There were rapid dreams, all jumbled together, but I do recognize them. Jean Grey Summers funeral. My Wakening. Bella’s wakening. She had been disappointed to learn she was an empath. My graduation from the academy. And Halloween at Worthington mansion.

*


I arrived with my parents. They had dressed up like some old movie stars. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, my father had explained sounding scandalized when I didn’t know who they were. It was in the evening, darkness hadn’t settled yet. We were the last to arrive as usual. Father always had difficult to pull away from his various projects and mother had to drag him off in the last minute. The Worthington mansion was one of the largest estates here in Genosha. Only surpassed by the academy and the city hall. It was really to big for a family of three, two now that Brandon had moved out. Warren and Elizabeth Worthington were both from rich families and was comfortable with it I guess. The mansion looked like those Victorian estates from the south. White marble with tall pillars, balconies and tall windows. Carefully trimmed trees and bushes stood in perfect symmetry in the vast grounds. Roses and various other plants grew in the what you could call this private park. You could fit three of our house in this place. Now as it was Halloween, Mr and Mrs Braddock had decorated the grounds, making it look like the Graveyard God forgot. Holo images of ghosts drifted around wailing. Huge pumpkins with carved out eyes and wide grins where strategically placed around the lawn and marble steps, glowing from the candles placed inside them.
“They have outdone themselves, yet again” Father chuckled as a ghost of a woman drifted about with her head tucked under her arm.
“Honestly, it’s too much. The children will have nightmares for weeks if they see this”
“Haven’t you seen the Disney movies? This is nothing compared to them! Little Charlie will find this no scarier than we did Dr Snuggles!”
“Dr Snuggles?” Mother sounded amused
“You watched Dr Snuggles?”
“I was a kid!”
“It was in the 1980:s when it first aired Hank. You were what, twenty then?”
“As I said, a kid. Now shall we? We are late”
Mother tried unsuccessfully to stifle her laughter. Her shoulders shook as father led her up the marble stairs. I followed them, smiling. It was a good evening. Inside, the mansion was decorated with haunting pictures, curtains and statues. It looked like a derelict Gothic Church seen in vampire flicks. They even had an holo image of count Dracula partly hidden behind a curtain. Mostly close friends to the Worthington's were invited I observed. I was a bit surprised to see mr Rasputin in a costume. As my father seemed when he stared at this huge man wearing pirates outfit, eye patch ,bandana and a lethal looking dagger. He looked up at us when we entered and raised a hand in greeting. Fathers wide grin showed fangs and we started towards Mr Rasputin and his wife. Katherine Pryde, our Mayor, had a seemingly heavy costume, dressed up as queen Elizabeth I of England. She was positively littered with fake jewels and a crown rested on her grey-streaked auburn hair. She tried an haughty air when father bowed, graciously as ever. Then she let go of all pretenses as she hugged him and kissed his cheek.
“Hank! I haven’t seen you in ages! How are you doing? Still molting away in your lab?”
“I wouldn’t let him Kitty” Mother received a hug and they laughed. Then she turned to me a radiant smile that banished the years from her face.
“Come here you huge lummox. It’s not fitting for a queen to stand on her toes trying to kiss a handsome boy as yourself” I complied, feeling her soft lips brushing my cheeks. Kitty was a close friend to mum and dad, but as the mayor, she hadn’t much time for her friends. When Illyana and I had been younger, I was often at their house and I had come to view Kitty and Piotr as my aunt and uncle. Servants came with refreshment and others came to speak with us. Mingling around exchanging hugs and kisses, it was like a big family reunion. Scott Summers was like I always remember him, somber and somehow distant. He had become more so after his wife died. Susie stayed home with him, and seemed content. His other daughter, Rachel was married and expected a child. Nathan Summers, his son that seemed almost older than Scott was a grandparent. Odd as it may seem, nothing really could surprise us. Alex and Lorna Summers were teachers at the academy, their children were older than me and had moved out. Carter, their oldest son, who was adopted was here too with his family. The Summers family was huge, and we use to joke that probably everyone will found out they were somehow related to a Summers. They even had relatives living in Shi’ar. Bishop and his grandson attended the party. His daughter had asked him to take the boy with him for a time, so that he may learn more of his heritage from earth. Aliyha was the majestrix of the Shi’ar empire, taking the throne after her mothers death. Bishop was one of the largest men I’ve seen. He was even bigger than mr Rasputin, and I’ve heard great tales about him, when he was an X-man. I was about to follow my father to greet him, when someone tugged my arm. I turned around, and had to bite my tongue when I faced Bella.
“Stop laughing thick head. Ah’m Scarlet O’Hara ya twit! She dressed like this when she went to see Rhet Buttler in jail!” I was reminded that it was very hard to masque your feelings when being around an empath. She wore a dress, seemingly made of some very old curtains. White with large green flowers, a lace bonnet and an umbrella. She glared at me.
“Besides, ya don’t look so great either. Who are ya supposed ta be? A drowning victim?” She sniffed and folded her arms in a very un-lady like manner.
“You look great Bell...honestly!” I bent down and kissed her. She returned the kiss, sullenly.
“And I’m supposed to be Hanibal Lectar” I whispered and bit her ear. She laughed and slapped me.
“Oh gross! Ah can’t believe Ah’m actually gonna move in with ya” It took a while before I realized what she said. She rolled her eyes at my surprised look.
“Really you want to? I’ve looked at an apartment on Lensherr street, it’s small but..” She interrupted me.
“Lensherr street? That’s an expensive neighborhood Jimmy, can we afford it?”
“I’m gonna get a promotion, so yes we can afford it.” Her squeal of delight made many heads turn our way. She flung her arms around my neck and kissed me.
“Oh Jimmy are ya sure?? That’s so great!” We had talked about moving in together. Bella was in college, taking a major in economics , while I’d been working for six months at Stark Enterprises. Bella had sounded unsure when I first brought it up, but now, she left no doubt that she was ready to take the step. We had been a couple for four years, and with my work and Bella’s studies we didn’t meet each other as often as we wished.
“Have ya told yer folks?”
“No not yet, I wasn’t sure if you wanted to. But I will tell them now. “
“Great, Ah’d to tell ma an pa too. But wait Jimmy, come outside with me. I need ta tell ya sum’thin” I looked at her askance, feeling worried at her now serious expression. She took me by the arm and I followed as she started towards the backdoor. We pushed away the cobwebs covering the doorway as we entered the backyard. A small pathway led to the huge swimming pool, now illuminated by lights. A pool house was illuminated from within. There were several people outside, talking, eating and drinking.. We nodded hasty greetings before Bella dragged me on, behind the pool house to a small lilac bower. The scent of lilacs was almost too strong for my senses.
“What is it Bell?” My worry increased as I now sensed the fear from her. She took my hand, stroking the back of my hand, fingers lingering on my sensitive knuckles. I had exercised before we went to the masquerade, and the skin was a bit sore from releasing my claws.
“I’ve found out something about your parents. Your real parents.” She held her hand firmly against my knuckles and looked me in the eyes. Fear, and resolve.
“What?” My voice sounded hoarse in my ears. I clenched my fists, her hands forming around my balled fist. Later I would realize how much courage and trust she showed. Knowing that I could release those sharp claws, hurting her when I lost control.
“Ah overheard mah folks talking before. They didn’t know ah could hear them. They didn’t say much, and ah wasn’t paying attention ‘til they mentioned them. It’s possible that ah heard wrong Jimmy.” She sensed my impatience, made clearer as I started to growl. She didn’t flinch, didn’t avert her eyes.
“Ah’m sorry baby…but ah think yer folks were killed...murdered”





You must login () to review.