Hey, guys, Hawk called to everyone else. You've got to get out of here... NOW! Then she turned to Kurt. Kurt, round up everyone, and teleport out of the building. It's about to blow.

No sooner had Nightcrawler vanished with the others, than the building came crashing down. Dazzler and Shadowcat rushed forward and started to shift through the debris, trying to find any sign of one of their best friend or mentors.

XXXXX

Hawk brought down her force field and gently repulsed the debris away from her. Then, she looked around. "Logan?" she called. "Logan!"

The debris shifted slightly a few feet farther ahead. Hawk telekinetically gripped the debris lifted it up- as if she were lifting up a boulder- and tipped it over. Logan was hunched over Storm, who was still knocked out. "Is she alright?" Hawk called, heading over to where they were.

"I think so," Logan replied as she reached him. "I kept her shielded until the debris stopped falling."

"And, is that a good thing?" Hawk asked, crossing her arms teasingly.

"If I hadn't, the debris would've squashed her like a bug!"

Hawk rolled her eyes, ignoring that last comment. "I'm kidding. Look, let me just take a look at her, okay?" She gently placed her hands on Storm's head and slipped inside her mind...

XXXXX

Logan saw Hawk wince a little, and wondered if Storm was in pain, or if this was too much for Hawk. She opened her eyes a few seconds later, shaking her head to clear it. "So?" he asked.

"So?"

Logan knew she was pulling his strings, but went along with it anyway. "So what's goin' on? Is she gonna be alright?"

Hawk exhaled, blowing a strand of hair out of her face, before brushing it aside. "She'll be fine. She's just groggy, and extremely exhausted. She's gonna need alot of rest," Hawk smiled gleefully, after she said "rest." "Which means, she can't teach; which means, no classes." She pumped her hands in a little dance move.

Logan quirked an eyebrow. "You're happy that she's injured?"

"No..." Hawk said hesitantly, trying to choose her words carefully. "I mean, I'm happy that there aren't any classes, but there are easier ways to get that. Like... mind control. Although, I can't exactly do that yet... but, I should try it sometime-"

Logan shot her a murderous glare.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," she said, holding her hands up defensively. "Sheesh, you should know by now that I'm very sarcastic."

"Hawk! Logan!" Kitty called.

They looked up to see the rest of the X-squad heading towards them.

XXXXX

After the jet landed, Logan to Storm to the infirmary. Everyone else disembarked and headed off to the locker rooms. "Hey, y'all," Rogue said as the girls came out of the locker room to head to the common room. "Look at what the cat drug in."

"Laura," they girls said, as they came gathered to give Laura a hug, before backing off. Laura Kinney- also called Talon- was one of the new recruits. Rumor was that she had two claws one each hand- one on the index and one on the ring fingers- that were made of adamantium. Emma Frost found her a couple of months ago working as a waitress and disappears after a fight at the club she worked at, only to reappear and help the X-man out at a car accident. She also had Logan's fiery personality, which made Hawk wonder if they were related in some way.

"Hey, guys," Laura replied, "I'm here to see Logan... and talk to about something."

"They're in the infirmary," Hawk said.

"So, the mission was a success?" Rogue asked.

Hawk nodded. "But Storm was 'psychically examined' by someone called the Red Queen. In other words she was 'psychically tortured'. "

Rogue, Kitty, Talon, and Dazzler gasped and blanched at her news. "She's going to be alright, though," Hawk assured them. "She just can't teach for awhile; which, on the bright side of things, means no classes."

Rogue, knowing that Hawk liked being more of an optimist than a pessimist, shrugged off the last comment. "Well that's a good thing- despite the way we got it."

The others nodded in agreement.

"Well this was a nice chat," Laura said. "Now, can someone take me to the infirmary?"

Peter came out of his locker room, and offered to take her there, and the other girls went upstairs and played a game of pool.

XXXXX

Logan sat by Storm's bedside, waiting for her to wake up. There was a knock the door. "Hey, Logan," Peter said, walking in. "Someone stopped by to see you."

Logan turned to see Laura Kinney there. "Hey there, squirt," he said. Laura scowled, but pulled up a chair next to him anyway. Peter left them.

"So what exactly happened?" Laura asked.

Logan shrugged. "You'd have to ask Hawk that question. I don't think I really want to know."

"That brunette chick who's happy about not having classes?"

Logan nodded. "It may not seem like it at first, but she means well. She just has a bit of social awkwardness."

"How on earth would she know? Was she there when it happened?"

"She somehow created a psychic-link with Storm. A pretty strong one I might add. Whatever pain Storm feels, she'll feel it also."

