Title: Hunter
by: Satine16
Disclaimer: All of the characters belong to Marvel, not me! I am not doing this for any money, so please don’t sue me!

Chapter 1: Again

It had been two years. Two years was a very long time. The mansion still looked the same. The gardens were still the same. Everything was still the same. She hoped. Her tan, high-heeled boots crunched as she made her way up the gravel drive. The yellow taxi-cab had just pulled away. Her silver white locks were tied up in a neat bun, and they rested smoothly on the back of her neck. Designer names had never meant much to her: her simple slacks and sweater fitted her mellow composure. She wore no make-up and her complexion was glowing in the new morning sun. Her suitcase was small. There was only one left. Wary, she carried at her side as she lifted the knocker on the large mahogany door of Xavier’s School for the Gifted.
Jean answered. She was thin again after having the baby, a toddler now, resting on her hipbone when she opened the door. The elation she expressed at seeing her old friend was shared by many at the school. Remy was happy to see that Ororo had rediscovered the sanity that had grounded her when they had first met. It was evident. Ororo was finally happy within her own skin. Everyone gathered in the kitchen, and Hank handed Ororo a cup of peppermint tea, and the natural game of catch up commenced.
Ororo quickly discovered that Jubilee and Bobby were dating, Remy and Rogue were still attached at the hip, Scott and Jean had named their little boy Nathan, Hank was continuing his research, and the Professor had just published his third book. Nothing had changed. She looked around the crowd, and did not see the one face she had come to miss the most in her two years.
“Where’s Logan?”
Jean’s expression was saddened, serious. Her eyes widened and she said, “He left Ororo.”
“Oh,” her expression was one of shock, “So he’ll be back in around a week or so, right?”
“No, sweetie,” her voice was soft as she handed the boy to Scott, “He didn’t leave for the Professor. He left for himself. Six months ago. None of us know if he’s coming back. Or where he is for that matter.”
“Oh,” in her face the grief was evident as her eyes shifted to the floor. In her head she heard Jean say, I’m so sorry, babe,” and she raised her eyes to meet with her piercing blue gaze. There was real sympathy there. Compassion from what was once the competition.
Rogue walked Ororo back to her old room. The old wood paneled hallways seemed just the same, the carpeting was the same, the smell was even unchanged. She was home. She passed Logan’s old room on the way to her own.
“Is there anyone in there, now?”
“No. Ah think the Professor is still hoping he’ll be back.”
“Oh?”
“Don’t do this. Ya left him with a fucking letter.”
“Excuse me?”
“You never said goodbye. How would you have felt, situations reversed? Logan’s been through enough without any closure. You were just another item to add to the list,” with that she turned on her heel and sauntered down the hallway.
Within a month Ororo was once again perfectly at home within the walls of the school. She found herself quickly restored to her post at Scott’s side, planning and helping. It felt nice to be second on the food chain again. Scott had awarded her much of the geographical strategies. Mostly that meant her time was spent pouring over maps. It had been an easy month growing accustomed to the old ways again.
She had set up camp in the den that evening, and studied the large maps while she listened to the orchestral music playing on the old radio. Slowly sipping a mug of tea she let her foot dangle from the edge of her seat, the other tucked snugly underneath her. The bright moonlight poured in through the large window and cast a silver tint to the yellow lights that lit the room.
The gravel in the drive tore up under the tires the way it always had. He tore off his helmet as he dismounted the bike and put down the kickstand. His dark hair was still as wild as ever, and the submerged glint in his eyes still shone brightly. It was a black night with a full moon. Every inch of the property was bathed in silver light. His worn jeans and brown leather jacket looked out of place in the picturesque scenery. In a few fierce steps he was once again inside the only place that had not assumed he had to be on his own to thrive.
“Jean?”
Jean’s red hair flew as she whipped her head around to find Logan standing in the door. A large, white smile spread across her face and she said, “You came back.”
“You miss me?”
“It’s good to have you back, Logan. How did every-,”
“Don’t wanna talk about it.”
“Oh, alright, then.”
“Whadid I miss?”
“ Honestly?”
“You’re a terrible liar, Red.”
“Ororo’s back,” as she said this his eyes flashed, and his expression became grim.
“When?”
“A month ago. She’s in the den.”
“Thanks, Red.”
“Logan?”
“Don’t do anything stupid.”
He cocked one eyebrow and turned away from her walking to where Ororo had been camped out for the evening. When he entered the room he took note of her, but purposely ignored her existence. As he entered her head shot up, to see who would be disturbing her. The look on her face became that of amazement as she saw the individual.
“Hello, Logan.”
He turned to look at her, pouring a glass of whiskey first. He didn’t respond. Just stared at her: his eyes shot through her body.
“Did you find what you were looking for?”
“Did you?” he spat.
“Yes.”
Once again he just stared. She wasn’t even worth his words anymore. Stupid bitch.
“Logan? Do you think you could forgive me?”
Again , no words. He just turned and left the room, leaving his empty glass on the polished wood of the end table.
Ororo watched him go; knowing what she had wanted to say. Knowing that she would be risking her heart to say it. She wanted him. Seeing him only once reminded her of his taste, and his hands and the way his mouth felt against her skin. She missed him.





You must login () to review.