Title: Trouble with Remembering prt2
Disclaimer: None of the characters are mine. They belong to Marvel.
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Ro's pregnant.....So who's the father?


Several days later in Logan and Jean’s room


“You feel nice.” Jean whispered against Logan’s ear. Her tongue flicked out and licked along its edge. What should have made him reach back and pull her to him only made him stiffen. Jean pulled back and glared down at him.
“What’s going on Logan? Ever since we found out Ro’s pregnant you’ve been so distant.”
He pulled away from her dangling arms and stood up from his seat on their bed. The same bed she had shared with Slime. He silently cursed. What was the hell wrong with him! This was what he’d wanted. To be with Jeannie. In her bed. So why the hell couldn’t he get Ororo outta his mind? Easy, he’d lust after Red but fell in love with Ororo. And now that he finally had Jean he realized what he’d wanted from her wasn’t enough. Not after he’d been given a glimpse of what it was really like to have a relationship with someone. This constant nagging and pressure wasn’t it.
He cared about Jean. Always would. But since they’d been together he noticed this constant need for her to question everything he did, anywhere he went as if he needed her permission. Several times he’d even caught her trying to tanker with his mind. Even when she knew he hated that shit! He was no ones puppet to be toyed with! So why the fuck were they about to get married? Hell if he knew.
“Logan! Are you going to answer me?”
Anger spit from her green eyes as she stood with tightly folded arms, pursed lips and tapping feet.
“Nothings wrong. I just got a lot on my mind.” He muttered.
“It’s Ro, isn’t it? You regret breaking up with her.”
“Would ya stop bringing her into this room! Ororo’s moved on and so have I. With you! So drop it!”
Refusing to back down, Jean persisted. “Is the baby yours?”
“No, the fuckin kid ain’t mine! Now if ya done with the interrogation I’m gonna get some air.” Guilt sharpened his words because he had thought the same thing. Even secretly hoped it were. Good thing it wasn’t, cause what the hell would he know about raising a kid! He couldn’t even remember his own childhood. And with all the crap he had to deal with just wouldn’t have been fair.
Panic clawed at Jean’s insides. She couldn’t let him go not when things seemed so strange between them.
“Logan wait!” she cried out. “I’m sorry. It’s just with the wedding so close and with everything I still need to get done, I am a little on edge.”
He turned to look at her and saw the panic, anxiety marring her face. He’d hurt one woman he claimed to care about he couldn’t do it again. Good or bad he’d made his bed and now he’d have to live with it.
“Come here.” He said, opening his arms and closing them around her. Jean buried her head against his chest holding on tightly. Until that wasn’t enough. Raising her head, her lips sort his.
Sex.
The one thing he was always certain would be good between them. Not great bout good. After Slim he could understand why she came to his bed with barely enough knowledge to fit a spoon. He’d always known if it wasn’t written in a book then Summers wouldn’t have a clue about what to do. He taught and she learned quickly. Eagerly wanting to explore what ever he had in mind. At first it had been fun. He was molding her into what he wanted. If only he coulda stopped comparing her to Ro’s passionate, intuitive, appetites. He hadn’t had to teach her anything. Hell she taught him! Making love ta Ororo was like coming home and finding your other half waiting.
Damn! He had to stop thinking about her and concentrate on the woman he’d pledge to make his wife. Your choice has been made bub. Now live with it!
An hour later, Logan quickly got dressed and silently headed to the door. For a brief second he glanced at her peacefully sleeping form shrouded in the moonlight before quietly closing the door.

Hearing the click of the closed door, Jean opened her eyes and wiped the back of a slim hand across her wet cheeks. First, Scott and now Logan. She was loosing him and too her best friend! She should never have returned. All those terrible months trapped in the icy waters of Alkali with the only thought of returning to her husband, family and friends keeping her alive. Only to return to find Scott married to a clone of her and fathered a child she’d help send to the future. The blinding rage of those months had turned her into the reverse of what her genetic leap had given her. The dark phoenix. A murderer of living beings, planets and galaxies. So many had been destroyed by the blinding hand of her hatred. She would have continued from universe to universe except for the phoenix sensing where the real reason for her pain laid.
Earth.
She’d returned to destroy all that she’d held dear. Logan’s heartfelt words had brought her back. We missed ya, darlin.
Where her husband’s professions of love had only led her to more destruction, his simple words of grief had reach Jean Gray. And she had grabbed on to that like a lifeline. Not letting go even when she saw the torment in Scott and Ororo’s eyes. Even when she heard the rumors whispered when they thought she wasn’t listening. She knew. Ororo and Logan were together.
Selfishly, she’d hung on to Logan because he was all that she had left. All that she thought would keep the dark phoenix caged. And now she was loosing him again. With no way to escape the pain, she did not know how long…. Her eyes suddenly started to glow in a blazing burst of red-hot flames. And a single word escaped her trembling lips.
Scott

