check it, since she knew Sabretooth probably wasn't far behind her. Scrambling to her feet again she started farther into the dense forest. She wished she could fly into the air, but the tree branches were too low.

XMD

"So, he wanted to go out with Storm so that he could get close to you?" Logan asked, racing down the streets.

"Yes. Turn left here," Hawk said, grabbing the door handle as Logan made the turn. They stopped when they saw Creed's car. Hawk got out and ran toward it, but there was no one inside.

"Great," Hawk muttered. "They must've gone into the forest. We're gonna need horses for this job."

"I'll call them in."

"Wait," Hawk said. "I'm calling the shots on this. Midnight Storm knows this forest area like the back of her hoof."

"You've been through here before?"

"Just to practice. When you're competing, you need to know and go through all sorts of terrains. This area is the best for cross-country."

"You're not going in there alone; I'm not going to be responsible if you get lost."

"Logan, Logan," Hawk tsked. "You underestimate me... Isis!"

A white wolf jumped out of the back of the car that Hawk telekinetically opened. Logan jumped back in surprise. "How did that get into the car?"

Isis growled. She didn't like being referred to like an object. "I hid her back there, and told her to be quiet. She can easily track Storm better than any bloodhound. I also have aerial support." She turned away from him. "Sky!"

A hawk swooped down and landed on Hawk's arm. "This is Sky, my hawk. Without her, I'd probably still be in those trees."

"Is that why you're called Hawk?"

"Only partially. Now, I have to call Emily. She knows these woods also; plus she has a trailer that can get both of our horses here in a jiffy."

"Who's Emily?"

"Emily Johnson. She's a close friend of mine, and a riding buddy. I wouldn't trust Midnight with anyone else- except maybe a few other people." Hawk tool out her cell phone and dialed Emily's number.

X

Emily broke off the conversation she was having with a friend at the stables where she kept Dancing Winds and answered her cell phone. "Hello?"

"Emily!" a female voice said on the other line. "It's me."

"Hawk?"

"Yeah. Listen, I need a favor. Do you think you can bring Dancer and Midnight down to the forest where we practice our cross-country? The one near by my apartment."

"Yeah, I think so... why?"

"Let's just say that I'll owe you once we're out of this. It has to do with the teenager killer."

Emily perked up at this. "Okay. Meet you in ten."

X

Hawk hung up the phone. "Okay, she's on her way. She says she'll be here in ten minutes."

"You two are not going in there alone," Logan said firmly. "We don't need another dead body of a teenager."

"Logan, I'm the only one- besides Emily- who knows these woods better than anyone. It's going to take too long for back up to arrive with other horses, and by then we might be too late. It's our only chance."

X

Emily arrived fifteen minutes later. "Sorry, we're late. I had to convince my dad."

They lowered the ramp and backed out the horses that were already tacked up. "Thanks for tacking her up for me," Hawk said, mounting her horse.

"Figured you would need to get on as fast as possible," Emily replied.

"Alright, Emily, Isis and I will head Northwest, Logan head North, just in case they've swerved Isis will take the lead. She'll howl once if she's found something, twice if she's found Storm. We'll be able to keep in contact through our walkie talkies. Emily and I will stay near each other at all times. We don't need Sabretooth to get another victim."

X

Emily and Hawk rode out for about fifteen minutes, calling Storm's name. They gave up calling her name after the first five minutes. "So who is this 'Sabretooth' guy?" Emily asked.

"Apparently, he's Storm's boyfriend, a dirty cop, and a lying murdering rapist all into one."

"You really don't like this guy do you?"

"Would you?" Hawk shot back.

"No," Emily replied. "Not really."

The two stopped for a moment and looked around. Suddenly, there was a howl. "Isis," Hawk said. They both started galloping as Isis howled again several seconds later. They found Isis by a tree. Hawk dismounted and looked at what Isis was sniffing. It was Storm's shoe. "This is Storm's," Hawk said to Emily. Hawk remounted as Logan came on her radio. "Hawk, I've got nothin'. I heard Isis' howl; what does she have?"

"It's Storm's shoe, Logan. Want me to give you our location?"

"Sure."

"Give me a sec." Hawk took out a mini revolver from the saddlebag.

"Where'd you get that?" Emily asked.

"I stole it from Storm's safe," Hawk said. "There's a detective called Shadowcat on the squad, she can go through any solid object-"

"And you used your shape-shifting ability to go through the safe," Emily finished.

"Yeah. Hold to Dancer tightly now; she's probably going to rear."

"I sure hope you know what your doing, Hawk."

Hawk raised the gun and shot it. Both of the horses reared, but they didn't bolt; which was a good thing for the girls. Logan appeared a moment later. "What happened?" he demanded. Then he saw the revolver as Hawk put it back into her saddlebag. "Where did you get that?"

"I got it from Storm's safe," Hawk replied curtly. "She's carrying a similar weapon, but it's on her ankle, and it's probably dropped. The good news is that she got away from Sabretooth-"

That may not be so, Hawk, Isis said.

"What do you mean, Isis?" Hawk asked looking at her.

I picked up Sabretooth's scent also. Storms' is fainter than his, but only slightly. It could be that she got away, but I can't be certain.

"Great," Hawk muttered, turning back to the others. "Okay, scratch that. We know she got away from him, but it's possible he caught up."

"What do we do now?" Emily asked.

"Fan out," Hawk said, "Storm's shoe is pointing that direction..." she pointed straight ahead of them. "...more than likely she went that direction. You and I will go straight, while Isis tracks her down. Logan, go farther right, but also keep straight ahead."

They all nodded in confirmation, and raced off.

X

Storm didn't know how far she had run, and she didn't really care. Suddenly, she tumbled down a sheer drop in the hill. When she stopped, her ankle was burning with pain. She tried to get up, but couldn't; it caused her too much pain. It was just her luck that the branches were too low for her to fly; she could just manipulate the winds to lift her up into the air.

She crawled a couple of feet to her right. She was tired, hungry, thirsty, and in agony. She was only a few from the tree, when she passed out.





You must login () to review.