Logan looked at the main console. His co-pilot, Storm- Ororo Munroe- had fallen asleep, leaving Logan to pilot. Logan didn't blame her, she'd had a tough couple of days trying to locate the missing children from the institute, rescuing them, and escape a flood. He knew she was probably worn out.

In the back, Jubilation Lee- Jubilee- Artie, Marie- Rogue- Robert Louise "Bobby" Drake- Iceman- and the rest of the children were asleep; along with Jean Grey, Scott Summers-Cyclops- Kurt Wagner- the incredible Nightcrawler- and Professor Charles Xavier- Professor X. Logan figured that he should probably land and set up camp. Problem was, he didn't know how to land the jet. He looked down at his left hand, which Storm had fallen asleep holding. He hadn't wanted to disturb her, so he just let his hand remain intertwined with hers. He still didn't know that he wanted to disturb her though. Well, if he got a lightning bolt, he risked it.

Storm stirred a little as Logan squeezed her hand. "Wake up, darlin'," Logan said quietly.

Storm opened her eyes slowly. "Goddess," she said tiredly, "how long have I been out?"

"A couple of hours. The others are asleep in the back. I was wonderin' if we should land this thing and set up camp."

Storm nodded. "Probably a good idea. I don't think I want to know what would happen if you fell asleep."

Logan scowled at her, and she chuckled. "Better go wake the others," she continued. Logan nodded as he got up out of his seat.

Already done, Logan, Professor X said telepathically. He must've overheard their conversation. Logan nodded, then spun around and went back to the co-pilot's seat. "Chuck's taken care of it."

Storm looked at him, then rolled her eyes. Logan just managed to get buckled when they hit some turbulence. He hung on for dear life until they landed. Storm lowered the ramp and they disembarked; Nightcrawler teleporting the Professor, and Scott supporting Jean- who had somehow broken her leg- as they got off. The kids followed afterward, leaving Storm and Logan the last ones to be getting off. "I don't know what it is with you and flying," Storm commented as she unbuckled her harness.

Logan shrugged. "Don't remember."

XX

After setting up camp, Storm, Logan and the kids partnered up to get some firewood. Jubilee was with Artie; Rougue and Bobbby, and the two other gilrs and two other boys were partnered with each other, while Storm walked with Logan. During this time, Logan noticed how relaxed Storm seemed to be, walking through the trees. It was as if the events of the past couple of days never happened. She turned her head when she felt his eyes on her. "What?"

"Nothin'," Logan replied. "It's jsut that you seem so relaxed, like nothing has changed."

Storm shrugged. " I just enjoy nature. Always have. D'you think we should head back now?"

Logan nodded. They both had two handfuls of sticks and twigs, which was more than enough to get a fire started."

XX

After getting a fire started, Storm used her control over the winds to channel a constant breeze at the base of the fire, to keep it hot. The kids then started to tell ghost stories, and fell asleep after a couple of hours.

Storm was the last one to fall asleep. She fell into a fitful sleep about mutant 143- Jason Stryker, the Allusionist- the pain she felt when she was attacked by Cerebro, and, worst of all, Amahl Farouk, the living embodiment of evil in her life.

As these dreams assaulted her, the weather began to grow restless outside.

XX

Logan woke up to the sound of thunder and howling winds. He looked outside to see thunderheads cover the sky like a blanket. "Logan!" Rogue called from next door, peering out of her tent also. "What's goin' on?"

Logan shrugged. "I don't know kid."

Suddenly, Scott bursted from his tent and rushed into Storm's, who was also next door. Logan followed. Storm was tossing, turning and moaning in her sleep as he came inside. Logan turned to Scott. "What's goin' on?"

"Storm's having a nightmare," Scott explained. "Whenever that happens, the weather responds to it."

"Can't we just wake her up?"

Scott laughed. "Logan, what happened when Rogue woke you up?"

Logan grimaced at the memory and nearly took Scott out for reminding him. "I accidntally stabbed her," Logan seethed.

"Right," Scott replied. "Now, think of that, but replace the claws with over a thousand volts of electricity."

Ah, Logan thought. Now he understood; obviously the last person who tried this got electrocuted. Well, it was either get electrocuted now, or, wait out the storm and still maybe get fried. Logan decided now was better than later. He crouched down beside her shoulder and began to gently shake it. "Storm," he said quietly. "Storm, wake up. Storm..."

Storm awoke with a start. Logan could say that, even with her uniform on her, that she was covered in cold sweat. And she was trembling a little. Storm looked around and saw both Logan and Scott in her tent. "What happened?"

Scott looked at her and realization struck. "Oh, no," she murmured. Then she looked back at Scott. "Was anyone hurt?"

Scott shook his head. "No. It was only just beginning when we came in."

Storm let out a breath of relief. "You sure you're okay, Storm?" Scott asked, concerned.

"I'm fine, Scott. I might just go for a walk to calm down my nerves."

Scott nodded and left. Logan stayed behind. "You can go to, Logan," Storm said.

"I'd like to stay and make sure you're okay."

"Logan, I said I was fine."

"You don't seem fine, Storm. You're shaking like a leaf."

Storm looked down and clenched her fist to keep herself from shaking, then sighed. "Come with me."

XX

Storm relaxed almost completely after the first few minutes of walking through the forest. The feeling of the wind around her made her feel like running off, and run so far that she could run forever. She resisted the urge though, and after a few minutes, she was relaxed enough to start talking to Logan. "Back at Alkali Lake, when I was in Cerebro- after the first wave- I found the Professor in an illusion that was controlled by another mutant. Jason, I think his name was."

"Stryker's son?" Logan asked.

Storm shrugged. "I think so. I'd heard rumors about the Professor wanting to help him, but Stryker wouldn't allow it. At least... not in the way he wanted it.

"Anyway, while I faced him, he reminded me of someone from my past. Someone I never want to see again in my lifetime."

"Who?"

"Amahl Farouk," Storm replied vehemently. "He calls himself the 'Shadow King'. He was a crime lord back in Cairo, and a rival of, Achmed el-Gibar, the crime lord I worked for."

"You?" Logan asked incredulously. "You worked for a crime lord?"

Storm chuckled softly. "Yes, Logan. It's not something I'm proud of, but some good did come out of it. Anyway, it happened back when I first met the Professor. I had just pick pocketed his wallet, and was making a run for it, when the Professor used a psi bolt on me. He tried using his telepathy on me, but was unable to reach me. When I came to, Farouk was standing right in front of me. I knew instantly, that I couldn't trust him, so I raced away without the Professor's wallet.

"A few days later, Farouk came by our territory, and demanded that I be turned over to him. el-Gibar refused him, of course, and I left a few days later. I'd been having this urge to go south, and that seemed as a good of a reason as any to leave."

"That's a little hard to believe, 'Ro."

"Did you think you were the only one with a past?"

XX

"Is everyone set back there?" Storm asked as the X-men and the kids all got into the back of the jet. Logan offered to take co-pilot for Scott, so that Scott could have time with Jean.

"Storm," the Professor said. Storm turned to look at him. "After we drop off the kids, we need to get Kitty Pryde and go to Stryker Industries."

Storm nodded at lifted the jet into the air. Within an hour, they were back at the Xavier mansion, and then at Stryker industries within fifteen minutes. Then, they set off for the white house.





You must login () to review.