Author's Chapter Notes:
I was inspired by Gaineewop's piece Fade where Logan handcrafted a cradle for Kitty. It brought me to think what he would do for their child.

As always my thanks and devotion to Angel for guiding me with all the tiny things that I seem to miss when making sure it's ready for posting and encouraging me to continue writing.

I do not own anything in this piece. Characters belong to Marvel and are borrowed, Logan's woodcarving was started by Gaineewop and that's only borrowed.
Barely six hours after nearly losing her life, Ororo Munroe slipped into James "Logan" Howlett's bedroom. She buried herself into his arms and gave into the love and affection that he showered on her.

Seven months later Logan watched his wife be pampered on by the other women in the house. Never had he thought that he would fit in this well at the Xavier institute or find himself a wife. He had figured out almost five and a half months before that his lover had gotten pregnant. Pride welled in him and the day that she finally told him herself, Logan asked her to marry him.

From the moment that Jean, Marie, Kitty and Besty found out about the pregnancy they had formed a protective circle around Oro. Now they sat outside enjoying the late spring weather and talking about things that would be needed for the new baby. When the topic started heading towards family heirlooms, Oro's mood seemed to slip a little.

"We will not have that option." she said quietly. "Anything of mine was destroyed by a plane crash when I was a child. Logan has no memories of his childhood."

Logan sighed and let the women comfort his wife. He headed inside determined to help Oro be able to have those items that should have been passed down to her.

He glared at the computer in front of him, but finally figured out how to get to a program he could type something out on. He made up small pieces of papers which asked only one thing. Favorite item as a child. He set out a box where everyone would see it and placed the papers out next to it.

A week later he went back and got the box before anyone could see him. Logan had just spread out the papers on his desk when Warren came in.

"So you're the one looking to know about our pasts?" he teased.

"Yeah. Oro's watched everyone be able to get things passed down from their parents. S'not possible with us. They messed with my head so much I don't know where to even start for my childhood. Hers went up in smoke when she was a child."

Warren nodded and took a chair and turned it. He rested his arms over the back and took a couple of the papers looking over what was written. "So why ask us?" he smiled seeing not only his girlfriend's favorite item but their son's on the paper also.

Logan glanced up to see if he was serious or not. He looked over the answers and then to Warren. "Keep yer mouth shut. I'm takin the answers and givin' Oro the groups past."

The blonde sat in thought for a moment. "We have less than two months to get this put together. You want brand new things, used things that are still in decent shape?"

"As long as they ain't fallin' apart." he said and remembered something from another discussion the women were having. "Need to find a place where the others won't go. There's somethin' I need to do on my own. If you can get the other stuff.."

Warren nodded. "I can handle this. Let me take these and we'll meet up in two weeks see where we are with everything."

Logan nodded and took a piece of paper all ready laying out what he would need and what it would look like. In the meantime, Warren started collecting things that were written down. The more he thought about a couple of the things the more he got frustrated.

"Bet, does your grandmother still knit things?" he asked quietly one night watching her tuck their son in.

"Yea so does my Aunt. Why?"

"Do you think they would be willing to make a couple things?"

Betsy turned looking at her lover. "What are you up to?"

"Storm's gonna have a baby soon. She doesn't have family to give her a blanket like we got from your grandmother. I'd like to do that for her."

Betsy thought about it and nodded. "I can ask my aunt to do a couple blankets. See if Nana would make her a couple sweaters and booties."

"Perfect." Warren smiled and looked in at their son. "Storm's baby will never have to know that their grandmother didn't make it for them."

By Oro's ninth month Warren followed Logan out and helped him get a crate into the mansion. When they got it into an unused room, Logan popped the crate open and Warren gasped at the sight.

"It's incredible." he felt the carvings of stars and the moon, bears, tigers, lions and elephants.

"Couldn't make up my mind. Half of it came to me one day as she talked about livin' with her tribe in Africa. The other half came to me in flashbacks when I lived in Canada."

"It's perfect." he said and looked up at the feral. "I have all the things that were on the papers that I could get. A couple were impossible like someone wrote their mom. There was one hitch." Logan's head snapped up. "I was on the phone trying to get one of the items when Jean caught me. She knows that I'm getting the stuff."

Logan nodded. "Hard to keep things from her. She almost saw this. Next weekend is the last weekend most of the kids will be here and some of them have things they want to give her. I'll set up a party and then give her the chest."

Warren smiled. "Sounds perfect."

The night before the party, Jean walked into the room that the chest was in and turned the lights on. She went through looking at what was put in there. Carefully she placed two items of her own in the box; a blanket that her aunt made for her birth and wrapped up in it a well loved elephant. "You will never be able to say you are not loved with as many memories you will be surrounded by."

The afternoon of the party, Oro sat relaxed in her papasean chair as gifts were handed to her and she opened them. Some of the gifts were for the baby, but a few of the students chose the gift to be more for Oro. Handwritten coupons for them to watch the baby for her, to her laundry being done and everything in between.

As the last gift was being opened Logan and Warren came out trying to carry something covered in fabric and a bow. Peter saw Warren struggling and took that side easily helping Logan bring it over to Oro and set it down. She removed the bow and when the fabric was lifted tears came to her eyes.

Logan opened the lid and Oro smiled. Various blankets, stuffed animals and books lay in the chest, as if they had been there all along. Betsy grinned seeing one of the blankets and the layette set in the chest. Oro lifted the top blanket that seemed almost out of place because of the lump in it. She fingered it catching the scent of cedar and looked down when something fell out. She picked up the elephant, the tears fell as very tiny fragments flashed of a elephant very close to the one she held, in her hands as a child.

The group walked over and hugged her. "Where did this come from?" she asked finally getting herself under control.

Logan glanced at Warren then pulled Oro back so her head was resting against his stomach. "Our past." he smiled. "Don't matter if we remember bein' little. This is our family and they remember being little for us."

Warren brought Betsy closer as Jean and Peter followed suit with Rogue and Kitty respectively. "This chest contains the x-men family heirlooms."


Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you think of it. Also trying to figure out if I should stick with calling her Oro or just follow everyone else and call her Ro. Either way help me out please.



You must login () to review.