TITLE: FRIENDSHIP 2 - A tale of deception
AUTHORS: Mick'n'Star micknstar@fastmail.fm
Rating: G
Pairing: Ororo/Logan, in fact they're married.
Disclaimer: X-Men are Marvel's, story is ours. We don't make any money, in fact we lose some and Marvel's getting free publicity.
NOTE: Do not archive without permission We welcome every feedback, including negative ones. We can't do accents, as all will readily see. If FB consists of 'the accents are all wrong' consider it posted and by us humbly accepted.




FRIENDSHIP - 2

To W6C

All seemed forgotten a few weeks later when the whole team reunited after a couple of successful missions. They all ate together and even Warren exchanged pleasantries with Hank. Bobby had them in stitches with his clowning and Rogue seemed finally more relaxed and comfortable in her new role.

"…then the krot…" Gambit said for the third time, then sighed as another burst of laughter interrupted him.

"Nobody wants to know, Gumbo." Logan growled, more relaxed than he had been in any day during the past weeks. He had let out a goodish bit of rage against the hapless FOH he had met during his missions and that, and the friendly atmosphere of this communal dinner, hade made him feel better.

"Weh, can see that, mec. Gambit has los' his touch. That's so sad."

"And about time." Ororo said laughing "Your so-called touch is your least endearing trait."

"Stormy! You woun' me to the core, chere!" A melodramatic hand on heart and a mock faint, followed the anguished cry.

"Clown." Grumped Logan, but he was smiling.

********

That night few X-Men slept in their beds. Wolverine went out for a prowl kissing his sleeping bride 'happy dreams' on her lids. Scott was on guard duty and Jean slept peacefully sprawled in her bed. Bobby had taken Hank to a rock concert and had disappeared in the crowd, hot on the tail of a luscious miniskirted groupie. Doc McCoy discovered the band wasn't half bad and decided to stay.

Rogue couldn't sleep, her mind revolving on exercising schedules for the next days, so she went for a solitary night flight. Plagued by an irrational nervousness, Kurt haunted the student's wing, careful not to disturb their sleep. Remy had gone to drown his loneliness in several glasses of Calvados, but none of the ladies eyeing him was alluring enough to make him stay for long..

At sunrise all were back in their beds and were finally oblivious to the world when a sudden crack of lightning and a roar of torrential rain made the window rattle and propelled everyone out of the bed.

"Ro?" Logan sat up suddenly in bed blinking away sleep. He turned to her place, but knew she was not in their bed at once. "Ro!!" he yelled and was running down the hall in a second.

Without a by your leave he pushed through the assembled X-Men and pelted half naked out of the mansion.

"Where is that madman going?" Hank had a bit of a headache and was not inclined to courtesy.

"The hothouse!" Remy threw over his shoulder running after his friend. When he arrived there, sopping wet with the unceasing rain, Ororo was standing amid the ruins of her beloved plants, screaming a silent scream that made the sky roil and break with electric sobs.

"Ro!!! Stop that!!!!" Logan was shouting as he grabbed his wife's arms to try and get her attention, but her fury of pain at the death of her plants was too great.

Gambit turned back and ran to the Mansion. "Jean!" he yelled "Get into Stormy's head an' make her stop! Somebody's smashed all her plants an' she won' listen t'Logan!"

"Of course not." Warren icy voice made everyone turn to him.

"An' why of course, p'tit poulet?"

"That animal went on a rampage in his wife's hothouse and she knows it."

Another gush of rain laden wind made Remy shiver and reflect. No time to lose bandying words with the winged mutant, stopping Ororo was much more important.

"Jean!" he pleaded "She'll drown the state!"

"You're right, Gambit. I hate to do it, but this is clearly an emergency."

Logan was holding on to his goddess as tight as he could without hurting her, calling her name and all the lovenames he had ever used to wake her up from her trance of rage. He was starting to think he'd have to slap her, when she stopped abruptly her silent keening and slumped in his arms.

"Ro!" he yelped, caught by a new fear "Speak to me!"

"I'm alright, Logan. Jean stopped me. I'm sorry, when I saw what that… that…" An ominous rumble echoed her sputtering words.

