“My God!” Hank exclaimed horrified at the sight of the young boy. It looked like he had been butchered by some animal, how could he had strength to do that to himself? How and why? He had only left the ward for a few minutes…a few minutes when he had heard the scream and rushed as fast as he could on all four. But it had been too late. The scent of blood is heavy and sickening. He could have thrown up there and then. It was just a child, a boy that he should have been here to save. His vitals had been critical, but yet steady enough he had believed. That was why he had allowed himself the few minutes it would take to get the soda.

He didn’t know anything about the John Doe, only that the boy had touched something deep in him when he had called him “dad”. He had never thought of the possibilities of having a child, and doubted he would ever get children. Even if he could win a woman heart despite his monstrous appearance, he wouldn’t be able to father a child. In his scientific mind, he had discarded it and didn’t think about it. But this unknown boy had called him “dad”, and from that moment he knew his perceptions were changed.

“Goddess” He didn’t need to turn to see Ororo in the doorway.

“Christ. Hank, what..?” Several people filed in. Ororo went to the boys side, followed closely by Logan. Tears where in her eyes. She lost some control as he could hear rain starting outside.

Logan had seen sights in his many years that would have turned hard men’s guts out, but this was almost too much for him. When he had first laid eyes on the boy he had seen something…almost familiar, but had shrugged it away. The boy had been sick. Bleeding blisters on his skin and was in such pain he couldn’t let himself to fight him. There were always young pups and screw ups that came searching for him to extract some kind of revenge. He always made short business of them, learning them a lesson they soon wouldn’t forget. But this kid was different. He had felt some kind of…connection with him. Not yet sure if it was some clone, or if it had been a misguided kid that had let the U-Men change him or something. He didn’t know who the boy was, but he would find out. He would find out why he thought he had killed his mother. He put his arm around Ororo. Her sorrow didn’t surprise him. She had seen the boy when he was unconscious and had held his hand. Her presence had calmed him which hadn’t surprised Logan. Ororo possessed the gift to give comfort and unconditional love. Her heart had went out to the boy, and she had understood Logan when he wanted to find out who he was.

“Good Lord” Even Emma, former White Queen of the hellfire club couldn’t be untouched by the sight. Scott squeezed her shoulder and steeled himself.

“We need to get out everyone. The Professor and Hank will…take care of him now. We can’t do anything more.” Some of the less hardened X-men were eager to obey and moved off the ward.

“I’m staying” There was steel in Logan’s voice, and Scott for once didn’t challenge him.

“I too will stay” despite the tears, Ororo’s voice was firm, and once again Scott didn’t persist. They left, and soon it was only Ororo, Logan and Hank standing silent by the young John Does body.

Charles Xavier knew that the boy had died. Both from his ailing body and from his own claws. The boy, James McCoy Howlet if what he had found out was the truth. Could it really be possible? That question is something you should use rarely considering the X-men. He already had proof of time traveling and alternative reality jumpers. He only had to look at Cable, Bishop and Rachel. But this… James story…Good God. He don’t even know if James was from an alternate reality or from the future…or if all was something concocted by a sick mind. But it was too detailed to be such. He had sensed James agony and had reached out to him. The thoughts of the boy had been frantic, painful and desperate as he tried to hold on till he had told him all that had happened. James had given him free access to his mind moments before he died and Xavier had seen it all. It was a knowledge he would gladly be rid off. No sane man would want a handbook to the future, to know all the sorrows or even joys that awaited. If it were true, he could not feel any anger at James. Not when he knew the pain the boy had felt.

Xavier stroke a hand over his face. He had to speak to Logan, if it was true, he had to do all in his power to find that virus before it was too late. For a moment the thought struck him that maybe James was right, but discarded it guiltily. He couldn’t sacrifice one to save another. But how was he to prevent the possible tragedies that would happen by James actions? Logan had been injured but had healed from the fight with James. Possibly their blood had mixed and the virus had entered Logan’s body. How could he detect it? And how was he going to explain James existence without revealing too much? It was bad enough that he knew that much about the future, he could not let the others know. With a sigh, he straightened up in his wheelchair and continued on his way to the ward.





You must login () to review.