My consciousness returned and at first I could only hear wordless distant sounds, made clearer as my hearing was the first of my senses that I regained.
“I can sense him now” It was Xaviers voice. My face was hurting and I tried to open my eyes. Where was I? I was laying down, on a bed and smelled chemicals, heard the buzzing of equipment. How long had I been unconscious?
“James, can you hear us?” Hank’s voice, worried and tired, sad. So many emotions. I tried to answer but only a pained sound escaped my lips. His soft furry hands traced my face. I was being healed but slowly as I had inherited my fathers healing ability. I was in a medical ward.
“Don’t try to speak. Everything will be fine.”
“B..Bell?” I managed to speak her name.
“She is fine Jimmy, she will be here soon.” Hank answered. I had more questions, more things I wanted to tell, but my voice failed me. I couldn’t open my eyes. How was Mr LeBeau doing?
::Remy is in a critical condition James. Warren and your mother are attending him. Please, rest and let your body heal:: Xavier’s voice was soothing, suggestive. I tried to fight it off as I felt myself drifting off.
“What happened Charles? Why couldn’t you sense him until now?” I heard my father ask as sleep tried to overwhelm me.
“I don’t know. Oh God…!” Xaviers deep intake of breath made me fight harder to stay awake.
“What is it?” Hank took my hand, holding it hard
“He knows. He…he learned…there’s so much. But how is that possible?”
“Charles!” He almost shouted in a near growl, exasperated and fearful. There was silence and I had almost drifted off when I from afar heard Xavier’s wary voice.
“James somehow absorbed Gambit’s life. No he hasn’t drained him…only he knows every part of Gambits life. It was the blood. Like Rogue’s power, he can absorb peoples memories, but not by touch..he does it by tasting their blood. He can do that without erasing their memories and apparently without stealing their powers. It seems he absorbed Belladonna’s memories too. This must be his true mutation, his secondary mutation as the others seemed to be legacies from his parents. It could explain why I was not able to reach his mind before. He was absorbing from Gambit”
“How does that affect him? Is he changed? Has he got Remy’s and Bella’s personalities?” My fathers voice was faint, seemed far away. I could hardly hear Xavier’s answer.
“No at least I don’t think so. His brain pattern are the same. He remembers what he absorbed, but more like a tale told.”
“If he knows everything Remy knew…”
“Yes Hank…he knows what happened. I think we need to assemble the others.”
Father said something, lost to me as I fell asleep.

I awoke with a scream, bolting up and claws at the ready. I was alone in the dark ward. Only small lights from the displays shone, in green, blue and red. I could feel my heart pounding and sweat dampening my brows. My dreams had been of Remy’s memory of that night. I saw how my father drove his blades through my mother, again, again and again, howling with fury and madness. Remy’s memories came flowing back, and I felt nauseated. I started to shake, my whole body trembling and I raised my knees up to my chest in the bed, cradling my arms around them as the trembling increased. Why had he done it? None knew. Not even Xavier. But they had known he killed her, slaughtered my mother, and they hadn’t told me.

I had been old enough to witness what he had done, but I had suppressed the horrifying memory. My memories of my birthparents hadn’t been clear. When I saw pictures and footages of my mother, I felt love and sadness. Pictures of my father had given me unease when I was younger. I was afraid of him and hadn’t known why. The fear turned to resentment and hate with time, and I still didn’t know why I felt that. Hank and Cecilia had told me great stories about him, and I had read about Logan, or Wolverine as was his codename when he was an X-man. I remembered one time, when I was seven years old and Hank was telling me a bedtime story about the X-men. This one featuring my father. I had started to cry feeling unexpected fear. Hank never spoke about him again. The stories about my mother I treasured and those I never tired of hearing.

Now all the fear and hate I’d associated with my father made sense, and a rage such I’d never experienced before filled me. Wolverine had taken my mother from me. He. That bastard. My father.

