“I will not celebrate my Wakening” I was at the school grounds, studying for an upcoming exam, but raised my head from the book, as I surprised looked at Brandon Worthington IV.
“Why?” I blurted out. He had the coolest power I’d seen. Could blend in with the shadows and teleport through darkness. His powers had Woken late at age eighteen.
“It’s a stupid custom. They didn’t have it before. My mum and dad never had a Wakening so why should I?”
“Because they couldn’t. There were no safe places for mutants and they mostly had to hide their gifts. You know your dad was prosecuted for his wings, right?”
“Of course I know. They show the The Great Prosecution down our throats every day! But it’s all changed. Almost everyone here is a mutant, and the rest of the world don’t give a damn about us.”
“There are still reports of mutant being hunted..” I started, but Brandon cut me off with a sneer.
“Mostly fabricated. Haven’t you seen how non mutants are treated here? They are called flatscans and worse. You know Susan Summers? Her mother was the freaking Phoenix! And yet she don’t posses the x-gene, and for that she is seen as worthless by us homo superior. Hmph, superior my ass!”
I couldn’t respond to that, and Brandon continued.
“I think most of what they tell us is exaggerated anyway. But I have started this community, and we want to ban the Wakening. Here, take a look” He handed me a flyer, by his expectant look, I knew he wanted me to join their cause.
“I don’t know Brandon”
“Think about it will you? You don’t have to make up your mind yet. But I’m telling you, when we graduate, I’m leaving this place. I’m gonna get out of here and live in the real world. “
I guess he could do that. He looked completely human. Caucasian with slight Asian features. Girls found him handsome, and his parent’s were filthy rich. If he didn’t use his powers he could live in the “real” world as he called it. I hoped that he wouldn’t regret this decision.
“I will think about it” I replied and looked at the flyer.

*


The dream fades away, another takes it’s place as I’m traveling on, surrounded by light





You must login () to review.