"Fucking scrote." Wolverine rasped hugging his wife and finally breathing deeply in relief. "I understand you, puss." Then he saw the marks on the steel benches and sighed. "They'll put this on me, look at those."

"I've seen them." The windrider was back to herself "But only a cretin would imagine you would do this to me, love. This should only make them see how unfounded were their accusations."

"Maybe." Logan was uncertain "They should see it, yes, but do you really think they will?"

"Oh, yes. Not even Warren can be so blind. Come, I have to apologise to them." A peeping sun answered her dawning smile "Maybe the sacrifice of my poor plants won't have been in vain." Ororo smiled down at her man. "I'm sorry I frightened you, I lost all control for a moment."

"Nevermind, darling. I'm sorry for your poor plants. Can't you save some of them at least?"

"No, I don’t think so. I feel they are all dead. Plants feel pain like animals, you know? But there's no presence here save you and me. Let's go."

*****

"I'm sorry they put you in the spot once again, man." Scott was frowning so hard his glasses were riding on his nose.

"Ro hoped they'd see I wouldn't hurt her plants, but…" Logan sighed and untabbed another beer.

"Aren't you drinking too much?"

"Nah. Healin' factor. Alcohol hasn't got a chance, really. Oh well, what now? Will you speak to Rogue?"

"Wouldn't it be simpler to let her touch you, Logan? You're the only one not risking very much, after all." Cyke took another sip of his beer and he didn't see the Wolverine's pained expression. "It would shut her up and make her start a proper inquest." He added "It's only logical."

"Well it's not logical to me, bub. She ain't selective. I'm not prepared to share my life and my nights with Ro with her. The only person I'd let into my head is Red and she can't do it. No, I stand or fail on myself in this." Logan got up.

"Look," Cyke said, "it's not as simple as you think for me to talk to Rogue. She has Warren pestering her already. She hasn't taken action and this isn't good, but at least she hasn't caved in to his requests to lock you up."

"I'd really like to her try." Bristles up, Logan turned to his new friend and smirked "Her and that stuck-up overgrown chicken!"

"Must you and Remy be always insulting him?" Scott sighed "I know Warren can be irritating and sometimes offensive, but you never give him an opening."

"I dint know he was your friend, bub. Since when? From what Red told me he did his very best to cut you out years ago."

"Sure he's my friend. He's an X-Man, we started together and he's always guarded my back in battles long before you were one of us. As for 'Red' " he smirked "I shouldn't be talking to you now, if that were a good reason, now, should I?"

"Yeh, makes sense. Alright, I'll try and tone it down, but you tell that to Gambit. I've no wish to be exploded, if you have."

Cyke barked a short humourless laugh.

********

"I have called you to this meeting because recent happenings give me no choice." Rogue was grim and deadly serious, she had thought furiously all day about what to do and had to endure Warren's and Scott's lectures about the responsibility of command. She had come to her decision and she was not going to be swayed by anyone.

"Wolverine, I have to keep you in a detention cell." She added baldly.

"You are not locking my Logan up!!" Ororo's voice mixed with the thunder until a lightning bold fell right on the Mansion sounding like the last trumpet.

"No-one is goin' to lock anyone, is they, chere?" There was an edge to Gambit's vice rarely heard even in a fight.

Rogue stood her ground, she knew she would get opposition and she was prepared to it… up to a point.

"Rogue," Jean's voice was level, but there was a seething power barely held in check behind it and the shift leader felt it from top to toe, "As Remy said, you aren't going to lock anyone up. I, for one, do not think Logan would ever hurt his wife so. I propose a 20 days truce. I beg Logan ad Ro to stay here, because of course the person who's doing this will not strike while Wolverine's away.

"And no, Rogue, I'm not biased because I had a bit of an affair with Logan. Gauge how biased you still are against Gambit before you offer to touch anyone. Disapproval by murder was not a way to prove you can handle absorption. I wish all teachers would not spill this on to the students, but we're human, albeit mutants. A 20 days vacation from classes wont hurt our students more than this is hurting them." Her brow furrowed "I've caught glimpses I do not wish to catch again." She added.

TBC





You must login () to review.