Xavier’s Study

“What the hell ya mean, she’s gone!” shouted Logan. He glared at the four men staring at him in varied degrees of emotion. Anger, jealousy, speculative amusement, and calm assurance. He settled on calm assurance. “Where’d she go Chuck.”
Xavier studied the angry man before him. For months now he’d sat back and watched the closeness between his two most complex and favored ‘children’ grow. Worry for Ororo had him keeping a tab of the situation. Because as much as he thought they two halves of the same coin, he’d also known Jean was not dead. He’d hoped by the time she was ready to return to them, the relationship between Ororo and Logan would have been strong enough to deal with Logan’s juvenile obsession with her. Then they would have been able to help Jean with the unexpected turns that occurred in her absence. Unfortunately, time had not been on their side and the resulting catastrophe was worst then he’d ever thought possible.
From Jean’s ‘death’, Scott’s marriage to Madelyne, the emergence of the Dark phoenix, subsequent loss of Scott’s son, divorce from a vengeful wife, Logan and Jean’s impending marriage, Ororo’s pregnancy and now her disappearance, the list kept growing. The resulting strain on the team, the family and school was slowly tearing down the foundation of all he’d hoped to accomplish. Sadly a large portion of that blame lay at his door. He should have been able to help or even prevent some of what happened! What was the use in being the world’s most powerful mutant if he couldn’t even help his own children? Couldn’t sense an impostor sent to steal their future? Keep his daughters from having their hearts broken by the same man?
He signed heavily. Suddenly feeling wary and old. Feeling his dream slipping from his fingers. He was possibly loosing the battle but he was not going to lose another daughter. Not if he could help it.
His eyes fixed back on Logan. “When I tried to find her with Cerebro, I had no luck. Ororo knows how to hide from its probes…..and mine. Find her, Logan and bring her home.”
The words were barely out of his mouth before Logan was running for the door. Scott raced after him.
“Logan!”
He stopped and faced the x-leader. Certain Scott was about to give him a lecture from his ‘Prick rule book’ on handling a mission. “I ain’t got time for your shit, One-eye!”
“Make time!” he sneered, coming toe to toe with Logan. “While you’re chasing after Ororo, what are you going to do about Jean? You do remember her, don’t you? She’s the woman you’re suppose to marry in less then three weeks!”
As much as Logan wanted to slam his fist into the asshole’s face he knew he was right. Jeannie should be his first priority. Damn!
“She will understand.” He said, more to himself then Scott.
He nodded. “Knowing how close she was to Ro, she will. But does she deserve what you’re doing to her? This limbo of uncertainty!”
“Mind ya fuckin business, slim!” he growled.
“As long as I keep seeing that hurt look in my wi…..her face, it is my business.” He replied heatedly. Logan watched the pain, regret and torment flashing across the other man’s face and felt sorry for him. After all, some of Scott’s, and their suffering was caused by him. And his stupidity. He knew Scott still loved Jean, was still linked to her. He knew if given half a change One-eye would jump at the chance to reunite with his first wife and deep down he knew she would give him a chance. If he weren’t in the way.
His face lost the angry scrawl. “I gotta do this, Scott. Jus like ya have ta get ya wife back.”
They stared at each other. Truth, understanding and forgiveness translated silently between them. Looking away, the x-leader released his own anger.
“Go find her.”
Logan nodded. “I’ll bring her back, safe.”
“Don’t worry about Jean. I’ll be there for her as much as she’ll let me.”
“I know.” Logan paused before allowing the next words flow from his mouth. “I should of never gotten in the way.”
Scott understood the words for the apology that it was meant to be.
“And I gave up on our love too soon. Between us we could fill a room with regret from just the last couple of months but what’s the point? Nothing would be different. She needed someone and I couldn’t be there.”
“Yeah.” He agreed. “Shoulda never been me.”
Hurrying away, he didn’t wait for a response but heard a whispered one anyway.
“Maybe.”





You must login () to review.