"I thought that she was a shape-shifter who could also control fire? That's what everyone else says."

Logan snorted. "They were probably just worried Hawk was eavesdropping on 'em. Believe me, she's not you're typical eavesdropper that puts a glass to the closed door."

"Then where does she do it?"

Logan pointed upwards. "Air vents."

"Wow," Laura replied.

Sorry to interrupt guys, but we've got a situation up here, Hawk said to them telepathically.

"Have you been eavesdropping on us, eavesdropper?" Logan demanded, using one of Storm's little nicknames for her.

No, Hawk said irritably, then went all cheery on him. Anything interesting?

What's the situation, Hawk?

Okay, okay. Yeesh. There's some strange mutant up here. We've managed to get him out in the yard, but I don't think we can hold him off much longer.


Logan sighed. "Want to finish this later?"

"Sure."

XXXXX

As Angel tried to capture the mutant, he came crashing down. "It's his eyes," she heard him mutter through his comset. "Hawk, he's heading your direction; don't look at him in the eyes. He'll bring out your worst fear."

"Uh... Angel, I don't have a fear. I'm not really afraid of anything."

"Don't you hate insects?"

"Certain ones. The worst I have is a flying wasp- or something along that family line. That's something to be afraid of, so that's legit- oh, that's what you mean...

"Wait, our worst fear?"

"Yeah... what are you thinking?"

"Get everyone to the courtyard. Lure this... Empath... there too, I've got an idea."

"Are you sure it's gonna work?"

"C'mon, Angel, have any of my ideas gone wrong?"

"Want me to remind you what happened last time someone listened to you?"

"Not really," Hawk replied. He was talking about her 'blitzkreig' idea with the Shadow King. Storm had gotten a terrible migraine from that. "Look, this is somethin' completely different."

"Whatever you say... Crystal."

Hawk rolled her eyes. "How many times have I told you not to call me, Crystal?"

"Can't help that you look like her."

"Oh, I'll show you what's crystal... perhaps your wings?"

"We're all going to the clearing now."

Smart move, Hawk thought. "Who's baiting?"

"Wolverine blindfolded."

"This I gotta see," Hawk said, as she telepathically reached out to Midnight Storm...

XXXXX

Midnight Storm was chewing lazily on her hay, when Hawk called her. Storm, get out here.

Why?
Storm asked.

I need you out here to try something.

Storm did a horse-sigh, then used her teeth to get open the lock on her stall door.

XXXXX

When Hawk got to the clearing in the courtyard, Logan was already there. "Hawk," he said into his com. "I could use your little idea anytime now."

"Okay, Logan, we just need to wait for Midnight-"

There was a sound of hooves.

"Right in schedule," Hawk said, southern accent coming out.

"Alright girl, I need you to do what we do in join-up and circle around that guy, chasing Logan."

You want me to bond with this lunatic?

"No, just circle him until he passes out or something. It'll be difficult, I know, but I'll help you."

You owe me!

XXXXX

Midnight galloped ahead and Hawk made that guy think that Midnight was a shape-shifter. He looked at Midnight, directly in the eyes, and her flight instincts kicked in. Hawk dove into Midnight's mind, and put up mental blocks to keep Empath out, and Midnight circling so that she wouldn't just gallop off. Hawk could tell instantly that this guy was an amateur. He kept twisting around, and around, trying to bring Midnight's fear to life. What he didn't know was, as soon as you look at a horse directly in the eye, you automatically scare them.

After a few minutes, Empath was so dizzy, he collapsed. Hawk nodded to Beast, who shot a tranquilizer dart at him, and Nightcrawler came and teleported him to the infirmary. Hawk went to Midnight and finished what the intruder started. After a couple of laps, Midnight's inner ear seemed to become fixed on her; then she started making a chewing motion after a couple of more laps, and then slowed to a canter, and lowered her head, as if she were bowing to her. Hawk stopped glaring at Storm, and turned away from her, looking down. Almost as if they had rehearsed it, Storm trotted up to her and placed her head on Hawk's shoulder. In reward, Hawk turned around and gently rubbed Storm between the eyes, being careful not look at them.

"Using your empathy on her?" a gruff voice asked behind her. She didn't need to turn around to know who it was.

"No," she replied evenly. "For your information, Logan, it's a gentling technique that I've used many times on her. Even before I knew I was a mutant."

"Didn't look like it to me."

Hawk rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Logan." She walked off toward the stables, Midnight trailed after her, a little closer than normal.





You must login () to review.