I didn’t realize I was moving until I stood on the cool floor, hearing a soft sound from a sensor probably installed to sound an alert when it registered movement. My father or someone else would probably enter the ward soon. They wouldn’t let me be alone for long. I didn’t want to see them or listen to their fucking explanations or excuses. They could all go to hell. It was their fault too. They should have known you couldn’t tame a rabid beast as Wolverine. He was dead, but that didn’t give me any satisfaction. He should have suffered worse before Remy plunged the staff into him. I would have made him suffer for eternity. It was I who should have made him pay. My body was healed, but my mind was hurting with rage and sorrow. I wasn’t thinking when I ran. I knew they would find me, and catch me before I went too far, so I had to go quickly. The door was locked, but it didn’t take long before I cracked the code and the doors parted, letting me out to the dimly lit hallway. I don’t know what I was expecting when I fled the ward, ran through the hallway’s, dodging, hiding and waiting until people were out of sight. It was dark when I came out. The air was cool against my bare skin. I was wearing a pair of boxer’s only. The cool air was soothing, and I paused, standing beside a statue of Magnus Lehnsherr, just outside the academy. Resting my palm at the hard marble surface I tried to calm down, to think about what I was doing, what I was about to do. What was my plans? I wanted revenge. I wanted to kill that son of a bitch that had sired me. But he was already dead, had been for almost twenty years. My claws slid on the marble as I fisted my hand. Then a thought hit me. The time machine. Hank had built a prototype that in theory should work. I had helped him building and planning it. It was a project out of curiosity mostly, because we didn’t plan on using it. Hank knew the dangers of tampering with time which he explained to me. But now I could care less. If it worked, I could go back in time and kill the bastard, preventing my mothers death. If it didn’t work, then to hell with it all. My world was falling apart. They had lied to me. I had hurt Bella and probably killed her father. They couldn’t trust me now, and I could never trust them,. Never forgive them for what they had done. I felt a tug at my consciousness, recognizing the probing of a telepath and I slammed up my shields, started to move at once.
I had inherited my mothers ability, at a limited degree to control the winds. I could whip up a storm, and let the wind’s carry me. But unlike her, this power wasn’t tied to my emotions, and I had to work harder to call the winds, forcing them to my aid. My feet lifted from the gravel path as a strong current lifted me up. Usually I didn’t dare to fly high, incase I would loose control and the wind died. But I was reckless in my anger, and flew higher than ever before. Flying above rooftops I choose a destination away from the academy, away from Genosha. I realized that to execute my plan, I needed more than my father’s time machine. I needed Nathaniel Essex, Mr Sinister.

From Gambit’s memories I knew the man as well as the Cajun did, I knew where and how I could find him. I pushed on, despite being tiered, forced my body and mind to endure the long flight, never taking a break. Genosha was a fairly peaceful place, mostly inhabited by mutants and considered a haven for our kind. Outside, peace was difficult for mutants to find. The governments made it a crime to harass mutants, but not many were convicted and they put no real effort to try make our life easier. Their philosophy seemed to be that if mutants find that life among sapiens was difficult, they should move, There were few places like Genosha and the mutant population was growing. From history lessons I knew Genosha had been destroyed several times, by sentinels controlled by sapiens, bent on destroying what they deemed a threat against the rest of the world. Organizations like FOH were ruthless in their hate. But still, there were many mutants living outside of Genosha, trying to live unnoticed, and many could get away with it, if their mutant-gene didn’t show visible treats. Some mutant’s lived like homeless people in the subways and alleys. Other lived like kings, like those in the Hellfire club. Not many knew that this exclusive club was run by mutants, and had been for many generations. The white queen, once an X-man had taken up her position as one of the most influential, rich women, and controlled the inner circle with iron fist, and she could have ruled unopposed if her opponent wasn’t the Black King, Nathaniel Essex. Mr Sinister had resources that easily could compete with Xavier’s. A genius and criminal mastermind that had tormented the X-men and other heroes from their past. He was ruthless, vicious and one of the most hated and feared men on the planet, on most of the known worlds. It was believed he was immortal. From Gambits memories I knew he could be charming as a snake, hypnotizing his victims before striking down. You couldn’t and should never trust him, never turn to him for help as he would make you pay in ways you never could fathom. He was dangerous and as evil as anyone could be. I knew that and still I didn’t care. I needed him.





You must login () to review.